Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

There's a lot of W7 love in this thread.. :)

Don't get me wrong, I have been using and supporting W7 machines since beta and while it's the first OS that MS have released that is brilliant out of the box (and I have been supporting Windows since 3.1), it's not perfect and there are still a few issues with it, especially for corporate IT. That's what I mean about the jury being out, until it's widely accepted by big corporates, it will still be looked on with skepticism. But that's neither here nor there, this is a WP7 discussion, not a W7 love in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well personally metro ui isnt somethin that would catch my eye and make me think wow...the ui that did was all hated winmo 6.5 with sense...with its big clock and wether animations. im eager to see what htc brings for wp7...even though their not allowed to tamper the core as much as in win mo but im sure it will be something nice for the eye...well i hope...all this hype ms crating to help devs for apps will sure be a success...would be quite disappointing to see.wp7 fail after years of development.

one app i hope to see is to use your phone as keyboard or touchpad for xbox live interface...even as a controller would be.cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    There's a lot of W7 love in this thread.. :)

Don't get me wrong, I have been using and supporting W7 machines since beta and while it's the first OS that MS have released that is brilliant out of the box (and I have been supporting Windows since 3.1), it's not perfect and there are still a few issues with it, especially for corporate IT. That's what I mean about the jury being out, until it's widely accepted by big corporates, it will still be looked on with skepticism. But that's neither here nor there, this is a WP7 discussion, not a W7 love in. :)

Corporates are always the last to upgrade, the reason for that has nothing to do with Windows 7

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Corporates are always the last to upgrade, the reason for that has nothing to do with Windows 7

Oh for Gawd's sake, I really have stumbled onto a 'don't diss my fave OS' group, haven't I? Why do you think corporates are the last to upgrade?

Corporates upgrading to W7 has a lot (not everything but a lot) to do with the OS and backwards compatability to accounts systems, payroll, legacy hardware like printers, plotters, etc. All of these things have to be tested before something new is rolled out. Any IT head worth his/her salt is not going to roll out a new OS just because it's new, (s)he is going to wait until SP1 is released at the very least and let all the early adopters do the testing for them. We have been bitten too often by MS' earlier shoddy products and just because Zdnet, Slashdot or a tech blogger say it's great doesn't mean we'll jump on the bandwagon.

Windows 7 is great, I've said that already but it isn't the second coming of Jesus. You don't have to get all defensive over it and argue with me just because I'm hesitant about saying it's the greatest OS ever to be coded. The first time I used Millennium Edition and Vista I thought they were decent enough but look at the crud they turned out to be! :)

OK CAN WE LEAVE W7 ALONE??
    It didnt do anything to WP7 :)

personally i have my eyes on this (depending on the hardware)

i love the design

• Advertisement

It looks way too much like an iPhone to me, to be honest. Why do the designers think we all want to have iPhone clones?

what it doesnt look anything near the iPhone...did you see the back of it?

i had E51 before and i liked the chrome details...guess thats why i like that one...

Oh for Gawd's sake, I really have stumbled onto a 'don't diss my fave OS' group, haven't I? Why do you think corporates are the last to upgrade?

When a corporate has spent millions of dollars/euros/pounds on a software system they don't ring microsoft and ask them "is my X system going to be compatible with your new Windows 7 operating system?" they ring the software developer and ask them, "is this compatible with Windows 7?"

This has been the case with "every" single operating system that has ever come out, Windows 1, Windows, 2 Windows 3 Windows 95 ... Windows 7, any IT head worth his/her salt would know this. This will always be the case.

Whatever about the back but the way the power button and headphone socket are positioned plus the chrome bezel and the positioning of the home button? The first thing I thought of was the 3G/3GS.

Schubert:
    HTC-Schubert-Front-500x325.jpg

3GS
    iphone-3gs-phat-09.jpg

When a corporate has spent millions of dollars/euros/pounds on a software system they don't ring microsoft and ask them "is my X system going to be compatible with your new Windows 7 operating system?" they ring the software developer and ask them, "is this compatible with Windows 7?"

This has been the case with "every" single operating system that has ever come out, Windows 1, Windows, 2 Windows 3 Windows 95 ... Windows 7, any IT head worth his/her salt would know this. This will always be the case.

Yawn. Let it go, guy.

• Advertisement

Yawn. Let it go, guy.

:rolleyes:

Your the one who posted garbage! Corporates are treating Windows 7 the exact same way they have (and will continue to) treated any new OS upgrade.

:rolleyes:

Your the one who posted garbage! Corporates are treating Windows 7 the exact same way they have (and will continue to) treated any new OS upgrade.

I think you should go back and read what I said because we're essentially saying the same thing. Any company, small or large, will refer back to the developer or manufacturer for compatibility questions but, compatibility aside, most IT departments will want an new OS to be in the wild for a while before they embrace it fully.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet because I, having been bitten in the past when I thought that Microsoft's latest cool and groovy system was great when it turned out to be a turd, am treating W7 skeptically. It's not even released a year yet. It's a fine system and the best that MS have done on launch so far but until I personally have seen it bedded in more environments than SOHO and home user, I will remain skeptical.

I think you should go back and read what I said because we're essentially saying the same thing. Any company, small or large, will refer back to the developer or manufacturer for compatibility questions but, compatibility aside, most IT departments will want an new OS to be in the wild for a while before they embrace it fully.

Which is exactly correct. What I'm saying is that Corporate take up to Windows 7 is no different to any OS before. Your above quote will be the same thing that happens with Windows 8, Windows 9 etc...

The jury is not out, its just how Corporates work with any new OS.

I had to make sure our software was compatible with Windows 7 before Windows 7 was even released. I wish I was able to have just rang Microsoft and said "Our software won't work on Windows 7, can you fix it?" :D

damn it you ruined my liking for Schubert now...

few interesting reads :)

HTC WP7 is 100% conviced that WP7 will be a success..

as well as i seen this yesterday a browser test between nexus one 2.2/iPhone 4/and LG Panther WP7...IE was quite surprising

also a new rumor phone to the list HTC T8788

its kind odd to see all these chrome stylings...kinda makes me think has that anything to do with the managers from Sony Erricson being brought into HTC management system since they kinda remind me a small bit of styling from the Xperia X10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

its kind odd to see all these chrome stylings...kinda makes me think has that anything to do with the managers from Sony Erricson being brought into HTC management system since they kinda remind me a small bit of styling from the Xperia X10

I'm not a big fan of these chrome stylings. The very first prototype device was the one that still appeals to me the most (seen here); basically just a flat black slab with a thin form factor.

Since the design emphasis of the Windows Phone 7 software is "Metro", ie minimalism with lots of straight and simple lines and graphics, and minimal use of glossy or excessive styling etc, it seems to go against the grain that the hardware should have curved, glossy or "fancy" elements

I'm waiting for a boring black slab really.

thats a nice one ahri :)

There should be plenty of different styles to chose from on launch. You won't be stuck with the one style. I'd like one that's looks like my HTC HD2 running Windows Phone 7 :D

There should be plenty of different styles to chose from on launch. You won't be stuck with the one style. I'd like one that's looks like my HTC HD2 running Windows Phone 7 :D

+1

WP7 will probably get ported once cottula is finished porting android (maybe not)

but cottula from xda seems to always make things happen once it comes to hacking HD2 ;)

• Advertisement

WP7 will probably get ported once cottula is finished porting android (maybe not)

but cottula from xda seems to always make things happen once it comes to hacking HD2 ;)

Cotulla is busy working with linux/Android were as Da_G has been working away with the HTC Mondrian WP7 Rom for the past 4 months! ;)

There's plenty of WP7 roms out now but at the moment the HTC Mondrian is the closest to the HD2... for the moment...

yeah but i mean once hes finished ;) i know that wont be finished for a good couple of months...even after everything is working cool and smooth...it will take centuries to smooth out the bugs and crap...

though since im not planning upgrade my hd2 till the new qualcomm chips come out i can just sit and wait :) (win mo and android doing me fine now :D )

though since im not planning upgrade my hd2 till the new qualcomm chips come out i can just sit and wait :) (win mo and android doing me fine now :D )

Me too! I'm very happy with my HD2 now (with Energ Rom) but I'm looking forward to seeing how good (or bad) WP7 is when its out.

so theres a good read :) if you got time click on the bog the blogger is talking about...

ive alot of developers,geeks on my twitter account and the whole lot doesnt shut up how easy it is to program and develop apps on microsofts windows phone 7 platform

300'000 developers tools were downloaded since they went online...ofc some people re download them more than once so you could take away around 100k download but even at that its a huge figure...

with microsoft developing its own games and so many developers going making apps for windows phone 7 do you think it will have what it takes to stand beside iPhone and Android marketplaces?

the other day i was reading a post that its very easy to transfer iPhone apps to windows phone 7 platform so we will probably see alot of multi platform apps from now on both available on the iPhone and on the WP7....

have a read here :)

HD3 is on the way... and Windows Phone 7 is now RTM, apparently Europe will be the first to see phones beginning next month.

well its the HD7 now hd3 :)

it better have the new processor :) and a tv out

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Have to say looking forward to this release, XBOX live on a phone, count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Absolutely, i held off on importing a Zune, and more recently jumping on the Android HTC train to see what happens with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement