Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I don't think its an activation issue as I can download apps if I search for them. I get an error message when I try to load the home screen for the app market.

Yeah Marketplace was acting funny for me earlier too. It's fine now though, must just have been busy with all of us getting our new phones.

Hey does anyone know if PDF files can be transferred directly to the phone at the moment to be viewed in Acrobat X? Or do we have to email it to ourselves like iPhone users had to at the start?

I'm also wondering if there's any way to change the default search engine in Internet Explorer from Yahoo to anything else. Yahoo blows.

Otherwise, what a great phone. It is literally like no other OS I've used yet and makes poor old WM 6.5 look like a first year project in College..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

What's the web browser like on it? Would it be as fast as opera mobile 10?

Boxfresh wrote: »
    What's the web browser like on it? Would it be as fast as opera mobile 10?

It's much faster than Opera 9.7 that was on my Diamond 2, but that's mostly down to better hardware. There aren't really any configurable options in this version of IE (set the standard font size etc) but the rotation is great, pinch to zoom is very fast and the favourites system works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

So no configurable options means you cant search with Google?

So no configurable options means you cant search with Google?

Whenever I hit the search button in IE (with my O2 HD7) it brings me to the Yahoo website, which is unusual when Bing is the default everywhere else in Windows Phone 7. I cannot find anywhere yet to change that, so it must be a partnership thing between O2 and Yahoo. Some enterprising young fellow is sure to figure out how to change that sooner or later [opens up xda-developers in a new tab]

For now, Google is there as a Favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Update: Marketplace is working fine as soon as I connect to wifi. Might be just low signal coverage in the office preventing me from using it.

Marketplace looks great on it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

ENVY :) i want one now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Hey all, just looking to get the omnia 7 on meteor, anyone know if its avail yet?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Will be picking up my HD7 later today so yay! That's something to do while X Factor is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

simi956 wrote: »

Bulktohulk

Where did you pick up a Samsung Omnia 7, as I have been looking everyone for one

I'm living in the Uk atm mate. Bought it over here.

• Advertisement

Is there a link to the OS X syncing software? Can't find it anywhere. The engadget review implied it was out. If not, I basically have no way to transfer data to my phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

chrislad wrote: »
    Is there a link to the OS X syncing software? Can't find it anywhere. The engadget review implied it was out. If not, I basically have no way to transfer data to my phone!
    Beta to be released October 24 according to the interwebs. http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/10/21/windows-phone-7-connector-revealed-sync-with-your-mac/

yeah u wont see mac sync suite for a while i guess :) not the finished product anyway :)

get windows :P

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

I seem to have trouble with search on maps. If i do a search while in the maps application it brings up bing and does not display any local results, only news and web. Basically there is no map search functionality at all.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

Guess I shall have to wait until tomorrow to get the music side of it set up. Strange releasing a beta on a Sunday though. Bet it won't be there until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

ENVY :) i want one now :)

no, you don't ;)
    3 hrs - and back in it's box. Back to o2 on Monday. It's ridiculously dumb. I knew about no tether/mass-storage/copypaste etc... but zune isn't iTunes(in a bad way) and the market place stinks. And though Opera Mini 5.1 is 7-compatible, you cannot install it. No file explorer. No java apps except from marketplace. sound is pathetic considering the only useful thing is its screen for vids. Browser is okay speedwise but: history delete means cache, cookies etc all gone. No seperate deletion.
    ach... I could go on and on (like: who designed the panel colours? Dulux?)...

Only Samsung could possibly do a worse job...with a java os :))

Windows phone 7? iDumb 0.9 more like it!

DO NOT BUY

beanian wrote: »
    I seem to have trouble with search on maps. If i do a search while in the maps application it brings up bing and does not display any local results, only news and web. Basically there is no map search functionality at all.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

I'm seeing the same thing.

I suspect it's because bing doesn't hold much data for Ireland; we should be seeing a "local" tab in the bing results that would should us addresses, businesses, restaurants etc. Because doesn't have ANY ROI info in this regard, it looks like the "local" tab is not being shown at all, which means we can't search the map!

I'm assuming Google (or aome other developer) will come to the rescue with this one, and either build a similar app based on bing maps with better functionality, or just do a Google maps version altogether (which would be good, since Google Maps DOES have loads of ROI maps data, and street view too of course).

The price of being an early adopter :D

yeah well unfortunately MS never brought out their full range of services.

www.bing.ie is still a beta and doesn't offer a full range of services they have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Anyone found any good Irish apps eg newpapers radio ?

any one found any irish developers? :)

• Advertisement

After couple of days, I find the following

Positive
    *Virtual keyboard is the best one I have used, and I've used a lot. Very easy to use with very few errors
    *Lovely big screen, software very intuitive.
    *Good Xbox Live interface overall, quite easy to get games
    *Ability to add anything you want to your home screen
    *Excellent intergration with Facebook
    *Email is quite decent and very fast to load. I love having a seperate button for each to be honest. People go on about unified inboxes, but I have no interest in that. It's kind of annoying for me. I'd rather keep work and personal email as far away as possible
    *Marketplace is nice looking, if a bit disorganised at present.

Negatives
    *Xbox Live needs a bit more work. Had a few crashes, and a lot of the information is web only (you click in app, and you're brought to the web)
    *Internet Explorer: Can't type an address when in landscape mode?!? Wha?!
    *Basic multitasking - needs to come soon. Locking the screen even results in an app having to reload.
    *No menu/context button (a la Android). Quite essential, holding down the Windows button would be an easy fix.
    *No Mac/USB support. You need Zune to get anything onto the phone, quite annoying as I'm using a Mac and the device does not have USB support so doesn't show up in Finder/My Computer
    *Copy and Paste - not a massive issue, but it's handy and it is coming so I'm not really too worried. Took the iPhone 2 years to get it anyways!

Overall, I'm quite impressed and happy with it. It's fast, loads quicky, and is very fast to boot up. Been a launch device, I'm missing a few apps (StumbleUpon, WhatsApp, Angry Birds, eBuddy) that I have on the iOS and Android platforms, but it's very early days. I'm sure they will be along in time. IMDB and Flixster are much better than the iPhone counterparts, in my opinion. They look much nicer and I actually enjoy using them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Hey,

Could someone give me details on Meteor's offer for the Omnia 7

I've been searching google just to try and get a price for it on bill pay or payg. Can't seem to find anything on their site either.

Any info appreciated, especially on pricing.

Meteor don't have the Omnia 7. don't have any Windows phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/18246-windows-phone-7-phones-for/
    The Samsung Omnia 7 will be available from 3 and Meteor from the end of November.

As I said, finding info on this has been a pain.

Have they announced that they're not going to be doing them, cause PR is dead it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/18246-windows-phone-7-phones-for/

Have they announced that they're not going to be doing them, cause PR is dead it seems

Their sales department replied to me this morning and simply said they have "no information" on when that handset will be released on their network. Bit of a joke considering it's already been released in the UK a week.

its meteor :) what do you expect :)

id say they are more concentrated on getting desire HD/Z in stock sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Has anyone got any info on vodafone's release schedule?

no idea pal

you could try the Vodafone forum though they might

A link on the internet isn't concrete info. :)

I've not heard anything about them getting a Windows phone. They have not said they're not getting them, and I do think that getting them would be a good idea to supplements their non-iPhone smartphone line, but nothing has been set in stone as far as retail goes yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Disappointing first impressions here.

I was holding out to see if this could beat Android but it looks like a disaster here.

I might wait until the new year to replace my 6.5 Win Mobile to see if Jan update makes it usable.

But I'll probably just get an Android as they seem to way further ahead and a nicer platform overall having used friends phones and viewing videos on Phone 7. Doesn't appear to have been thought out properly despite throwing all existing stuff out the window to start again.

If anyone wants to offload one cheap, give me a PM (200 Euro mark :P )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement