Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

Birdie086 wrote: »
    I am 5ft6, 16st8, glad to see that some others are on different points must be a glitch or something for the first week, cos to be honest my leader didnt seem to have a clue what was going, the talk lasted all of seven minutes, she gave a great little motivational speech and showed how to use the wheel and that was it.

oh and i am 29 yrs,
    you must have been at the same meeting as me then,,the only thing she did wast the wheel and i was buying a calculator!!!!
    not expecting this weeks meeting to be any better with the confusion of all the points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

tantipie wrote: »
    you must have been at the same meeting as me then,,the only thing she did wast the wheel and i was buying a calculator!!!!
    not expecting this weeks meeting to be any better with the confusion of all the points

i was really disappointed in my meeting, I was so geared up for it and although I was rejoining after four years I was aware of the new system so was actually excited going the other morning, firstly there was an error with my card and i had to sit around will the leader and her helper discusssed how to solve the problem, and then the 'meeting', while I am aware the system is new to everybody - WW is a service which you pay for, gonna give it a few more weeks and if not happy will try and find another meeting.

rubadub wrote: »
    Every food is zero points if the portion is small enough -be very careful. Strange that they got rid of half points, as this leaves the system open to far more inaccuracies. In the old thread I explained you can add a zero to all your figures to get a more accurate one. e.g. laughing cows might be 0.5 points and could be rounded to zero.

I would be very worried about that one! do the leaders explain what these really mean? are you actually allowed to eat a kilo of bananas as "free"? a kilo is about 900kcal and has more sugar than a 2L of coke. I remember a documentary with a big guy eating 35 oranges a day thinking it was healthy.

I hope people have questioned their leaders as to why the old system is no longer being use, and what is so much better about this one.
    your now told that nothing is 'free' it's zero pointed,,it still has calories so not to go over board and use your own common sense!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

tanaoise88 wrote: »
    anyone know how many pp in 1/4 burger, vodka got the better of me at end of night!!!!
    was doing so well too, but only used 3 of my 49 points so far. have to count off the vodka and the burger now.
    had 8 vodka, so isnt it 3pp per vodka for irish measure

You should have had the whole burger:), you would still be within your bonus points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

i was really disappointed in my meeting, I was so geared up for it and although I was rejoining after four years I was aware of the new system so was actually excited going the other morning, firstly there was an error with my card and i had to sit around will the leader and her helper discusssed how to solve the problem, and then the 'meeting', while I am aware the system is new to everybody - WW is a service which you pay for, gonna give it a few more weeks and if not happy will try and find another meeting.

Ya its amazing how many people complain about their ww leader and I dont think there is any real avenue to follow re making a complaint. My sis in law rang ww ireland to complain about our local leader and got an answering machine, she left a message and never heard back. I have never heard anyone say a good word about the same leader but she has been their years and will probably be their until she retires, actually she is retirement age afaik, no moving her! Thats not to say all the leaders are like that I found any of them filling in for hols were outstanding, and I have met two in a personal capacity and they would inspire you. Our area must be just unlucky!

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Every food is zero points if the portion is small enough -be very careful. Strange that they got rid of half points, as this leaves the system open to far more inaccuracies. In the old thread I explained you can add a zero to all your figures to get a more accurate one. e.g. laughing cows might be 0.5 points and could be rounded to zero.

I would be very worried about that one! do the leaders explain what these really mean? are you actually allowed to eat a kilo of bananas as "free"? a kilo is about 900kcal and has more sugar than a 2L of coke. I remember a documentary with a big guy eating 35 oranges a day thinking it was healthy.

I hope people have questioned their leaders as to why the old system is no longer being use, and what is so much better about this one.

On tescos Irish site I see WW bread is 26.6g (and on offer right now).
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264008426

That 26.6g slice is "thick sliced WW", there is no "weight per slice" figure showing size on other WW bread. The 26.6g one is 65kcal per slice

Standard 800g white sliced pan is http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250330059 80kcal per slice

Now if somebody read the PP figures about it would at first seem 2 slices of brennans is 5 PP (but 160kcal) and is the same PP as 5 slices of WW (325kcal), which I doubt is the case. It seems a combination of rounding errors and portion sizes, as I expect the WW bread at 1 point is a miserably small slice.

