Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa Day, Iveagh Gardens Dublin 16th May

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

rovert wrote: »
    I admit it was a poor example, but anything African pops up out come the racists.

And the brainwashed, liberal morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Are you really stating he didnt have patrons?

I'm stating he didn't get government grants.
    His troupe sought the patronage, ie the lending of a nobleman's name, so as to avoid being attacked, robbed or jailed in a period when theatre troupes had a bad name.
    When he was prevented from pursuing his trade, he wrote poems for cash for his patrons.
    It's nothing like the money for nothing dished out by the Arts Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

This makes no sense

Which part do you have a problem comprehending?

I admit it was a poor example, but anything African pops up out come the racists.

Are you suggesting that africans should be immune from criticism? You deem all criticism of africans, no matter what the situation, to be racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

This makes no sense

If this was "Spanish Day" and the Irish Government funded it out would pop me.

Because I am sick of seeing taxpayers money being wasted and our national debt growing.

Be it by spending the money on festivals or spending the money on Minister's allowances and fancy Mercs, it's a waste that we could do without.

Stop using the word racist until racism is actually in the thread. Just because someone doesn't agree with your point of view on the State funding a "day"/festival doesn't make them racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Again, I have to ask you what is racist about asking why we pay for an Africa Day .

You said rather more than that.
    It appears to be a list of supporters. What do you need explained?.

What kind of support do you think they give?

Shakespeare (....)England.
    At no point in his life did he receive a government grant and I defy you to prove otherwise.
    As a member of the acting company called the Chamberlain's Men, which from 1603 were know as the King's Men, Shakespeare enjoyed the patronage of the Lord Chamberlain George Carey 2nd Lord Hunsdon and then of James I. Early in his career as a writer Shakespeare dedicated Venus and Adonis (1593) and The Rape of Lucrece (1594) to Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton. The First Folio was dedicated after Shakespeare’s death to William Herbert, 3rd Earl of Pembroke and his brother Philip who supported Shakespeare and his plays in his lifetime.
    http://shakespeare.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=698:how-many-patrons-did-shakespeare-have-and-what-were-their-names&catid=20:shakespeares-life&Itemid=623
    Five years prior to the Globe's opening, Shakespeare became one of the share-owning partners in a theater company organized under the sponsorship of the Lord Chamberlain, the head of Queen Elizabeth I's royal household
    http://www.enotes.com/william-shakespeare/shakespeares-globe-theater

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

segaBOY wrote: »
    :rolleyes: And you're happy to waste money on these days? For God's sake, what a silly idea. Fair enough, if a group representing a nationality wants to hold their own day work away, I wouldn't object, but when the State decides to fund it it's just a waste of taxpayers money that could be used better elsewhere.

Not waste no, I see it as an investment. I didn't insinuate that these had to be elaborate affairs, but we have a duty in my opinion as a nation to celebrate the cultures of our new countrymen and women. Not to do so would be akin to exclusion (in my opinion).

Can you imagine the reaction of Irish people if every other country in the world ceased celebrating St. Patrick's day and stopped funding Irish clubs/events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

theboxer wrote: »
    What arts will be on show tomorrow?:confused: A few yams, some singing and dancing, what else?
    Irish Aid, the Government’s programme of assistance to developing countries, wishes to encourage groups and communities to organise awareness-raising and educational events to mark Africa Day 2010.

http://www.irishaid.gov.ie/community-events-grants.asp

Maybe, instead of whinging about the event, you might consider attending. you never know, you might learn something & there's even the possibility that you might even have some fun.

From the sounds of it, I'd say that you could do with some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I'm stating he didn't get government grants.
    His troupe sought the patronage, ie the lending of a nobleman's name, so as to avoid being attacked, robbed or jailed in a period when theatre troupes had a bad name.
    When he was prevented from pursuing his trade, he wrote poems for cash for his patrons.
    It's nothing like the money for nothing dished out by the Arts Council.

You are changing your argument you initally said he was a self made man who didnt get hand outs. If that is true then who is Henry Wriothesley?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Yes the economy stinks right now, but I'd argue that an event like this is perfect for these times in that it's a way for people to get out and enjoy an afternoon with their friends and families. It's also an "accessible" cultural event in a way that an esoteric modern art exhibition in a closed off gallery might not be, so in lean times it may actually be a better use of money set aside to promote culture.

Maybe there is not a Europe Day because the EU hasn't bothered to organize one. The French worked with the Irish government to organize a cultural festival that lasted for three days, and the American Embassy and Irish government frequently host free co-sponsored events. I've been to many of these kinds of events and I haven't even lived in Ireland for a year - maybe you need to get on more email lists or get out more.

And an "Ireland Day" - are you kidding? There is an Irish Food Festival, an Irish Film Festival, an Irish Dance Festival (going on now), etc., etc. Every month there are events devoted exclusively to celebrating Irish culture. Yet your knickers are in a twist because ONE day of the year is spent on a festival that covers over 50 countries. It is free to the public, family-friendly, there are loads of musical acts coming, and there will be good food. WHAT ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT?

Where do you get off? Coming on here with all your pesky facts and logic.
    This is a forum for unwieldy rants and general foaming at the mouth.

Just because someone has an issue with the state funding an event that happens to be about Africa doesn't mean he/she's racist.

Have you read all the posts made by that person on this thread?

• Advertisement

Which part do you have a problem comprehending?

Nothing to do with comprehending merely your logic
    Are you suggesting that africans should be immune from criticism? You deem all criticism of africans, no matter what the situation, to be racist?

Funny reading of my post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

diddledum wrote: »
    Not waste no, I see it as an investment.

When can the state expect its ROI?
    diddledum wrote: »
    Can you imagine the reaction of Irish people if every other country in the world ceased celebrating St. Patrick's day and stopped funding Irish clubs/events?

The Irish community in Boston, New York etc helps fund the Saint Patricks Days parade in their respective cities. Also, remember that Saint Patricks Day is an all inclusive event. All cultures are celebrated and involved in the parade.

I'm stating he didn't (....)the Arts Council.

O, so its comedy now. What does "sponsorship" mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Nodin wrote: »

I have and have also seen the racist tag thrown liberally about this thread without anything whatsoever to back it up. If you are going to start referring to 'disgruntled racist types' why not say who is the racist and which comment they have made which leads you to that accusation ?

It is a legitmate complaint but a few people have used this explaination to mask their racism.

Are you insinuating that I am a racist based on my post?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    How much are the govt actually spending on the event?

In the hundreds of thousands.
    In 2008, they were handing out 30K to anyone prepared to hold some Africa-themed event anywhere in the country around this time.

Are you insinuating that I am a racist based on my post?

*facepalm*

Morlar wrote: »
    I have and have also seen the racist tag thrown liberally about this thread without anything whatsoever to back it up. If you are going to start referring to 'disgruntled racist types' why not say who is the racist and which comment they have made which leads you to that accusation ?

I already have, and have used the quote at least twice so far. I'd suggest glasses.

You are changing your argument you initally said he was a self made man who didnt get hand outs. If that is true then who is Henry Wriothesley?

The man who bought his sonnets.

Who is "that" person?

It is a general theme on boards, if someone doesn't agree with something that happens to involve a group of a different nationality they are called racists.

It never ceases to amaze me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

Ye might as well go. Ye're paying for it, via the Dept of Foreign Affairs and other state bodies.
    We don't have an America Day or an Asia Day or (God forbid) a Europe Day paid for by the state (to the tune of hundreds of thousands of euro, incidentally.)
    The same state turned our national day, a religious feast day for Catholics and Anglicans, into a multiculti propaganda fest of 'New Irish' floats while banning any references to Christianity in the Dublin parade.
    So go along, and celebrate the only culture our state agencies don't actively wish to destroy - the non-indigenous cultures of a far-off continent with little in common with Ireland, few historical connections relatively speaking, and slender achievements.

A month ago they had a Japanses festival there, different cultural festivals take place there all the time.

There are different nationalities and races living in Ireland now and one day a year they want to share their culture with those from the nation they have reside in.

Immigration happens, there are foreigners among us, deal with it.

Milky Moo wrote: »
    A month ago they had a Japanses festival there, different cultural festivals take place there all the time.

There are different nationalities and races living in Ireland now and one day a year they want to share their culture with those from the nation they have reside in.

Immigration happens, there are foreigners among us, deal with it.

I think they are a great idea. I think it's the cash strapped public purse funding the day in question that people have an issue with.

You said rather more than that.

So did you. You said I was racist. I object to that libellous slur and demand you retract it or attempt to support it.
    What kind of support do you think they give?

I have no idea.

You don't understand what a patron was in Elizabethan theatre land, do you?

*facepalm*

Great response. Try answering my question.

In the hundreds of thousands.
    In 2008, they were handing out 30K to anyone prepared to hold some Africa-themed event anywhere in the country around this time.

Thats great. Now why not answer the questions put to you?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65909761&postcount=96

The man who bought his sonnets.

You are just playing games here. He was his patron also.
    Great response. Try answering my question.

I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What the f*ck has Shakespeare got to do with any of this?

Who pays for them?
    We're paying for Africa Day. I don't remember being asked by the Government if that was a good use of our dwindling access to international credit.

They want to share, but we get to pay? Strange way of sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

When can the state expect its ROI?

The Irish community in Boston, New York etc helps fund the Saint Patricks Days parade in their respective cities. Also, remember that Saint Patricks Day is an all inclusive event. All cultures are celebrated and involved in the parade.

There are other ROIs than monetary ones. Why should this all come down to money? Sure, none of us need to go out dancing or drinking or to the cinema and we don't strictly need literature or music or theatre but where's the bloody harm?

Are you seriously suggesting that the government shouldn't sponsor or fund any cultural events? Or just none that celebrate other ethnicities?

• Advertisement

What the f*ck has Shakespeare got to do with any of this?

Apparently he received a lot of government grants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement