Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

After couple of days, I find the following

Positive
    *Virtual keyboard is the best one I have used, and I've used a lot. Very easy to use with very few errors
    *Lovely big screen, software very intuitive.
    *Good Xbox Live interface overall, quite easy to get games
    *Ability to add anything you want to your home screen
    *Excellent intergration with Facebook
    *Email is quite decent and very fast to load. I love having a seperate button for each to be honest. People go on about unified inboxes, but I have no interest in that. It's kind of annoying for me. I'd rather keep work and personal email as far away as possible
    *Marketplace is nice looking, if a bit disorganised at present.

Negatives
    *Xbox Live needs a bit more work. Had a few crashes, and a lot of the information is web only (you click in app, and you're brought to the web)
    *Internet Explorer: Can't type an address when in landscape mode?!? Wha?!
    *Basic multitasking - needs to come soon. Locking the screen even results in an app having to reload.
    *No menu/context button (a la Android). Quite essential, holding down the Windows button would be an easy fix.
    *No Mac/USB support. You need Zune to get anything onto the phone, quite annoying as I'm using a Mac and the device does not have USB support so doesn't show up in Finder/My Computer
    *Copy and Paste - not a massive issue, but it's handy and it is coming so I'm not really too worried. Took the iPhone 2 years to get it anyways!

Overall, I'm quite impressed and happy with it. It's fast, loads quicky, and is very fast to boot up. Been a launch device, I'm missing a few apps (StumbleUpon, WhatsApp, Angry Birds, eBuddy) that I have on the iOS and Android platforms, but it's very early days. I'm sure they will be along in time. IMDB and Flixster are much better than the iPhone counterparts, in my opinion. They look much nicer and I actually enjoy using them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Hey,

Could someone give me details on Meteor's offer for the Omnia 7

I've been searching google just to try and get a price for it on bill pay or payg. Can't seem to find anything on their site either.

Any info appreciated, especially on pricing.

Meteor don't have the Omnia 7. don't have any Windows phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/18246-windows-phone-7-phones-for/
    The Samsung Omnia 7 will be available from 3 and Meteor from the end of November.

As I said, finding info on this has been a pain.

Have they announced that they're not going to be doing them, cause PR is dead it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/18246-windows-phone-7-phones-for/

Have they announced that they're not going to be doing them, cause PR is dead it seems

Their sales department replied to me this morning and simply said they have "no information" on when that handset will be released on their network. Bit of a joke considering it's already been released in the UK a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

its meteor :) what do you expect :)

id say they are more concentrated on getting desire HD/Z in stock sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Has anyone got any info on vodafone's release schedule?

no idea pal

you could try the Vodafone forum though they might

A link on the internet isn't concrete info. :)

I've not heard anything about them getting a Windows phone. They have not said they're not getting them, and I do think that getting them would be a good idea to supplements their non-iPhone smartphone line, but nothing has been set in stone as far as retail goes yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Disappointing first impressions here.

I was holding out to see if this could beat Android but it looks like a disaster here.

I might wait until the new year to replace my 6.5 Win Mobile to see if Jan update makes it usable.

But I'll probably just get an Android as they seem to way further ahead and a nicer platform overall having used friends phones and viewing videos on Phone 7. Doesn't appear to have been thought out properly despite throwing all existing stuff out the window to start again.

If anyone wants to offload one cheap, give me a PM (200 Euro mark :P )

which phone is that?

Hmmm, I'm getting a lot of crashes. I've had to restart the phone 4 times today to get applications to start working. It's not like I have a lot on there, only about 8 apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

Loving it so far, easily the best mobile OS out there at the moment in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I was looking at the new Faceboook app on the Windows Phone 7 and realised almost all the apps I've seen look better on the Windows Phone 7 than on Android or iPhone so what app's look better on either of the other 2 OS's than on windows phone 7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

any one found any irish developers?

I'm currently waiting for approval from microsoft to publish apps.
    I have been developing mobile apps for years (commercial sector) and I am very excited by wp7.

I have an app in development (sabnzbd viewer + newzbin search tool) but once that one is done i'm looking for ideas for another app.
    Maybe irish rail/ bus eireann timetables?

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

beanian wrote: »
    I have been developing mobile apps for years (commercial sector) and I am very excited by wp7.

I have an app in development (sabnzbd viewer + newzbin search tool) but once that one is done i'm looking for ideas for another app.

Any ideas?

Timetables are a good idea. I'd like to see some Irish media eg radio, newspapers, news but I presume they are complicated by copyright. TV schedule also useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I'm currently developing a pumps.ie app, which should be finished by the end of the week.

I'm currently developing a pumps.ie app, which should be finished by the end of the week.

Sounds great! I'll be downloading that one.

How long did it take for your app hub approval once you submitted your ID & letter?

Not that long, a couple of days as far as I remember.

• Advertisement

Another good feature to add to this would be to show the nearest pumps to your current location and if they are open 24 hours or not.

I almost ran out of petrol coming back from Wexford! All the petrol stations my sat nav brought me to where closed!!!! :pac:

Yep, it'll show stations in your proximity. Data for opening and closing times isn't available though.

Yep, it'll show stations in your proximity. Data for opening and closing times isn't available though.

Just checked the online version and it does list the opening/closing times so maybe at a later date you could add this to the app versions :)

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Just checked the online version and it does list the opening/closing times so maybe at a later date you could add this to the app versions :)

Hmm, it's not available through their API, but I'll ask them if it's possible to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone having joy using phone 7 on silverlight sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

beanian wrote: »

Any ideas?

Sounds good.

Anybody want to have a stab at a webtext app? I built my own desktop webtext app in C# a few years ago that worked well for my own purposes, how tricky is it to port over to WP7, and are there costs associated with getting your app on the marketplace? As far as I can see, the developer tools are a free download (which is a good move).

By the way, I've had a solid 5 days of use of the HD7 and I'm fairly pleased. It kind of reminds me of the days when I bought "dumb" feature phones (eg Sony Ericsson W880) - everything looks great, is very fast, and integrates really well. As a messaging phone alone, WP7 wins. But of course there's the advantage of WP7 being a smartphone platform, so apps and upgrades are supported.

I can see there's plenty of hate out there for the half open / half closed approach Microsoft have taken here, but in the end I know what it'll mean; stability. Two years down the road, Android will be left with a mess of application conflicts, instability and decimated battery life, much like what used to happen with WM 6.5 once you were finished tinkering, changing themes, replacing system files etc etc. WP7 keeps most apps sandboxed so that they're not running services etc in the background, so even with 100 apps installed there should be no slowdowns, memory hogging or app conflicts.

Having said that, I did have to restart my HD7 twice over the weekend when it failed to load the Marketplace app. You're bound to find stuff like this in a 1.0 release... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Sounds good.

Anybody want to have a stab at a webtext app? I built my own desktop webtext app in C# a few years ago that worked well for my own purposes, how tricky is it to port over to WP7, and are there costs associated with getting your app on the marketplace? As far as I can see, the developer tools are a free download (which is a good move).

€99 a year to join the M$ AppCode market place so it's the same as Apple.

I'd be interested in doing a web text app. Did your app work by hacking the HTML Posts each network uses for their webtext?

John_Mc wrote: »
    €99 a year to join the M$ AppCode market place so it's the same as Apple.

I'd be interested in doing a web text app. Did your app work by hacking the HTML Posts each network uses for their webtext?

Actually now that I think about it, it was using a web service someone was hosting at the time. I don't think it's live anymore.

I'm ridiculously rusty at coding so I might have to have a go off the developer tools and emulator first to see if I can cobble together anything to justify the 99 euro.

And I think the webtext method you're proposing is the same as the tools available here

Great to have a few Irish devs looking at WP7! Keep it up

Yeah I'm delighted WP7 has arrived. I'm a .net developer so it's great to be able to jump straight in without any learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

• Advertisement

Compare it to iOS1 or Android when they were first introduced and you'd see a pretty level playing field. Google improved Andorid by quite a lot in a very short timeframe.

We'll see how serious M$ are about WP7 in 2011 I think.

I can't believe Copy and Paste isn't in there from the start though. How can they not have Silverlight support in there as well? :confused:

Quick wrote: »

Yowzers.

Microsoft are late to the game alright and have a good bit of catching up to do, but I think they have a strong foundation to build on. Sure they threw buckets of money at XBOX and made a success of that!

It'd also be interesting to compare the featureset of the first release of each OS.

I'm taking mine back tomorrow. I can't copy any music from my Mac so it's useless to me. Had a few too many crashes for my liking, but from searching, this seems to be more of an HD7 error than a Windows 7 one in general. I may get another one in time, but for now, I do think the OS has a lot of promise, and I look forward to it in an update or two.

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm taking mine back tomorrow. I can't copy any music from my Mac so it's useless to me. Had a few too many crashes for my liking, but from searching, this seems to be more of an HD7 error than a Windows 7 one in general. I may get another one in time, but for now, I do think the OS has a lot of promise, and I look forward to it in an update or two.

ms only released sync tools for Mac with WP7 yesterday

ms only released sync tools for Mac with WP7 yesterday

Link? It's not on the Zune page and I've seen no news stories that it was released.

took alot of scrolling in twitter to find this :D its not the zune client but its a sync client (beta) so guess it was kinda put together quickly to serve those who use Mac's. Very bad from MS side.

http://wmpoweruser.com/mac-client-for-windows-phone-7-now-available/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WmPowerUser+%28WM+Power+User%29&utm_content=Twitter

Even the effort to actually find it is too much! I think I'll just leave it until they've gotten off their backsides. I listen to about 4 hours of books a day as I'm driving a lot. I'd be lost without them, and I can download through Audible directly without iTunes if needs be.

actually went and got zune software just for the crack :)

and have to say its very nice. its nicely integrated into everything including the marketplace

PS took a few minutes to get used and find whats where but once you do its actually very easy and loving the UI :)

First irish app i've found on the market

DART:
    Timetables for all dart stations. Live updates etc

Looks handy for regular dart users.
    €1.29( no trial)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

which phone is that?

Oh I meant disappointing seeing the negative comments here along with being at the developer conference before the release left me with a negative impression.

I don't have a Phone 7, I've held off changing from 6.5 to see if this release would amount to much.

thebman wrote: »
    Oh I meant disappointing seeing the negative comments here along with being at the developer conference before the release left me with a negative impression.

I don't have a Phone 7, I've held off changing from 6.5 to see if this release would amount to much.

Was this one of the conferences held in Dublin recently? What kind of apprehensions did people have? Would be interested to hear what regular developers make of it. Certainly Microsoft need to open up more APIs for the camera, sensors, etc.

And good news for HD7 owners: there's definitely a microSD slot on the HD7, but you need to void your warranty to get at it. Still, by the time most people need the extra gigs a 32GB card will be much cheaper.

yeah but to upgrade a micro sd card the phone itself requires a hard reset :S which is very very stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

so no custom ringtones??? I have to say it really feels like they just released a work in progress OS to market which is a surprise given how long ago they first mentioned they were bringing it to market

Im sure there will be a work around for the ringtones once it picks up a decent developers base.

Though agree a major disappointment.

Though having said that most people couldn't give two flies about the ringtone and just keep with the stock one or the ones provided

so no custom ringtones??? I have to say it really feels like they just released a work in progress OS to market which is a surprise given how long ago they first mentioned they were bringing it to market

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-phone-7-to-get-custom-ringtones-maybe have a read on that :)

might not be so bad after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Though having said that most people couldn't give two flies about the ringtone and just keep with the stock one or the ones provided

When it comes to cutting edge tech such as smartphones, you can be damm sure people care a hell of a lot about the little things it can't do rather than the things it does really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Quick wrote: »

Most if not all of those features are what makes makes a phone a smartphone imho.

Venom wrote: »
    When it comes to cutting edge tech such as smartphones, you can be damm sure people care a hell of a lot about the little things it can't do rather than the things it does really well.

what cutting edge technology? most people just go for the most fancy phone available on bill pay or the one the SA tells them to buy

Venom wrote: »

Well your in luck! Twitter has just released their App for Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 :D

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371669,00.asp

one thing i do love is i always kinda used to get annoyed that certain apps never matched the UI looks and made it stand out. Metro Designs making it work. Though not sure is that an advantage or a limitation so far :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement