Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa Day, Iveagh Gardens Dublin 16th May

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Will Bono be there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

When are we having a go back to Africa day?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

When are we going to have a go fuck yourself day?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

My uncles band will be playing there , The Blue Thunder Band

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

LpPepper wrote: »
    goodstuff, i'll keep an eye out for them so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

couple of us heading into this, never been and looking forward yo a mixture of food tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

If you don't go you are a fücking racist nazi bigot!

Jay D wrote: »
    couple of us heading into this, never been and looking forward yo a mixture of food tbh :)

Yeh, weather should be good.

Orange69 wrote: »

I wont be going so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Orange69 wrote: »

What have Nazis to do with Africa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Ye might as well go. Ye're paying for it, via the Dept of Foreign Affairs and other state bodies.
    We don't have an America Day or an Asia Day or (God forbid) a Europe Day paid for by the state (to the tune of hundreds of thousands of euro, incidentally.)
    The same state turned our national day, a religious feast day for Catholics and Anglicans, into a multiculti propaganda fest of 'New Irish' floats while banning any references to Christianity in the Dublin parade.
    So go along, and celebrate the only culture our state agencies don't actively wish to destroy - the non-indigenous cultures of a far-off continent with little in common with Ireland, few historical connections relatively speaking, and slender achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ye might as well go. Ye're paying for it, via the Dept of Foreign Affairs and other state bodies.
    We don't have an America Day or an Asia Day or (God forbid) a Europe Day paid for by the state (to the tune of hundreds of thousands of euro, incidentally.)
    The same state turned our national day, a religious feast day for Catholics and Anglicans, into a multiculti propaganda fest of 'New Irish' floats while banning any references to Christianity in the Dublin parade.
    So go along, and celebrate the only culture our state agencies don't actively wish to destroy - the non-indigenous cultures of a far-off continent with little in common with Ireland, few historical connections relatively speaking, and slender achievements.

Yeah, but on the plus side, the tunes are good.

ehh, they have some nice food stalls set up..

Don't get me wrong. It's a good day out, just like the Dun Laoghaire multicult festival later in the Summer is.
    They both should be. We pay enough for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

orourkeda wrote: »
    Ooooh, controversial!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ooooh, controversial!
    Not really. Expand your epoch a little. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    Not really. Expand your epoch a little. :pac:

That makes no sense to me. Isn't an Epoch a period of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

LpPepper wrote: »

Blue Thunder is a chipper

Blue Thunder is a chipper

And a helicopter.

Nolanger wrote: »
    Will Bono be there?

He'll be filing his tax returns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

We won't, and the fact that may piss certain parties off pleases me greatly.
    Ye might as well go. (.......)achievements.

Do you disgruntled racist types c&p your whines from some central site?

O, and I'd like a source for that crap about "banning any references to Christianity in the Dublin parade." btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Will the Nigerian scammers have a stall there ?

Will the Nigerian scammers have a stall there ?

Right beside the somalian pirates stall

Nodin wrote: »
    We won't, and the fact that may piss certain parties off pleases me greatly.

Do you disgruntled racist types c&p your whines from some central site?

O, and I'd like a source for that crap about "banning any references to Christianity in the Dublin parade." btw.

No.

Oh, look, the racist card.
    What a surprise.
    Let's play, so. Firstly, you tell me how I'm racist for highlighting that we pay for a festival celebrating a distant continent with little links to this country when we do not for our own continent.
    Then you can link to where you think I cut and pasted my post from (clue: I didn't.)
    Finally, I'll happily let you know that on the Saturday before St Patrick's Day in 2009, a priest called into the Orla Barry radio show (which was hosting the organiser of the 'St Patrick's Festival' in Dublin) to complain that they had told him no float could bear religious iconography in the Dublin parade.
    The organiser confirmed this, described what he called 'Christian themes' as being inappropriate and then went on to confirm that instead there would be a 'city fusion' float representing a dozen religions instead.
    I'd love to link to it for you, but not everything's on the interwebs. I do have that discussion on tape though, because I couldn't believe what I was hearing and started recording it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Finally, I'll happily let you know that on the Saturday before St Patrick's Day in 2009, a priest called into the Orla Barry radio show (which was hosting the organiser of the 'St Patrick's Festival' in Dublin) to complain that they had told him no float could bear religious iconography in the Dublin parade.
    The organiser confirmed this, described what he called 'Christian themes' as being inappropriate and then went on to confirm that instead there would be a 'city fusion' float representing a dozen religions instead.
    I'd love to link to it for you, but not everything's on the interwebs. I do have that discussion on tape though, because I couldn't believe what I was hearing and started recording it.

What's wrong with that? Personally, I think all religion should fúck right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Do you not have a taxi to drive?

Why can anyone who expresses a religious belief f*ck off?

If you believe this to be true why is racism such a touchy subject

It's a religious festival is what's wrong with that.
    I speak as an ardent atheist when I say that the state has no right to bar references to Christianity in the St Patrick's Day parade, because it's not their parade - it belongs to the Irish people, who celebrate it in commemoration of the national saint, in keeping with a lengthy tradition.
    Even worse is to do so hypocritically, by banning Christian references but then putting a float of all sorts of other religions up O'Connell Street.

• Advertisement

Do you not have a taxi to drive?

You anti racism people wouldn't propagate sterotypes or fuel myths would you?

It's a rather foolish thing to say when one considers that you dont know the first thing about me. Practice what you preach. I presume you are preaching something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement