Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget day discussion thread. Your budget chat goes here.(Rules and links first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I really only have one thing to say about the upcoming budget-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Anyone know where to get cheap lube online? I am pretty sure a lot of us, working or not, are going to need a steady supply throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Mena wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get cheap lube online? I am pretty sure a lot of us, working or not, are going to need a steady supply throughout the day.

Just use your tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its way too late to give a ****e about any of this. The damage has been done.

If the government had any balls this kinda thing should have been done 2-3 years ago.

The very fact that the CPA is still in place is also a disgrace if you ask me.
    Public servants should take another 10% cut and public service pensioners SHOULD have their pensions linked to this - this is only fair.
    TD's should be slashed from the 160 odd right down to no more than 80.
    The senate should be cut in half, if not cut altogether.
    Taxation bands need to be drasticilly reviewed and reworked (upwards).
    VAT should be coming DOWN.
    Excise (particularly on fuel and oil based products) should be coming DOWN.

Ah **** it, either way, I dont care too much about it. I still got me health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Lenny to reduce Taoiseach's salary to the new minimum wage:cool:
    Welcome to government Mr Kenny or Mr Gilmore :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Can we talk about the budget results here as they are announced?

I know economics or finance or politics will have their own thread but for the ordinary people of AH can it be disussed here?

Sharp work Master! I did a search and couldn't find this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Sharp work Bollocko! I did a search and couldn't find this thread.

Ahem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Let the bears pay the bear tax, I pay the Homer tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The Master wrote: »
    Ahem...

Say Wha? :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Cigarettes and alcohol are set to escape in the most austere Budget in Ireland's history today.

Brian Lenihan will announce this afternoon hikes of 4c on a litre of petrol and 2c on diesel, as well as cuts to dole and child benefit payments.

However, the 'old reliables', cigarettes and alcohol, will be left as they are in a bid to prevent further black-market trade.
    A 5% cut to all welfare payments, bar pensioners and the most vulnerable, will see the dole and other payments cut by around €8 or €9 a week, with child benefit being slashed by €10 a month per child, and double that for the third child.

Reform of taxes will take place, with reliefs and avoidance schemes to be closed.

Many of the lower paid, who have not had to pay tax previously, will be brought into the net gradually.

The controversial €10 air travel tax will not be scrapped, but it will be cut to just €2.

Public sector pensioners will face a 4% cut in their pensions, one of the two Government jets will be sold.

Many of the ministerial cars will also be sold off and replaced with a car pooling system, while TD and ministerial pay and pensions will also be cut.
    http://budget.breakingnews.ie/news/old-reliables-set-to-avoid-budget-rises-484707.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Sure Mr Lenihan. You're a f8cking hero. Everyone loves you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

What time is it starting does anyone know? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    What time is it starting does anyone know? :)

The raeping session will commence at about 3.30 pm. Time for everyone (bar the rich) to drop trou and take it:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Afterall the scaremongering, if the early leaks are true, in the circumstances, it doesn't seem too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Daddio wrote: »
    I laughed when I saw Cowen is rumoured to be dropping €14,000 off his salary.

I find it interesting that a €14k salary cut won't change his position as fourth highest paid world "leader". The Taoiseach will still be between

3. Barack Obama, President, United States
    Annual salary: €298,790

and

5. Nicolas Sarkozy, President, France
    Annual salary: €238,885

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

These "leaks" that are appearing, are just a known tactic that has been used for a number of years now by FF.
    There has been supposed leaks for weeks now - but in fact all they are meant to do is soften the blow and/or have the damaging cuts disseminated into the public domain bit by bit in better palatable sections - rather than be taken as a whole where the public might actually see the full picture and assess just how much they are really getting walloped in one go, in one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Going by the budget news last night the dole will have a 10e cut. Seriously?! thats incredibly good tbh since anyone whos on the dole (including myself) is lucky to be getting it.
    they are really making it a waste of time to work even more so with the upping of tax by 25 euro or so. I mean I want to work because I like the independence but for most people theyre just going to say whats the point and i wouldnt blame them tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

2.55 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Cigarettes and alcohol are set to escape budget rises

Any word on the Rollerblading?

Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan and Michael Noonan, his Fine Gael counterpart, will be live in studio and head to head on primetime tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The raeping session will commence at about 3.30 pm. Time for everyone (bar the rich) to drop trou and take it:mad::mad:

Of course the rich are going to be hit too! New tax bands are going to be coming in, not to mention the fact that rich people pay more tax anyway. There'll also be a tax on every property people own, as well as various other things that everyone's going to feel the hit on.

I hate this whole "the rich should pay rah rah rah" attitude. The rich DO pay. And the majority of rich people deserve to be rich anyway. They've worked hard to be in that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan and Michael Noonan, his Fine Gael counterpart, will be live in studio and head to head on primetime tonight.

A head to head? FFS.

It's budget day & they're going to have a live cock fight on TV... how's that gonna help?

Of course the rich are going to be hit too! New tax bands are going to be coming in, not to mention the fact that rich people pay more tax anyway. There'll also be a tax on every property people own, as well as various other things that everyone's going to feel the hit on.

I hate this whole "the rich should pay rah rah rah" attitude. The rich DO pay. And the majority of rich people deserve to be rich anyway. They've worked hard to be in that position.

Yeah! WE DO PAY!
    /shakes well-manicured bejewelled fist at the plebs.

I believe the max PRSI cap of 75000 will be removed according to RTE news at 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

jealousy is a bitch, "rich" people pay the majority of tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I hear they are taxing lube as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A Property Snow Tax is set to be introduced today.

Any property with snow on it (land, roof, walls etc), will be taxed at 5cent per estimated gram.

It's expected to get a rather frosty reception from the opposition parties.

Advertisement