Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget day discussion thread. Your budget chat goes here.(Rules and links first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

That_Guy wrote: »
    Will he be wearing his colourful tie I wonder.

i hope not - it's distracts me from his beautiful eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I found this on one of my friends facebook.

We are too nice with the dole.

Yeah i saw something similar on basefook yesterday.

Says a lot about this joke of a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

i heard of a guy once from wales who wanted to come to ireland with his kids and asked by DSP what his intentions to finding work were he looked puzzled - he said I want to raise my kids on the dole! That is the mindframe of some people!!! This country is a bloody joke regarding the wasters on the dole. On my way to work some mornings I see them queing outside the postoffice in their PJ's waiting for their money. Makes me sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

http://budget.breakingnews.ie/analysis/
    2:56
    spacer.gifNBEX:
    They are protesting over suspected cuts to education in the budget and the increase in 3rd-level fees to €2,000. A spokesperson said it was not a joke to skip classes but was about a fight for future of students in Ireland. Tuesday December 7, 2010 2:56 NBEX
    2:55
    spacer.gifNBEX:

Pupils from Moyle Park College, Deansrath Community College and Colaiste Brid staged the walk-out this afternoon and marched to the offices of local Fianna Fail TD John Curran.
    Tuesday December 7, 2010 2:55 NBEX

2:55
    spacer.gifNBEX:
    From Newstalk.ie: Hundreds of secondary school students have walked out from 3 schools in Clondalkin in Dublin in protest at the budget today.
    Great way to miss a few classes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

€8-9 from the dole - not enough imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

Where on earth are they all going to sleep?

they stack, like lego

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    i heard of a guy once from wales who wanted to come to ireland with his kids and asked by DSP what his intentions to finding work were he looked puzzled - he said I want to raise my kids on the dole! That is the mindframe of some people!!! This country is a bloody joke regarding the wasters on the dole. On my way to work some mornings I see them queing outside the postoffice in their PJ's waiting for their money. Makes me sick!

Come on, in their PJs? That's a bit over the top no? Who would have the gumption to go in wearing pyjamas?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anybody elses stream down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

To the PO in their PJ's - not the actual Social Welfare office. But that wouldnt surprise me either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If the dole is only cut by €9 and student fees only get increased to 2,000 that will make me a sad Panda...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Not enough?,In the country I live in (Ireland) not sure your from the same country,but here the Cost of Living is ridiculous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I wonder if the backbenchers will give the usual clap at the end as if Lenihan has done something great in delivering this budget. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Can't believe we are looking at our new Taoiseach. Can't even string a sentence together nor actually ask a question :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

This is a joke, 10 - 15 would be more realistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Not enough?,In the country I live in (Ireland) not sure your from the same country,but here the Cost of Living is ridiculous :)

People who are working are losing out on at least €50 a month so no I dont think its enough of a reduction, clearly not enough to get more people out looking for jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

In what paper?
    I don't buy newspapers very often, so it was either in the Times back in october when they were giving them out for free to students, or it was in the Daily Mail which my wife gets every so often. The person writing the article was showing how taxes now are lower, but less people working are in the tax bracket.
    Google only brought up pages from last year stating that this years budget would be the same size as 2004's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The cost of living here is high, but welfare payments are too high. For the most part anyway.

If any evidence was needed of this, it would be the fact that SW recipients can register to take 2 weeks holidays with their dole office.

Social insurance should be designed to help people out who are badly in need, not to be going on feckin holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

people on the dole more than 3 years should be hit VERY hard, in my opinion! :mad: :mad:

SeaFields wrote: »
    I wonder if the backbenchers will give the usual clap at the end as if Lenihan has done something great in delivering this budget. :mad:

A good few of them are saying they won't support the budget but i suspect that to be hot air.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Can't believe we are looking at our new Taoiseach. Can't even string a sentence together nor actually ask a question :rolleyes:

The new one or the old one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

super-rush wrote: »
    A good few of them are saying they won't support the budget but i suspect that to be hot air.

Hot air. Nothing more. They don't bite the hand that feeds them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Sad but true - the FF backbenchers will all support it. They're worse than mass-goers for blind obedience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Totally agree.
    When the budget is passed (with the help of bought off independents - Jackie must be delirra!), you might also see FG siding with the government in vote to pass it - then in the media later, actually give out about it! :rolleyes:

Laughable! Welcome to Irish politics.

does anyone know what I can expect to pay in extra tax on 51K (gross) p.a. salary? I am absolutely dreading this cut. Husband made redundant in March and not entitled to dole or any other type of support due to my salary, which is fair enough, but we are now skint, mortgage switched to interest only, I really can't take another cut or levy..... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Is everyone drawing their breaths?

The new one or the old one?

Kenny. He is such a bad speaker. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The price of a box of fags to be knocked off the dole. FFS. Should be trebled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Vincent Brown said it was like a war zone outside the Dail at the moment, the reporter had to take cover in a hotel to talk to vincent:eek:.
    Apparently there are smoke bombs and everything going off, anyone near the Dail here, what's going on and are ye predicting a riot?

From RTE's twitter page
    In the last few minutes, a flare was lit outside the Dáil by a group of Sinn Féin protestors objecting to the Government’s Budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Savage. Might go up for a look.

Advertisement