Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa Day, Iveagh Gardens Dublin 16th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Shakespeare? Oh dear lord.

Given that Ireland doesn't really produce anything but culture (and beer, and houses that nobody wants to live in),

And agriculture, and manufacturing, and financial services, all of which are vastly larger contributors to the exchequer than the orts.
    I can see why there might be some government incentive to fund the arts at home...Especially since so many of the country's greatest cultural icons have historically left for Continental Europe and beyond.

But you don't see the incentive to cut the arts funding in the context of borrowing half a billion weekly?
    The cost of one American to spend a year here on a cultural exchange is less that Irish taxpayers spend in 6 months for your lazy-ass TDs to get driven around in Mercs. Yes everyone needs to make cuts, but they should start at the top, and I have yet to see that happen.

Why is this either/or? Let's do both.
    And in the meantime, why cut an event that is family-friendly and open to the public? There aren't enough of those in Dublin AT ALL.

I refer you to my previous question: why an Africa Day and not an America Day, or better still an Ireland or Europe Day?
    Irish leaders talk about wanting a knowledge economy, but part of what makes knowledge "clustering" work is that they are in areas where highly skilled creative people want to actually live (San Francisco, for example). Ireland has traditionally been hopelessly provincial, but has changed a lot over the last decade. It still has a loooooooooong way to go, however, as many of the attitudes here make clear.

Relevance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Incorrect. I stand by everything I wrote.

No, I was talking about Africa. Do try to keep up.

So you're equivocating? Wunderbar.
    Still waiting for you to provide some evidence for that slur. .

I already did.
    What if I start calling you a bigot, just for the craic? .

Tis true I'm deeply bigoted against racists. Just remember to use quotes and links. There should be a few on this very thread to get you started....

What word wasn't 'made up' by some person? And who made you arbiter of which words are well-made or not?.

The Non-Knuckle-Dragging Anti-Racist Society.

It's spelt 'religions', firstly.?.

Danke, Mein GrammattenFuhrer
    Secondly, there was a float with people from different nations on it. There weren't any religions on it. .

You stated he said
    There will be a float entitled 'City Fusion' in the parade, celebrating 20 different nationalities and 14 different religions will be represented on that."

from the context it was clear what he meant. Are you saying he lied? Have you proof he lied?

theboxer wrote: »
    Can you provide a link for that?

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83512

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Come on lads, can we have a bit of decorum?.

A lad comes on here to let you know about an african culture day, and all we get is a discussion about racism and off topic junk.

Seriously?.

They seem to have some people supporting them.
    http://www.africaday.ie/Supporters.aspx

I wonder if they fund the "orts" too.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    So you're equivocating? Wunderbar.

Are you German?
    I already did.

No, you didn't. Perhaps you could support your assertion? Just for a change, like.

from the context it was clear what he meant. Are you saying he lied? Have you proof he lied?

It's clear he meant the float had people 'celebrating' their nationalities who happened to be of varying unnamed religions.

DubMedic wrote: »
    Come on lads, can we have a bit of decorum?.

A lad comes on here to let you know about an african culture day, and all we get is a discussion about racism and off topic junk.

Seriously?.

Take it up with the racists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

They seem to have some people supporting them.

Africa day 16th May - 30th May. If the africans want to celebrate their culture, let them foot the bill.

No, you didn't. Perhaps you could support your assertion? Just for a change, like.

There you go.
    Ye might as well go. Ye're paying for it, via the Dept of Foreign Affairs and other state bodies.
    We don't have an America Day or an Asia Day or (God forbid) a Europe Day paid for by the state (to the tune of hundreds of thousands of euro, incidentally.)
    The same state turned our national day, a religious feast day for Catholics and Anglicans, into a multiculti propaganda fest of 'New Irish' floats while banning any references to Christianity in the Dublin parade.
    So go along, and celebrate the only culture our state agencies don't actively wish to destroy - the non-indigenous cultures of a far-off continent with little in common with Ireland, few historical connections relatively speaking, and slender achievements.

Please explain
    by the way.

O, and be as good as to acknowledge you were wrong about Shakespeare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Yes please do

• Advertisement

There you go.

Again, I have to ask you what is racist about asking why we pay for an Africa Day and not a Europe or America Day?
    Please explain
    by the way.

It appears to be a list of supporters. What do you need explained?

Shakespeare was a self-made, self-educated individual who got his hands dirty building, taking down and rebuilding theatres, who wrote and acted for his living, receiving his money from his share of the company and the gate at the door, and whose company were given protection by the Lord Chamberlain and subsequently James VI because travelling theatre companies had a bad reputation in Elizabethan-era England.
    At no point in his life did he receive a government grant and I defy you to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

orourkeda wrote: »
    When are we having a go back to Africa day?

You needn't wait; you can head off any time you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Are the PC Brigade going to this? Sounds like the kind of thing the PC Brigade might go to.
    I've occassionally been mistaken for one of the PC Brigade on this site; in reality i've never even met another member of that organisation.
    Might go along to see if they are represented there.
    Anyone know how they identify themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

And agriculture, and manufacturing, and financial services, all of which are vastly larger contributors to the exchequer than the orts.

But you don't see the incentive to cut the arts funding in the context of borrowing half a billion weekly?

Why is this either/or? Let's do both.

I refer you to my previous question: why an Africa Day and not an America Day, or better still an Ireland or Europe Day?

Relevance?

Yes the economy stinks right now, but I'd argue that an event like this is perfect for these times in that it's a way for people to get out and enjoy an afternoon with their friends and families. It's also an "accessible" cultural event in a way that an esoteric modern art exhibition in a closed off gallery might not be, so in lean times it may actually be a better use of money set aside to promote culture.

Maybe there is not a Europe Day because the EU hasn't bothered to organize one. The French worked with the Irish government to organize a cultural festival that lasted for three days, and the American Embassy and Irish government frequently host free co-sponsored events. I've been to many of these kinds of events and I haven't even lived in Ireland for a year - maybe you need to get on more email lists or get out more.

And an "Ireland Day" - are you kidding? There is an Irish Food Festival, an Irish Film Festival, an Irish Dance Festival (going on now), etc., etc. Every month there are events devoted exclusively to celebrating Irish culture. Yet your knickers are in a twist because ONE day of the year is spent on a festival that covers over 50 countries. It is free to the public, family-friendly, there are loads of musical acts coming, and there will be good food. WHAT ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

Ye might as well go. Ye're paying for it, via the Dept of Foreign Affairs and other state bodies.
    We don't have an America Day or an Asia Day or (God forbid) a Europe Day paid for by the state (to the tune of hundreds of thousands of euro, incidentally.)
    The same state turned our national day, a religious feast day for Catholics and Anglicans, into a multiculti propaganda fest of 'New Irish' floats while banning any references to Christianity in the Dublin parade.
    So go along, and celebrate the only culture our state agencies don't actively wish to destroy - the non-indigenous cultures of a far-off continent with little in common with Ireland, few historical connections relatively speaking, and slender achievements.

Bitter much?

I think we should have a day for every nationality just to make it fair!
    Oh and I know this forum is open to people airing just about any view they wish, but it makes me a little sad to see the volume of racist comments growing lately. Very bad reflection on us!

Shakespeare was a self-made, self-educated individual who got his hands dirty building, taking down and rebuilding theatres, who wrote and acted for his living, receiving his money from his share of the company and the gate at the door, and whose company were given protection by the Lord Chamberlain and subsequently James VI because travelling theatre companies had a bad reputation in Elizabethan-era England.
    At no point in his life did he receive a government grant and I defy you to prove otherwise.

:rolleyes:
    I guess you never heard about his patrons, self made hardly.
    ascanbe wrote: »
    Are the PC Brigade going to this? Sounds like the kind of thing the PC Brigade might go to.
    I've occassionally been mistaken for one of the PC Brigade on this site; in reality i've never even met another member of that organisation.
    Might go along to see if they are represented there.
    Anyone know how they identify themselves?

I heard they have a van.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You needn't wait; you can head off any time you like.

You will need a work permit. It is very difficult to get through immigration control without the correct paperwork.:)

What arts will be on show tomorrow?:confused: A few yams, some singing and dancing, what else?

If potatoes, singing and dancing aren't cultural art forms, then what the **** do people come to Ireland for? It ain't the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Take it up with the racists.

Just because someone has an issue with the state funding an event that happens to be about Africa doesn't mean he/she's racist.

There are many, many events that the State fund that I regard as a complete and utter waste of taxpayers money. This is one of them-not because it has to do with Africa-but because it is just another expenditure that we don't need in this economic environment. If they State were wasting cash on "Dublin Day" I'd be equally annoyed.

Don't be so quick to label people who don't agree with your point of view racist, it's such an emotive word that is seldom correctly used on boards.

segaBOY wrote: »
    Just because someone has an issue with the state funding an event that happens to be about Africa doesn't mean he/she's racist.

There are many, many events that the State fund that I regard as a complete and utter waste of taxpayers money. This is one of them-not because it has to do with Africa-but because it is just another expenditure that we don't need in this economic environment. If they State were wasting cash on "Dublin Day" I'd be equally annoyed.

Don't be so quick to label people who don't agree with your point of view racist, it's such an emotive word that is seldom correctly used on boards.

Sorry but I dont see such posts about Chinese new year.

It is racist.

• Advertisement

diddledum wrote: »
    Bitter much?

I think we should have a day for every nationality just to make it fair!

Oh and I know this forum is open to people airing just about any view they wish, but it makes me a little sad to see the volume of racist comments growing lately. Very bad reflection on us!

:rolleyes: And you're happy to waste money on these days? For God's sake, what a silly idea. Fair enough, if a group representing a nationality wants to hold their own day work away, I wouldn't object, but when the State decides to fund it it's just a waste of taxpayers money that could be used better elsewhere.

Yes the economy stinks right now, but I'd argue that an event like this is perfect for these times in that it's a way for people to get out and enjoy an afternoon with their friends and families. It's also an "accessible" cultural event in a way that an esoteric modern art exhibition in a closed off gallery might not be, so in lean times it may actually be a better use of money set aside to promote culture.

Schools might be an even better use of money to promote culture, it occurs to me.
    Maybe there is not a Europe Day because the EU hasn't bothered to organize one.

So why did they bother to organise an Africa Day?
    The French worked with the Irish government to organize a cultural festival that lasted for three days, and the American Embassy and Irish government frequently host free co-sponsored events. I've been to many of these kinds of events and I haven't even lived in Ireland for a year - maybe you need to get on more email lists or get out more.

I get out plenty, thanks for your concern.
    But you raise an interesting point. What's the African governments' contribution to this great day?
    I note incidentally that we're also paying for Irish poets in Istanbul this week. Great use of our money altogether.
    And an "Ireland Day" - are you kidding? There is an Irish Food Festival, an Irish Film Festival, an Irish Dance Festival (going on now), etc., etc. Every month there are events devoted exclusively to celebrating Irish culture. Yet your knickers are in a twist because ONE day of the year is spent on a festival that covers over 50 countries. It is free to the public, family-friendly, there are loads of musical acts coming, and there will be good food. WHAT ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT?

I'm complaining about the government borrowing to pay for it.
    As the lad said earlier, if Africans want to celebrate their culture here, why aren't they paying for it? The Chinese happily did so for years with their New Year, though they were only too delighted to take the free money when it came along.

rovert wrote: »

It is racist.

Tbh I don't know is the Chinese New Year funded by the State? :confused:

Look who funds Africa Day-Irish Aid do. Would this money not be better spent helping those who are starving or dying of AIDS etc. in Africa?? :confused::confused:

It is just another waste of taxpayers money when the State is well and truely broke.

:rolleyes:
    I guess you never heard about his patrons, self made hardly.

Au contraire. When the theatres were closed due to plague in London, he wrote poems for cash. Later, when the same occurred, his troupe performed in ateliers for the aristocracy.
    But you were going to tell me about his hithertoo-unknown government grants?

Au contraire. When the theatres were closed due to plague in London, he wrote poems for cash. Later, when the same occurred, his troupe performed in ateliers for the aristocracy.
    But you were going to tell me about his hithertoo-unknown government grants?

Are you really stating he didnt have patrons?

I'm complaining about the government borrowing to pay for it.
    As the lad said earlier, if Africans want to celebrate their culture here, why aren't they paying for it? The Chinese happily did so for years with their New Year, though they were only too delighted to take the free money when it came along.

OK, I'm genuinely curious - why are so many people opposed to the idea of local or national government funding public festivals (or at least footing part of the bill)? To me, they are part of what makes living in a city so great. I love the fact that in Chicago, the entire lake front is public space, and every weekend from late May through mid September there is a free music, food, or arts festival on the lake front, or in public neighborhood parks. Blues Fest, Gospel Fest, Jazz Fest, Taste of Chicago, Latin Music Festival, etc, etc - they all bring people in from all corners of what is a very segregated city, and give us a chance to see great musicians for the cost of a train ticket and a bag lunch. And yes the city is teetering towards bankruptcy, but there would be a huge public outcry if these events were to be cancelled. Why are people in Ireland (or on this forum anyway) so opposed to this kind of thing? Should culture only be accessible to people who can pay 50 euros to go to a play or concert? :confused:

It is racist.

I hope you never experience racism. Not your definition of the word, but real, in your face aggressive, "I am gonna kick yer head in ya taig bastid", racism.

The Chinese New Year is financed by the Chinese community in Ireland. Hence, the lack of discussion. As Ive already said, if the africans, arabs, asians, Polish, Germans, or whatever want to celebrate their culture, fair enough. But they can foot the bill.

To clarify I have no problem with Africa Day. If those representing the African community want to hold a day displaying their culture and continent-great, I'd like to go and see it.

But when Government money is spent on this event when it could be used better elsewhere (as I think it could), I think it is a waste of money and in reality Irish Aid really could be using this money better abroad helping the people who need it most (especially after their budget was cut recently).

I hope you never experience racism. Not your definition of the word, but real, in your face aggressive, "I am gonna kick yer head in ya taig bastid", racism.

This makes no sense
    The Chinese New Year is financed by the Chinese community in Ireland. Hence, the lack of discussion. As Ive already said, if the africans, arabs, asians, Polish, Germans, or whatever want to celebrate their culture, fair enough. But they can foot the bill.

I admit it was a poor example, but anything African pops up out come the racists.
    To clarify I have no problem with Africa Day. If those representing the African community want to hold a day displaying their culture and continent-great, I'd like to go and see it.

But when Government money is spent on this event when it could be used better elsewhere (as I think it could), I think it is a waste of money and in reality Irish Aid really could be using this money better abroad helping the people who need it most (especially after their budget was cut recently).

It is a legitmate complaint but a few people have used this explaination to mask their racism.

• Advertisement

God forbid he learns the true meaning of racism.

Might do us all a favour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement