Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Thanks smileyface, will try pitta breads next time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hi everyone, am kinda new to this thread think I may have been on here a good while back though.:o Anyway I went off the cigarettes at the start of January and I haven't stopped eating:o I actually can't stop! So I have decided to go back to ww tomorrow. I have heard about the pp as a friend of mine has joined and it seems very complicated to me.
    As I think most people who have ever joined ww will know, years later you will still be like, oh thats 3 points, thats 2 etc. And this is just throwing me in the air with the different pointing! How has everyone been finding that side of things.
    One more thing, I am more a savoury person so does anyone have any little tips of savoury low point nibbles I could have when I feel the need, until I kick the nicotine habit?(am on the inhaler but that not the same as food;))
    Thanks.x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭smileyface1

I put mushroom, peppers, spinach, slices of tomatoes and a little feta cheese on top....awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

wow!this site is sooo busy,all doin well too! great stuff. Well,my story so far,went back to ww on 6th jan,(hadn't been since,11/11/10, was up 8.5lbs)anyway,13/01/11 was down 3.5lbs and last thurs another lb gone,so delighted with results. Was away weekend so playing catch-up so don't know how i'll do this week!!!:rolleyes:

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Hi everyone, am kinda new to this thread think I may have been on here a good while back though.:o Anyway I went off the cigarettes at the start of January and I haven't stopped eating:o I actually can't stop! So I have decided to go back to ww tomorrow. I have heard about the pp as a friend of mine has joined and it seems very complicated to me.
    As I think most people who have ever joined ww will know, years later you will still be like, oh thats 3 points, thats 2 etc. And this is just throwing me in the air with the different pointing! How has everyone been finding that side of things.
    One more thing, I am more a savoury person so does anyone have any little tips of savoury low point nibbles I could have when I feel the need, until I kick the nicotine habit?(am on the inhaler but that not the same as food;))
    Thanks.x

Welcome Cadyboo!

I refuse to go near any chocolate or chocolate ( none this year at all so far!)
    So my snack of choice is toast with low fat butter ( I use Connaught gold) or a packet of manhattan popcorn!

if I want something sweet- love Pink lady apples!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Bernso

I put mushroom, peppers, spinach, slices of tomatoes and a little feta cheese on top....awesome!

Think I read this a bit back now that you mention....OMG I am down with this!

Thanks.x

Hi Cadyboo, welcome back. Overall, I'm liking the propoints. Just think of it like your joining for the first time and have to get used to pointing everything again.
    I'm loving the weekly allowance...great if you have a special event or just want a few extra points on any given day.

Sounds lovely, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭marvilly

Bernso wrote: »
    Now I know we all have different tastes e.g. I'm not into sweet so much as savoury but I just made this dinner and it was YUM so thought I'd share.

I love mashed turnip in general as it's 0 points. I usually have it 4 nights a week with gravy with whatever I'm eating.

Tonight I made a large pot (bought prepped as it's loadsa hassle to chop).
    Boiled and mashed with salt and pepper.
    Fried up an onion with some chopped carrot and garlic and added a full bag of Quorn mince (6pp for whole bag)
    Addded a sachet of savoury mince mixed with 3/4 pint of cold water and simmered for 25mins (3pp in whole sachet)

I then placed all the turnip along the bottom of a baking dish and emptied all the savoury mince on top.

I grated an entire block of weight watchers cheddar (Only 10 points for whole block) on top and popped in oven for 20 minutes

I've decided to have this over three evenings which is 3 very large portions. It was so yummy and filling. This ww cheddar is great melted not so hot if not.

So this means 3 very large scrummy let's call it 'skinny shepards pie' is only 6pp per portion. I am going to eat myself slim!:)

sounds fab!trying that one tmrw!:)

Thanks.x

Welcome. It's easy to get used to just different points for things now called propoints. You'll learn off your staples and you'll be given the book for other things and/ or caluclator/ tracker.
    Snackwise I like the following:
    Dunnes or tesco do their own range of light chocolate mousse - both only 2pp (I prefer the Dunnes one)
    Velvet crunch or ww nachos all 2pp for a bag with some salsa (0pp)
    No points soups
    All fruit is now 0 pp

Bernso- so trying that skinny shepards pie!!!! Bring on the cheese!

• Advertisement

marvilly wrote: »
    sounds fab!trying that one tmrw!:)

Cool. let me know how you get on!

Bernso- so trying that skinny shepards pie!!!! Bring on the cheese!

i know, LOVING the cheese. Kicks that laughing cow's ass I tell ya:D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

I would love to know if i had a day of eating only free fruit and veg would i lose weight or am i fooling myself, had a bad 2 days (funeral of close friend), first weighin on wed and dreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

kildareash wrote: »
    Hi Cadyboo, welcome back. Overall, I'm liking the propoints. Just think of it like your joining for the first time and have to get used to pointing everything again.
    I'm loving the weekly allowance...great if you have a special event or just want a few extra points on any given day.

:)
    Yeah, I think that is whats scaring me. Its millions more points and you can still lose weight!!:eek:
    Welcome. It's easy to get used to just different points for things now called propoints. You'll learn off your staples and you'll be given the book for other things and/ or caluclator/ tracker.
    Snackwise I like the following:
    Dunnes or tesco do their own range of light chocolate mousse - both only 2pp (I prefer the Dunnes one)
    Velvet crunch or ww nachos all 2pp for a bag with some salsa (0pp)
    No points soups
    All fruit is now 0 pp
    Thanks, is it homemade salsa, or jar salsa that is 0??

One more question, how do they work out your points? my friend said there is nothing in the book to work it out yourself, that the leader tells you your points, is this true?
    Thanks, and Im sorry if these questions have been asked already, went through a lot of pages but there are hundreds, lol!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

hey stupid question....but how well does fruit freeze? Blueberries are on special offer in Tesco. Going to stock up so i always have them on hand to make my muffins. 2 x 365g punnets for 6.00EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

Just on the tesco website and pointing various foods. I happened to point a pack of refreshers sweets (you know the green yellow and pink wrapper)

10 PP a pack! WOW! Cant remember the last time I ate a pack, just thought Id post cause i was really surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    hey stupid question....but how well does fruit freeze? Blueberries are on special offer in Tesco. Going to stock up so i always have them on hand to make my muffins. 2 x 365g punnets for 6.00EUR

I'd imagine it freezes quite well, from vague memories of leaving cert home ec you may have to blanch it first but not 100% on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Minx23

I was weighed tonight for the 3rd time and I only lost 2lbs.:( Im just feeling extremely frustrated because in the past 3 weeks I have only lost 9lbs. That may sound like alot to some people but I have ALOT to loose, 5 stone at least.

The proplem is I did weight watchers back in 2007/2008 and the pounds seemed to come off much quicker back then, even though Im heavier now than I was then.

I was so gutted this evening that driving home in the car I actually had a little cry to myself!

I popped in to visit a friend then and we were watching 'The Biggest Looser' and 'Operation Transformation' which she had recorded on Sky+. The number of pounds people loose on those shows in one week can be huge. I had to remind myself those people do hours and hours of excersize every day and have all sorts of support around the clock.

Its just tough trying to do WW while living with my parents as neither of them struggle with their weight like I do.

Reading this is such an inspiration you wouldnt believe!

Sorry for the rant and moan. Just feeling a bit sorry for myself this evening!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

are you sure they are that big, online I see no size but they have a price per kilo and it is €29.52 meaning they are only 125g packs.

The ready frozen blueberries are cheaper per kilo. Also frozen fruit is usually fresher as it is frozen at source, and they use quick freeze methods so the water cells do not explode as much and make them mushy when defrosting (not much of an issue with cakes). Tesco have a huge selection of frozen fruit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Minx23 wrote: »
    I was weighed tonight for the 3rd time and I only lost 2lbs.:( Im just feeling extremely frustrated because in the past 3 weeks I have only lost 9lbs. That may sound like alot to some people but I have ALOT too loose, 5 stone at least.

The proplem is I did weight watchers back in 2007/2008 and the pounds seemed to come off much quicker back then, even though Im heavier now than I was then.

I was so gutted this evening that driving home in the car I actually had a little cry to myself!

I popped in to visit a friend then and we were watching 'The Biggest Looser' and 'Operation Transformation' which she had recorded on Sky+. The number of pounds people loose on those shows in one week can be huge. I had to remind myself those people do hours and hours of excersize every day and have all sorts of support aroung the clock.

Its just tough trying to do WW while living with my parents as neither of them struggle with their weight like I do.

Sorry for the rant and moan. Just feeling a bit sorry for myself this evening!:o

I feel your pain, I too have about five stone to lose, first week lost 5lb and my second weigh in I lost 1.5 - very disappointed cos I had been reaqlly careful.
    Then I calmed down and realised that this propoints will be simply be a slower loss because its more about losing only fat as opposed to just pounds. I do believe it is more of a proper lifestyle change.
    Have you been taking measurments?? I have cos I am doing the boards better body challenge - although my pace is a lot slower than others. Anyway I have lost 3 and a half inches in two weeks, 2 full inches alone from my waist. Woo hoo, So delighted I recorded these measurements cos it gives another idea of how you getting on.

Hang in there, you are doing really well.

• Advertisement

Minx23 wrote: »
    I was weighed tonight for the 3rd time and I only lost 2lbs.:( Im just feeling extremely frustrated because in the past 3 weeks I have only lost 9lbs. That may sound like alot to some people but I have ALOT too loose, 5 stone at least.

I popped in to visit a friend then and we were watching 'The Biggest Looser' and 'Operation Transformation' which she had recorded on Sky+. The number of pounds people loose on those shows in one week can be huge. I had to remind myself those people do hours and hours of excersize every day and have all sorts of support aroung the clock.

Oh Minx don't be sad hun 2lbs is a loss that's all that matters!
    Did you struggle this week at all? If not then you had a loss without pain right? isn't that good?

Operation T and those shows have people go through extremes of exercise and diet to lose I could never do that personally that's why I love ww.
    Imagine this, if you lose 2lbs a week you'll lose four of your five stone by Summer!:)
    And that's without pain or hours of exercise just smart choices.

I' m sure it's hard with your parents hun but everyone finds it hard in different situations (kids eating crap around them, other halfs eating double/ triple the portions etc)

Keep on here for support m'dear. Best of luck with it! Chin up girl!:)

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Have you been taking measurments?? I have cos I am doing the boards better body challenge - although my pace is a lot slower than others. Anyway I have lost 3 and a half inches in two weeks, 2 full inches alone from my waist. Woo hoo, So delighted I recorded these measurements cos it gives another idea of how you getting on.

Hang in there, you are doing really well.

Thanks x

Taking measurments is actually a great idea, I'll do it first thing tomorrow. I have noticed my jeans are slightly looser alright. When putting on freshly washed jeans I usually have to beat myself into them but they slipped on no bother the other day!!!

Oh Minx don't be sad hun 2lbs is a loss that's all that matters!
    Did you struggle this week at all? If not then you had a loss without pain right? isn't that good?

Operation T and those shows have people go through extremes of exercise and diet to lose I could never do that personally that's why I love ww.
    Imagine this, if you lose 2lbs a week you'll lose four of your five stone by Summer!:)
    And that's without pain or hours of exercise just smart choices.

I' m sure it's hard with your parents hun but everyone finds it hard in different situations (kids eating crap around them, other halfs eating double/ triple the portions etc)

Keep on here for support m'dear. Best of luck with it! Chin up girl!:)

Thanks so much x

I knew the folks on here would understand my frustration and be able to cheer me up!

You make a great point about the Summer. My goal is a long term one and if Im in better shape this time next year then its better to loose it slowly and steadily. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Hey Lainy, they freeze fine just as they are in the punnet and the great thing is they don't take much defrosting, can pop them straight in a smoothie or porridge from the freezer, always have a few in the freezer myself! Same with the punnets of raspberries, blackberries and the mango chunks too mmm...
    Keep an eye out for the "reduced to clear" aisles in Tesco, they often have them reduced the day before their use-by date, have got them for about 50c a couple times, and if your throwing them straight in freezer the date doesn't matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

arandale wrote: »
    I would love to know if i had a day of eating only free fruit and veg would i lose weight or am i fooling myself, had a bad 2 days (funeral of close friend), first weighin on wed and dreading it.

Hi Arandale, sorry for your loss, hope you are doing ok?
    IMO you are better off just starting afresh tomorow with new daily allowance and sticking to it til Wed, If you want you can write off all your 49 weekly points as used and if you get some exercise in, just count those activity points as already used. Eating only fruit will not help as you'll crash and burn by the end of the day, and end up falling off the wagon.
    Also, fruit is only 0 pointed in moderation, some leaders saying 5 a day is as much as you could have before pointing, others saying 1 serving of each type up til your satisfied. Eating only fruit for a full day will mean you would have to point it anyway, so you may as well have a varied healthy diet for the day.
    Best of luck with your journey, don't worry we all have days where we can't control things, thats just part of life and those are the days when WW is furthest from your mind, as is only right, you'll get there in the end!
    E x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hillyrob

Hi guys I decided to use some of my dried chickpeas the other day to make hummus as I can't buy it in Korea. I changed a few things to make it much more healthier, and it tastes really great, and I now have enough hummus in my fridge to feed an army!!

200g dried chickpeas (soak over night in water)
    1/2 a courgette
    1 red pepper
    1 onion
    1 tsp ground cumin (more if you prefer)
    4 garlic cloves crushed
    2 tsp dijon mustard
    salt, and pepper to taste
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 red chilli
    375ml fresh chicken stock (add more if needed)

Chop into small pieces the courgette, red pepper, and onion and place into pan with some of the stock and simmer until cooked through.
    Add the garlic, cumin, mustard, oregano, chilli and salt, and pepper.
    Simmer for a few minutes.
    Whilst simmering drain the soaked chickpeas, and place in food processor and blitz until small crumbs.

Add the veg from the pan to the chickpeas and pulse. Pour in the remaining chicken stock and pulse. If you find the mixture is too thick add more stock until the right consistency for you.
    Leave to cool, and place in the fridge.
    TOTAL for whole recipe is 20PP
    You can get at least 20 big servings of this so only 1PP for a great snack.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. x

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

eimear, thank you so much, of course you are right, i forgot if i go over the fruit allowence i would have to point it. i will go for my weighin and start afresh on Thurs. Feel very down tho
    thaks again i thought there for a minute nobody was going to answer.
    yea very pettish i know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Hi All,

2nd WI on the new plan last night.... stayed the same, so for my two weeks on pp i've lost the grand total of .5lb :eek:

a little disheartening to say the least as i'm tracking EVERYTHING so i know i haven't gone over my points and over my weekly points.
    I'm in WW a year now so i'm doing a fair bit of exercise too (ie walking to and from work every day, an hour walk 4 days a week and a spin class thrown in for good measure!), I don't know where its all going wrong!

Sorry just needed to vent!

arandale wrote: »

Sorry for your loss, arandale.
    As Eimear said, the best thing to do would be to just go and weigh in and start afresh after that. Eat sensibly for the next couple of days and drink plenty of water.
    Hi All,

2nd WI on the new plan last night.... stayed the same, so for my two weeks on pp i've lost the grand total of .5lb :eek:

a little disheartening to say the least as i'm tracking EVERYTHING so i know i haven't gone over my points and over my weekly points.
    I'm in WW a year now so i'm doing a fair bit of exercise too (ie walking to and from work every day, an hour walk 4 days a week and a spin class thrown in for good measure!), I don't know where its all going wrong!

Sorry just needed to vent!

That is really frustrating. Did you talk to your leader about it?
    You don't say how much you've left to loose. I know my sis is really struggling to shift the last few pounds and she has lost about 4 or 5 stone already.

Maybe bring your tracker to your next meeting and see if your leader will take a look at it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭pw01

Does anyone know were you can get the ww kitchen scales. i know you can get them on the uk website but can you get them in argos etc........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement