Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC’s ‘Ashes to Ashes’

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh right, yeah. Didn't know his name :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Teasey

I think that's really significant - and it works with the theory that they're all in "limbo" for the want of a better word

It's kine in S2 when alex was struggling not to forget - they're all there so long they don't remember that this is not real. but they are still all there for a reason and they get their LOM moment when they have finally achieved whatever that is....

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

Remember in the first episode
    When Alex is looking at her 2008n self in the coma, the TV screen shows BBC News 24 talking about a police officer found in a shallow grave? Is this linked the half-face man she keeps seeing?

Maybe - My thinking is that that's Gene. I think Gene is dead. He has trouble accepting change and has constructed this world around him because he doesn't want to "move on" - he needs other people around him to keep the world he has made going. So he has built up a loyal team that won't leave him

That's why there's been a theme of trying to make people move away from Gene. It's only by getting away from him that you can either "move on" (which may be what the stars are all about) or else get better.

People are stuck there cos they have unfinished business - And Shaz an Ray have now conquered theirs but have decided to stay there with Gene anyway

Maybe Sam realised all of this and finally moved on - that's why he's gone from that world but no body was found...

Alex sorted her unfinished business in S1, but she's still there - so maybe she has to help Gene undestand all of this and finally accept it

Or maybe I'm thinking about this WAY too much and I'm totally wrong!!! :D

I reckon she has went back to the past myself, similar to the way the protagonist in quantum leap used to. she has taken the place of another being in 1983. I don't think its a constructed world in her head. I think all these characters are 'real' in and 1983 is running in a parallel with the modern day.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I have LOADS of holes in my theory so it's interesting to hear other's take on it...

God this is wrecking my head. I have no patience at all - I just want to know now!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Any possibility that all of the main characters (Alex, Gene, Chris, Ray, Shaz, Sam) are all in neighbouring hospital beds in a coma in the present day, and they are sharing their experiences? Jim could be some sort of kooky mad professor character who is trying an experimental procedure to revive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

And why, having woken up in 2008, didn't Alex check to see whether Gene Hunt existed in that universe?

Mr E wrote: »
    Any possibility that all of the main characters (Alex, Gene, Chris, Ray, Shaz, Sam) are all in neighbouring hospital beds in a coma in the present day, and they are sharing their experiences? Jim could be some sort of kooky mad professor character who is trying an experimental procedure to revive them.

he could be trying to revive Alex just like
    the surgeon guy in LOM was trying to revive Sam

I dont believe Gene, Chris , Ray, Shaz, Annie are simultaneously in a coma.

And why, having woken up in 2008, didn't Alex check to see whether Gene Hunt existed in that universe?

thats so true or Sam in LOM. and youd think sams mother would have remembered a detective who looked the spitting image of her son from 1973

• Advertisement

Well, say if they were in a coma....

I agree that Keats is very like that character in LOM. So, maybe (and this is going out on a wild limb here so feel free to shoot me down) Jim is something like a priest, or the hospital chaplain or something. He's trying to convince the people to move away from the influence of Gene, which could be the think that's keeping them there

So say they are all in Limbo - Jim wants them to leave there (and leave Gene) and "move on" - it would be a nice twist that Jim, who comes across as the baddie, is actually the ultimate goodie and trying to help them all get rid of their demons rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Another top episode...only 4 left......I thought Jim easing Louise into her death was significant......and.....

Drake"Good shot"
    Hunt"I aimed for her leg"

hehe.....

Genes one liners tonight were brilliant and the little....
    thank you to keats was hillarious

Chris didnt have his LOM moment.
    Gas the way Jim is blaming Gene for police corruption and brutality. Where was he when Supermac was running the show?
    I think myself he exists as a younger self in 1983 just as Martin Summers did.

Drake"Good shot"
    Hunt"I aimed for her leg"

hehe.....

didnt half LMAO at that.Fair gas when his counterpart DCI said
    "Nice tits" to alex then alex said to gene " did you hear what he just said??", then gene said "cut him some slack, hes a cripple!!" or something to that effect
    lol!!!

EDIT: next week
    an old foe from GMP arrives in fenchurch east similar to Jackie Queens episode last year

Not really a spoiler....it was on the clip after the credits.It's doing my nut between this and Lost......everything seems to be symbolic....and John Simm had better show up before the end.....not in Lost of course.

Not really a spoiler....it was on the clip after the credits

for people who may have missed tonight's episode but when they check their email i decided not to spoil what happened or whats gonna happen. im looking at it from that point of view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I never look at the trailer for next week. Does my head in, all that pre-selling crap.

I was half expecting Jim to somehow magic the dying cop back to life, I dunno why!

mike65 wrote: »

I was half expecting Jim to somehow magic the dying cop back to life, I dunno why!

Alex done it with Shaz in S01 E07. Dont see why not!! :D

Probably because he is some sort of agent of God......that's where I see it heading.......

Just wondering did anyone cop on in last weeks episode that a slightly edited version of the life on mars theme jingle was playing while they were showing highlights from the previous week? the 'Life-on-mars-alisation' of this series seems to be nearing full momentum.

• Advertisement

Alex: What did you say to him?

Gene: I said City are going to cane United next season

Legend! :D

EDIT: I see our own Stanley Townsend makes an appearance next week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Shockingly amazing episode. Adored the final scenes in the alley and "the truth". Bit worried about this whole "Gene killed Sam" thing because they will either....

1. Have a "twist" that he didnt which is seen coming a mile off.
    2. Carry it out and have it that Gene killed him, murdering the character they've spent the last five years establishing.

Still, the Shaz/Ray stuff is awesome (what's with the stars?). Can't wait to see how this ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thing is they didn't cane them.

Liked the "Ben Elton-a-like".

The stars, its all in the stars....

City were actually relegated in 82/83 according to here and wiki.

i think gene is possibly covering for chris or ray...but maybe Sam is not dead...perhaps he is under cover.

i seen resemblances to rays recent hostage situation in episode 3 and Sam's in LOM episode 6 series 1, the way ray tried to connect with the hostage taker.
    is their LOM moment coming after they do something 'sam would do?'

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great episode, really liked it. I still think Sam's alive and is in hiding (maybe even from Gene).

The one thing that is worrying me is the stars/astronaut aspect of this episode. Anyone who knows how Life On Mars USA ended will share my concern.....

Maybe (hopefully) a red herring.

3 to go.

Mr E wrote: »
    Great episode, really liked it. I still think Sam's alive and is in hiding (maybe even from Gene).

The one thing that is worrying me is the stars/astronaut aspect of this episode. Anyone who knows how Life On Mars USA ended will share my concern.....

Maybe (hopefully) a red herring.

3 to go.

Just watched it and was gonna post exactly that.I nearly shuddered.I expect though,that the writers are aware enough to know that even if the fanboys didn't watch LOM USA (I did) they know how it ended and that it was a monumentally sh*te ending. If they DID end it the same way I'd discard all that came before.

Great episode though.....I still think it is going to go all heaven and hell and that Sam will figure perhaps not prominently,but pivotally in the endgame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Yeah, I think Sam is alive, the fact that his body was never found....I was thinking that again he went back to his own time and Gene helped him. But surely Alex would've known that he did arrive back somewhere. I don't know, I do think he'll make an appearance at the end though.

I watched the first episode of US Lom. I didn't get into it. For anyone that did watch it, what did you think? Was it worth watching?

I'm loving all the theories!! It's great to have a TV prog that gets people so involved - fantastic writing

On the "astronaut" thing - in an interview before the start of the series, Matthew Graham said we shouldn't read too much into something Ray says in ep 5 (I'll try find a link) so I'm guessing that these hints are being put in as a little dig at the horrifficly bad US LOM ending rather than them actully going down that road themselfs. Well lets hope so anyway!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Liked the "Ben Elton-a-like".

The stars, its all in the stars....

was that Jason (of the fishing trip) from Gavin and Stacey - it was only when the poor git was on the slab that I copped who he was.............excellent ep on Friday.........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was it just me or was that a deliberate Twin Peaks pastiche in the club? I kept expecting a giant to tell Alex it was happening again.

Advertisement