Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC’s ‘Ashes to Ashes’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I have never wanted two characters to just KISS already!!! arrrgghhh soo close.

*Hops over to iplayer to check out episodes*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

1273871624122.jpg

For what it's worth, I think it's meant to be Sam but I don't think that's John Simm....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

1273871624122.jpg

For what it's worth, I think it's meant to be Sam but I don't think that's John Simm....

That shot has to be a flashback or dream sequence....Gene burned the jacket and even if he didn't Sam wouldn't it be wearing it 10 years later.

I think it is John Simm though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spoilers? I'm not looking at this thread if you're spilling details!

It's a screencap from tonights episode Mike so it's not a spoiler.

• Advertisement

Wow. Just watched it. My head is just fried now.
    Looks like its going to end back near Manchester which is apt. Maybe this cop is neither gene or Sam but perhaps a cop Sam killed and cant live with the guilt of doing so, i dunno. the cop with half a face is obviously the cop that was found in the shallow grave in Lancs in 2008, but who is it? Was Keats the man who took the photographs or was it this faced half cop?

Im hoping whatever happens it will be a finale that sums up the whole series and the plaudits it has earned over the years. to date it is one of the best shows the beeb or anyone has ever produced but i hope graham and pharaoh have done it the justice it deserves.

Great to see 'True' from the ballet get a play. Song was number 1 day i was born :D

.Gene burned the jacket and even if he didn't Sam wouldn't it be wearing it 10 years later.

Maybe Gene popped down to m&s and got him another. He prob gets them for free for those ads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,813 ✭✭✭✭Basq

RichTea wrote: »
    Can I just voice my utter frustration with the character of Jim Keats? I hate him. That's probably a credit to the writers for making him so bloody dastardly.
    Daniel Mays has been an absolute revelation.. he's been utterly fantastic in it!
    ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I have never wanted two characters to just KISS already!!! arrrgghhh soo close.
    Not me.. it'd just be downright silly to tack on a Gene and Alex kiss.

I don't think we'll be seeing John Simms in the finale - the person banging on the glass certainly looks like John Simms but I don't think it's him.

I don't think Sam is hiding out in the farmhouse.. I do reckon that the cop with half-a-face either lived there, was murdered there or buried there.

Here's hoping they can wrap up the series with a satisfying conclusion that pleases fans.. I do think this will be a difficult task.

Still, the best season of 'Ashes to Ashes' by FAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

It's a screencap from tonights episode Mike so it's not a spoiler.

No, it wasn't from last night's episode, it was from the preview of next week's episode, which I deliberately did not watch because I didn't want it spoiled :(
    basquille wrote: »
    Daniel Mays has been an absolute revelation.. he's been utterly fantastic in it!

Not me.. it'd just be downright silly to tack on a Gene and Alex kiss.

I don't think we'll be seeing John Simms in the finale - the person banging on the glass certainly looks like John Simms but I don't think it's him.

I don't think Sam is hiding out in the farmhouse.. I do reckon that the cop with half-a-face either lived there, was murdered there or buried there.

Here's hoping they can wrap up the series with a satisfying conclusion that pleases fans.. I do think this will be a difficult task.

Still, the best season of 'Ashes to Ashes' by FAR!

Agree that Daniel Mays is fantastic.

Hugely disagree that a Gene/Alex kiss would be 'tacked on' - this has been building for the last three seasons!

I can't wait for Friday - but at the same time I'll be really sad to see one of my favourite shows come to an end. Definitely a show I'll be buying the box set of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I've only watched a few episodes of season two and one episode of this last series so i'm not gonna watch any more episodes as it will spoil it for me. I bought Series 1 Box Set in Nottingham during the week for £15, bargain! Interesting that Series 2 is priced at £30 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

grenache wrote: »
    I've only watched a few episodes of season two and one episode of this last series so i'm not gonna watch any more episodes as it will spoil it for me. I bought Series 1 Box Set in Nottingham during the week for £15, bargain! Interesting that Series 2 is priced at £30 though.

Ashes to Ashes was slow to take off, and most consider series 2 superior to series 1. Series 1 DVDs probably didn't sell in the numbers expected at the time following the huge success of Life on Mars.

5. Nelson is a bigger character, much much bigger character, then we have EVER given him credit for
    then again nelson couldn't comprehend the idea of a TV in a pub even when Sam suggested it for watching the sport

EDIT: What i mean is while he may be wise, he cant be from the future on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

seeing sam in the jacket could be the sam of 73 not 83, a vision or something,

many surprises tonight, like

life on mars music being played to image of chris
    no copper with half a face(possibly a young tyler)
    everyone seein stars, even ray, (though no number significance)
    the news report

then again nelson couldn't comprehend the idea of a TV in a pub even when Sam suggested it for watching the sport

EDIT: What i mean is while he may be wise, he cant be from the future on that basis.

If Nelson had said "yea that's an idea...reminds me of multi screens in hooters!"....it would have been akin to the Doc letting Marty keep the almanac......Nelson is smarter than that.

is this screenshot of DCI bevans minus the moustache for next week episode?
    here

this is a photo of the actor who plays him
    Link

if it is he is then he is very significant to the plot significant given what Gene told him (not that city would cane united :))

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

I don't think thats him. Friday's crime story is about a gang of diamond thieves so that man is more than likely one of them. From the look of that screenshot and the trailer, it seems Shaz is undercover as an air stewardess at an airport. I wonder how they're going to fit that story and all the big relevation type stuff into an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Opened the paper that was sitting on the table in the pub yesterday.
    In it a screenshot from Fridays episode :mad:

That will teach me to read newspapers!!!! >.<

I'm staying away from all tv/papers/this thread until after Friday! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭mountain

Lost may have a whole sub section to its self, but for many of us this is just as important!!!

I cant imagine that Gene will turn out to be a "baddie" if he is, i for one will be paraphrasing the words said to Shoeless Joe Jackson, "say it aint so gene!"

Im not sure whats going to happen, it would be nice if sam tyler is still alive, but what would that mean for Ray, Shaz etc.
    anyhow, as long as we are not left hanging, and Gene remains a good guy I will be happy.

link for shoeless Joe:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoeless_Joe_Jackson

mountain wrote: »

I cant imagine that Gene will turn out to be a "baddie" if he is, i for one will be paraphrasing the words said to Shoeless Joe Jackson, "say it aint so gene!"

turning gene into a bad guy is like turning del boy into one. its just should not be done. he is one of the great tv characters of all time. even if he is a villain i still think he is one of the great characters
    i have actually butterflies in my stomach at the thoughts of how it will end. god i really need to get a life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I wonder if the diamonds are going to be anything to do with the stars visions? Will there be some kind of scattering of them during a shoot out...so it's like some kind of premonition? Is that a daft idea?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Huge spoilers here

http://www.lastbroadcast.co.uk/tv/reviews/v/11360-ashes-to-ashes-series-3-episode-8.html
    Apparently, Gene Hunt is not Genes real name :eek::eek:

omahaid wrote: »
    Huge spoilers here

http://www.lastbroadcast.co.uk/tv/reviews/v/11360-ashes-to-ashes-series-3-episode-8.html

Im starting to wonder
    Is Gene actually Sam Tyler??? did he go back himself in time?

thought id spoiler that out in case im on to something :)

omahaid wrote: »
    Huge spoilers here

If it's
    Major Tom Tyler
    I'll go on a killing spree....anything else should be alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

OK, so tonight is the night, and I'll be honest - and the first one to say it - I don't think we'll truly find everything wrapped up as neat as we expect. For months the producers have been saying that the final Ashes to Ashes will be clear cut, no ambiguity, and that unlike the open ended Life On Mars we will be given the truth - and Gene Hunt will have said everything he is ever going to say

I call bull****, and say that by the end most of things we think we are going to know will not have been uncovered, and at least open to interpretation

There have been so many theories that I can't even begin to suggest what in the hell it's all about, and if it really is as clear cut as policewoman shot and now in a coma. Add that to the fact that they want to add in a "villain of the week" story, to waste 45 minutes of our time before they give us the final 15 minutes of goodness...

The only thing I can say is that I'll be watching, as interested as everyone else, and saying farewell to a great show - both Life On Mars and Ashes to Ashes have made me only ever wonder one thing - what the bloody hell do I watch now!?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

My theory all along was that sam/alex had travelled back in time. Two significant things which gave me a clue.
    1. A criminal which Sam had sectioned in LOM had attempted to turn off Sam's life support in the modern day despite never being collared by the police before sam went back to 1973. there was a mention he has escaped from mental home in 2006 to try kill Sam
    2. Alex remembers Fenchurch East police station from 1981, the day her parents died and Gene supposedly was there for her the day her parents were killed. Big surprise Evan hasn't featured more in series 2 and 3. i thought he would be integral
    The thing that has always bugged me about this is that Alex would surely have investigated whether or not a Gene Hunt actually existed after reviewing Sam's case file. If she hadn't done it already this would have led back to the death of her own parents. This is why I don't find the time travel explanation plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm wondering about the significance of those seeing the stars acting as if they're frightened children, even Ray turning into a big softie. It seems completely out of character for the characters that they play (apart from Shazz, who seems too soft either way).

Then again, it could be dodgy acting.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Guardian has an interview/chat with the writer of the last episode after it ends, not sure if its live but it could be.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Enbee wrote: »
    The thing that has always bugged me about this is that Alex would surely have investigated whether or not a Gene Hunt actually existed after reviewing Sam's case file.

That's a good point but from her perspective in 2008 she just thought Sam had a dream in his coma. She knows people don't really time travel so it would never have crossed her mind to see if a Gene Hunt existed because that was irrelevant to her job. She wasn't investigating whether Sam time travelled or not, the automatic assumption was that he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

15 minutes so far and already the best episode I've seen

Oh, and a mention of Cartwright, so interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

I'm am proper gonna miss Ashes to Ashes :(

Advertisement