Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC’s ‘Ashes to Ashes’

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

That was something else wasn't it? Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pub as portal, makes sense to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sheehy898

EPIC!!!!!!!!!SIMPLY EPIC!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Perfect.

My only question is what decade Chris died in.......absolutely fantastic ending......it all starts again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am I the only one who was a tad disappointed? Especially the silly ending of bringing in another potential Sam Tyler asking for his iPhone.

The episode was grand.. nothing special.. but the ending was a bit silly!

Sorry, but it wasn't a patch on the ending of 'Life on Mars' in my eyes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

That was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

So, if I get this right, Alex has died. Nelson is some kind of gatekeeper and when it was right for all of them to die he took them into the Railway Arms. Gene Hunt is someone who helps Policemen cross over to the "good" side where as Jim Keats helps them go to hell.

An interesting end to the series, and one which I saw coming, although I was more surprised by some things then others
    Disappointing that Alex didn't get to wake up
    Major disappointing that we didn't get to see Sam Tyler one last time, or Annie

I did enjoy the very end though - pity they're not going to do anything with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

basquille wrote: »
    Am I the only one who was a tad disappointed? Especially the silly ending of bringing in another potential Sam Tyler asking for his iPhone.

The episode was grand.. nothing special.. but the ending was a bit silly!

Ya, the probably could have wrapped Genes story up too instead of new Sam, but overall I'm happy. Still have questions though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

My only question is what decade Chris died in.......
    1960's...he said 'Fab' quite a lot.

My only question is what decade Chris died in.......absolutely fantastic ending......it all starts again.....

Looked modern enough, and Chris seemed to hint in a previous episode he knew about Nelson Mandella's release as fact when it was mentioned to him...I think he's from modern day

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who was a tad disappointed?

I would guess yes.

I liked that, but I was upset we never found out about the crazy guy at the start of Ashes to Ashes, who was he on the phone too and what was the connection with Alex's parents...who did he call and why did he know Alex

I liked that, but I was upset we never found out about the crazy guy at the start of Ashes to Ashes, who was he on the phone too and what was the connection with Alex's parents...who did he call and why did he know Alex
    That's nothing... just wait til all the loose ends when 'Lost' finishes early Monday morning! :D

Chris was wearing a rather "old school" version of the uniform, was there a musical clue a la Shaz?, I canne remember

mike65 wrote: »
    Chris was wearing a rather "old school" version of the uniform, was there a musical clue a la Shaz?, I canne remember

Oasis - Wonderwall was playing when Shaz was stabbed

Exactly, so was Chris sent off with a musical hint?

the Digitalspy site has collapsed!

Take the first ten minutes of the episode, and the clues are all there: Chris hears music. Shaz sees the screwdriver that she’s been stabbed with. Ray is grabbing his neck at one point. “We’ve lost sight of who we are” Gene Hunt said in the first 10 minutes. Boy, he was bang on the mark there. The next 50 minutes after that proved it.

Layton...he was already dead and knew it....I would say that can be said for why Thordy knew all about Sam...and Alex' perception of her situation....they were just more aware of their predicament than the coppers were....even Gene had forgotten.........

I'm super happy...I have the feeling if I went back and watched the whole lot from the start I wouldn't be left with a huge amount of plot holes....a brilliant finish!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Well i thought that for once a series ended "just right" - well written and gave all the characters we came to know and love fitting endings. not just endings but also explained why they sometimes did what they did - e.g. ray with the soldier earlier in the series. Gave the characters meaning i guess.

And (hopefully) they can , like a good book, put it on the shelf and be proud of what they did instead of trying to repeat the magic. they did it once and i must admit i was doubtful of ashes , but they did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Looked modern enough, and Chris seemed to hint in a previous episode he knew about Nelson Mandella's release as fact when it was mentioned to him...I think he's from modern day

He was talking to some dude on a bench and he said that Alex had told him that Nelson Mandella was going to be released. Remember seeing that!

Missed out on some of the dialouge due to the Mother trying to speak to me to which I replied ....WOMAAAAAAN SSSSSSSHHHHH! :o Ooops. I'll make her a cup of tea and say sorry :D

Like the idea of the pub as well.

But come on people we should all be in mourning here!!!! The flippin Quattro is DEAD :eek:

audi_999552c.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    the Digitalspy site has collapsed!
    Probably due to the morons on there..

.. I went on at 10pm on the dot:
    Errr.. I don't get it?
    Can someone explain the last 5 minutes?
    Save them Sam!
    I was on the phone... who's this Gene Hunt guy?
    So... I could understand everything up to the 'It's a Knockout' skit... anyone care to explain what happened after that?

And my reaction..

facepalm3.jpg

Would have loved a John Simm appearance... in some form or another! :(

I'm glad reports of his apparence were wrong, it would have unbalnced the ending a bit. This was about Bolly, Chris, Ray and Shaz (and Gene who now has some iphone bothering goon to deal with!)

Here's one thing for you, at one point Gene says his name is Nigel, and then says he's only joking....but....

St Michael the Archangel is the Patron Saint of Policemen

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well that was better than I expected - they did a damned good job with this and I felt the ending was very fitting! That Guardian article did a good job of summing it and I like the idea of Gene Hunt as a sort of lost soul helping out other coppers. Fine performances all round too - their reactions to their deaths were particularly moving (esp. Montserrat's Shaz).

Now I believe they had this ending in mind all along but... why was Gene in Sam's past as we saw in Season 1? He is some sort of guardian sure but how did she see him in her past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EveS

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/may/21/ashes-to-ashes-final-episode
    Interview with the creator in the Guardian gives a nice explanation...

EveS wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/may/21/ashes-to-ashes-final-episode
    Interview with the creator in the Guardian gives a nice explanation...
    Great in-depth interview to be honest..

Here's one thing for you, at one point Gene says his name is Nigel, and then says he's only joking....but....

St Michael the Archangel is the Patron Saint of Policemen

I don't get the link between Michael and Nigel??...
    ixoy wrote: »
    I believe they had this ending in mind all along but... why was Gene in Sam's past as we saw in Season 1? He is some sort of guardian sure but how did she see him in her past?

You mean Alex yea?....isn't it Genes' world?....it all turns out to be his story and it goes how he wants it to so he can get them where they need to go.....that's what I got from it anyway.

I thought it was a nice touch to not have the intro voiceover or even opening credits.....it felt like a stand alone epilogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭8mv

Started following this series late, but loved it. Some day I'll go back to LOM and enjoy the whole thing.

Advertisement