Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget day discussion thread. Your budget chat goes here.(Rules and links first post)

Options
  • 07-12-2010 10:20am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks. The day is upon us.
    Please read this sitewide announcement for details on where the best place to post is. This thread is for the AH take on the situation. Might cheer some people up.
    Rules: I know ye hate them but they are necessary.
    1. No negative generalisation about public or private service. This is very important to note as both public and private service are regular posters on boards and we don't want any insults. Please do not post anything that might get us sued.
    And that's about it other than the usual charter rules.
    Issues raised so far (Please feel free to add to / debate these as all is speculation until the announcements are made):

Watch live:
    http://www.boards.ie/budgetlive/

News feeds:
    Rte Live text feed here. and twitter feed here.
    Irish times budget home page here
    Thejournal.ie news feed
    Breakingnews.ie / irish examiner analysis.

2pm update:
    Cigarettes and alcohol are set to escape budget rises.
    A 5% cut to all welfare payments, bar pensioners and the most vulnerable.
    Child benefit being slashed by €10 a month per child, and double that for the third child.
    The controversial €10 air travel tax will not be scrapped, but it will be cut to just €2.
    Public sector pensioners will face a 4% cut in their pensions, one of the two Government jets will be sold.
    Many of the ministerial cars will also be sold off and replaced with a car pooling system, while TD and ministerial pay and pensions will also be cut.
    3pm update:
    third-level registration fees will be increased to €2,000 annually. Families with more than one child in college will pay a reduced fee of €1500 for the second and subsequent children.
    There could be a 4c increase in petrol.
    Budget results:
    No reduction in state pension
    Taoiseach's pay will be reduced by over €14,000, with a €10,000 reduction for Ministers. Presidential salary limited to €250,000
    10% reduction in pay for new entrants into the public sector will apply to judges.
    There will be a €10 reduction in child benefit.
    Published budget here
    Aftermath:
    Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan and Fine Gael's Michael Noonan will be live in studio on tonight's Prime Time at 2140.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

http://budget.breakingnews.ie/news/security-increases-around-dail-ahead-of-planned-protests-484671.html
    Security has been increased around Government Buildings today, with a number of Budget protests getting underway outside.

At the moment, a cherry-picker machine that has been parked outside the gates of Leinster House has been disabled.

The vehicle is displaying a number of signs and placards attacking politicians and the banking sector.

The control panel is sealed off, preventing gardaí from bringing the protester back to ground.

Authorities are preparing for a day of demonstrations, with left- wing groups, students and community organisations all planning to picket the area.

Security is tight, with crash barriers and crowd control plans in place at Leinster House and also Government Buildings.

A spokesman for the Oireachtas said that there is no problem accessing the complex, and it is business as usual for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Are they doing anything with the welfare and the waster that are on it years? If they cut them down to 40€ a week then will pay attention too farce that is all them in the dail.

Also according to RTÉ; Smokes, Drink and Petrol to be hit. Also word has it, they are going to actully rocket up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

At 4pm I'll be prepared to lose it, revert back to a feral animal, crack open a skull and feast on the precious goo inside.

Something needs to be done about those scrounging off the dole for years (The ones with no intentions of working)

Selfish Note: Please............be gentle with my booze.......it's all I have left :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Its not all bad lads!

Dominoes aste doing this for the budget,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056111463

Nom nom nom nom:pac::pac:

Can the first post be edited with a synopsis of what is going on in the budget? There will be people who are working/in college and this thread is likely going to be dozens and dozens of pages long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

For me, having to pay more taxes isn't quite as bad as having to listen to people moaning about this budget for the next aaaaages. :(

Recession jukebox till they confirm the worst.

Can the first post be edited with a synopsis of what is going on in the budget? There will be people who are working/in college and this thread is likely going to be dozens and dozens of pages long.

That's what we'll try to do. Keep any links and feeds and updates to the first post for people where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

msg11 wrote: »
    Also according to RTÉ; Smokes, Drink and Petrol to be hit. Also word has it, they are going to actully rocket up.

The lads selling cigs on the black market are licking their lips at this prospect.

We're on the BBC site and all.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11931163
    Oooh. It makes me feel terrible important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

**** the BBC, it's none of their business, let them keep their noses out :p

kfallon wrote: »
    **** the BBC, it's none of their business, let them keep their noses out :p

If somebody so much as farts at a copper near leinster hours today they'll be making international headlines.

Found this old one:

This recession music is cheering me right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

bah - i've too much money anyway. might as well give some to those hard up senior bondholders - poor mites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Here we go folks. Hard hats and high-vis jackets on. Safety first, and let's hope the roof doesn't cave in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Daddio wrote: »
    Here we go folks. Hard hats and high-vis jackets on. Safety first, and let's hope the roof doesn't cave in.

too late...we're like the Chilean miners in that it's already collapsed around us...
    Only problem is the rescuers have more interest in saving themselves and to hell with us.

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    too late...we're like the Chilean miners in that it's already collapsed around us...
    Only problem is the rescuers have more interest in saving themselves and to hell with us.
    /sigh

I laughed when I saw Cowen is rumoured to be dropping €14,000 off his salary. It won't be his salary for much longer - he's basically telling Eamon/Enda to take 14k off their salary! He's a cheeky man, our Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Cant wait to have my dole cut. It's going to be deadly. We're going to be buttraped pretty hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Recession jukebox till they confirm the worst.

Surprised this song hasn't be mentioned yet :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

/sigh

I laughed when I saw Cowen is rumoured to be dropping €14,000 off his salary. It won't be his salary for much longer - he's basically telling Eamon/Enda to take 14k off their salary! He's a cheeky man, our Brian.

Right... so before he was cheeky for not reducing the wages of the Taoiseach, and now he's cheeky when he does reduce the wages.

Mark200 wrote: »
    Right... so before he was cheeky for not reducing the wages of the Taoiseach, and now he's cheeky when he does reduce the wages.
    Cheeky to do it now as he's walking out the door. :pac:

On a serious note though - 14k isn't that much of a reduction considering it must still leave the Taoiseach as one of the highest paid politicians in the world. I'll hold my counsel until the almighty arsekicking is unveiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Gucky wrote: »
    Its not all bad lads!

Dominoes aste doing this for the budget,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056111463

Nom nom nom nom:pac::pac:

This deal was €9.99 a couple of weeks ago. They were employing lads holding advertising boards to stand on all the roundabouts on the ring road in Kilkenny. Why has it taken a jump in price in a few short weeks!! A sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Sc@recrow wrote: »

So we're ,more like those new zealand miners so.

If this doesn't brighten up people's day, then you're all weird.

NSFW, sorta.

Will's Mum from Inbetweeners strips to her underwear for a photoshoot here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

NSFW, sorta.

Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

'10:10: 'Very few budget-related updates to bring you at the moment. None, in fact. In the mean time watch a budget report from 9 news on RTE.'

Nice one rte, just cancel the live feed and we will all catch a summary of it on the news tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

NSFW, sorta.

That's not sexy enough for budget day. We need moar Mary Harney.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Cheeky to do it now as he's walking out the door. :pac:

On a serious note though - 14k isn't that much of a reduction considering it must still leave the Taoiseach as one of the highest paid politicians in the world. I'll hold my counsel until the almighty arsekicking is unveiled.

Our minimum wage is one of the highest in the world as well right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Confab wrote: »
    That's not sexy enough for budget day. We need moar Mary Harney.

personally, i think there's plenty of her already thanks very much.

Advertisement