Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

snappieT wrote: »
    You're very quick to forget that the first year of iPhone didn't have any marketplace at all, and it did just fine.

Indeed but you are forgetting apple invented the appstore back then, yes symbian and winmo had Apps you could buy or pike all over the shop, but apple invented the centralised Appstore concept, WP7 is 3 years behind Appstore and getting on for 2 years behind Android Market. They are launching phones with comparable hardware, coupled with an immature OS that has laughable omissions like no cut and paste for example, into a world dominated by mature established OS's like Android and iOS, personally I don't see a bright future for WP7, and neither do Gartner.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm looking forward to the new phones, the OS looks interesting. Tue app situation doesn't worry me too much, iPhone and Android both started with no apps. If we wanted every app to be available from day one it sure would make the phone boring.

My question is will Three be getting the Omni 7, I'm currently using a HD2 running Android, the HD7 really doesn't seem to be an upgrade and I definitely want to leave o2 based on their network

Inquitus wrote: »
    You can't bring an inferior OS to market with no appstore and no dev community, a year or two behind the curve.
    snappieT wrote: »
    You're very quick to forget that the first year of iPhone didn't have any marketplace at all, and it did just fine.

Also iOS / iPhone was arguably revolutionary at launch, I hate Jobs as much as the next man, but even I will grudgingly give him that. WP7 is not revolutionary at launch, it stacks up poorly versus the competition, which again is another major thing going against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's insane to write this off. I wouldn't be surprised if this surpasses ios in two to three years. MS can buy success for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I must say that I quite like the UI. The browser doesn't look too great though.

well not too fond of the UI...not enough customization on stock there :( though browser was meant to be great on an engadget review...time will tell though
    WP7 is 3 years behind Appstore and getting on for 2 years behind Android Market. They are launching phones with comparable hardware, coupled with an immature OS that has laughable omissions like no cut and paste for example, into a world dominated by mature established OS's like Android and iOS, personally I don't see a bright future for WP7, and neither do Gartner.

MS developed great developers tools that also allow app porting from iPhone to WP7 and vice versa. I really dont think there will be a problem. Especially that most developers said they never had so much fun developing apps for WP7

I think MS is being criticized way to hard on their OS...

iOS didn't have copy paste in the start and it had its flaws just the same way android had its till Google bought it.
    You cant expect a new OS to just jump in there. developing something that can stand up to the existing platforms takes times. and so far i think ms did good android didn't just jump and overtake iOS it took quite a few years.

Windows Phone 7 platform is an upgradable OS so future updates are coming as well as was discussed that better support for arm processors as i said before is being written in the future as additional features as flash were being talked about being added.

just speaking of copy paste just read on this :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/11/xbox-live-for-windows-phone-7-your-xbox-isnt-in-your-phone-yet/

THREE MINUTES to load a game with no multitasking option?!?!?
    :eek:

iOS didn't have copy paste in the start and it had its flaws just the same way android had its till Google bought it.
    You cant expect a new OS to just jump in there. developing something that can stand up to the existing platforms takes times. and so far i think ms did good android didn't just jump and overtake iOS it took quite a few years.

iOS was revolutionary at launch, and despite being immature and lacking key features its stacked up brilliantly against the opposition, given Symbian and WinMo 6.x were terrible for capacitive touch screen phones.

iOS could still succeed without alot of key features as it was soo much better than what existed at the time.

Android was given a lifeline by Apple being tied to AT&T, it meant huge swathes of America couldn't/wouldn't get an iPhone and left a huge market for a nascent Android to step into, one that it gratefully exploited. This again allowed it to succeed despite alot of flaws as it wasn't competing with iOS, the benchmark of the time.

WP7 is launched in direct competition to 2 outstanding mobile platforms - iOS and Android, one of which is opensource and free to use. It's hard to see how an inferior OS for which MS charges a license fee for use is going to succeed in such a cutthroat market.

And when you have major manufacturers like Samsung saying things like this:

“We are Prioritizing our Android platform. Android is very open and flexible, and there is a consumer demand for it,” YH Lee, head of marketing at Samsung Mobile, told Reuters in an interview on sidelines of the IFA consumer electronics fair.

I think its only fair to predict WP7 has one hell of an uphill battle.

and an uphill batter it will be.

but the only reason the iOS ever succeeded was cause of the right marketing...and **** it it was the right time they came in cause there wasnt really alot of competition there.

Android isnt free...im sure if you snipped around you would find that out :)

and no it wasnt the fact that the iPhone was tied down to one network. It was the fact that verizon advertised the crap out of it with their droid line up.

anyway i played around with android on my hd2 a few weeks later i just stopped booting it up cause it got boring to me and doesnt provide such easy access to modify and customize your UI like on 6.5.x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

inferior OS

How have you come up with this? By all accounts at the launch event, its a very slick OS.
    MS charges a license fee

Just look at all the big companies who are behind Windows Phone 7 and have models all ready for sale.
    Why did they bother if they have to pay a license fee for each phone.

Also Samsung are going to release 7 new Windows Phone 7 models before the end of the year, how many new Android phones will they be releasing before the end of the year? So much for prioritizing Android.

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/74781.html

If one company could pull this off it would be Microsoft. We'll just have to wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Just look at all the big companies who are behind Windows Phone 7 and have models all ready for sale.
    Why did they bother if they have to pay a license fee for each phone.

Samsung etc. will have signed a license, but MS will effectively be paying the OEMs to utilize the platform. It's a analogy that not entirely correct; but consider when Dell started offering Ubuntu 2 or 3 years ago, the overall costs were greater for Dell than "paying" MS for Windows. So a free platform isn't always a cheaper alternative.
    Also Samsung are going to release 7 new Windows Phone 7 models before the end of the year, how many new Android phones will they be releasing before the end of the year? So much for prioritizing Android.

My gut feeling on this, is that this was a negotiating tactic from Samsung to extract more favourable terms from MS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If they market the devices well they could pick up alot of the market. xbox mobile will attract alot of the tech geek crowd which influences the rest of the market.

How have you come up with this? By all accounts at the launch event, its a very slick OS.wait and see...

No cut and paste, no multitasking, among many things. And MS paid big money to the likes of HTC to have a decent lineup at launch. Much the same as they paid EA et al big money to have those games etc. ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Microsoft will leverage the **** out of their existing product line up namely Windows, Office and Xbox which are the worlds number one desktop operating system, the worlds number one office application suite and the worlds number two games console, to make WP7 the best handheld OS to integrate with those highly popular products.

They have the deepest pockets out of any of the players in the market. Their turnover roughly the same size as Apple and Google combined.

When the original xbox launched it was entering a crowded marketplace and despite a few innovative features it was way behind the competition in terms of software support. Roll on 10 years and they're ahead of the once dominant Sony and have a very large user base with a huge chunk of market share.

If they commit to WP7 like they did to xbox they will steadily gain market share over the coming years and I would expect them to take a large chunk out of Apples, Googles, RIM's and Nokia's slice of the smartphone OS pie.

dude both of them issues have been talked about to be added in coming months.

and htc has been bringing out windows phones since it started so i doubt ms paid anything to them..its actually better to have a bigger choice for consumers...

i doubt they paid anything to ea either EA has provided some games on windows mobile 6.5.x platform and the graphics and game play was just as good on android

if you do have source to your comment please correct me :P

it is the only software company that can afford to fail at a product

dont think xbox gaming on the phone has anything to do with being techy or w/e people want apps and games so ms give them games and apps...alot of people play and use xbox so why not give em a little xbox on their phone

MS paid big money to the likes of HTC to have a decent lineup at launch. Much the same as they paid EA et al big money to have those games etc. ready.

Where did you get this info from? What about Samsumg did they pay them big money? and LG? and Dell? Garmin-Asus? HP? LG? Samsung? Sony Ericsson? Toshiba?

Can you give some links to those as well?

Also for the "5" games developers that all have there games ready release day.

Digital Chocolate
    Halfbrick
    Protege Games
    Gameloft
    PopCap
    Digital Goldfish
    i-Play
    Press Start Studio
    MGS
    Konami
    THQ
    Rough Cookie
    Mobliss Inc.
    Namco Bandai
    Carbonated Games
    Halfbrick
    Critical Thought
    Psionic
    Powerhead Games
    Glu Mobile
    InMotion
    Godzilab
    IUGO
    Infinite Dreams
    True Axis
    One click dog
    Flip N Tale
    PressPlay
    Supermono Limited
    Namco
    Arkedo
    Chaotic Moon
    Revo Solutions
    Codeglue
    Babaroga

It would take to long to list the other software developers...
    My long term prediction for WP7 is slightly less epic fail then WinMo 6.5, Gartner say the same.

Your long term prediction is "your" long term prediction which is fine but even Gartner are changing there tune now.

dont think xbox gaming on the phone has anything to do with being techy or w/e people want apps and games so ms give them games and apps...alot of people play and use xbox so why not give em a little xbox on their phone

No but alot of people who are into gadgets/tech/phones etc are also into gaming. If your the kind of person whom goes on a forum about mobile phones then I'd call you techy.

Their are a number of people I know who like to play xbox who would also be classed as techy. It's my experience that these people are asked for advice when purchasing any kind of device. Get it into these peoples hands and your on to a winner.

you really havent a clue whats going on on xda

thousands of non tech people join it everyday and start spamming forums with question.

anyway you would be stupid to pay 600 euro + on a phone and not do your research and not make the most of what it can do

you really havent a clue whats going on on xda

thousands of non tech people join it everyday and start spamming forums with question.

anyway you would be stupid to pay 600 euro + on a phone and not do your research and not make the most of what it can do

Not sure where the hostility is coming from here. The majority of people don't spend €600 on a phone. They spend €150 to €200 on it and purchase on contract.

As to researching your purchases that's exactly what I am saying. Most iPhone users have not gone to Engadget, Gizmodo et al to investigate the features of their phones. They see the ad, see what their mates are using and purchase the device. If Microsoft convince the tech/gaming crowd to give the phone a chance and it gets good press and good word of mouth then the people who ignore tech blogs will also be likely to buy.

lol but WP7 is not a techy phone...

all HD2 users are pissed of that you wont be able to customize the UI anymore and its a dumbed down locked down OS just like crapple

there's no hostility either :) its just that alot of people on xda wouldnt have a clue anything about the OS :) just go on it when bored or something its probably 2 in 10 that would have alot more knowledge about the phone

the rest just keep asking for .cab's :)

I get you, though I think the HD2 owners are more annoyed that the HD7 is the same hardware with the buttons in different places and that we aren't being given the opportunity to flash WP7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

liamog wrote: »
    Not sure where the hostility is coming from here. The majority of people don't spend €600 on a phone. They spend €150 to €200 on it and purchase on contract.

As to researching your purchases that's exactly what I am saying. Most iPhone users have not gone to Engadget, Gizmodo et al to investigate the features of their phones. They see the ad, see what their mates are using and purchase the device. If Microsoft convince the tech/gaming crowd to give the phone a chance and it gets good press and good word of mouth then the people who ignore tech blogs will also be likely to buy.

This, to a large extent, is what Microsoft did when they were launching Windows 7 - to get the tech heads to try it and like it, they gave away free 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate authentication keys at almost every Windows 7 launch event. This was to everyone who attended, the one I went to in Cork easily had 200+ at it and by their standards was most likely pretty small. They knew that most of the people going would be geeky enough to install it, just to have a look at it, and they were sufficiently confident of the product to know that most would like it and recommend it, so it was worth whatever the cost was to give away all those keys.

Microsoft are in the mobile market again now and they aren't going to bow out gracefully. As others have said, they will throw mountains of cash at pushing WP7 just to get a foot in the door. Regardless of whether MS are liked or not, they are still a recognised brand and outside the geek community will be far more recognisable than Android. I can see Android and RIM losing more market share to WP7 than Apple because there are going to be a fair few people out there who, when trying to decide on their next phone, will see the MS brand, the Xbox Live tie in and the handy Windows Live integration and will pick it over Android. Also, companies could see WP7 slotting into their Exchange/MS Office model easier than Android and Blackberry. Apple are always going to be a standout company because of the 'shiny toy' aspect to their devices.

Interesting times ahead. While us geeks will flame and berate each other on the internet about our mobile OS choice, the rest of the world will go out and choose a phone based on the best bargains available and what cool features they can get for the price. Once again, it ultimately means that all the OS devs and handset manufacturers will have to innovate and think up better ways to 'wow' us, which means good things are ahead for all of us. :)

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    the rest of the world will go out and choose a phone based on the best bargains available and what cool features they can get for the price

and the looks of the handset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

and the looks of the handset

I would class the look of a handset as a 'cool feature'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The battle has now become

Google vs Apple vs Microsoft.

All three of them are powerhouses in their own respect with Google dominating the Internet, Apple dominating the consumer devices market and Microsoft dominating the OS market.

its like the space race :) only a consumer based :)

im looking forward to this xmas :) and next year...3 major players pushing all their resources out to be #1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Played with one of LG's and Samsung's W7 devices today for a few mins. Both seemed to be nice devices with both being extremely responsive.

Didn't get a chance to see the HTC handsets :(

where did you do that :) i wanna play with some too :D

WP7 or Windows Phone 7

tmobile_hd7_color.pngsamsung_omnia7_color.pnglge900pressbestboyz4.pngwindowsphone7series.jpg

A complete rewrite of Microsoft mobile system that has been so neglected for a long time. And has been used more for business purposes and in GPS systems rather then for the average user

The Operating System target was to make an easy user interface that would suit majority of people and remove all the question marks in the usability and looks of the user interface.

This why the square blocks came with whats called live tiles where live updates come up from ie. your Facebook friends or messages or emails pop up and interact in the tiles. As you can see its completely different from any other leading phone manufacturer. You can play around/move edit and add content to your home screen.

Also as the name suggests that Microsoft is trying to move away from PDA's and PDA style phones that were completely stylus operated and being finger friendly and easy to use.

Windows Phone 7 Platform currently doesnt support some essential features as copy and paste or multi-tasking third party applications but has said to bring those in the upcoming updates in 2011

also some useful links added for readers :)

Microsoft's Website

Windows Phone Central for Updates and Coming Phones

More links/info Provided by AntiVirus :)

Xbox Hub, Need for Speed, & Rocket Riot

The Sims 3 on Windows Phone 7

Sharepoint & Office 2010 on Windows Phone 7

Couple of good xbox live video's here.

Xbox Hub, Need for Speed, & Rocket Riot
    http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/xbox-hub-need-for-speed-rocket-riot

The Sims 3 on Windows Phone 7
    http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/the-sims-3-on-windows-phone-7

And for the business users
    Sharepoint & Office 2010 on Windows Phone 7
    http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/sharepoint-office-2010-on-windows-phone-7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

where did you do that :) i wanna play with some too :D

Work :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement