Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC’s ‘Ashes to Ashes’

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Just finished 3x08 now. Great ending. I prob haven't been watching it as eagle-eyed as some of the rest of you but I never saw it coming
    that all the principles were real dead coppers (had just presumed they were some sort of figment of someones imagination).

Anyway, my question is, has anyone rewatched the show from the start to finish since the final ep, now that they know the truth? Is it like watching the show with a totally different pov and has there been any vague bits that now make perfect sense upon rewatch?

bonerm wrote: »
    Just finished 3x08 now. Great ending. I prob haven't been watching it as eagle-eyed as some of the rest of you but I never saw it coming
    that all the principles were real dead coppers (had just presumed they were some sort of figment of someones imagination).

Anyway, my question is, has anyone rewatched the show from the start to finish since the final ep, now that they know the truth? Is it like watching the show with a totally different pov and has there been any vague bits that now make perfect sense upon rewatch?

I watched a few episodes alright. picked up on some weird things. chris said "his niece collected blue peter bottle caps". how did he remember?
    Shaz mentioned "going to her mums at the weekend". i thought she didnt see her mum

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

And in season two weren't Chris and Shaz talking about their families' seating arrangements for the wedding?

And in season two weren't Chris and Shaz talking about their families' seating arrangements for the wedding?

That's right ep 07 series 2 but then gene butted in and strangely insisted on place at head table come to think of it and said "he was like a father, etc " to chris and shaz

this is hillarious though i think Glenister prbably funnier then guy taking him off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

picked up on some weird things. chris said "his niece collected blue peter bottle caps". how did he remember?

I think this was because they remembered their lives but forgot their past and present situations. For them, there was no problem with spending every day on the case, and there was no problem not visiting relatives or taking a sick day.

You remember Life On Mars, when Sam says to Ray that eating out of take away cartons and not going home is his life, well he was right...Ray didn't really do anything...and it never seemed to bother him. Neither did Chris.

They'd forgotten their past and just remembered what made them feel comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

bonerm wrote: »

Just finished watching the box set of all three series and i have to take my hat off to the BBC, its one hell of a production. One vague bit that gave us a hint is in series two when Ray is attempting to talk the arsonist fireman out of burning down the house. He (Ray) starts to rant about how he let his dad down and had made a mess of his life in the army, we now know these to be his reasons for committing suicide. Also, he and Alex are up on the roof of the police station in one of series two's episodes. Alex asks him if he's ok and Ray says that often he likes to go up there for air, that sometimes he feels like life is "choking him" - we now know this to be a reference to him hanging himself.

I find it funny that Ray, Chris and Shaz could have forgotten they are in the same situation as Gene and Alex - sure they might have put it to the back of their minds but how could have have totally obliterated it from their memories. If i was dead, and living in purgatory, i think i'd remember it!

On a final note, what i loved about the series is that it was a bit of everything mixed into one. Drama, tragedy, comedy, stupidity, etc. I found the non-PC stuff very refreshing. It reminds us of what women and minorities had to put up with before the era of political correctness/equality. Some of the one liners, from Gene and Ray in particular were hilarious. As for Bollinger Knickers DI Drake, i'd drink champagne with her any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

12 years! :eek:

Anyway [insert Gene Hunt saying here] cos it's coming back for a final short run - set in 70s, 80s and an alternative present (presumably to save on OAP CGI)

https://twitter.com/TremensDr/status/1245806461281808398

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Oh nice!

'Life on Mars' was amazing.. and while I enjoyed ‘Ashes to Ashes’, it wasn’t a patch on LoM.

Although Keeley Hawes, Daniel Mays and Philip Glenister’s performances in AtA was bloody top-notch!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Holy heck, this is 12 years old? Had a quick google of Phillip Glenister and he has aged pretty well; he has one of those old faces from relative youth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

pixelburp wrote: »
    Holy heck, this is 12 years old? Had a quick google of Phillip Glenister and he has aged pretty well; he has one of those old faces from relative youth.

I was re-watching a show from 1993 with Jasper Carrot in it called 'The Detectives'. One of the episodes has a very young Phillip Glenister, he must have been in his late 20's!

I love anything Life on Mars, there is a Spotify playlist that has all 103 songs from the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

branners69 wrote: »
    I was re-watching a show from 1993 with Jasper Carrot in it called 'The Detectives'.

Love that show also

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I just found this thread after having watched the show (both LOM and ATA) for the first time during lockdown. It's on Netflix and BritBox. Anyway, brilliant series and I loved it and can't think what I was doing ten years ago that meant I missed out the first time around. And, for once, I loved the ending and felt it tied everything up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I just found this thread after having watched the show (both LOM and ATA) for the first time during lockdown. It's on Netflix and BritBox. Anyway, brilliant series and I loved it and can't think what I was doing ten years ago that meant I missed out the first time around. And, for once, I loved the ending and felt it tied everything up nicely.

same position as you, found it on Netflix recently and it was fantastic...Gene Hunt is now one of my fave characters ever on a tv programme

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

12 years! :eek:

Anyway [insert Gene Hunt saying here] cos it's coming back for a final short run - set in 70s, 80s and an alternative present (presumably to save on OAP CGI)

https://twitter.com/TremensDr/status/1245806461281808398
    The third series will be called Lazarus.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭keepwalking

I know this thread is very old now but just in case anyone is interested, Ashes to Ashes is being taken off Netflix on 6 April 2021, in case anyone fancies a re-watch before then! :)

I've just finished watching it, and Life on Mars before it. I really enjoyed the world of the Gene Genie and Bolly Keks, and reading the theories in this thread as I was going along! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭archfi

Just finished both shows via BBC iPlayer - what the hell was I thinking missing them in the 00's (and 2010)!
    The ending was brilliant I thought - did not see that coming at all.
    Gene Hunt is some character and Glenister pulled it off spectacularly.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Advertisement