Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

masker wrote: »
    <video>

its good that ms is finally doing some publicity but i think they should rather show of their OS features rather than just the home screen :)

asus WP7 out in the wild :)

also a long talk about wp7 :)

HERE

quite a nice sleek phone ;)

==================================================================================

Samsung GT-i8700 pics surface also out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Maybe its just me but all these new phones are bleedin clones of each other...iphone/htc desire/samsung galaxy, they all look the same apart from a quirky cover...I want something quirky!

Desire doesn't look anything like the iPhone or Galaxy. Though this have been discussed of Galaxy looking alot like the iPhone though even the shortcut name SGS reminds ya of the 3GS :) galaxy owners deny that ;)

though phones are looking more a like since their all surrounded by the touchscreen. same candy bar shape. Some new HTC phones in the first page there are alot diff :) quite cool designs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Damie wrote: »
    Maybe its just me but all these new phones are bleedin clones of each other...iphone/htc desire/samsung galaxy, they all look the same apart from a quirky cover...I want something quirky!

I give you the new Windows Phone!!! :D

windows_phone.jpg

(Batteries not included)

• Advertisement

Microsoft to officially kick off Windows Phone 7 on October 11th, devices launch shortly after
    There's been a lot of rumors about this lately, most of which we disregarded on grounds of speculation. But now it's been made official: Microsoft will be kicking-off Windows Phone 7 on October 11th, This isn't a "launch" as many have called it, but rather an open-house, most likely full of phone demonstrations and disclosure of carrier release dates. It's a month away, but we've waited 4 years...what's another 32 days?

Source

============================================================================================================

They had a cool parade for it too today :)

Find it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bugzy

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I give you the new Windows Phone!!! :D

windows_phone.jpg

(Batteries not included)

i found the exact same thing :) only a bit updated :)

HTC Trophy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Engadget have a two videos of HTC's customization of 7. Have to say, i think it looks brutal, it's completely at odds with aesthetic of the platform and is classic case of form over function e.g. some of the transitions were up to two seconds owing to the completely OTT animations.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/is-this-htc-sense-on-windows-phone-7/

some news on new htc sense :) looks quite cool :)

lol talk about identical posting time :)

• Advertisement

Bugzy wrote: »
    some news on new htc sense :) looks quite cool :)

Very cool! By far the nicest weather app animation I've seen on any phone :)

indeed but if your at work/college/school it might not be very good if you have forgotten to put your phone on silent and you want to check the weather :D

indeed but if your at work/college/school it might not be very good if you have forgotten to put your phone on silent and you want to check the weather :D

I'm pretty sure there'll be an option to turn off animations and sound :pac:

some good news in one way :) hope this will be carried out sooner rather than latter

Since WP7 can only support GSM (not a problem for us) but it will probably have a rewrite for CDMA too in WP7.

Along the good updates it was said that ms is already looking into to updating their software to support third party app muliti tasking and once the new core is finished it will be able to support flash 10.1

this kind of explains why flash and multi tasking hasn't been brought from the start. but at least their admitting it that their looking into it and will be available to customers who will buy the phone in the upcoming months :)

so not too shabby :)

SOURCE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

The WP7 launch event is happening in New York today. Should be interesting to see what sort of phones will be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

it seems the HD7 to be an 02 exclusive

well hd2 was o2 too so guess they will follow on the legacy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

A lot of old chipsets in these phones including the HD7.

yeah well you cant really expect alot for a new OS to have top specs. when android came out first it wasnt top of the line.

i also think next windows phones batch wont come out till ms rewrites the os for better arm processor support as well as flash support.

anyway Windows Phone 7 is official today :) will be looking at the launch videos tonight :D

i always enjoy CEO speeches :)

• Advertisement

I think we should open a new sub forum for WP7. Where do I put in a request for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Boxfresh wrote: »
    I think we should open a new sub forum for WP7. Where do I put in a request for one?

That would be Forum Requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Boxfresh wrote: »

what, for all 2 people here that might buy a windows 7 phone:pac:
    well hd2 was o2 too so guess they will follow on the legacy :)

it wasn't an exclusive though as the HD2 is on vodafone as well

what, for all 2 people here that might buy a windows 7 phone:pac:

I've seen forums on boards here with less people using them. :pac:

Lots of stuff up on Engadet so far!

http://www.engadget.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

WP7 looks fugly, has no dev community bar the 5 dev houses they paid millions to for the games for launch, the hardware on the launch phones is industry standard not groundbreaking. The only people I can see being enthused about it are the xbox gamescore kiddies who represent 0.0001% of the smartphone market.

RIP WP7, it was funny laughing at the funeral you held for iOS.....I note you didn't have the cheek to add android to the procession, as you know not even the dumbest fanbois could have swallowed that.

I'd like to get my mitts on a WP7 to have a mess with, but WinMo 6.x has been a POS for eons, and WP7 is about 3 years late to market.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How can you fault them on the hardware. They're equal to pretty much every high end phone on the market (except maybe the still camera and storage space). As for developer support, android had no developer support at one stage and look at it now. I'm still not too sure on the ui either. WP7 has an up hill battle ahead of it but with the weight of microsoft behind it, it has potential to take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How can you fault them on the hardware. They're equal to pretty much every high end phone on the market (except maybe the still camera and storage space). As for developer support, android had no developer support at one stage and look at it now. I'm still not too sure on the ui either. WP7 has an up hill battle ahead of it but with the weight of microsoft behind it, it has potential to take off.

I am stating what differentiators it brings to market:

Hardware - None
    OS - Immature and Fugly
    Appstore - None to speak of bar the apps dev houses were paid millions to make

My long term prediction for WP7 is slightly less epic fail then WinMo 6.5, Gartner say the same. You can't bring an inferior OS to market with no appstore and no dev community, a year or two behind the curve.

Android got away with it because Apple foolishly locked themselves into AT&T which has an inferior network, and was an untenable smartphone OS choice for vast swathes of the US as a result, this allowed android to grow and flourish in the US despite being vastly inferior to iphone for its first 18mths or more, WP7 doesn't have the same luck, it's caught between the iOS truck and the now mature Android freight train, and its 2 years late to market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Inquitus wrote: »
    has no dev community bar the 5 dev houses they paid millions to for the games for launch

Actually I've already built an app for it, ready to go once the marketplace launches to public developers.
    Inquitus wrote:
    You can't bring an inferior OS to market with no appstore and no dev community
    You're very quick to forget that the first year of iPhone didn't have any marketplace at all, and it did just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I must say that I quite like the UI. The browser doesn't look too great though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement