Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC’s ‘Ashes to Ashes’

Options
  • 24-01-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Promo here..

.. and well, my blog-entry says it all! ;)

Starts February 7th at 9:00PM on BBC1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like the direction they're taking this, Brian.... They're not starting the whole "am I back in time", "what am I doing here?" stuff that came in the first season of LOM. Keeley's character has read all of Sam's notes, diaries etc., and she knows how he got there and how he got back. She knows of Gene, Chris etc. from what she has read. That way its more a continuation of LOM, not a rehash of the same old stuff.

I think its a clever idea, but might make it harder for new people to latch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Heh.. to echo what I've replied to you with on my blog:
    Ahhhhhh… I was unaware of this Dave.

What I assumed was it was more of the predicament Sam was in.. although I was wondering how she knew of Gene, Chris and Ray.

Now that I know of that, it does provoke more of an interest in it alright.

Anyways, it’ll be worth watching just for Gene ‘The Genie’ Hunt!

No Annie or Sam though?! :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Can't access the site here - what sort of sloppy setup is going on? :) I just wrapped up 'Life on Mars' this week so I'm curious about this..

I can't understand though how they're going to handle it given that
    the original '73 was all in his head, induced by a coma
    . Or are they taking a different slant?

ixoy wrote: »
    Can't access the site here - what sort of sloppy setup is going on? :) I just wrapped up 'Life on Mars' this week so I'm curious about this..
    Can access it fine here.. but blog has been iffy. Possibly too many plugins activated. Will look into it later.

PS - Just got a hit for that article minutes after I put it up from someone searching for 'Keeley Hawes' in Google. I'm sure the search was clearly for educational purposes or biographical information.

Bet they were pissed when they got a picture of Gene, Ray and Chris (with no Keeley!). There goes another subscriber! :D

I found out about the background to A2A on Digital Spy a few days ago (they saw the first episode). Its not very spoilery (so tis safe to read), but they did like it, and they explained the background to what Keeley's character (Alex Drake) knows.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a85879/cult-spy-ashes-to-ashes-the-verdict.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nonesence of course! There is no way all three would be transfered down south. :)

The south could'nt cope. :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It is a great dissapointment to me to learn that your first name is Brian.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It is a great dissapointment to me to learn that your first name is Brian.
    Well.. SCREWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YOU! :D

Brian is my pen name... my real name is actually Agamemnon. *

* May not be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I loved the first season of Life On Mars, but it did seem to run out of steam about in the second season. The actor who played Sam was fairly annoying too.

I'll tune in, but my hopes aren't entirely high for this one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I loved the first season of Life On Mars, but it did seem to run out of steam about in the second season.
    Nooo! You can never have enough Gene Hunt! I also liked the uncertainty as to what was going on, something that will be lacking in this new show. Still a third season may have stretched that element too much,
    The actor who played Sam was fairly annoying too.
    :eek:Basquille, Mr. E ban him! He insulted John Simms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I loved Gene Hunt, but he seemed to carry the whole show at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Best ending to a cop show ever. In a Gold Cortina. :D Looking forward to Ashes to Ashes myself and the promo has whetted my appetite. That and the very fine Keeley Hawes, who I like as an actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

I thought Simm was a good balance to Glenister. We'll have to see if Hawes can prove to be a good foil. Better eye candy anyway. :rolleyes: The only annoying character was Cartwright (White). What a priss.

ixoy wrote: »

I can't understand though how they're going to handle it given that
    the original '73 was all in his head, induced by a coma
    . Or are they taking a different slant?
    Might be that reading Sam's notes has planted the seeds of imagination (i.e it informs her own comatose dreams). Or maybe it is really 1981 and 2008 hadn't happened yet. And you and I aren't really on Boards.ie because it doesn't exist and we don't exist. We are just part of an elaborate construct for Alex and Sam to believe they've come from an imaginary future.

Just a bump to remind you that Ashes to Ashes starts tonight on BBC1 at 9pm.

Having watched all 16 episodes of Mars over Christmas (and absolutely loved it), I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

w00t!

Mike.

Yaaaayyyyy..

.. oh wait, I only have RTÉ1 and RTÉ2. Thanks to fecking UPC's inability to install digital lines in my area! :mad:

Sligo tourism rep extraordinaire has spoken. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

basquille wrote: »
    Yaaaayyyyy..

.. oh wait, I only have RTÉ1 and RTÉ2. Thanks to fecking UPC's inability to install digital lines in my area! :mad:

:eek::eek: my heart goes out to you, only RTE1 and RTE 2, does not bear thinking about.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    :eek::eek: my heart goes out to you, only RTE1 and RTE 2, does not bear thinking about.
    Yep..

It's not that bad.. it's not like I have no choice. I've a choice to get the rest of the channels but I refuse to pay Chorus for shoddy analogue service (especially seeing as analogue is the same cost as digital).

So still waiting for them (for 3 months) to install digital lines.. and not allowed to install a Sky dish in apartment. Was sent an letter last October saying they were installing digital lines and still nothing - useless feckers!

.. back on topic now! :D

Brilliant fantastic lovely and thats just Keeley Hawes! :)

Great opening episode, trod a well judged line mixing humour and drama. I nearly fell off my chair when I heard I'm In Love With A German Film Star on the soundtrack.

Did I mention Ms Hawes?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

mike65 wrote: »
    Brilliant fantastic lovely and thats just Keeley Hawes! :)

Great opening episode, trod a well judged line mixing humour and drama. I nearly fell off my chair when I heard I'm In Love With A German Film Star on the soundtrack.

Did I mention Ms Hawes?

Mike.

Love Keeley also, though could not get Spooks out of my head each time I saw her.

Good opening episode, glad it is set in London this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,972 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Speaking of the music in the series, does anyone know the name of the song that played over the closing credits last night? I think it's a Roxy Music track.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I was really impressed with this.

I'd seen a good few episodes of Life on Mars but I was a bit all over the place. So I've decided to start watching this from the start. Thought it was good the way she played Hunt and co. to be total figments of her imagination. Really well down.

I'll be tuning in next week

odyssey06 - the music was Roxy Music Same Old Scene (geddit?!)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,972 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mike65 wrote: »
    odyssey06 - the music was Roxy Music Same Old Scene (geddit?!)
    Mike.

Cheers Mike. 1981 was a little before my time but I recognized most of the other tracks as they seemed to get a lot more re-play over the years :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 "V"

I missed it last nite so i was gutted because i thought LOM was fantastic so i was really looking forward to this. Does anyone know if it will be repeated on bbc 3/4 during the week like they with LOM last season?

V wrote:
    I missed it last nite so i was gutted because i thought LOM was fantastic so i was really looking forward to this. Does anyone know if it will be repeated on bbc 3/4 during the week like they with LOM last season?
    Afraid it doesn't look like it.

I did a search on TheCustard.TV (who use the same guide / engine as DigiGuide) and it's not on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

I loved last nights episodes, so many memories flooding back from the eighties - my dad had a tie just like Gene's or should that be "Gene's"!

Great opener leaving the way open for a must see season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

:eek:

I dont think i could find this forum when Life on Mars was on!
    I thought i was in a Massive minority watching it!
    Tried to get people to watch it all the way through so if i missed one i could ask about it. :)

I thought it was Good. Very similar. i se an addiction Starting!

Advertisement