Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Leader's'' Debate - TV3 - 8.00PM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

How many more of these farces do we have to endure until election day?

Tonight convinced me that this whole televised leaders debate malarkey is pointless.

It would be far better if they got out among the electorate. They should go to far flung constituencies like Roscommon/South Leitrim and make speeches in little heard of towns like Carrick-on-Shannon. No, wait, what...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Is Matt Cooper wired or what?
    the level of debate was bloody woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Terri Prone - Martin Won

Rafter - Gilmore Won

Matt Cooper - Kenny Won, but Martin did well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

And that stupid witch Terry Prone thinks that VB was a great moderator???

Jesus wept!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I couldn't vote for Labour after watching Gilmore tonight (and I was considering it). He was shocking. FG for me now.
    Ironic considering Kenny lacked the courage to even attempt to go up against a well polished MM. Who will you vote for if/when Kenny does decide to turn up and use Gerry Adams as a human shield to protect himself against Gilmore and Martin. If your going to base your vote on a PR management exercise (thats what a televised political debate is) then at least wait for the Kenny show to make your choice.

Can you believe this post match analysis crap. That's how shallow politics is here (and everywhere I suppose): analysis of the performances! Who won who lost. Craaaaaap

I'd rather see the Apres Match boys do the match analysis tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The irony if that is the right word of being lectured to by teacher Martin as if he knows best and the last 14 years were nothing to do with him, and really he believes he/FF did the right thing.....Enda did the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Dreadful debate. Helped me in no way.

Now id like for a canvessor to turn up and explain to me what either of the parties will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    And that's the reason we've had Fianna Fail for 14 years, will we never learn.

Thats the reason we have had the wrong politicians for the last 30+ years. Its funny when people slag off voters of FF and presume that getting rid of FF gets rid of the culture in politics.

Moral leadership has not been shown by anybody. People who hate FF seem to ignore this fact and make the broad presumption that anybody else will be better.

When a party starts looking for criminal investigations and serious penaltys for their own actions, then I will finally believe we have a differant kind of politics in this country. Until then, we will just keep voting for the lame alternative (whose greatest trait is that "they arent FF"!:rolleyes:) and we will just limp from one mess to another . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I'd rather see the Apres Match boys do the match analysis tbh

They wouldn't be as funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

That moron Matt Cooper thinks that it was a good debate???

FFS why are you surprised?...all these folks (like economists) are hoares to their paymasters.
    He's hardly going to turn up on TV3 and say it was crap and collect his cheque on the way out the door.
    Wake up and join the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

That was one of the most boring debates I've ever watched. I'm come out of it feeling that neither Labour nor Fianna Fail have a clue what to do if they get into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

folan wrote: »
    thats the guy who was at a rally talking to his people?

Yea, talking to a few hundred people instead of a few hundred thousand;)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

"That's all very well for the civics class" You bitch!!! It's supposed to be about civics not PR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

clown bag wrote: »
    Ironic considering Kenny lacked the courage to even attempt to go up against a well polished MM. Who will you vote for if/when Kenny does decide to turn up and use Gerry Adams as a human shield to protect himself against Gilmore and Martin. If your going to base your vote on a PR management exercise (thats what a televised political debate is) then at least wait for the Kenny show to make your choice.

But isn't kenny doing two 3-way debates, one on RTE and one on TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

And Terri Prone thinks VB won... this is just tabloid nonsense now, TV3 making the most of the limelight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Terri Prone doth protest too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Keith Fahey has just scored a beauty fro a free. 83 mins. Ireland lead 3 - 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

No surprise Terry FF Prone is supporting Martin.

It is amazing how many on here are falling for the FF public debating skills.

FOr god sake people they are telling you lies, like they have done for years. Use your brains here.

• Advertisement

folan wrote: »
    Dreadful debate. Helped me in no way.

Now id like for a canvessor to turn up and explain to me what either of the parties will do.

Indeed, I thought Noonan was far more impressive last night on the Frontline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Cooper seems hell-bent on creating justification for having the debate on TV3 in the first place.

Anything he's said so far is rubbish, but is obviously pandering to his employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

3 0 to ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

These 4 are talking some amount of trout. Ireland have scored 3 goals in a match ( just thought i'd brighten everyones night up after this rubbish and needless debate) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

What planet are these muppets on?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What exactly did people really expect from this debate ?

As far as I am concerned people who watched can still hate FF and never vote for them again, but at least they will struggle to continue ignoring the completely ridiculous economic policies of labour and have surely seen that Gilmore is little more then hot air . .

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Must have killed Vincent not to be able to harang them!

A pissy wet night in the west of Ireland, pubs closed, no Sky to watch soccer so stuck watching what was a bore fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stee.mc79

please tv3 save face and turn this muck off! matt copper thinks it was a good Debate nether party leader has inspired me to vote for either of them gilmore on the fence, and where was this change in politics when martin was minister all those years, as for terry prone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Is that Dougal from father ted on the panel?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The whole thing was rendered somewhat pointless without Enda, but only because the real debate here is between FG and Labour. Martin is just there to attack them both, win more seats for FF than people expected and ensure his own leadership of the party post-election.

I'm inclined to agree that Martin came across stronger. But I don't think it makes any difference. It's easy for Martin. FF won't be in the next government. He knows this and all these bullsh*t policies and reforms that he has pulled out of his arse in the last two weeks don't mean mean squat because he knows he won't have deliver any of them.

Anyone who is won over to FF on the basis of Martin's performance tonight is most likely a dyed-in-the-wool FF supporter who (in privacy of the ballot box) was never going to be able to bring themselves to vote against them anyway, despite what opinion polls have been suggesting.

This debate has actually convinced me to vote Labour. I was going to vote for one of the leftist groups, but after watching Martin slither his way through this debate I've become convinced that we have to break free from these civil war parties. Labour (imperfect as it is) is the best real chance for this.

Advertisement