Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

Options

Comments

Was there any students overcharged for that game last night? i was under the understanding directly from the gaa that they would issue a rebate of the difference if i presented my student card at stile. the stile told me inside. then we were told stile 53. we went to 53 and there was a young chap in a similar boat wasn't having any joy. i argued with about 3 stiles which fobbed me off to the next. a shower of bastards that gaa after i attending all bar one of tipp hurling games, all u21 games, 3 football games and that's what i have to put up with at the end of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Was there any students overcharged for that game last night? i was under the understanding directly from the gaa that they would issue a rebate of the difference if i presented my student card at stile. the stile told me inside. then we were told stile 53. we went to 53 and there was a young chap in a similar boat wasn't having any joy. i argued with about 3 stiles which fobbed me off to the next. a shower of bastards that gaa after i attending all bar one of tipp hurling games, all u21 games, 3 football games and that's what i have to put up with at the end of it all
    I stopped trying to get the rebate off the GAA back in 2005/2006 (Whatever year Galway beat us!) They told me they wouldn't accept a WIT card as there was no expiry date on it or some ****e like that. I gave up asking for a rebate after that at big games.

There was no problem getting into Portlaoise for the 1st round of the football league with the student card. That was a cold fecking night I tell ya!!

looder wrote: »
    I stopped trying to get the rebate off the GAA back in 2005/2006 (Whatever year Galway beat us!) They told me they wouldn't accept a WIT card as there was no expiry date on it or some ****e like that. I gave up asking for a rebate after that at big games.

There was no problem getting into Portlaoise for the 1st round of the football league with the student card. That was a cold fecking night I tell ya!!

i wasnt turned down as much as fobbed off. pure f**king disgrace! granted i was only overcharged a tenner but so were alot of people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

tis brilliant. im sitting inmy sitting room right now in county waterford, and across the road in the pub, the band are playing Slievenamon. excellent.

i went to the south final this year in fethard. it said €8 for an adult. so myself , the woman and the daughter ( shes not 2 yet ) rambled up to the gate and i gave ur man €20, expecting to get €4 change. he turns and says , ok thats grand. and waved me on. the c%&t charged me for the little one. i was wicked vexed for about an hour after that and then the swan won. but , reading tipp gunners post there just reminded me of it.

• Advertisement

tom thum wrote: »
    i went to the south final this year in fethard. it said €8 for an adult. so myself , the woman and the daughter ( shes not 2 yet ) rambled up to the gate and i gave ur man €20, expecting to get €4 change. he turns and says , ok thats grand. and waved me on. the c%&t charged me for the little one. i was wicked vexed for about an hour after that and then the swan won. but , reading tipp gunners post there just reminded me of it.

they are *****ng bastards! there should be a law that children under...i dunno..10 for example should get in free and up to 14 be charged 3 euro max. then until they finish college and start working 5 euro. robbing b*stards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

I was at the same south final and it was €10 for an adult not €8 did I go in the wrong gate? :D

It was definitely 10 because my other half just handed over a 20 and kept going. The 2 kids were free in, just as well because my son spent more time chatting up girls than he did watching the match ;)

As far as I know, it's the first week in October (that's according to the County board anyway) - It's the quarter, not the semi. We won't know the opposition until the week before.

I paid €15 for the terrace alright last night. Don't know where I got the idea that it was €10 out of. Both stands were fairly full and the terrace had a fair number of people in it too. The attendance of 21,100 seemed a little low for what was there i think. I would have said closer to 25,000 myself. It was over as a contest after 15 minutes. I'm delighted we didn't ease off and win by just 8 or 9 points. We showed no compassion whatsoever to them. Bonnar was my man of the match. He worked his socks off.

Shane McGrath is some character lads. The craic he was at with the sliothars was unreal, not to mention the jump after he won it. Legend.

This week in Thurles: Seamus O Riain Cup double header under lights Monday and Tuesday.

Seamus O'Riain Cup; Round 2

Templederry Kenyons Vs Portroe
    in Semple Stadium on Mon 13-Sep @6-30pm

Nenagh Eire Óg Vs Lorrha/Dorrha in Semple Stadium on Mon 13-Sep @8pm

Loughmore vs Cashel in Semple Stadium on Tues 14-Sep @ 6-30pm

Kilruane MacDonaghs Vs Roscrea in Semple Stadium on Tues 14-Sep @8pm

I'll go with:
    *Templederry (although I've a soft spot for Dinny 'the hand' Hogans Portrow (as we pronounce it here in the South)
    *Nenagh
    *Loughmore by 10 points+
    *The men from Clughjordan, Kilruaine

The North and Mid finals are on next Sunday. Toome vs Borris up North with Sars playing Drom in the Mid - Not sure of times or venues but presume it'll be Nenagh up North and the Stadium for the Mid.

1st round of the County championship is also been played next weekend.
    This is the draw for it:
    County Championship draw

Killenaule v Upperchurch Drombane

Carrick Davins v Galtee/Treacys
    (could be off as rumours flying around the Combo are pulling out)

Kildangan v Éire Óg Anacarty

Burgess v Holycross Ballycahill

North Runners Up v Knockavilla Kickhams

Mullinahone v Mid Runners Up

The way it'll work is this:
    Round 1: 12 teams (losing divisional semi-finalists + losing divisional finalists each division): 6 games

Round 2: (8 teams (6 Winners Round 1 + 2 Seamus O'Riain Cup Finalists); 4 games

Quarter Finals: 8 teams (4 Divisional Winners [Clonoulty + Carrick Swans so far Vs 4 Winners Round 2); 4 games

Semi Final:

Final :

Final has to be played by Sunday October 17th as far as I know as Tipp need to have a team in the Munster club championship.

We've a pretty complicated system here in Tipp!!- We should probably try and reduce the number of Senior teams as they're just too many up at the moment but that's a story for a whole other day.

I'm going heading upto the Stadium myself Monday night I'd say to have a look. Should be two good games. Nenagh vs Lorrha is a bit of a derby and should be a cracker.

Just back from Thurles. Two poor games tonight.

Templederry beat Portroe by 12 points 2-24 to 2-12

Nenagh beat Lorrha by 4-19 to 0-04

Scoring only 4 points in senior hurling is shocking!!!

Conditions were terrible for hurling but christ there was no intensity in any of the two games. People talk about how "great" north hurling is but if this is the standard up there, they're at nothing. Portroe were in a North final 12 months ago.

If Loughmore and Nenagh avoid each other in the semi's, both will advance back into the championship in my opinion. Templederry were pretty poor even though they won by 12 points. Nenagh in fairness looked lively from the off and could trouble a few teams in the business end of the "A" championship. Mikey Heffernan got a great score after about 20 minutes for Nenagh.

Shane McGrath is some character lads. The craic he was at with the sliothars was unreal, not to mention the jump after he won it. Legend.

Shane is absolutely brilliant. hes hillarious. he was on 'c'mon caman' last year and the antics were brilliant. he was doing these mad celebarions in front of the camera and he was on about eoin larkins team and that he'd have his own team drilled on the Kilkenny roughhouse tactics (jokingly of course ;)) Same in Mullinahone the other night he done a sort of Pat Shortt/Effin Eddie accent while addressing the crowd. Jesus if he was your teacher you'd have a ball. Who'd want to go home at all in the evening eh!

EDIT: Can you imagine him and Joe Hayes get together, especially on 'Up for the match' in the future?

Just back from Thurles. Two poor games tonight.

Templederry beat Portroe by 12 points 2-24 to 2-12

Nenagh beat Lorrha by 4-19 to 0-04

Scoring only 4 points in senior hurling is shocking!!!

Conditions were terrible for hurling but christ there was no intensity in any of the two games. People talk about how "great" north hurling is but if this is the standard up there, they're at nothing. Portroe were in a North final 12 months ago.

If Loughmore and Nenagh avoid each other in the semi's, both will advance back into the championship in my opinion. Templederry were pretty poor even though they won by 12 points. Nenagh in fairness looked lively from the off and could trouble a few teams in the business end of the "A" championship. Mikey Heffernan got a great score after about 20 minutes for Nenagh.

Shocking from Lorrha. Was the Bonnar playing? Fair play to Heffernan for turning out for the club when by all means he should be out getting locked

julyjane wrote: »
    The 2 kids were free in, just as well because my son spent more time chatting up girls than he did watching the match ;)

Has to be done too ;)

• Advertisement

Shane is absolutely brilliant. hes hillarious. he was on 'c'mon caman' last year and the antics were brilliant. he was doing these mad celebarions in front of the camera and he was on about eoin larkins team and that he'd have his own team drilled on the Kilkenny roughhouse tactics (jokingly of course ;)) Same in Mullinahone the other night he done a sort of Pat Shortt/Effin Eddie accent while addressing the crowd. Jesus if he was your teacher you'd have a ball. Who'd want to go home at all in the evening eh!

EDIT: Can you imagine him and Joe Hayes get together, especially on 'Up for the match' in the future?

Shocking from Lorrha. Was the Bonnar playing? Fair play to Heffernan for turning out for the club when by all means he should be out getting locked
    The Bonnar was playing alright but the chap looked wrecked after all the hurling he's after doing the past few weeks. I presumed it was beer but one of the lads near me who'd know him from underage teams said he doesn't drink at all.

That Shane McGrath clip is up on Youtube. He's gas!

Oh by the way what do ye think of Larry getting stopped going into Semple? What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

:rolleyes:
    so far this year:
    Port bet Moycarkey
    Lorrha bet Ballybacon (god Ballybacon must be fukcing useless)
    Templederry bet Ballingarry
    Nenagh bet Golden
    Roscrea bet Cappawhite
    Kilruane bet Boherlahen

the only North team to lose to a team from another division was when Moneygall lost to Loughmore.

while Kildangan, Burgess (maybe) and the north runners up should beat Annacarthy, Holycross and Knockavilla.

if the north are ''at nothing'' then god help those in the west, south and mid (although the mid and north are at a pretty even standard)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Oh by the way what do ye think of Larry getting stopped going into Semple? What a joke.
    I heard about that,whoever stopped him going in is a pure asshole.:mad:

julyjane wrote: »
    I was at the same south final and it was €10 for an adult not €8 did I go in the wrong gate? :D

It was definitely 10 because my other half just handed over a 20 and kept going. The 2 kids were free in, just as well because my son spent more time chatting up girls than he did watching the match ;)
    im 99% sure it said 8 euro on the sign going in.:confused:

Leroy Lita wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    so far this year:
    Port bet Moycarkey
    Lorrha bet Ballybacon (god Ballybacon must be fukcing useless)
    Templederry bet Ballingarry
    Nenagh bet Golden
    Roscrea bet Cappawhite
    Kilruane bet Boherlahen

the only North team to lose to a team from another division was when Moneygall lost to Loughmore.

while Kildangan, Burgess (maybe) and the north runners up should beat Annacarthy, Holycross and Knockavilla.

if the north are ''at nothing'' then god help those in the west, south and mid (although the mid and north are at a pretty even standard)

:rolleyes: right back at ya.

I was commenting on the standard of last nights games and the perceived skill of North hurling games.
    If you want to get nit-picky:
    Sure Moycarkey only went senior through a boardroom.
    Ballybacon are that bad, yet a North team were lucky to beat them.
    Didn't it take a last minute goal for Templederry to beat a Ballingary side who had one of their poorest championships in many a year.
    Golden are possibly the worst team to ever hurl senior. Again, came through the boardroom.
    Cappa are apparently having a bad season but I won't let that be an excuse. Roscrea are a handy side.
    Kilruaine on paper are a savage team, yet the bottle it every year. Roscrea beat them easily tonight in the stadium.

What I'm really trying to get at is not all North teams are good hurling teams yet people from North Tipp reckon there's no hurling past Cashel!

The Mid is by far the superior division in Tipperary hurling at the moment. Take Toome out of the North and no club would fear playing any of the rest of them.

Yes there is good teams up North, for example Kiladangan, Nenagh (when they pull together - but unfortunately seem to be like a lot of town teams and blow hot and cold for one reason or another), Borris , and Toom.

Lorrha, Roscrea, Templederry, Portroe, Kilruaine (although I reckon these could push on in a year or two), and Burgess are all very average senior hurling teams, yet you'd think that these would beat Ballyhale Shamrocks with the way some people talk about them, just because they're a North team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

tom thum wrote: »
    im 99% sure it said 8 euro on the sign going in.:confused:

Maybe I'm confusing it with another match but I thought it said Adults 10 euro students 6 euro :confused:

I don't care I didn't pay anyway :D

Are Tipp going to change the shirt next year? These are the shorts advertised. wonder will they produce a top to match?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Spotted on the road between Riverstown and Portumna - fair bit of work in it :)

4999098994_6df463587e_z.jpg
    DSC_3711 by Crowded_House, on Flickr

4999099260_e07d4342d4_z.jpg
    DSC_3714 by Crowded_House, on Flickr

Seven Worlds will Collide

Some weekend of GAA ahead.

Today (SATURDAY)

County Senior Hurling Championship Round (1)Round (1)

Carrick Davins V Galtee/Treacys

Time: 3 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Boherlahan

Referee: Denis Curtis

Davins by 4 pooints - Combo not training together apparently

Time: 4 30 PM : Cill Naile V Upperchurch-Drombane - Note the Irish on TIpp GAA for Killenaule:D

(E.T. Available) , Venue: Boherlahan

Referee: Ger Fitzpatrick

This could be a close one I reckon. Upperchurch not going as good as they were last year while Killenaule were beaten in a second South final in a row. Killenaule have Bertie Sherlock training them now so you'd think they'd be going well, but I've heard from a few of their players that they are not fans of him up there. Upperchurch have TJ Connolly training them who will know a lot about Killenaule from his time with Carrick Swans. For this reason, and the fact that Bubbles O Dwyer was apparently injured the other night in the abandoned football game, I'm going to go with the 'church in this one by 3 points. I'm hoping to make this game after work, I'll give the rundown later on. I'll probably miss the first game though.

SUNDAY:

Kildangan V Éire Óg Anacarty/Donohill

Time: 12 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Holycross

Referee: Keith Delahunty
    I'm going to go with Kildangan in this one. Eire og have beaten Mullinahone in a recent challenge game, but I'm not sure what to read into this as Mul were missing Paul and Seanie Curran and Eoin Kelly with Eire Og missing Foxy O Brien. I reckon Kildangan by 5 points

Burgess V Holycross/Ballycahill

Time: 5 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Borrisoleigh

Referee: Sean Bradshaw

I'll be honest I don't know much about both teams. Holycross are suppose to be going better this year than in previous years. Burgess are probably favourites but I'm a fan of the underdog myself so I'm going to go for Holycross.

Divisional Finals
    Today:
    North Tipp Senior Hurling Championship FINALFINAL

Borris-Ileigh V Toomevara

Time: 5 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: MacDonagh Park , Broadcast on Matchtracker on www.north.tipperary.gaa.ie

Referee: Tommy Ryan

I'm going to go with Toom in this. they seem hungry this year and reckon they'll win by 5 or 6 points.

SUNDAY:

Mid Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship FinalFinal

Drom-Inch V Na Sáirséalaigh-Dúrlas Éile/Thurles Sarsfields

Time: 1 30 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Templemore

Referee: Tom Mc Grath

Sars for me. Drom started the year poorly but have come good as the championship went on. I still reckon Sars will have too much and will win by 5 or 6 points, unless of course their u21's have been over-celebrating.

Seamus O Riain:

SUNDAY
    Seamus O Riain Cup Semi -Final

Nenagh Éire Óg V Templederry Kenyons

Time: 5 00 PM (E.T. Available) , Venue: Dolla

Referee: Noel Cosgrove

I seen both these play last week and I reckon Nenagh will win this by 7 or 8 points at least to be honest. They really blew Lorrha out of the water. Eanna Ryan (I think - corner forward, was best for Templederry last Monday.

When is the other Seamus O Riain on?

• Advertisement

The Combo beat the Davins. 1-13 to 1-09. Only seen last 5 minutes so can't comment. Apparently Davins were very poor, yet could have won it. They hit the bar with 2 minutes to go.

Upperchurch were beating Killenaule 1-19 to 0-09 when I was coming away out of it with 2 minutes left on the clock.
    Festy not on panel. Apparently he told the club he isn't hurling until his injuries clear up fully. He has 6 months for them to clear up now as Killenaule are gone. Although scoreline looks terrible, Killenaule kept going for goals in the 1st half when they should have been putting the ball over the bar. The 'Church full back line was immense and played James Barry as a sweeper in front of them to great effect. As I said earlier, TJ would know exactly how to beat Killenaule and he seemed to implement a very successful plan today.

Toom won the North. 1-12 to 0-12 too.

Sars won the Minor "A" final. 0-27 to 2-12 against Nenagh. Aidan McCormack scoring 0-19 (0-13 from play). He's definitely one to keep an eye on in the future.

The other Seamus O Riain match that I didn't have the fixture for 2moro is Loughmore vs Roscrea in Toom at 5-00pm.

The Combo beat the Davins. 1-13 to 1-09. Only seen last 5 minutes so can't comment. Apparently Davins were very poor, yet could have won it. They hit the bar with 2 minutes to go.

Upperchurch were beating Killenaule 1-19 to 0-09 when I was coming away out of it with 2 minutes left on the clock.
    Festy not on panel. Apparently he told the club he isn't hurling until his injuries clear up fully. He has 6 months for them to clear up now as Killenaule are gone. Although scoreline looks terrible, Killenaule kept going for goals in the 1st half when they should have been putting the ball over the bar. The 'Church full back line was immense and played James Barry as a sweeper in front of them to great effect. As I said earlier, TJ would know exactly how to beat Killenaule and he seemed to implement a very successful plan today.

Toom won the North. 1-12 to 0-12 too.

Sars won the Minor "A" final. 0-27 to 2-12 against Nenagh.

The other Seamus O Riain match that I didn't have the fixture for 2moro is Loughmore vs Roscrea in Toom at 5-00pm.

That's an astonishing manner of defeat suffered by Killenaule. Apart from Swan and Mullinahone is that all the south teams gone?

EDIT: Upperchurch a good upcoming team? How did Jody Brennan or Paudie Green play for them?

That's an astonishing manner of defeat suffered by Killenaule. Apart from Swan and Mullinahone is that all the south teams gone?

EDIT: Upperchurch a good upcoming team? How did Jody Brennan or Paudie Green play for them?
    Yep it sure is. Mullinahone could very well follow Killenaule out of the championship next Thursday as they have to play the Mid finalists.

It wasn't as bad as the scoreline suggests. There was only 2 points in it at half time. 0-09 to 0-07. Killenaule kept pucking long into the full back line of Upperchurch trying to get goals. They put Fanning up there and he won feck all. Bubbles didn't catch a ball all day. Mouse Dwyer tried hard but had one or two bad wides. Micky Farrell wasn't his usual self either.

It's been a bad year for Killenaule this year, they've had their problems with trainers and stuff so I'd put it down to a once off. You know there's something wrong when a Killenaule player turns around to you as you're walking down the line to go home with 5 miutes to go and says, "we're shocking! This is what ye should have beaten us by a few weeks ago." I was shocked myself to hear that statement but just shows the problems they've been having up there this year.

Yea Upperchurch are a good young team. In my opinion, they'll win something soon enough if they keep TJ in charge. Without a shadow of a doubt, the best manager/trainer I've ever played under.

Jody got a few nice points. One of them was Eoin Kelly-esque (over the shoulder from 40 yards - great score). He started half forward.

I'm didn't take too much notice of Greene to be honest. He started corner forward and nearly got a goal by blocking down O'Donnell but he was injured for about 15 minutes in the second half before coming off. It was a leg injury.

Yep it sure is. Mullinahone could very well follow Killenaule out of the championship next Thursday as they have to play the Mid finalists.

It wasn't as bad as the scoreline suggests. There was only 2 points in it at half time. 0-09 to 0-07. Killenaule kept pucking long into the full back line of Upperchurch trying to get goals. They put Fanning up there and he won feck all. Bubbles didn't catch a ball all day. Mouse Dwyer tried hard but had one or two bad wides. Micky Farrell wasn't his usual self either.

It's been a bad year for Killenaule this year, they've had their problems with trainers and stuff so I'd put it down to a once off. You know there's something wrong when a Killenaule player turns around to you as you're walking down the line to go home with 5 miutes to go and says, "we're shocking! This is what ye should have beaten us by a few weeks ago." I was shocked myself to hear that statement but just shows the problems they've been having up there this year.

On paper Killenaule are an awesome side. You'd think there is definitely a county in them. Bubbles was attacked during a football game the other night? its disgraceful after he winning an all ireland u21.

On paper Killenaule are an awesome side. You'd think there is definitely a county in them. Bubbles was attacked during a football game the other night? its disgraceful after he winning an all ireland u21.
    Ah I dunno about a County. Maybe three or four years ago but the loss of the two Bergins (One in the states, one playing with Moycarkey - or was before his injury), Joe Ceaser who's in Oz as well as having two or three on the County football team doesn't help them one bit. They're still a good side and if they can stop the in-house fighting and problems with coaches they'll be back to their best next year.

Yea apparently he got a clatter and had a suspected broken jaw which thankfully proved not to be true in the abandoned Clonmel Commercials and Killenaule football game the other night. See here: http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/south-tipp-board-feelheat-after-latest-brawl-2341167.html

I heard there could be some legal action so I wouldn't be naming any names of the supporter that was apparently involved in it all if anybody knows who it was.

this is the Tipperary/Kilkenny border on all ireland final week

HPIM1633.jpg?t=1284852259

Ah I dunno about a County. Maybe three or four years ago but the loss of the two Bergins (One in the states, one playing with Moycarkey - or was before his injury), Joe Ceaser who's in Oz as well as having two or three on the County football team doesn't help them one bit.

Killenaule have won alot of south's in their history yet no county which is unbelievable.
    they have had a problem with emigration alright. Joe is in Oz as you said and Keith Kennedy in London, Kieran Bergin in the USA. 3 serious hurlers and of course the other young Bergin in Moycarkey. Festy has been injured so in one way its a tall order.

Sars won the Mid by 2 points. Thurles Sar's 1-16 Drom 2-11

Kiladangan beat Eire Og by 4 points. Kildangan 3-13 Eire Og 1-15
    The men from the west deserved to win this one apparently.

I think I heard Burgess beat Holycross but I'm not 100% on that.

In the SOR cup. Loughmore beat Roscrea on a scoreline of 3-13 to 2-13. Noel McGrath was outstanding I heard.

Also Nenagh easily beat Templederry. 0-25 to 1-06 ... 25 points is great scoring but 1-06 is ****e at this stage of the championship.

Fixtures for this week are:

Mullinahone vs Drom
    Knockavilla vs Borris

Both in the Stadium Thursday night under lights. I'm presuming one will be 6-30 and one will be 8pm.

I reckon Mul vs Drom will be a really close game and I hope the men from the South edge it after Killenaule's dismal display last Saturday. However, my head says Drom will be like a wounded animal and will come out on top by 2 or 3 points.

Borris will beat the hockers easily I'd say.

After this week it means the 4 teams qualified for the quarters are Clonoulty/Rossmore, Carrick Swans, Toom, Sars

In the hat for Round 2 of the County series (last 12) are the winners of
    Mullinahone vs Drom and Knockavilla vs Borris
    along with Kiladangan, Nenagh, Loughmore, Upperchurch, Galtee/Treacy's Combo, and Burgess.

The draw for these games will take place either Monday night at the County Board meeting or Thurs after the games in the Stadium. Everyone will want to draw the Combo I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Close, but the county border is the next bridge, but that's painted too in similar fashion:)

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    Close, but the county border is the next bridge, but that's painted too in similar fashion:)

your right. How embarrassing! :o

Advertisement