Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedians that suck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bacon?

Ardal O'Hanlon

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

can't stand that jarlaith guy........watching him perform is painful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I think most Irish comedians suck at this stage. They just remind me of certain school types. Maybe it's begrudgery but feck paying €30+ to hear some crap jokes I could hear in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

David O'Doherty didn't make me laugh once when i saw him last year (:confused:seriously, not once) and buckled under heckling!

V.disappointing.

Other time i saw him, he wasn't that bad(wasn't great either) but a few people made light to the fact that they wanted their money back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/dane_cook_parlays_new_burger_king

:D
    Darksaga87 wrote: »
    85% of comedy store and jonguleurs.

I saw a guy do 5 mins as the first act in the comedy store
    I p*ssed myself, nobody else laughed (odd titter), MC even gave it the "that was a bit different"

Turned out it was a bit different to the rest, it was funny! (headline was good as well tbf)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

There are a good few funny people on it, the ones most of us hope are on. But there are seriously rubbish ones too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭JamesTaylorfan

zAbbo wrote: »
    Billy Connolly.

Ah now that's just silly....Billy Connolly was at his finest
    the funniest human being on Earth.
    He is slipping a bit now as he gets older but that does'nt take away from his genius.:)

Arathorn wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan.. Totally over rated

The trouble withTiernan is he's inconsistent.
    I've seen him here in Dublin and in New York and he was a riot
    and I've seen him where he just shouts a lot and is not nearly as good.

maybe it's because they're human and have good and bad nights and good and better material over their careers.

I admire them for their courage though.

prospect wrote: »
    I can't beleive Tommy Tiernan, Dara O'Briain & Billy Connelly are mentioned... These guys are all brilliant comedians.

However:
    Ed Byrne, Brendan O'Carroll, Andrew Maxwell, Lee Evans, The fat baldy english landlord bloke, Des Bishop and Patrick Kielty are all terrible terrible comedians.

I disagree about Des Bishop....he can be a riot at times.
    Saw him in Vicar St and cracked up laughing that time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭D.U.M.B

Brendan O Carroll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

WILL FERRELL

Ben stiller.

Patrick kielty.

vince vaughn.

jack black.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Stephen K Amos

The K is for Krappy I presume ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sarah_lennon

Yeah the TT shouting this is actually embarassing

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

Michael McIntyre - who's he paying to advertise his "roadshow"...about as funny as a heart attack...even if his material was good (which it isn't) he wouldn't be funny...he has that horrible middle-class look of never having worked a day in his life, so I don't want to hear about his unfunny experiences that he's read out of a book

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Philip42 wrote: »
    Michael McIntyre - who's he paying to advertise his "roadshow"...about as funny as a heart attack...even if his material was good (which it isn't) he wouldn't be funny...he has that horrible middle-class look of never having worked a day in his life, so I don't want to hear about his unfunny experiences that he's read out of a book

So the middle class dont work...now that's a statement and a half. You mean he is educated and never worked in a dead end menial job?

ps Never even heard of the guy but the few seconds on youtube I managed to watch are not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

Maybe I should change that - talentless....I've nothing against the middle class...Stephen Fry is hilarious...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

JO FRICKIN BRAND!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 winefan

That 'bovinity' beardie guy who's probably a really nice ordinary chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Adrock-aka

Ah now that's just silly....Billy Connolly was at his finest
    the funniest human being on Earth.
    He is slipping a bit now as he gets older but that does'nt take away from his genius.:)

Billy Connolly sucks as a comic!?

No he doesnt. zAbbo is just is annoyed cuz Billy took the limelight from other Scottish acts, like his band, the proclaimers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Adrock-aka

a friend of mine had a Lee Evans show ripped to audio on their mp3 player, I thought nobody despised him style of comedy more than myself, I now understand that blind people must understand him on even less levels than me. I also dislike any American "observational" comedians on the basis that I've never flown on a plane, had problems opening crisps or enjoyed taking items and concepts, breaking down their function down to such a degree that you could apply it to anything and make it look foolish.

Example: "whats the deal with unicycles, aren’t they just half a bike for the same price, why not buy an ordinary bike, break it in half, bam, you have two unicycles"

also, peter kay is comedy for people who can't read and agree with the views of richard littlejohn and nick griffin.

Glad you mentioned these two together. Some comedians like Kay and Evans in the UK have huge success and sell out tours yearly because of the pub club type comedy they both use in their material. There is a huge following for that comedy in Britain. That said, i think Lee Evans energy is great, if not a little overbearing and 20% of his material has me in stitches.

Saw Ross Noble recently and I loved him. Can get very surreal but thats why you go! Gave a really long show and had the audience in the palm of his hand. He has a few main points he will talk about but the rest (the other hour and a half) is pure comedy that is really unscripted and involves the audience a lot.

Really like:
    - Sean Locke (he has one of the funniest shows ive ever seen in the last few years on youtube)
    - Ricky Gervais - fame/politics and animals were excellent for a TV actor
    - Eddie Izzard (seeing him in December! anyone?)
    - Dylan Moran is my favourite Irish Comic by far
    - Tommy T, his last two shows werent as good as earlier ones though since he's started picking really easy things to have a pop at (Religion and handicapped people being at the top of that list)
    - Billy Connolly, even though he's gotten a bit more introspective the last 5 years and.. angrier! He is (IMO of course) the best stand up comedian ever for a million different reasons.
    - Found a lot of Dave Chappelles stuff great

Dislike;

- Neil Delamere - alternating between a bogger accent and a scumbag accent (which encompasses 70% of his act), isnt funny!
    - Ardal O Hanlon - his material is really weak
    - Jimmy Carr - anyone with a smirk, half decent timing, sarcastic voice and a funny looking face can read off a hundred jokes in an hour. Hes a better Panel host.
    - Michael Mcintyre - he tries way too hard to be half decent
    - JO Brand? whatever her hame is. we get it, youre large and find men hard to understand.
    - Ed Byrne makes me physically cringe sometimes

Seeing Simon Amstel in a month or two! Rumour has he quit Never Mind the Buzzcocks and is doing standup for a while! Anyone seen any of his stuff? Should be half decent he made that show very good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Russell Brand much less funny than a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 winefan

That depends on who's having the heart attack. Take my mother in law for instance.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Can we start a seperate thread purely on Dane Cook's shíteness?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Sarah Silverman and Lee Evans.

And every weekend seems to be Lee Evans weekend on Paramount/Comedy Central, so I've to see his sweaty head being advertised every second day.

Just not funny.

Ardal o handlan

ed byrne

About as funny as cancer

I know ill get attacked over this but... frankie boyle live isint great, on mock the week he OWNS!! but live.. not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I know ill get attacked over this but... frankie boyle live isint great, on mock the week he OWNS!! but live.. not so much.

I'd have to agree with you. On Mock the Week, he is generally hilarious, love watching him. But having seen him live and having seen his DVD, stand up just isn't him. I found him to be really abusive to the audience, not in the let's have a laugh and take the piss out of you way, but just in the way of throwing abuse at people; saying one girl looked like a retarded monkey and asking if she's a nun cos her looks are only good for attracting cobwebs, and asking going at one very overweight guy asking had he ever heard of an f'n diet, and did he pay strangers to come with him as he'd never be seen with someone so morbidly obese.

You could see the targets were quite offended and just wondering where the punchline was, while the crowd wasn't really laughing so much as sighing and letting out a faint laugh until they heard he was just being an ass.

Also his stand up was just poor, he's not a storyteller, just a funny remark guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rimmer

A photo of his great grandmother:

http://curragh.cc/photos/pages/Granny & Brat_6fxu6G6mdV.php

Why is she important?

Sorry, that doesn't work here

• Advertisement

Maybe this does:

http://curragh.cc/photos/pages/Granny%20&%20Brat.jpg

I'm off to bed anyway.

Advertisement