Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

envy :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

Can't decide between the HTC HD7 and the Samsung Omnia 7. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Bulktohulk wrote: »
    Can't decide between the HTC HD7 and the Samsung Omnia 7. :(

Well this might help you ;-)

HTC HD7 vs Samsung Omnia 7

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/36161/htc-hd7-vs-samsung-omnia-7

do have in mind that EU HTC HD7 should (not confirmed) have only 8GB of memory which is a bummer. And no removable SD card slot :S though ive seen one one Samsung you could remove it. But after doing so the phone requires a hard reset

im so tempted to get the HD7 once it comes out...But with the release of WP7 on HD2 not far away ( i presume ) i just don't think its worth it when i have a multi-platform phone :(

though i do dig the looks and the kickstand...just wish they didnt leave the hardware the same and gave something a bit better for current HD2 owners :(

do have in mind that EU HTC HD7 should (not confirmed) have only 8GB of memory which is a bummer. And no removable SD card slot :S though ive seen one one Samsung you could remove it. But after doing so the phone requires a hard reset

im so tempted to get the HD7 once it comes out...But with the release of WP7 on HD2 not far away ( i presume ) i just don't think its worth it when i have a multi-platform phone :(

though i do dig the looks and the kickstand...just wish they didnt leave the hardware the same and gave something a bit better for current HD2 owners :(

Actually 02 are saying it's going to have 16gb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Defo agree on the HD2 + 7, Cotulla is a god and will hopefully will have it done near release time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Any word on a release date for the Samsung Omnia 7 on Meteor?

rc28 wrote: »
    Any word on a release date for the Samsung Omnia 7 on Meteor?

I heard late November for Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Actually 02 are saying it's going to have 16gb.

Yup O2 in the UK seem to have confirmed 16GB for the HD7, which is just as well. 8GB just doesn't cut it with modern smartphones.

And the good news; it will apparently be available in the UK from this Thursday (21st October)

Question: I'm on O2 here, but I'm definitely not entitled to any upgrades. What kind of cost for this handset in that case?

wtf will i have to do with my class 6 16 gb card then? :(

thought the good thing about memory cards was that you can take em out and move them to your new phone with all the data in it :(

• Advertisement

Yup O2 in the UK seem to have confirmed 16GB for the HD7, which is just as well. 8GB just doesn't cut it with modern smartphones.

And the good news; it will apparently be available in the UK from this Thursday (21st October)

Question: I'm on O2 here, but I'm definitely not entitled to any upgrades. What kind of cost for this handset in that case?

559 euro for the HTC HD7 sim free mate.

thought this might be useful to whats coming up :)

windows_phone_7devices_hardware_specifications-1024x955.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Where did you get that price from and when is it available?

eep...

thats still not bad...suppose its as much as HD2 was :)

do have in mind due to the fact of minimal hardware requirements of WP7 i dont think there will be one cheap handset for quite a while till the 1Ghz processors will start dropping their prices.

And that wont happen till faster ones come out

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Where did you get that price from and when is it available?

The O2 Ireland website has a HD7 page online here which allows you to sign up for email alerts when they become available. The good news here is that the spec'd storage size is definitely 16GB.

There's also a post in the forum that says they will be "on shelves" October 21st, but no mention of price yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

The HD7 is supposed to be on shelves tommorrow but they still haven't got any prices :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

The omnia 7 super amoled screen looks the business, puts the HD7 screen to screen to shame.
    Enough to sway me from the HD7... i dont know.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/samsung-omnia-7-takes-on-htcs-hd7-and-7-mozart-in-battle-for-wp/

Received directly from O2 rep:
    The pricing for the HD7 is as follows;

New Customers

Advance 150 €289
    Advance 350 €249
    Advance 550 €199
    Advance 700 - free

Existing Customers

Silver level upgrade: 289
    Gold level upgrade: 249
    Platinum level upgrade: 199
    Diamond level upgrade: free

bloody steep. im looking at 60 a month and then 250 on top of that for the phone. Might just hold out and but outright when it's available.
    shame really I was looking forward to getting my mitts on it this week.

yeah the display is better. but personally i think the omnia is damn ugly compared to htc phones. also htc has managed to maintain one of the finest built phones in the world. as oppose to cheap feel with samsung :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

If you are new to O2, enjoy the low data limits :eek::D

€479 on prepay for the HD7
    if you are new to O2, enjoy the low data limits
    It's actually pretty generous if you go for the 3gb free add on giving you 4gb of data a month.

beanian wrote: »
    €479 on prepay for the HD7

It's actually pretty generous if you go for the 3gb free add on giving you 4gb of data a month.

That's pretty good as the HD2 is still €500+ on prepay.

Expansys.ie is quoting a mildly ridiculous €610 (without delivery) for simfree.

Anyone know if any O2 stores are actually going to have them in stock for tomorrow?

Expansys.ie is quoting a mildly ridiculous €610 (without delivery) for simfree.

I'm assuming if you purchase the HD7 on prepay from o2 that it will be locked to their network hence the cost reduction.
    Anyone know if any O2 stores are actually going to have them in stock for tomorrow?

From talking to a guy in O2 he said there is good availability on the handset and should be in all stores tomorrow.
    Just to be sure I rang O2 in henry st and they also confirmed they will have it tomorrow.

Game On!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

beanian wrote: »
    I'm assuming if you purchase the HD7 on prepay from o2 that it will be locked to their network hence the cost reduction.
    I think that's very likely, I wonder how long before someone figures out how to unlock them. Given how easy the iPhone has been I'm expecting that MS have put a lot of effort into making it difficult, so I think it could take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

This app looks pretty cool, works well with the new UI

http://cocktailflow.com/

AntiVirus wrote: »
    This app looks pretty cool, works well with the new UI

http://cocktailflow.com/

actually that would have been handy for me a few years ago when i used to be doing stock check for the pub and the off-licence hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I have a HTC Desire and am tempted by HD7.

Is it true that it doesn't support copy and paste, html5, flash (not too bothered tbh) and twitter?

I have a HTC Desire and am tempted by HD7.

Is it true that it doesn't support copy and paste, html5, flash (not too bothered tbh) and twitter?

Twitter apps are already on the marketplace, and are apparently quite well integrated into the rest of WP7.

Copy and Paste are due in the first major update in Jan 2011. Not too sure about html5 and flash.

I'm afraid that there is a slight penalty for being an early adopter with Windows Phone 7 in that there will be gaps here and there in the OS. For example, there's no receiving of photos, audio etc via bluetooth. But in fairness to MS they have structured the OS so that updates can be rolled out internationally to all phones at once and installed without wiping data. There won't be the OS version fragmentation that Android suffers from (some people are stuck on 1.6 whilst others are on 2.2). Updates will likely come thick and fast.

• Advertisement

flash support is meant to be coming on the coming updates hopefully in 2011. MS wants to re-write the OS for better support for ARM processors to be able to support all the features it can offer. So hopefully once that comes in it will be a golden update :)

also as said copy paste support will be provided in the first upgrade.

its quite good as this feature wasn't supported originally and MS actually listened to the feedback and agreed to implement it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement