Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tartlet

Hi All,

I have been lurking for the last few days, and have finally got through the posts so time for me to start posting now!

Started with WW last year and lost 2 stone, but since 1st Dec I went totally off track which ended up with a huge gain of 9.5lbs :( so from Jan new start!

Loving the propoints so far, finding it much easier than the last plan, allows much more freedom I think.

Just looking at a previous post from PinkChick, the single packs of Hunky Dory C&O are 6pp, and the salt & vingear are 7pps. Unless they were from a multipack?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ali85

Hi Ali

I'm pretty much the same as you, got down to 10st 13.5 and now back up to 11st something(haven't gone to ww yet!) I think if I can't make it tomorrow I'll just weigh myself with the scales here and go by that. I find I'm really good for a month or so and then when I've a few things coming up at weekends I seem to give up. I'm really determined this year to get down and to my goal weight and stay there. I'm not sure yet what I'm aiming at because I never remember myself by 10 stone and what I look like at that weight so I'm just going to keep going until I feel happy!

The recipes and tips you get here are excellent especially when there's so much confusion around propoints at the moment. Best of luck to everyone who has their weigh ins this week!!!

Well seeing as we are both in the same boat maybe we can help one another out... If I get down t the early 10s I will be happy.

The classes thing is out for me at the moment, stupid recession, but I am using the Wii Fit as a guide for the weight and it is so handy for the exercise, especially with the weather being so unpredictable. I have been an awful bitch for using the weather as an excuse not to get up off my behind to do some exercising!!!

I got the WW recipe book the last time I joined so I have a good few recipes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

COPYING AND PASTING THESE FROM MINIMINS WW TREAD HAVENT TRIED ANY YET! Garlic Bread

Now ProPoints® Value: 3
    Servings: 4
    Preparation Time: 5 min
    Cooking Time: 5 min
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

This traditionally high fat recipe has been cleverly tweaked to keep the buttery flavour, without compromising the taste!

Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons Spread, Low Fat, melted
    2 clove(s) Garlic, crushed
    1 tablespoons Chives, Fresh, chopped
    2 tablespoons Parsley, fresh, chopped
    4 oz Bread, White, French Stick, (4 x 25g slices)
    1 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled, butter flavoured if possible
    4 sprig(s) Rosemary, Fresh

Instructions
    Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/400°F
    Combine low-fat spread, garlic, chives and parsley in a small bowl.
    Cut each piece of bread in half (but not all the way through). Lightly coat inside of halves with butter flavoured cooking spray. Spread with garlic mixture and place rosemary sprigs between halves. Wrap in foil.
    Bake for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve.

garlic toasts

ProPoints® Value: 3
    Servings: 4
    Preparation Time: 2 min
    Cooking Time: 3 min
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

These garlic toasts are a delicious low-fat alternative to garlic bread. Moist and tasty too, they are the ideal addition to any light meal or starter.

Ingredients

4 slice(s) Bread, Granary, Unsliced (medium)
    2 clove(s) Garlic, cut in half
    1/4 teaspoons Pepper, Black (Whole, Cracked or Ground) (ground)

Instructions
    Preheat the grill
    Toast the bread slices on both sides. While they're still hot, rub each piece of toast with a cut garlic clove and season with black pepper.
    Serve at once.
    -toast.html&cb=2fb702fdbd[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jewelsmousey

Hi astra did you sign up using an irish credit card and giving an irish address?

This was my problem - tried to pay with my bro's credit card and it wont let me :(:(:(:( and your threads are so movtivating

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

Hi Slaygal,

Yeah I triple checked. Should have mentioned they were the ones from the multi-pack though, which I think are 25g. Just checked the same size one in salt and vinegar and it's also 4 ppts. using http://points.ogo.ms/ but also checked it on the wheel at the weekend. I think the single packs are 45g which would explain the difference. Sorry for not specifying it was the smaller bags :-(

• Advertisement

does anyone have a few recipes for me that I could use until I get paid and sign up online? I love veg curries so how much is rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Millieboo

I am online member and paid with my mum's credit card (irish) just put in address as a uk address/postcode and it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Hi Pinkchick,
    Aha it all becomes clear. I bought my bag of Hunky Dory's from the work vending machine. 4 Propoints is really good considering a bag of Walkers is the same.

Thanks for letting me know :) I've developed a real weakness for savoury foods in particular crisps.

Millieboo wrote: »
    I am online member and paid with my mum's credit card (irish) just put in address as a uk address/postcode and it worked.
    Did the same as you when I used my debit card.

Jewleseymousey best of luck starting off, if you have a read through this tread and sticky at the top of the page and the weightwatchers propoints recipe one, you should get enough info to get started. It does take a bit of time to get your head around it but you will. Also have a look at the food diaries in subforum you may get some ideas from the people there following propoints:)

Best of luck to all who have started/are restarting back after Christmas.....I myself have decided to wait to go back (after about 6 months away from it) next Monday week as I'm in the middle of college exams and really don't think now is the time to start (even though I could easily put on 3lbs before then ha).

Also want to take advantage of the free propoints calculator with the smartsave, not only will it make me keep going for 12 weeks anyway - which should bring me up to easter but it means i have to watch the euros over next couple weeks as 100euro on WW is alot in one go haha!!!

• Advertisement

Below are some meals - worked out with WW online ProPoints calculator and their packs:

Mushroom Risotto - 10
    Chilli con carne with wedges and cheese - 9
    Beef lasange - 10
    Yorkshire pudding with beef (1) - 5
    Chilli con carne with rice - 10
    Chicken breast with tomato & basil sauce (1/2 pack) - 4

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

ali85 wrote: »
    Well seeing as we are both in the same boat maybe we can help one another out... If I get down t the early 10s I will be happy.

The classes thing is out for me at the moment, stupid recession, but I am using the Wii Fit as a guide for the weight and it is so handy for the exercise, especially with the weather being so unpredictable. I have been an awful bitch for using the weather as an excuse not to get up off my behind to do some exercising!!!

I got the WW recipe book the last time I joined so I have a good few recipes!!!

Yay! It'll be nice to have someone to encourage me to stick with it. I originally started it in July 2009 at 13st8 and got down to 11st 11 over a few months. I stopped then for ages and rejoined in sept at a weight of 12st 2 and got down to 10st 13.5 around the start of December so I know it works! I'll post either tonight or tomorrow what my weight is now, I've kinda been going by clothes and some of my pants aren't fitting me so well anymore :( so I just want to do now once and for all and then no more dieting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

PinkChick wrote: »
    Hi all, well done to everyone. Seems we are all trying to get our heads around it anyway! It definitely seems you aren't as hungry or as limited with foods. But I think it's harder to take the easy option, you really need to be making dinners with proper portions and lots of veg. Which is great! No more low point carbs to tide us over :-) I love the fruit thing. I have some grapes in as a morning snack and an apple or peach in afternoon and definitely feel a lot better for it! Just thought I'd let you all know that normal (not low fat), cheese and onion hunky dorys are only four propoints. This for me is great, because savoury is always my weakness. Now I know I have the option to have them without going way over. I like Velvet Crunch but don't feel they are filling enough or something. Sometime they just don't satisfy me. The other great thing for me is hot chocolate. A cup made with cadburys powder and skimmed milk is five points. Again this is great!

Hey Pinkchick, just double checking, would a hot chocolate with skimmed milk be 5 points? just seems very excessive? think Id rather a bar of chocolate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

astra2000 wrote: »
    But rubadub if the old points work for you thats great
    I don't do WW, I have calculated the points for people, and listed calories of various foods. I do count calories to some degree and really feel it is easier and simpler than points. They make out like the points simplify things but from reading these threads there seems to be a lot of confusion, and a lot of room for error seeing as it is now more complicated.

I thought more people would have been questioning the leaders as to what was wrong with the old system -if it was worth changing obviously something was wrong (I think they realised their mistake in being so irrationally biased against saturated fat), they should tell what the problem was as you may have been (and continue) avoiding foods which are now far lower in points (e.g. I know coconut is now far lower in propoints).

In another thread a user entered figures and it seemed this new propoints system was closely following calories -so I figure it would be easier just to count calories.

this is the new formula
    012d53852b032e7a5e36bfeee1562272.png
    or
    4577bd39c26ed53921d32510966b2d29.png
    I am having difficulty figuring out the pro points in alcoholic drinks.
    The US also have a new points system and it seems they treat it like fat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_Watchers
    Alcohol and sugar alcohols (sorbitol, malitol, etc.) are exceptions to the above formula. See [19] at Equation 12 (paragraph [0090]) and Equation 14 (paragraph [0094]), respectively for specific formulas for those items. As a shorthand, you can enter alcohol grams as fat grams and sugar alcohols as carbohydrates grams in the formula provided. The reason alcohol is weighted more heavily than would otherwise occur is due to two reasons, see [19] at paragraph [0089], (a) "based on the principle that alcohol is metabolized in the same pathway as fat" (treats alcohol as having 9 calories per gram) and (b) "based, in part, on the desirability of discouraging consumption of alcohol, due to the ill-healthy effects associated with this nutrient" (weights alcohol more than other sources of calories)
    So now instead of being biased against sat fat they are biased against alcohol. If I was making my own points system it would not be 9 calories per gram. Alcohol has 7kcal per gram, but due to the way it is metabolised some say it should be less than this, I think I have heard a figure of about 5.5kcal -as a heavy drinker and calorie counter I know the figures do not add up, drink has far less effect on me weight wise.

They also seem to keep the calculators secret
    Weight Watchers has not provided official confirmation of the Points or PointsPlus formulas and has aggressively sent cease and desist letters to websites and a number of third party tools that claimed to provide Points, or PointsPlus, calculations.
    might have to close this thread!
    Cheeseburger 8pp (though on ww site says 7pp same as hamburger but if you work it out from mcdonalds site and using ww cal online it's 8pp not 7pp smile.gif )
    I wonder how they managed to work out the points. I went onto mcdonalds (make sure you go to the irish site since the US usually have bigger burgers). The only info I can find is "per portion", so I am unable to work out the points since you need the weight of the item overall, and then go back and calculate per 100g figures -which is a pain since there are now 4 figures.

The only calculator I saw was this one which needs figures per 100g
    http://www.wijvallenaf.nl/Weight-Watchers/ProPoints-Calculator.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hey all, just a quick question, I'm planning on joining WW (again!), and just reading up on the propoints here. Would I be wrong in thinking that its kind of similar to the original Core plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

Hi m'lady, yeah I thought the same. I love having a hot chocolate in the evening, for me it's nicer than a bar of chocolate. I really think that skimmed milk is gone up. Its a small enough cup. And it's working out 3 points for the milk. I used to drink a lot of milk and don't remember it being that high at all. For me it's worth it but know some people would rather use the points other ways. They are my treats :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

the points from mc donalds are taken from the uk mcdonalds website:)

Rubadub I think there is a lot of room for error in regards to eating out, its something I will be cautious about. I cook and prepare the majority of my own meals and for now will avoid eating out as much as possible. But even when we are preparing our own meals we still need to be careful, last week I was making chicken curry for the family, when I checked the points of the curry powder on ww site it listed the pk I was using as 1pp I though this seemed too good to be true so I put details in online calculator and it came up as pp5. As if that wasnt bad enough I went to point the check the chicken breasts I had bought in tesco, they were irish chicken breasts weight said 515g, there was 4 large pieces in pack and I kind of thought they looked bigger than the average 165g ones, so I popped the lot on the scales and it was 724 with out packaging!! Now its not like our supermarkets to give freebies, so I dont know what happened there, but it just goes to show we all need to be careful.
    If needs be and I am not losing weight on this diet I will try and tweak it until it is right for me ie using less weekly points allowance, been careful of the free fruit and veg and the other 0pp foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tantipie wrote: »
    the points from mc donalds are taken from the uk mcdonalds website:)
    Right, they should be the same. I realised where I was going wrong. They want figures per 100g in the calculator and then you enter the portion size, it defaults as 100g. This means it doesn't matter what weight the burger is, I have the info for a portion, so by leaving the default as 100g then in effect I have 1 portion. -I also got 8 pp for the cheese burger.
    so I popped the lot on the scales and it was 724 with out packaging!!
    I find this a lot in tesco, I search through the packs of chicken breasts and often find massive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Im loving it, initially I found the move hard but its refreshing to have someting new to get my head into. Head is constantly in the book, its like week 1 all over again.
    I got to goal in 1998 and have the usual Christmas few pounds to get off so its great to have a new way to do it
    Is anyone else finding the wheel thing a pain in the ass?

Are calculators available in my meeting last week there were none?

• Advertisement

Lads could a piece of homemade lasagne really have 21 points? I had a portion from home at lunchtime but input nutrition I found on the net as it was made without weightwatchers in mind. It was a fairly average size. Between lunch and breaky that would leave me with no points for the day???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year. Went to my first post-xmas WI on Thursday and I had stayed the exact same weight, which I was delighted with as I ate like a lunatic over the break.

Pro-Points is annoying me but I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. Only problem is that I've got swine flu, and my appetite is just on the floor, can't eat anything, only drinking fluids. So I feel like I've not had a proper start to the Pro-Points as I am just in ribbons!

Next Friday is my 1 year anniversary of joining WW. I am hoping that I can say I've lost 7 and a half stone (need to lose a pound this week to do that). When I set out, I thought it would be a great achievement to have 4 stone off in the year, I'm at nearly double that which I can't believe!

Anyways, I am off to mainline paracetamol and watery Miwadi :(

Wow! Well done, that is just fantastic. Hope you get well soon to celebrate such a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭dasa29

hi everbody i have just worked out the following have a look and see what you think.

First cupa soups 190ml serving
    erin chicken soup 1propoint
    erin oxtail soup 1propoint
    erin veg soup with croutons 3propoints
    erin cream of chicken with croutons 3propoints
    knor chicken and veg low cal 1propoints

baked portions
    birdseye crispy chicken baked 1 is 6propoints
    birseye simply cod fillet baked 1 is 7propoints

now for people with a sweet tooth:D

Mr Kipling Chocolate slice individually wrapped 3propoints

Kelkin lo-pop micro popcorn 100g is 10propoints

toffee crisp clusters 100g is 14propoints
    aero bubbles 100g is 15propoints

cadbury dairymilk 100g 15propoints
    cadbury wholenut 100g 15propoints
    cadbury golden crisp 100g 14propoints
    cadbury carmel 100g 14propoints
    cadbury fruit and nut 100g 14propoints
    cadbury bournville 100g 14propoints

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ali85

Yay! It'll be nice to have someone to encourage me to stick with it. I originally started it in July 2009 at 13st8 and got down to 11st 11 over a few months. I stopped then for ages and rejoined in sept at a weight of 12st 2 and got down to 10st 13.5 around the start of December so I know it works! I'll post either tonight or tomorrow what my weight is now, I've kinda been going by clothes and some of my pants aren't fitting me so well anymore :( so I just want to do now once and for all and then no more dieting!!

Yea like I said I won't be going to classes or anything, but I am following the plan and going on the Wii Fit and then walking. I will go back to the swimming when the weather gets a bit better (and I can build up the courage to get a swim suit on me ha!)

Got rid of all the goodies over the weekend and replaced them with the Tesco light Choices or the Lidl Linessa things. I'm lucky because my other half is wanting to lose a few lbs himself and it will do no harm to my daughter to eat some extra fruit and vegetables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

jakeypooh wrote: »
    Im loving it, initially I found the move hard but its refreshing to have someting new to get my head into. Head is constantly in the book, its like week 1 all over again.
    I got to goal in 1998 and have the usual Christmas few pounds to get off so its great to have a new way to do it

You can download a calculator from the Weightwatcher UK site or from itunes for itouch / iphone.

Lads could a piece of homemade lasagne really have 21 points? I had a portion from home at lunchtime but input nutrition I found on the net as it was made without weightwatchers in mind. It was a fairly average size. Between lunch and breaky that would leave me with no points for the day???

Firstly dont panic! Its possible it is 21 points depending on the portion size and ingredients, there is a lot of cheese in homemade lasagne.
    Take it as it is 21pp and use some points from the 49pp that every member is allowed each week. If you eat wisely snack on 0pp fruit have lots of salad/veg and use 10 or so of these pp on your evening meal you will be grand. Dont throw the towel in and say you will start tomo see this as your first hiccup, one you will get over and keep going. It will get easier especially when you get all the info at your finger tips on fri:)

jakeypooh wrote: »

i haven't even looked at the wheel,,leader couldnt evenexplain it!!our meeting had the calc last week!!i'd be lost without it

:Dyorkie biscuit bars are,,,3pp and are yum:D

this is what i had for lunch

4 crispbreads 2pp
    40g goats cheese 4pp
    and serving of ww jam1pp
    oh god i'm addicted to this:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭dasa29

hi guys

not only do you have your daily and weekly allowance you can still earn activity points. you will find info on activity propoints at the back of your pocket guide.

regarding leaders over the last week from what i understand from or leader. they were soppoesd to have more training on propoints in dec but was called off due to weather. the leader i have is good she knows must peoples names and likes to have a bit of banter in the class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement