Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedians that suck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Quint wrote: »
    Agree with you there, watched a few videos of him on youtube. Terribly unfunny stuff, then the audience crack up when he says "silence - i kill you".

Reminds me of when Bart Simpson was the "i didn't do it" kid.

I watched that clip in disbelief. Any comic attempting that gig with an Irish or UK audience would die on their ass!

Possibly the most unfunny piece of comedy i've ever seen on TV. What is it about America, they seem to celebrate the most mediocre attempts at comedy - laughing uproariously at this guy as if he's the funniest thing they've ever seen?

And as for his crack about the Jews, how on earth did THAT get past the censors?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Do we not need some level of comedy partly in response to horrific events, though? I don't mean specifically about September 11th or suicide bombings, but maybe the issues around them. I'd agree that Jeff Dunham's stuff wears a bit thin to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

eth0_ wrote: »
    I watched that clip in disbelief. Any comic attempting that gig with an Irish or UK audience would die on their ass!

so that is why he has a uk/Irish tour in the spring that is selling very well!

f*ck sake i really hate this thread! apparantly every comedian of the face of the planet is sh!t, women are "funny as cancer", and no one agrees on anyone!

If this is the Irish mentality we may aswell cancel stand up comedy full stop, no more clubs, no comedian allowed tour over here because no one would turn up, they are obviously sh!t :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 doomedtofail

I hate to even give him the negative publicity but there's a midget twat called 'Andrew Maxwell' who apparently fancies himself as a comedian. Suffers from JasonByrne-ism which means the louder I shout the funnier people will think I am.

About as funny as getting a crossbow through the neck and finding an audit from Revenue stapled to it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

About as funny as getting a crossbow through the neck and finding an audit from Revenue stapled to it

Now THAT'S comedy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jonlajoie. I think that's his name. The "show me your genitals guy" on youtube. Waste of valuble bandwidth.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭g-whizz

Andy Parsons, Any woman, Billy Connolly, Ed Byrne, Andrew Maxwell, Delamare,
    Lee evans tries too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Tommy 'I'm not funny' Tierney and Brendan O'Connor - dull as ditch water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Gina Yashere!! Shouting is not funny!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

This thread is far too negative.

Thought I'd post some stand ups that I think are hilarious.

1. Eddie Murphy

He's a sell out now, but he was an amazing stand up comic..once..

2. Eddie Izzard

3. Richard Pryor

And finally...

Saved the best till last in my opinion.

4. George Carlin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    2. Eddie Izzard

Of all the 'comedians' in the world - Eddie Izzard is the one twat I couldn't be paid to go and see.

Not one thing that guy has ever said has been funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

g-whizz wrote: »
    Andy Parsons, Any woman, Billy Connolly, Ed Byrne, Andrew Maxwell, Delamare,
    Lee evans tries too hard.

I agree with you about Ed Byrne. He's awful. Billy Connolly is brilliant. And personally, I think Lee Evans is the best British comedian in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

that george carlin stuff is brilliant

cant stand delamare,maxwell, tiernan, lenny henry, mcintyre,the pub landlord bloke, des bishop

like george carlin, bill hicks, eddie izzard, joyce grenfell, gervais, lee evans, ronnie corbett, rick mayall and ade edmunsen, french and saunders, victoria wood....a strange mixture whatever makes me laugh i suppose.....everyone to their own i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JuiceTerry

krudler wrote: »
    Achmed is pseudo racism like kold said though, its for Americans who think all middle eastern people have names that sound like hakking up phlegm and will blow you apart if you look at them funny

Touche !
    Well said! - that is exactly my thoughts. how is this cretin funny. He just panders to uniformed Yanks worst prejudices about suspucious Arab types. Just for the sake of balance, he then throws in some vile anti-semitism. nothing witty or relevant to say about society, just pandering to the lowest common denominator.

some comedians that suck -

Michael McIntyre
    Jason Byrne
    Brendan o' Carroll

ugh-- unfunny and quiet thick too. Still they are inexplicably selling loads of dvds so if they are playing to the gallery, good luck to them...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

JuiceTerry wrote: »
    Touche !
    Well said! - that is exactly my thoughts. how is this cretin funny. He just panders to uniformed Yanks worst prejudices about suspucious Arab types. Just for the sake of balance, he then throws in some vile anti-semitism. nothing witty or relevant to say about society, just pandering to the lowest common denominator.quote]

So you can honestly say you didnt laugh at borat or bruno?cohen does the exact same thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Nodster wrote: »
    Tommy 'I'm not funny' Tierney and Brendan O'Connor - dull as ditch water

Brendan O'Connor isn't a comedian. I hate you for making me stand up for him:(
    I'm off to puke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

I personally can't stand a couple of stand ups, for various reason's, I'm not a lover of the "one liners" like the american guy on Mock the week.... dislike him so much his name escapes me!

Another one I hate (sorry I know that's a strong word, but really do!) is yer man Des Bishop!

We were at the Ivy Gardens last year, and after the gig we were waiting on the loo's and a "hooded fella" was standing next to us..... I recognised him and said "howya Des" just to be friendly! (we just paid to see the show!) His response was to throw a hissy fit and shout "ah ffs now everybody knows who I am"....."eh no?" I said to him "what just happened there was some slightly drunk woman bumped into someone she might know and said hello to him, your the one who drew the crowds attention by throwing a hissy fit!" I will NEVER watch the fella again, and the show was crap anyway...... we went to two shows that wknd and PJ Gallagher was much better!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Buster_Gonnads

Tommy tiernan -> Simply not funny. I'm not shocked by his 'Shock Comedy', he simply is not funny!

Lee Evans->How is this guy on telly so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

bernyh wrote: »
    Another one I hate (sorry I know that's a strong word, but really do!) is yer man Des Bishop!

We were at the Ivy Gardens last year, and after the gig we were waiting on the loo's and a "hooded fella" was standing next to us..... I recognised him and said "howya Des" just to be friendly! (we just paid to see the show!) His response was to throw a hissy fit and shout "ah ffs now everybody knows who I am"....."eh no?" I said to him "what just happened there was some slightly drunk woman bumped into someone she might know and said hello to him, your the one who drew the crowds attention by throwing a hissy fit!" I will NEVER watch the fella again, and the show was crap anyway...... we went to two shows that wknd and PJ Gallagher was much better!!!!!!!!!!!

I've met Des a number of times and found him to be a really nice guy. Really down to earth, and a genuine person. He took time out to listen to me when I told him I was thinking of trying standup - he told me I could email him for advice and also offered me an open spot in the International, when I felt confident enough to give it a go. Even before all that I had sold him a mobile phone, and was totally chilled out when there was a delay in getting his connection sorted. No kind of "do you know who I am" - attitude from him - that I have gotten from other customers in the past. You seem to have had a negative experience with the guy, but there is two sides to every story.

Pretty much evey professional comedian has been mentioned in here by one person or another. I think that goes to show how everyone has their own personal preference when it comes to comedy, just like with music. It's refreshing to hear that there's variety out there - for every I hate X post that implies that he poster must therefore love Y. I don't think comments such as "Lee Evans isn't funny", are particuarly helpful - because anyone who posts that is just wrong - he quite clearly IS funny. Thousands of people pay good money each year to go and see the guy. His style of humour just may not appeal to you as an individual.

This thread also serves to further prove the point that Ireland is a nation of begrudgers - I wonder how many of the previous posts have an envious undertone to them.

So there's different comedians out there and different types of comedy. Go and embrace the style that appeals to you the most, and leave the other guys/girls alone to do their own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

squidgey wrote: »
    This thread also serves to further prove the point that Ireland is a nation of begrudgers - I wonder how many of the previous posts have an envious undertone to them.

So there's different comedians out there and different types of comedy. Go and embrace the style that appeals to you the most, and leave the other guys/girls alone to do their own thing.

I don't see what the problem with people saying they think a comedian sucks is. There's no need to be the moral police when it comes to people's opinions. It's the same as saying a film sucks or a football team sucks. Whats so bad about that exactly?

To say we are a nation of begrudgers based on this thread is waaaaaaaay off, have you never seen someone or something and said "God this sucks".

The problem only arises when people come along and say "oh you're a moron if you like or don't like this comedy" or suggesting that because someone doesn't like a comedian that they're "envious". Get a grip. Yeah I think Comedian A sucks, doesn't mean I'm denying that he is funny to some people. IN MY OPINION he sucks. Welcome to free thought.

You should take your own advice and embrace other people's opinions, and engage in conversations and discussions about it as opposed to saying its better if we say nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DeBunny

Who's this?

" Jayziz lads, sure amn't I MAD altogether, and loud aswell. And sure amn't I feckin' oirish ta boot. Ducks have sex. Sure jayziz thats gas. LOUD OIRISH NOISES RRRAAAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!!!"
    Tommy Tiernan. Yay. 10 points to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

DeBunny wrote: »
    Who's this?

" Jayziz lads, sure amn't I MAD altogether, and loud aswell. And sure amn't I feckin' oirish ta boot. Ducks have sex. Sure jayziz thats gas. LOUD OIRISH NOISES RRRAAAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!!!"
    Tommy Tiernan. Yay. 10 points to you!
    He is really annoying. He tries to hard for the shock comedy and then just makes a tool of himself. Saying that I did find parts of his first dvd hilarious.

seanybiker wrote: »
    He is really annoying. He tries to hard for the shock comedy and then just makes a tool of himself. Saying that I did find parts of his first dvd hilarious.

ive said this a good few times now, but with tommy its really a case of how the mighty has fallen, bought into his own hype and doesnt try anymore, his career went like this:

his first 2 dvds (live & cracked): brilliant shows, well thought out. great!
    his next dvd loose: meh take it or leave it! Lost some of the magic
    his next dvd: jokerman: self indulgent, funny but arrogant
    his next dvd: ok baby: absolute muck
    his most recent show/dvd: bovinity-hour and a half of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH (and the fact that he brought it out on dvd is rediculous as one hour of it is on ok baby)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Disagree with Dara O'Briain slating as I think his brand of comedy is quite inteligent!

+1 most female comedians.
    +1 Lee Evans
    +1 Brendan O'Connor

And I heard Katherine (traveller voices are funny...) Lynch being called a comedian....tragedy....I'd like to kick her in the face. So unfunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

mickrourke wrote: »
    Deirdre O'Kane

"ya we women have periods like....and tampons.....and .....ha look at the men looking all awkward"

No Deirdre we're very embarrassed for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Katherine Lynch, Maeve Higgins, Deirdre O'Kane etc. Any Irish female.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

in no particular order:
    Lee Evans - his to fast and sweaty for me to understand
    Jimmy Carr - One line is not funny imo
    Des Bishop - you really still can't be surprised by the irish way.
    Dave McSavage - Makes me want to throw stuff at him
    Katherine Lynch - painful
    Peter Kay - BORING
    John Bishop- your not funny, go away!
    Will Ferrell - Try changing style once in a while

Katherine Lynch, Maeve Higgins, Deirdre O'Kane etc. Any Irish female.

SENATOR_BARACK_OBAMA.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

in no particular order:
    Lee Evans - his to fast and sweaty for me to understand
    Jimmy Carr - One line is not funny imo
    Des Bishop - you really still can't be surprised by the irish way.
    Dave McSavage - Makes me want to throw stuff at him
    Katherine Lynch - painful
    Peter Kay - BORING
    John Bishop- your not funny, go away!
    Will Ferrell - Try changing style once in a while

So which comedians do you actually like Laura?

And when you say Will Ferrell - do you mean the stand up used to do before he started acting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

ive said this a good few times now, but with tommy its really a case of how the mighty has fallen, bought into his own hype and doesnt try anymore, his career went like this:

his first 2 dvds (live & cracked): brilliant shows, well thought out. great!
    his next dvd loose: meh take it or leave it! Lost some of the magic
    his next dvd: jokerman: self indulgent, funny but arrogant
    his next dvd: ok baby: absolute muck
    his most recent show/dvd: bovinity-hour and a half of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH (and the fact that he brought it out on dvd is rediculous as one hour of it is on ok baby)

I tend to agree.
    I know i probably said i didn't like him but he's not the worst tbh.
    Actually, i found myself smiling while listening to his new radio thingy with Hector recently.

Advertisement