There is a PP calculator here, dunno if it is correct http://www.wijvallenaf.nl/Weight-Watchers/ProPoints-Calculator.html

I agree there we all need to use common sense. I keep to max 2 or 3 pieces of fruit a day would only have a 3rd one if I was really hungry/craving something sweet.
    I think the reason this system is better is it is a little less sugar friendly, I used to use too many of my points for snacks/treats. Now I think twice and am having 0 point fruit rather than using my points on a biscuit. Fiber rich foods are less pp than foods which have the same calories and fat content as the body works harder to digest fiber. Obviously fiber rich foods are less sugary and better for you. I prefer the weekly point allowance, which I save for the weekend. I have and I know it is only early days eliminated the need for twice daily treats, something I have NEVER been able to do before unless crash dieting.
    But rubadub if the old points work for you thats great, maybe a choice for ww members to remain on the old system would have been better.

I couldnt find any points for the koppaberg pear cider sorry

Dunnes stores potato croquette 100g pp5

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

had to laugh to when i read you wieghed it in your drunken state, fair play adn your right not to beat yourself, you cant exactly uneat it, can you? just start again this morning

Yes- drunk as a lord with some half-arsed notion of tracking the damm thing, but actually not eating it didn't cross my mind!

As you said Lainy, move on with best foot forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

astra2000 wrote: »
    Ya its amazing how many people complain about their ww leader and I dont think there is any real avenue to follow re making a complaint. My sis in law rang ww ireland to complain about our local leader and got an answering machine, she left a message and never heard back. I have never heard anyone say a good word about the same leader but she has been their years and will probably be their until she retires, actually she is retirement age afaik, no moving her! Thats not to say all the leaders are like that I found any of them filling in for hols were outstanding, and I have met two in a personal capacity and they would inspire you. Our area must be just unlucky!

Gonna give the leader a few weeks and luckily as i live in limerick, there is plenty of choice so just a matter of moving around, I dont drive though so will have to walk to meetings - no harm in that though

• Registered Users Posts: 21 _electrolyte

Hi All,

Brilliant thread! I'm still getting my head around this having just started a few days ago. I used to be a big fan on the old "no count" plan and lost over 2st on it a few years ago. Had just about got used to pointing and tracking and now it's changed again. So far so good, though. Loving the no points fruit!

I was in M&S the other day and said I'd get a few things from the count on us range and point them:

Chocolate Muffin Dessert pp4
    Raspberry Panna Cotta pp4
    Strawberry Trifle pp4

Also got the Prawn Layered Salad - pp12 !! won't be getting that again.

I also bought some M&S crumpets. The WW book says pp2 for a crumpet, but pointing from the packet gives pp3 :( any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

I also bought some M&S crumpets. The WW book says pp2 for a crumpet, but pointing from the packet gives pp3 :( any ideas?
    Go with whats on the pack - the book is an average of several brands.
    The M&S ones would probably be more towards the higher (& tastier) end of the scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

I agree there we all need to use common sense. I keep to max 2 or 3 pieces of fruit a day would only have a 3rd one if I was really hungry/craving something sweet.
    I think the reason this system is better is it is a little less sugar friendly, I used to use too many of my points for snacks/treats. Now I think twice and am having 0 point fruit rather than using my points on a biscuit. Fiber rich foods are less pp than foods which have the same calories and fat content as the body works harder to digest fiber. Obviously fiber rich foods are less sugary and better for you. I prefer the weekly point allowance, which I save for the weekend. I have and I know it is only early days eliminated the need for twice daily treats, something I have NEVER been able to do before unless crash dieting.
    But rubadub if the old points work for you thats great, maybe a choice for ww members to remain on the old system would have been better.

I agree with you Astra, I don't have any treats out of my daily points at all now as I eat enough of the zero pointed fruit and I think twice big time on the alcohol front. I really hope I am doing everything right because so far I think the new system is fantastic. Hopefully, we'll not look back!

Gonna give the leader a few weeks and luckily as i live in limerick, there is plenty of choice so just a matter of moving around, I dont drive though so will have to walk to meetings - no harm in that though
    that's where i go:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alpha2010

I had the same problem, I thought my leader was really bad but people had been sticking with her for like 4 years so I thought maybe she wasn't so bad but for 2 weeks she was replaced with a different leader while she went on holiday and the replacement was AMAZING, she gave us food recipes and was just better overall. I left because my leader was just repeating herself over and over again about stuff that wasn't necessary and when you would get your silver 7 or whatever she would just hand the stone and thats it and a small round of applause like but the replacement leader asked me when I got my silver 7, how I felt, how did I do etc etc. Some of those leaders need to be re trained or sacked ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

You would imagine that there would be some kind of vetting procedure to single out those who are just in it for the money.

I've been to 3 different leaders over the last few years, the first one and the current one are amazing. The other leader I found a bit patronising.

The other two leaders always know your name before you step on the scales. Even this small thing makes such a difference.
    The leader of my current class is an older lady, but she's really good at giving practical examples and she has been doing it for years. She's had amazing results in one of her other classes and brought us in before and after pictures of a girl who I think lost 5 or 6 stone.

It's really important to have a good leader, who can teach us about food - the good and the bad. After all, this is not a diet but a lifestyle change.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

are they as good as they say not having suger content?
    diet red thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭irishneady

Yeh that is what my sister suggested pointing it at too!

Just looked at my tracker and I had 67 points yesteryday :eek: and still have 13 treat points to use if I want before weds. 36 of them were on vodka. Irish pub measures are 35mls right, so 3 pp??

yep 35mls
    kashmir wrote: »
    You should have had the whole burger:), you would still be within your bonus points.

i thought she meant a quater pounder lol. your right i would have scoffed the lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭smileyface1

Was doing really well- but fell off the wagon last night.2 cans of beer, doritos and dips... it was so god though! Have been super good today though and went on a mad long walk too...

Going to try to budget for a little fall off the wagon at weekend from now on though. Keep a few points each day.

How many points are in
    1) Can of regular Beer
    2) Bottle of Coors Light beer

Don't think I wil bother going back to meetings- they are just way too expencive for me!!! Plus you can end up with a rubbish leader. I joined years and years ago- was going well enough at the begining lost about 10lbs...but just stopped going- then didn't go back in case the leader gave out to me! She prbably wouldn't have but that was my excuse in my head!

kty wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had a bit of advice, I have been on weightwatchers twice in the past few years, lose a few pounds and then it just sticks, despite sticking to it and counting points and exercising, very frustrating. I once asked my Leader what my goal weight was, but my card was outta the machine, so she looked me up and down and said " at least another stone!" was so morto didnt know what to say, im not very overweight, but am small in height so every pound i put on is noticable. Im 5ft 1in and a size 12, i dont know what i weigh, dont have scales in the house. Am thinking of joining again, with the new propoints, and seeing if that makes any difference. Found the last time that the counting of points after a while got very frustrating, and felt guilty even if i ate something "bad". Anyway, im sorry for the long post and the blabbing, any advice would be much appreciated.
    By the way a huge congrats to everyone on here, ye all doing great!

welcome :D
    don't mind your leader and do not be embarassed about going back. I know what you mean about the guilty feelings, i think ww changes your view on everything foodwise forever! I have to stop myself from saying "do u know how many points are in that?" when I see people eating loads of high point things.
    Monife wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

So down 23lbs so far, loads to go but on the way.

1st week of propoints (on 36 propoints) and struggling to think of recipes to make and how to convert my WW recipe books into propoints...

Well done everyone, and hopefully we will all have a lighter new year :)

well done thats fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Was doing really well- but fell off the wagon last night.2 cans of beer, doritos and dips... it was so god though! Have been super good today though and went on a mad long walk too...

Going to try to budget for a little fall off the wagon at weekend from now on though. Keep a few points each day

There's no saving points in the new system. if you want to go over your daily allowance you have to use some of your 49treatpoints

• Advertisement

hello
    so i went out last night and planned on using all my 49 treat points on alcohol and also had 8 points left over from my daily.

2 glasses of wine at four points brought me up to my daily allowance.

had 3 more glasses - so thats 12 from treats leaving 37.
    had 3 finger food things which I am saying are 3 each 9 = 28 treat points left.

Then I ended up being so drunk cos had little food in me i think, that I couldn't drink anymore. was falling all over the place!

so today I had eaten 6 points and popped out for lunch. Had quesadillas and they came with chips. any idea what these would be. am just saying 21 propoints? so i have 2 points left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kismo

ww annoys me, tried it loads off times for years and if u eat a piece extra or have a little more at dinner you'll gain 2lbs the next weigh in, and its no points for veg sure isn't there calories n veg?, it's a total money racket and can lead to making you very unhappy longterm. wake up in the morning counting your points for breakfast and spend the day dreaming about food and points even in the eveining when your not hungry your thinking I've points left i have to eat. sorry for ranting on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

kismo wrote: »
    ww annoys me, tried it loads off times for years and if u eat a piece extra or have a little more at dinner you'll gain 2lbs the next weigh in, and its no points for veg sure isn't there calories n veg?, it's a total money racket and can lead to making you very unhappy longterm. wake up in the morning counting your points for breakfast and spend the day dreaming about food and points even in the eveining when your not hungry your thinking I've points left i have to eat. sorry for ranting on :)

please note the first post -
    g'em wrote: »
    This sticky is dedicated to all those who are on WeightWatchers - whether you're just starting out, you're a veteran point counter or you're just looking for an idea of what's involved, this thread will tell the tales and experiences of fellow WW'ers.

Please note that there is also a "How many Weight Watchers Points in...?" thread which you can avail of also, and should you feel ready to start a food diary to help you keep track of points/ food/ weight you can do that here.

This thread is for support, encouragement and perhaps even a bit of education. If you have any dislikes of the Weight Watchers' system feel free to begin a thread in the main forum, but please bear in mind that the weight loss journey is a difficult enough one to embark on without having to deal with a constant barrage of detractors at every step you take.

With that in mind, WWers please also take note that as eating plans go, WW is pretty good, but it can be improved and the points system is easily abused. If suggestions are made as to how you can improve your point management, or flaws in the WW system are pointed out in a constructive and practical way, try not to take it as a negative. There are a lot of very helpful and experienced folk who post around these parts, many of whom who've been through this journey too.

So, enough of my waffle: Welcome WeightWatchers', I hope this thread provides you with everything you need. Good luck!! :)

so what have people got planned for their menu's for the week ahead?

Tomorrow I'm going to want a comfort dinner! First day back at college and its going to be a long day!

Oatmeal & coffee for breakfast = 7 propts

Morning coffee break in college = 4 propts

Wrap & Soup = approx 13 propts

Chicken Tikka Masala = 17 propts
    Chicken = 4 Sauce = 3 Rice = 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

I just signed up on pro points online today having previously used the old points system. I am having difficulty figuring out the pro points in alcoholic drinks.

For example, weight watchers lists points for cider, lager etc with no mention of alcohol content. In the UK alcohol content tends to be higher,particularly for cider. Wine is another problem - surely there is a points difference between a 11% and 13% wine.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Tomorrow

B - 30g porridge cooked with skim milk and a banana (4 ppts)
    L - salad of leftover baked new potatoes , hardboiled egg & green beans with balsamic vinagrette (6ppts)
    D - creamy chicken curry from Enjoy book made with leftover roast chicken (12ppts)

Tomorrow

B - 30g porridge cooked with skim milk and a banana (4 ppts)
    L - salad of leftover baked new potatoes , hardboiled egg & green beans with balsamic vinagrette (6ppts)
    D - creamy chicken curry from Enjoy book made with leftover roast chicken (12ppts)

oooh thats all sounds really nice!

A fun idea might be, over in the propoints menu thread/or here

If people are stuck for ideas, they list a few ingredients they have around the kitchen and the rest of us try to come up with meal ideas for people?

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    oooh thats all sounds really nice!

A fun idea might be, over in the propoints menu thread/or here

If people are stuck for ideas, they list a few ingredients they have around the kitchen and the rest of us try to come up with meal ideas for people?

good idea!

anyone able to shed any light on my dinner out today and what they think points would be?

quesadillas (chicken) and they came with a side of chips and salad (no dressing so that part was zero)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Hi all

Im so confused with the new pro points i used to be ale to eat and had enough knowledge of points to stay within my points allowance then work out the actual points later in the evening and if id gone slightly over cut back abit next day now im totally confused.

Yesterday i was really sick so i ended up eating whatever my bf was kind enough to prepare me today same story my bf's mam was kind enough to prepare us a stew because he was working and i was bed bound again.

Anyway long story short i went over on points both days wit very little food.
    I know ill get used to it eventually but im kinda po that ALL of my ww recipe books are useless and there is very little info available on the net so im kinda forced to buy the eating out and shopping guides and new recipe books.

Ahhh rant over anyone else finding the transition hard?

• Advertisement

hi ladypip

I was hesitant about the change too but have to say that I am preferring it now that I have begun. New motivation for new recipes etc. Just like starting over. I found when i first started ww I had great motivation as I loved trying to figure out ways of making something low in points....then after a few months i got bored so I am now motivated again.

I think the shopping guide isn't meant to be great as its mainly uk stores.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement