Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedians that suck

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jelliskite

I went with my wife to the International Bar comedy night and didn't know anything about this guy (David McSavage). He brought his own camera to be filmed and when he took the stage his first joke died.. Not a sound. All subsequent jokes died and he started to get angry at the audience. The audience consisted of mainly guys with there girl friends or wife's. His jokes started getting more and more angry and mainly direct at women. Now my wife and I are very open minded and where not offended by what he said but it just wasn't funny, very schoolboy unintelligent comedy. He had jokes like said at least 1 in 4 women have been raped and and thats why they looked pissed off and then said to the only black person (A girl) sitting up the front "You would know about that wouldn't you". More silence. Then he got off the stage and shouted at his fellow comedians sanding in the corridor and said "Shut up you c****" So I said to my wife I had enough lets go and we got up and walked out.. As I walked by him he called me an idiot I told him that he was really s***e and my wife said this is really poor to him.

We went down to the bar to finish our drinks then as we left we seen the host of the show paying him in the street with hs camera under his arm I just smiled. The host obviously decided they didn't need his services for the next evening show :-)

Its amazing that this guy got a headline spot on a Sat night or any stand up gig for that matter.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I'm actually not a big stand up fan i just reckon i'm a good judge of what's good comedy and what isn't, as you've said it's subjective but surely there has to be some standard? Ticket sales are not the barometer.

The fact that 30,000 tickets were sold for Jason Byrne's gig means jack **** to me regarding his comedic talents to be honest, it's more of an indictment of the audiences out there.

As i've said, i'm not the biggest stand up fan, but i've a lot of time for the true greats, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce, Stewart Lee and a few in between but it's just a medium that's oversaturated with hacks such as Jason Byrne and the like.

Well, if you're not a big stand up fan then your opinion isn't that particularly relevant in a discussion regarding stand up comedy... (in the same way I wouldn't listen to a food critic who didn't particularly like food).

How can you be a good judge of stand up comedy when you don't go to see it?

Then you roll out the names of acts you've never seen - the typical list of names rolled out by people who know very little about stand up comedy. (Having said that Pryor and Lee were/are great - never had time for the preachings of Bill Hicks/Steve hughes/Mark Thomas).

I would agree that ticket sales are no indicator of talent but you also have to look at reviews that people get and if someone is consistently receiving 4 and 5 star reviews, and selling out gigs, I would be assured that they have some talent.

Or, I could just listen to what you think ("it's ****") based on never having seen an act live.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

jelliskite wrote: »
    I went with my wife to the International Bar comedy night and didn't know anything about this guy (David McSavage). He brought his own camera to be filmed and when he took the stage his first joke died.. Not a sound. All subsequent jokes died and he started to get angry at the audience. The audience consisted of mainly guys with there girl friends or wife's. His jokes started getting more and more angry and mainly direct at women. Now my wife and I are very open minded and where not offended by what he said but it just wasn't funny, very schoolboy unintelligent comedy. He had jokes like said at least 1 in 4 women have been raped and and thats why they looked pissed off and then said to the only black person (A girl) sitting up the front "You would know about that wouldn't you". More silence. Then he got off the stage and shouted at his fellow comedians sanding in the corridor and said "Shut up you c****" So I said to my wife I had enough lets go and we got up and walked out.. As I walked by him he called me an idiot I told him that he was really s***e and my wife said this is really poor to him.

We went down to the bar to finish our drinks then as we left we seen the host of the show paying him in the street with hs camera under his arm I just smiled. The host obviously decided they didn't need his services for the next evening show :-)

Its amazing that this guy got a headline spot on a Sat night or any stand up gig for that matter.

J

Ah David McSavage, still reeling off material from ten years ago. I agree with you on his comedic ability, its just non-existant. And he is an absolute knob, sure he's been barred from participating at the Cat Laughs festival since it began because of his attitude to the runners and things he's said, reportedly and apparently. The only reason he's still around is because RTE finally gave in and gave him a satire show on RTE last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FirePower

Dylan Moran (honestly dont see the appeal)
    Ricky Gervais (stick to the sitcoms)
    Chris Rock (you're black we get it)
    Sarah Silverman & Chelsea whatsherface (You're Jewish we get it, you're also shít)
    Jason Byrne and his "chuckle" brother Ed (no exp. neccesary)
    Lee Evans (squeaky impressions are not a substitute for jokes!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

160x120_gina_yashere.jpg
    Comedian Gina Yashere

all of her jokes on "Mock the Week" deserve a facepalm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Thomas G wrote: »
    but I was turned off Buzzcocks (as was Bill Bailey it seems) while he was hosting. The show alienated me, it seemed too cool for school, or a circle jerk of hip arse***es, to put it strongly.

edit: added link to the Amstell article- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0526/1224271142382.html

Yeah hated when he took over presenting NMTB.
    He just has this perma-sneer that annoys me.
    Always right there to pummel the audience into "getting" the (generally weakish) jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Mike Wilmot.

The worst 'professional' comedian I've seen for some years. So bad I almost felt sorry for him when I saw him perform..... almost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

maeve

'will someone please kill her career fast for all our sakes '

bastard

higgins

simon amstell as well, truly ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Maeve is a dry auld sh*te

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

zAbbo wrote: »
    Billy Connolly.

you are a NAZI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Selected

I’ve just read through this whole fcuking thread, and not only am I exhausted, I am utterly depressed. And just as I thought it couldn’t get any worse the realisation that Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks and George Carlin are all dead and are never coming back is a real kick in the face.:(

Of all the comedians slated here, Tommy Tiernan is the only one with the natural talent to make any sort of a comeback, that is, if he’s still interested in comedy. It seems to me that he’s easily side-tracked and influenced by other (unfunny) people and has lost control of his career.

/EDIT
    Mabinog, which has certainly improved familial and personal difficulties, nonetheless, has had the unfortunate effect of diminishing, or relegating, Tommy’s comedic ability to Pampers.

I believe in the individual and in individual responsibility – the talented or gifted individual, however tortured an existence, has a responsibility of expression to that gifted existence, which should over-ride peripheral, mundane, irrelevant, and conventional suppositions.
    /EDIT

The only problem with the Hector and Tommy Show is Hector.

I still believe in Tommy – here’s hoping for a return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Ricky Gervais animals and politics are brilliant. His delivery is 1st class.

Chris Rock was also very controversial in that he was the first black comedian to make fun of black people but did it in a funny, clever and acceptable way.

Dylan Moran is a marmite. You get it or you don't

Maeve can shove those vittles back in her oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Maeve can shove those vittles back in her oven.

Few women can pull off stand up, but imo Maeve Higgins can. I think she's brilliant.

Andrew Maxwell is just plain terrible. He spent the whole of the cat laughs parading around Kilkenny acting the idiot desperate for attention. He seemed like he was off his head and other comedians gave him a wide berth. Wonder if he managed to make all his shows.

Maxwell is alright. Women just aren't funny. They should just give up.

Fellas can be bad but they're still slightly interesting and so thick that it becomes funny. Maeve, Deirdre and the like are apain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Maxwell is alright. Women just aren't funny. They should just give up.

Fellas can be bad but they're still slightly interesting and so thick that it becomes funny. Maeve, Deirdre and the like are apain in the arse.

Women aren't funny usually because they either go on about their love lives or women things like periods etc. I remember one female Irish comedian (name escapes me, she never made it big anyway) at the Montreal Showcase spending 20 mins talking about her menstrual cycle and tampons and periods and it was just horrendous stuff. Maeve Higgins has her dating schtick and it just seems as if most female comedians only have two avenues of material.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

cant stand that tommy fella from the west . i cant even think of his second name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dancingdavey

Hello,

I have no idea how to use Boards to be honest. But I am currently looking at setting up a comedy barber shop group,

Anyone intrested? Ideally living in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

Hello,

I have no idea how to use Boards to be honest. But I am currently looking at setting up a comedy barber shop group,

Hiya Davey! Your post won't get seen by the right people in this thread! Start a separate thread in the Stand-up comedy section (same section this particular thread is in), ie: Boards > Humour > Stand-Up Comedy, select 'new thread/topic

Interesting idea, btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

tom thum wrote: »
    cant stand that tommy fella from the west . i cant even think of his second name.

Thum ? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 J Brennan

stepbar wrote: »
    Jimmy Carr

and good ould Dave McSavage. Fcukin w**ker :mad:

Jimmy carr? No, I luv him.Very funny. How is he not ? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

What happens if you put Ryan Reynolds, dane Cook and ashton Kutcher in a film together.

The whole universe implodes from the fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

daithimac wrote: »
    What happens if you put Ryan Reynolds, dane Cook and ashton Kutcher in a film together.

The whole universe implodes from the fail.

It already did after your post

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

(Seen Jason Byrne three times at Edinburgh. A legend, I can't understand his inclusion in this thread! Don't base you opinion on his crappy RTE show(s))

My crap list: Des "I'm an american in Ireland" Bishop,
    Ed Byrne
    Reginald D. Hunter (totally overrated)
    Andrew Maxwell (will someone explain to me what is funny about this guy?)
    Peter Kay (love Phoenix Nights, though)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

While I'm at it...

Legends - Hicks, Kitson, Connolly, Moran, Stanhope, Sadowitz

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Noel Fielding/The Mighty Boosh....to paraphrase Noel Gallagher: "I'm just glad I lived long enough to hear the sh1ttest comedy act ever"....christ their whole act is so sh1t that words fail me how bad it actually is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Hello,

Do you have to have a GSOH?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

coyle wrote: »
    Noel Fielding/The Mighty Boosh....to paraphrase Noel Gallagher: "I'm just glad I lived long enough to hear the sh1ttest comedy act ever"....christ their whole act is so sh1t that words fail me how bad it actually is!

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

The people who said Lee Evans need to be brought out the back and shot in the balls.

Now that one Chelsea Lately is the most unfunny "comedian" and her ass licking unfunny Z-list guests , she reminds me why i hate most american "celebs"

Chelsea: "I went to the shop today and forgot i had already gone yesterday", cue endless false unneccasary laughter ,jerks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Yep Lee Evans has to be one of the worst - I actually emailed paramount asking them to please, for the love of humour, STOP showing his bargain basement dvds. Tripe

Advertisement