Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa Day, Iveagh Gardens Dublin 16th May

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

bijapos wrote: »
    The ordinary African paid about the same amount as the ordinary Irish paid for a Paddys day parade in any city on the planet. i.e. Zilch. Fair swop?

Not really. Saint Patricks Day brings in tourists and extra tax revenue to the repective cities its celebrated in. Unlike Africa Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

walshb wrote: »
    Nodin, (.....) a racist.

I call it like I see it. The vast majority of my posts on this thread have been targeted at one individual who made a comment that I consider racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,727 ✭✭✭✭walshb

theboxer wrote: »
    It passed the one billion mark in November 2009. There were no celebrations. No "Africa Day - Yay, we passed the one billion mark". Just embarrassed silence.

Yeah, and Bono and Geldof and others all pushing for population increase in Africa.

Sure **** it, Paddy in Ireland will fund the increases with the annual Africa day appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Ask a Dublin City councillor if you want a full break down, and while your at it ask how much the Germans paid for the Oktoberfest and Christmas Market in Georges Dock last year. Do you want them banned as well?

I don't want to ban anything. I just don't want to pay for them either.
    Do you mean perhaps the PAULANER Oktoberfest, sponsored by German brewers Paulaner?
    The Christmas Market wasn't set up to promote a particular region or country of the world. All the traders paid their own way. The shysters at the DDDA paid, ie you and me again.
    Dunno why you think a Dublin councillor would know how much Irish Aid spent on this, btw.
    Ban the Festival of World Cultures as well cos no foreigners paid for it, ban the Docklands festival cos you don't sail so why should you pay for it, ban the Strret Performers festival cos your not a street performer, ban the Phoenix Park races cos you don't like motor sport and so on.

Please explain why the state should be paying for any of the above when it is forced to borrow half a billion a week at shocking exchange rates just to keep afloat, yet is still closing hospitals around the country?
    FFS, if it costs money to go to something in this city its whinge whinge whinge, if its free its whinge whinge whinge.

How is it free? The taxpayer is picking up the tab. It might be free to anyone not paying tax, but it's not free to me.

Nodin wrote: »
    I call it like I see it.

And you see it wrong.
    Your smear attempts are just a distraction mechanism you hope will stop people considering whether this festival is a waste of public funds.

• Advertisement

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Here's two posts where you called people racist for no apparent reason

Same guy, I believe. The reasons were given earlier - read the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Sounds like a good day out to me, and not just for Africans, I also love the world culture festival in Dun Laoghaire, German market etc.

Sounds to me as if theres a few people in here with a bit of a chip on their shoulder, who are trying to make something out of nothing here!

And you see it wrong.
    Your smear attempts are just a distraction mechanism you hope will stop people considering whether this festival is a waste of public funds.

Twas you that brought other elements in.
    The same state turned our national day, a religious feast day for Catholics and Anglicans, into a multiculti propaganda fest of 'New Irish' floats while banning any references to Christianity in the Dublin parade.
    So go along, and celebrate the only culture our state agencies don't actively wish to destroy - the non-indigenous cultures of a far-off continent with little in common with Ireland, few historical connections relatively speaking, and slender achievements.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65907849&postcount=12

Here's a few questions you seem to have missed....
    You never got back to me on a few things - Why is the "state" trying to destroy Irish culture, for instance. Thats one I'm dying to know

If you believe that removing overtly catholic iconography from a parade is one of the methods they're using to do this, are you saying that one can only be Irish if one follows a certain religion?

Something out of noting?

Well, maybe when the budget comes around and OAPs have their pensions cut whilst
    Overeas Aid gets an increase, then it will hit home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Same guy, I believe. The reasons were given earlier - read the thread.

I have read the thread up to and past those particular posts, he made no racial comments whatsoever

• Advertisement

The ordinary African paid about the same amount as the ordinary Irish paid for a Paddys day parade in any city on the planet. i.e. Zilch. Fair swop?

How so? St Patrick's Day parades originated in the US. It's their tradition too.
    In Britain, it's one of their national days, so it's their tradition too.
    And elsewhere, Irish organisations like the AOH contribute to most of the parades I'm aware of.
    In any case, we DO pay to contribute to those events by way of sending our ministers on expensive junkets to them.

Sounds to me as if theres a few people in here with a bit of a chip on their shoulder, who are trying to make something out of nothing here!

If they want to celebrate their culture, foot the bill. If they want to live here, pay their way. The state isnt their personal ATM.

Something out of noting?

Well, maybe when the budget comes around and OAPs have their pensions cut whilst

They're closing hospitals now. Bringing in third-level fees. Raising taxes and levies. If it hasn't hit home already, it's because there are too many people who don't get the simple fact that when the government pays, YOU'RE paying.

Something out of noting?

When the dole gets cut to 100 brick a week and income tax is increased, we will see how welcoming these diversity darlings really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I was at the Africa day, lovely weather and good atmosphere.

Nice to have something interesting going on in town, food was a bit pricey though!

Oh wait, is this a bitch and moan thread or one about the event, I may be posting in the wrong place.

Its a small 1 day festival/fair ffs! and it's every bit as much for Irish people as it is for Africans, you know theres alot of Irish people who pay their taxes who enjoy these kind of festivals, where they can taste different foods etc.

Also i'm sure the festival created revenue also!

If this was about the World Culture fair, nobody would be bothered here!

They're closing hospitals now. Bringing in third-level fees. Raising taxes and levies. If it hasn't hit home already, it's because there are too many people who don't get the simple fact that when the government pays, YOU'RE paying.

And you know, if all this tax was actually being pumped back into Irish society to those who need it I would have little problem. To me, it seems to be going a long way to support a "lot of people" both here and abroad.

And you know, if all this tax was actually being pumped back into Irish society to those who need it I would have little problem. To me, it seems to be going a long way to support a "lot of people" both here and abroad.

....the mask is slipping there, oul flower....Or have you forgot we're not on a thread called "Dem Forunners rabble rabble".....

theboxer wrote: »
    When the dole gets cut to 100 brick a week and income tax is increased, we will see how welcoming these diversity darlings really are.

Because Africa day was so expensive, we're all going to starve, honestly if you are talking about money being wasted by the government, going on about Africa day is pathetic

....the mask is slipping there, oul flower....Or have you forgot we're not on a thread called "Dem Forunners rabble rabble".....

And your mask slipped a long time ago.

• Advertisement

There are a lot of questions over Irish Aid's budget in general.
    El Berto went to the UN spouting about how we were brilliant leading the world in giving money away. THAT'S the real reason all this rubbish expenditure occurs, classic small man show-off behaviour.
    Apart from the thorny moral question of whether we should be bankrupting our country to assist others who are worse off (a race to the bottom we're currently winning), Irish Aid's expenditure is highly questionable on a lot of their projects.
    Where they're best is when they outsource the actual work to NGOs like Goal. But even then, there is the big white chief phenomenon as well as the fact that aid has done nothing for Africa.
    But the bottom line for me is we can't afford this sort of frippery like Africa Day.
    Let me ask people this - do they think the IMF will continue that funding if they're called in?

Like the billions we're giving the bankers?

Like the billions we're giving the bankers?

You know, as bad as that may be, it's still better than the bottomless African third world pit.

Plenty of African dictators getting very wealthy off the back of overseas aid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Misdirected rage is misdirected?

Cavehill Red still dodging the patronage thing?

You know, as bad as that may be, it's still better than the bottomless African third world pit.

Plenty of African dictators getting very wealthy off the back of overseas aid.

I thought this thread was about Africa day in Dublin??

Its a one day cultural festival, I know lots of Irish people interested in these fairs, why are you trying to make it sound as if we have thrown billions of euros into African pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

COZ DEY DOOK ALL ARE JERBS!!

rovert wrote: »
    Misdirected rage is misdirected?

Cavehill Red still dodging the patronage thing?

I dropped that, as I think the point was made.

He's now dodging this, relating to his earlier musings...
    You never got back to me on a few things - Why is the "state" trying to destroy Irish culture, for instance. Thats one I'm dying to know

If you believe that removing overtly catholic iconography from a parade is one of the methods they're using to do this, are you saying that one can only be Irish if one follows a certain religion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭blackalicious

i went to this had a really enjoyable day, great food, good weather questionable music, and lots of beer. One of the girls we were with brought a packed lunch which contained a bannana, some of my friends found this quite hilarious, the girl was not amused :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If this thread started on Africa, we must be really far from there now, lets say Canada.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement