Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

zinx,

If you post in this thread again I will ban you from the entire Tipperary Forum. Consider this your only warning.

Ridiculous troll post deleted, along with posts that quoted the offending material.

Right lads, back to the hurling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

beat me to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

anyways did anyone hear Sheedys interview with Marty last night?

I had missed that..Thanks for the link:)

zinx,

If you post in this thread again I will ban you from the entire Tipperary Forum. Consider this your only warning.

Ridiculous troll post deleted, along with posts that quoted the offending material.

Right lads, back to the hurling :)

It must have killed you to delete looders classic? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

anyways did anyone hear Sheedys interview with Marty last night?

How could you have anything but respect and gratitude for all he has done for us listening to that? He comes across as so genuinley modest too, theres no script in front of him. Thanks again liam

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

yeah. hes a humble man, in fairness. i hope now, tht they take their time in picking new manager, but id like to see an ex tipp player that hasnt retired long. because they will have the respect of the players. and i suppose it needs to start there to have a winning combination.

Just listening to Sheedy on Tipp fm there. Im going to miss him and the other two big time.

Anyone know will Gortnahoe-Glengoole v Borrisokane be played with the semis the weekend in semple? Would make great common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Just listening to Sheedy on Tipp fm there. Im going to miss him and the other two big time.

Anyone know will Gortnahoe-Glengoole v Borrisokane be played with the semis the weekend in semple? Would make great common sense
    I heard the intermediate is on in Templemore the weekend. I'm not sure what day though, probably Sunday with it been a final.

I know a few of the Borrisokane lads so hopefully they win it after losing the North final a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

tom thum wrote: »
    yeah. hes a humble man, in fairness. i hope now, tht they take their time in picking new manager, but id like to see an ex tipp player that hasnt retired long. because they will have the respect of the players. and i suppose it needs to start there to have a winning combination.

I've mixed views on that. The scenario you mention above would be ideal but what sometimes happens is that the guy struggles for respect because he has played with some of the team who still see him as a player rather then the boss.

Tommy done took 12 years of county hurling to win what its taken Maher/McGrath/Stapleton etc 2 years to do, it might not be the easiest thing for him to land in Sheedy shoes and tell the young lads whats what. Sheedy took over rabble which is often esier then taking over a champion team.

Dunne was a fine player and I've heard good things of him in the minor setup. I'd wish him all the best and support him 100% if he got the job but personally I'd go for someone with a bit more experience because more then anything we need to follow up this season with a better one next year.

I've mixed views on that. The scenario you mention above would be ideal but what sometimes happens is that the guy struggles for respect because he has played with some of the team who still see him as a player rather then the boss.

Tommy done took 12 years of county hurling to win what its taken Maher/McGrath/Stapleton etc 2 years to do, it might not be the easiest thing for him to land in Sheedy shoes and tell the young lads whats what. Sheedy took over rabble which is often esier then taking over a champion team.

Dunne was a fine player and I've heard good things of him in the minor setup. I'd wish him all the best and support him 100% if he got the job but personally I'd go for someone with a bit more experience because more then anything we need to follow up this season with a better one next year.

Im more angling towards Dinny Cahill myself. I think its high time he was given a crack at it. He seems to have been well received in Antrim but ultimately its not just the manager that's important, its the whole management team.
    Phat you may have a point with Tommy Dunne though Eoin, Larry, Paul Curran, etc would have respected him as a senior player and a leader so it might also be worth the gamble and he has a talented group of u21s which he is just after winning an u21 with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Im more angling towards Dinny Cahill myself. I think its high time he was given a crack at it. He seems to have been well received in Antrim but ultimately its not just the manager that's important, its the whole management team.
    Phat you may have a point with Tommy Dunne though Eoin, Larry, Paul Curran, etc would have respected him as a senior player and a leader so it might also be worth the gamble and he has a talented group of u21s which he is just after winning an u21 with.

True enough tG but I'd rather we won a few more all irelands before we take any gambles. I hadn't even thought about Cahill to be honest. He's been a bit of a slow burner in management but he fits the profile alright.

looder wrote: »
    I heard the intermediate is on in Templemore the weekend. I'm not sure what day though, probably Sunday with it been a final.
    What a bunch of greedy dumb-dumbs the county board are. seriously i would have loved to have seen all 3 games. :mad:

Richie Stakelum the latest to rule himself out. Another good coach who slipped my mind but thats irrelevant now it seems.
    if only we could clone Sheedy, Ryan and O'shea.
    Is horrible they are going but understandable. its a feeling you'd only get from a relationship breakup but hopefully its not the end but a new beginning for this Tipp team.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

County Senior Hurling Championship Semi - Final

Clonoulty/Rossmore V Kildangan
    Time: 2 30 PM , Venue: Semple Stadium, Thurles
    Referee: Willie Clohessy

Thurles Sarsfields V Toomevara
    Time: 4 00 PM , Venue: Semple Stadium, Thurles
    Referee: Seamus Roche

Leroy Lita wrote: »
    County Senior Hurling Championship Semi - Final

Clonoulty/Rossmore V Kildangan
    Time: 2 30 PM , Venue: Semple Stadium, Thurles
    Referee: Willie Clohessy

Thurles Sarsfields V Toomevara
    Time: 4 00 PM , Venue: Semple Stadium, Thurles
    Referee: Seamus Roche
    Past results this year indicate that Clon have it easy but I've a feeling Kildangan ain't as bad as has been made out previously. I'm going to go for the North one in this game. I can't really explain why but I've a feeling that all the hype around Clon won't suit them.

Sars for me inn the second game. On paper, they are probably in the top 3 teams in the country alongside Portumna and Ballyhale. A foolish statement it may look Sunday evening however as Toom love the stadium and have the experience and talent to beat Sars so it'll be a humdinger of a game.

I was looking forward to seen these games Sunday but something has come up which mean I'll be up the country for the weekend.

Does anyone know whether there is a match tracker for these games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Any word from Semple lads?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

County SHC S-Final RESULT - Clonoulty-Rossmore 1-19 Kildangan 1-16

And currently its,

County SHC S-Final HT Score - Thurles Sarsfields 0-9 Toomevara 0-8

any news on the second match lads? toom and sars?? and when will the final be on?

result : sars and clonoulty in the final.

tom thum wrote: »
    result : sars and clonoulty in the final.

Apparently Pa Bourke scored a goal with a last gasp 20metre free.

Cometh the hour, cometh the Pa! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Apparently Pa Bourke scored a goal with a last gasp 20metre free.

Cometh the hour, cometh the Pa! :D
    Pa toook it well ok but he had a poor game overall imo.

tippspur wrote: »
    Pa toook it well ok but he had a poor game overall imo.

still in fairness he made an impact v galway and now for sars so its a good sign he is a man to have around for squeaky bum time

still in fairness he made an impact v galway and now for sars so its a good sign he is a man to have around for squeaky bum time
    Without doubt he has great potential and I would love to see him full fill it for Tipp.

tippspur wrote: »
    Without doubt he has great potential and I would love to see him full fill it for Tipp.

Babs set him back a bit the way he threw him in in 2007 and Tommy Stapleton too. Of course Pa has had glandular fever this year

Rumours Nicky will come back. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Heard it a while back alright Tippgunnar. Not too sure what to make of it.

Look what happened when Babs came back. It would be a shame if something similar happened with Nicky.

The main problem I have with his appointment would be that he's living and working in Dublin so he would see very little club hurling in Tipp. For that reason, I would love someone like Declan Ryan to take charge.

There's not actually many people around still in the running. Dinny Cahill is a name still been bandied about and although he is one of the best trainers I've ever trained under, I don't know whether he'd be good enough for the Tipp senior team.

Look what happened when Babs came back. It would be a shame if something similar happened with Nicky.

The main problem I have with his appointment would be that he's living and working in Dublin so he would see very little club hurling in Tipp. For that reason, I would love someone like Declan Ryan to take charge.

There's not actually many people around still in the running. Dinny Cahill is a name still been bandied about and although he is one of the best trainers I've ever trained under, I don't know whether he'd be good enough for the Tipp senior team.

i totally agree the highlighted above but wouldn't really compare Nicky to Babs as Babs has has since proven he is an ego maniac regardless of previous success Tipperary have had, and besides first time round Babs inherited a good panel who won things at u21 and minor in the early 80s.

It could go wrong with Nicky English but when Nicky resigned in 2002 some of the senior players like Eoin and Cummins who are still there, asked him to stay on which is a good sign of their respect for him.

Cahill has credentials but its a massive job. Id prefer Cahill to for example John McIntyre if it was a choice between the 2.

i think alot of Galways problem is belief and McIntyre doesn't inspire that imo.

He is still expressing his 2009 devastation with Galway let alone this years which wouldn't be good for an upcoming team like Tipp on the back of an All Ireland whereas the first thing Liam Sheedy done this year, is to try and put 2009 out of their minds and look ahead.

Dinny on the other hand is not short of commitment as he has proven in his Antrim days

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

i'd have a bit of a preference for declan ryan/tommy dunne combo i think.

lots of respect for Nicky, but he is out of the game a long time now, and he might take a lot of the limelight liam seemed to shun!

just my thoughts!

Nickey God and Tommy Dunne would be my dream team.

• Advertisement

Looks like no Nicky
    Hoganstand

29 October 2010

Nicky English has ruled himself out of the running to succeed Liam Sheedy as Tipperary hurling manager.

English, who previously managed Tipp for four years between 1999 and 2002, winning an All-Ireland title in 2001, emerged as the frontrunner for the position earlier this week, but just back from holidays, he has confirmed that he will not be returning to the role.

The former star full forward has cited the difficulty in balancing the commitment required in managing a high-profile team like Tipperary coupled with his obligations to his employers AIB in Dublin.

"It's an honour for me at any time to be associated with the Tipperary job, and I was anxious to give the possibility of considering the position serious consideration," he said in The Irish Times.

"But having done that, I can't see any way to reconcile the demands of managing the All-Ireland champions and putting in the considerable time necessary with the required commitment to my job and my employers, particularly at this time."

Ken Hogan, who managed the Premier County to an All-Ireland under 21 title this year and also previously managed the senior side, has also ruled himself out of the running to manage the Liam McCarthy Cup holders.

Advertisement