Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedians that suck

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Living Few

my list, I'm sure the world is dying to know lol

1. Sarah Silverman ( a complete c*nt)
    2. Brendan O' Carroll (what a tosser) * oh by the way, yes a man dressed as a woman can be funny...EDDIE IZZARD PERHAPS?
    3. Dave McSavage (a*se hole if ever there was one)
    4. Land lord dude (time gentelman was only good to watch for the little australian girl and your man from the blur video)
    5. Alan Carr a.k.a, look at me everyone, being gay is funny (what a f*cking vagina)
    6. That girl on the paramount ads who sprays perfume up her skirt (she is probably the least talented person that has every existed with exception to Davina McCaul)
    7. Everyone who is on RTE's the panel. What a shower of d*ck smugglers)
    8. Anything by Tommy Tiernan that isn't his first dvd.

That's all i can think of, here's my top 5

1. Eddie Izzard
    2. Bill Hicks
    3. Mitch Hedberg
    4. Dom Irera
    5. Demetri Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Was watching Ricky Gervais interview Larry David over the weekend, and i found it hilarious when they were slagging off comedians who go on talk shows and answer questions by shoehorning in parts of their act!!
    That pretty much covers all Irish comedians who have been on the LLS etc!!
    Especially you Tiernan!!!

They are right though it does make poor tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

This is a great thread, it's called "comedians that suck", and people are getting wound up about the "negativity". So on a positive note, I think in his prime, Tommy Tiernan was the best comedian on the Irish scene. I seen him live in Vicar St in his early days, and I ached the whole day after. But he's lost the plot. The worst comedian, ever, has to be that rampant twat Jason Byrne. How the f*ck does this guy get on telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

ANDREW MAXWELL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Eddie Izzard.

Most overrated comedian of all time.

He mutters his whole way true his act and laughs at his own jokes.

Twat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Adzee

Lee Evans - He sweats that is his entire act and stay in one ****ing spot you moron !

Tommy Tiernan - OMG LOL sex ! woo hoo thats not funny :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Adzee wrote: »
    Lee Evans - He sweats that is his entire act and stay in one ****ing spot you moron !

Tommy Tiernan - OMG LOL sex ! woo hoo thats not funny :mad:

I think the two of them are very similar arent they? It's more so become an energy show than a "comedy" show.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

Dane ****ing Cook would be one.Lee Evans is another ass.Why are the dumbest ****test comedians the most popular?It really reinforces that 'people are stupid' way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Eddie Izzard.

Most overrated comedian of all time.

He mutters his whole way true his act and laughs at his own jokes.

Twat.
    Boo-urns my good man, boo-urns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

ANDREW MAXWELL.

One of the worst. His arrogance just highlights his sh1tness. How many North-South Dublin jokes can one man make without being funny once???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

Tommy tiernan how anyone finds him funny is beyond me anyone can shout and roar and make stupid noises what a tosser.Lee evans most un funny man on the planet.Andrew maxwell MAN.Does he have to say man after every sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Went to see Simon Amstell on Friday in Vicar st. and wasn't impressed at all to be honest.

Maybe he will get better over time but most of his jokes I just didnt find funny.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Went to see Simon Amstell on Friday in Vicar st. and wasn't impressed at all to be honest.

Maybe he will get better over time but most of his jokes I just didnt find funny.
    he didn't tell any jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Rhys Darby (Murray from FOTC). His live stand up dvd is an abomination, "I am a robot ~ 'ooooh beep beep zoink beep' now I'm a spaceship ' beep beep doo da doink zoink beep' "

Garbage, just garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I'm not sure why people get so irate about comedians.

It's impossible to judge an act until you have seen them live. You can't judge how good or bad a stand-up comedian Jason Byrne is basing your opinion solely on his television output.

I've seen acts described on here who rip it up every time they play. Andrew Maxwell for one - he's an amzing live performer. Jason Byrne sells out a 1,000 seater theatre 30 nights in a row in Edinburgh. Maybe his humour just doesn't suit you.

There will always be those who just don't get someone else's humour - but why be so vehement in your hatred of them. Why take it to heart?

Comedy is subjective (possibly one of the most subjective art forms) and what makes one person laugh may not make you laugh - that does not make them suck - it just means that the act in question don't suit you.

In fact - why not have a "I've seen them and I didn't think they were funny thread" followed by an actual review of the gig rather than a "he was ****" comment.

ciaran76 wrote: »

Saw him on Saturday. Saw him last year as well and this year's show was the exact same, word for word, minus the pretentious "I'm recording this for my DVD for my career, so I need to start the joke again" bullshít I was forced to endure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

Saw him on Saturday. Saw him last year as well and this year's show was the exact same, word for word, minus the pretentious "I'm recording this for my DVD for my career, so I need to start the joke again" bullshít I was forced to endure.

With you on that one. I went with my girlfriend last year cos I thought he'd be good from his Never Mind The Buzzcocks stuff but alas I didn't laugh once although his support last year was great.

Dragged again this year to find him doing the exact same stuff, word for word (I'm a bit of a stand-up &nI know it's hard to come up with new stuff but he didn't have one new line & it's been a year!) & boy was he all over the shop.

I went on the Friday night and he forgot loadsa stuff, placed jokes out of context and referenced jokes that he forgot to make then went back & did them. Kept repeating bits that he messed up. Not only did he lose a fan but he made and enemy! Never again!

With you on that one. I went with my girlfriend last year cos I thought he'd be good from his Never Mind The Buzzcocks stuff but alas I didn't laugh once although his support last year was great.

Dragged again this year to find him doing the exact same stuff, word for word (I'm a bit of a stand-up &nI know it's hard to come up with new stuff but he didn't have one new line & it's been a year!) & boy was he all over the shop.

I went on the Friday night and he forgot loadsa stuff, placed jokes out of context and referenced jokes that he forgot to make then went back & did them. Kept repeating bits that he messed up. Not only did he lose a fan but he made and enemy! Never again!

Yeah I even said to my girlfriend after that it was the sort of gig that you'd almost be invited to because it was all about him and not about the crowd. It was such a waste of money and I probably won't go and see him again, as I really felt scammed. If there was ever a case to ensure comedians tours have names on them, this was it.

He was actually quite rude to the audience as well. Banter and slagging is fair game, but slagging off crowd members when they left for the toilet and after they leaving shouting at the ushers to not let them back in, and screaming at the crowd for laughing in the wrong part of the joke, because it would look bad on his DVD, which was for "HIS CAREER" as he kept shouting at us.

No interest in seeing him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people get so irate about comedians.

It's impossible to judge an act until you have seen them live. You can't judge how good or bad a stand-up comedian Jason Byrne is basing your opinion solely on his television output.

I've seen acts described on here who rip it up every time they play. Andrew Maxwell for one - he's an amzing live performer. Jason Byrne sells out a 1,000 seater theatre 30 nights in a row in Edinburgh. Maybe his humour just doesn't suit you.

There will always be those who just don't get someone else's humour - but why be so vehement in your hatred of them. Why take it to heart?

Comedy is subjective (possibly one of the most subjective art forms) and what makes one person laugh may not make you laugh - that does not make them suck - it just means that the act in question don't suit you.

In fact - why not have a "I've seen them and I didn't think they were funny thread" followed by an actual review of the gig rather than a "he was ****" comment.

You're wrong, for example most people here would have seen Jason Byrne's routine on tv and his various presenting gigs and would get a fair idea from that how his live show is going to be, seeing him live is hardly going to be a huge departure from the stuff we've seen him do on tv. You don't have to experience something first hand to know that it's going to be sh1t.

It's not that these people aren't funny, because as you say comedy is subjective. It's just that they provide the lowest level of humour, enjoyed by people who are not very bright or just don't have a good sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

You're wrong, for example most people here would have seen Jason Byrne's routine on tv and his various presenting gigs and would get a fair idea from that how his live show is going to be, seeing him live is hardly going to be a huge departure from the stuff we've seen him do on tv. You don't have to experience something first hand to know that it's going to be sh1t.

It's not that these people aren't funny, because as you say comedy is subjective. It's just that they provide the lowest level of humour, enjoyed by people who are not very bright or just don't have a good sense of humour.

Oh, sorry for being wrong.

I don't watch many comedy DVDs as to appreciate live comedy, you have to go see an act.

It's impossible to get caught up in a show unless you are in the audience. A lot of Jason Byrne's stuff is off the cuff and that takes you on a ride through the show. It's the interaction with his audience at his live shows that is what you go see. The material is almost secondary. I wouldn't watch his tv stuff as it is never a good vehicle for him and his style doesn't suit tv.

So the 30,000 people who go to see his Edinburgh show every year (and it is sold out every year), do not have a good sense of humour and are all a bit thick?

I take it that you've (a) never seen him live and (b) if you did, you'd go in with such a negative head on you that you wouldn't allow yourself to enjoy it.

• Advertisement

I don't watch many comedy DVDs as to appreciate live comedy, you have to go see an act.

It's impossible to get caught up in a show unless you are in the audience. A lot of Jason Byrne's stuff is off the cuff and that takes you on a ride through the show. It's the interaction with his audience at his live shows that is what you go see. The material is almost secondary. I wouldn't watch his tv stuff as it is never a good vehicle for him and his style doesn't suit tv.

So the 30,000 people who go to see his Edinburgh show every year (and it is sold out every year), do not have a good sense of humour and are all a bit thick?

I take it that you've (a) never seen him live and (b) if you did, you'd go in with such a negative head on you that you wouldn't allow yourself to enjoy it.

On a side note, if anyone likes Jason Byrne they clearly have an entry level appreciation of comedy. Shouting and talking in an oul' wan accent for EVERY joke routine just isn't funny. I saw him on TV and never wanted to see him, ended up at one of his gigs at a carnival and it was just as I expected, muck.

I also wouldn't quantify attendance as a benchmark for how good a comedian is either. I dont consider myself a comedy guru or a know it all on the subject, but from watching his routines his humour seems to be more so "I'm mental look at me, here's a funny accent" as opposed to "well thought out, well written humour". He's a clown more so than a comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Thomas G

Dane Cook pulls stadium crowds and he's a pathetic hack in my opinion. I saw the touring documentary where he brought all his old friends with him as he went on the road and the whole thing was bitter and awful.

He is also a joke thief, taking jokes from infinitely better comedians like Louis CK and Steve Martin.

It depresses me how the image of a comedian gets mixed up with the content or quality of his/her writing. Its not a coincidence that Russel Brand gathers crowds of screaming girls at his gigs.

I read the article on Amstell in Times' An Irishman's Diary. I saw him before and when the Vicars st. gig arrived, I decided not to go.

I'm only one person though. I'm sure hes worked hard to be where he is today, but I was turned off Buzzcocks (as was Bill Bailey it seems) while he was hosting. The show alienated me, it seemed too cool for school, or a circle jerk of hip arse***es, to put it strongly.

edit: added link to the Amstell article- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0526/1224271142382.html

Thomas G wrote: »
    Dane Cook pulls stadium crowds and he's a pathetic hack in my opinion. I saw the touring documentary where he brought all his old friends with him as he went on the road and the whole thing was bitter and awful.

He is also a joke thief, taking jokes from infinitely better comedians like Louis CK and Steve Martin.

It depresses me how the image of a comedian gets mixed up with the content or quality of his/her writing. Its not a coincidence that Russel Brand gathers crowds of screaming girls at his gigs.

I read the article on Amstell in Times' An Irishman's Diary. I saw him before and when the Vicars st. gig arrived, I decided not to go.

I'm only one person though. I'm sure hes worked hard to be where he is today, but I was turned off Buzzcocks (as was Bill Bailey it seems) while he was hosting. The show alienated me, it seemed too cool for school, or a circle jerk of hip arse***es, to put it strongly.

edit: added link to the Amstell article- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0526/1224271142382.html

To be honest i laugh very heartilly at Mr. Amstels put downs on buzzcocks and went to Vicar st. last Saturday night on that basis. I was expecting filth of the highest order, and purchased alcohol. Mr. Amstel then commenced the show which was more of a one man gay monologue, dealing with the trials and tribulations of a shy and insecure gay loaner than a bob hope show.
    However all 4 of us laughed and enjoyed the show, it was filmed for DVD but he was all over the place, and the crowd were mental.

As regards joke stealers check out the south park episode "fishsticks" or somethin,...they rip the piss out of this joke stealin american/mexican comedian carlos mencia...

To be honest i laugh very heartilly at Mr. Amstels put downs on buzzcocks and went to Vicar st. last Saturday night on that basis. I was expecting filth of the highest order, and purchased alcohol. Mr. Amstel then commenced the show which was more of a one man gay monologue, dealing with the trials and tribulations of a shy and insecure gay loaner than a bob hope show.
    However all 4 of us laughed and enjoyed the show, it was filmed for DVD but he was all over the place, and the crowd were mental.

As regards joke stealers check out the south park episode "fishsticks" or somethin,...they rip the piss out of this joke stealin american/mexican comedian carlos mencia...

Can you define "mental"? I was there on Saturday and it was far from mental. A lot of unhappy campers after that show, and for the first time in a long time, everyone seemed happy that there was no encore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

So.....did any one of you ask for a refund after Simon's show? If it was as bad as you're making out, you should have.

Maybe I should have, but what good would it have done? I paid for a comedy show, I got one, albeit an absolutely pathetic showing. No guarantee on the ticket of it being a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'm actually not a big stand up fan i just reckon i'm a good judge of what's good comedy and what isn't, as you've said it's subjective but surely there has to be some standard? Ticket sales are not the barometer.

The fact that 30,000 tickets were sold for Jason Byrne's gig means jack **** to me regarding his comedic talents to be honest, it's more of an indictment of the audiences out there.

As i've said, i'm not the biggest stand up fan, but i've a lot of time for the true greats, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce, Stewart Lee and a few in between but it's just a medium that's oversaturated with hacks such as Jason Byrne and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Even though they are hilarious most women comedians suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Tommy Tiernan :(

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    So.....did any one of you ask for a refund after Simon's show? If it was as bad as you're making out, you should have.
    No, I enjoyed it, and the support.

Advertisement