Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa Day, Iveagh Gardens Dublin 16th May

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

The blacks have already hi-jacked our national holiday, St. Patrick's Day. Why is our tax money being used to fund another African festival? We have no cultural or historical ties with that particular continent.

Also lol @ the term "New Irish". They will never be Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

Maybe, instead of whinging about the event, you might consider attending. you never know, you might learn something & there's even the possibility that you might even have some fun.

From the sounds of it, I'd say that you could do with some.

Some of us have to work and pay tax to fund these sort of events.:)

The weather forecast isnt great for tomorrow(according to the beeb). F*ck it, I have said my bit. I hope all those who attend have a good day out with their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Nodin wrote: »
    Thats great. Now why not answer the questions put to you?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65909761&postcount=96

I already did, unlike yourself.
    I've asked repeatedly for you to retract or support your slanderous assertions of racism.
    Please do so now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So did you. You said I was racist. I object to that libellous slur and demand you retract it or attempt to support it.

So go along, and celebrate the only culture our state agencies don't actively wish to destroy - the non-indigenous cultures of a far-off continent with little in common with Ireland, few historical connections relatively speaking, and slender achievements.

O, and what 'cultures' are our state agencies actively trying to destroy....
    I have no idea.

Try harder. What kind of support do you think Royal Bank of Scotland give to Africa day?
    You don't understand what a patron was in Elizabethan theatre land, do you?

I understand exactly what it was, and what "sponsorship" means. Thats evidently put me two points ahead of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fo Real wrote: »
    The blacks have already hi-jacked our national holiday, St. Patrick's Day. Why is our tax money being used to fund another African festival? We have no cultural or historical ties with that particular continent.

Yep Paul McGrath and Phil Lynott aint Irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

It's posts like these that are racist. It's a pity posters like this cloud any rational thought regarding this topic and State money being thrown down the drain.

Apparently he received a lot of government grants.

Yep self made man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

theboxer wrote: »

The weather forecast isnt great for tomorrow(according to the beeb). F*ck it, I have said my bit. I hope all those who attend have a good day out with their families.

FWIW, I work and pay taxes and am raging I'm working tomorrow as this looks like great craic altogether. I'm trying to get the boyfriend to bring the little lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I already have, and have used the quote at least twice so far. I'd suggest glasses.

No you really have not come close to proving your accusation.

Your first post in this thread was to call someone a 'disgruntled racist type', you then said it was because of 'sweeping generalisations about africans'.

Saying that there were 'sweeping generalisations about africans' does not prove the racism accusation you are making. Maybe you would like to be more specific ? Up to the point you made the accusation which quote is the one which was racist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Let's cut to the chase here - why are we paying for an Africa Day and not an Ireland Day or a Europe Day?

Really? What would be the point of an Ireland day, we have paddys day, we all live here, we know what Ireland is like, being part of Europe most of us have experienced European culture too. So an Ireland day or European day could be a bit boring/pointless? An Africa day makes more sense, it is a foreign culture to a lot more of us than Europe so perhaps it would spark more interest with people.

If the arts council is going to waste money at all, it doesn't matter whether it's for Africa day or Ireland day or w/e, perhaps they are just trying to create something positive for the public in these recessionary times.

• Advertisement

O, and what 'cultures' are our state agencies actively trying to destroy....

The indigenous one - I gave the St Patrick's Festival example already.

Try harder. What kind of support do you think Royal Bank of Scotland give to Africa day?

I. Don't. Know. Do you?
    I understand exactly what it was, and what "sponsorship" means. Thats evidently put me two points ahead of you.

Then you understand that the lend of a man's good name to secure safe passage, or the sale of written work or performing in someone's house does not amount to a government grant or anything like it.

Millicent wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that the government shouldn't sponsor or fund any cultural events? Or just none that celebrate other ethnicities?

I see little or no benefit from this in the long term. How will african culture benefit the Irish state? If the state is going to sponsor a festival, why just have an african festival?

I've asked repeatedly for you to retract or support your slanderous assertions of racism.
    Please do so now.

Libel. Only if false, which the post 125 above clearly indicates is not the case.

You still haven't admitted you were wrong on Shakespeare, you still haven't explained what support was rendered by the companies listed via link earlier.

Then you understand that the lend of a man's good name to secure safe passage, or the sale of written work or performing in someone's house does not amount to a government grant or anything like it.

What was the equilvant of a government grant/sponsership back then?

Libel. Only if false, which the post 125 above clearly indicates is not the case.

You still haven't admitted you were wrong on Shakespeare, you still haven't explained what support was rendered by the companies listed via link earlier.

Could you not be the bigger man and just get back on topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Everybody who lives in Ireland pays taxes, whether they are working or not.

The funding for this event comes from Irish Aid who have a budget of around €670 million per year for overseas aid. The cost of this event, I don't know, but I'm certain that it is a very small fraction of that budget & seeing as it's an event to raise awareness & education about Africa Day, I don't really know why there's such a big objection to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

When can the state expect its ROI?

The Irish community in Boston, New York etc helps fund the Saint Patricks Days parade in their respective cities. Also, remember that Saint Patricks Day is an all inclusive event. All cultures are celebrated and involved in the parade.

These cities pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in police overtime, set-up of guard rails, street cleaning, etc. Not to mention the fact that they re-route traffic in the center of the nation's largest cities...or the fact that the country's biggest St Patricks Day parades still do not allow gays to participate openly. The fact that St Patrick's Day is now considered anywhere near inclusive in the US is a relatively new phenomenon; Boston and South Side Chicago Irish were not historically known for their "inclusiveness" of outsiders. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Africa Day tomorrow, especially since it sounds like the cranks will just stay home. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

rovert wrote: »
    This makes no sense.

+1.

Neither does this (to me):
    You will need a work permit. It is very difficult to get through immigration control without the correct paperwork.:)

White Europeans don't need work permits to enter Africa. They just waltz in, rape the women, take what they want, and leave with slaves.

Or was there another meaning I'm missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

When can the state expect its ROI?

Have you never heard of investment in people? People reciprocate, you make them feel worthy and welcome, they are more likely to prosper and give back to society, not hard to understand surely?
    The Irish community in Boston, New York etc helps fund the Saint Patricks Days parade in their respective cities. Also, remember that Saint Patricks Day is an all inclusive event. All cultures are celebrated and involved in the parade.

So only the Irish and the Irish alone fund St Patrick's day celebrations worldwide. That's quite something!

Morlar wrote: »

Saying that there were 'sweeping generalisations about africans' does not prove the racism accusation you are making. Maybe you would like to be more specific ? Up to the point you made the accusation which quote is the one which was racist ?

I've given the quote three times. Try reading the posts. You actually thanked the one in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I see little or no benefit from this in the long term. How will african culture benefit the Irish state? If the state is going to sponsor a festival, why just have an african festival?

How about how it benefits its people? The kids that get to do arts and crafts or watch the puppets shows or the adults who get to experience new food and music and literature and spoken word? I think it looks like a great day out.

And the state has many, many festivals annually which others have pointed out. None of them are pointless either.

I'm leaving this before it turns into a mud slinging contest.

My views are that the cash spent on this event by Irish Aid (no matter what amount) could be better spent abroad in countries that really need it.

Good night.

It's certainly false. Support it or retract.

Are you remedial? YOU were wrong about Shakespeare. Or will you magic up some imaginary government grants to go along with the imaginary racism you bestow on those you disagree with?
    And as I've stated twice already, I have no idea what support Africa Day receives from anyone other than Irish Aid, where the support is financial, to the tune of hundreds of thousands of euro, which we borrowed on international markets this week at dangerous interest rates.

segaBOY wrote: »
    Could you not be the bigger man and just get back on topic?

And let the various racist remarks go? No.

Please do so now.

Slander is spoken.

Dont make me correct you on another thing.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    White Europeans don't need work permits to enter Africa. They just waltz in, rape the women, take what they want, and leave with slaves.

Now, that is a racial generalisation. Which will probably be ignored.

EDIT- Of course, Nodin thanked the post.

rovert wrote: »
    What was the equilvant of a government grant/sponsership back then?

A gift from the king.
    Shakespeare on the other hand wrote plays and performed them for cash.

It's certainly false. Support it

I've already done so.
    Are you remedial? YOU were wrong about Shakespeare. .

I was correct and provided various sources to show that.
    And as I've stated twice already, I have no idea what support Africa Day receives from anyone other than Irish Aid, where the support is financial, to the tune of hundreds of thousands of euro, which we borrowed on international markets this week at dangerous interest rates.

Do you think those companies were picked at random and put there for the laugh?

A gift from the king.

....and Queen. Both Elizabeth and James were patrons of Shakespeare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Are you fo real?

The whole human race originated in Africa.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement