Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

In the greater scheme of things, you're probably right. But if you're not on a contract there is much less of your money going towards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Baza210 wrote: »
    In the greater scheme of things, you're probably right. But if you're not on a contract there is much less of your money going towards that.

I don't want to get away from the thread topic, but you are not entirely correct... plus ready to go billing is often a false economy.

I'm on Billpay Lite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

If that's true that could mean paid apps will finally appear within 2months then :)

I'm currently using my Nexus One on Vodafone Perfect Choice Access Plus 150.

What's the story with paid apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭28064212

PH4T wrote: »
    What's the story with paid apps?
    No access until Google decides to enable it, and no word on when that will be. The workaround is to root the phone, then install 'MarketEnabler' from the market

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

28064212 wrote: »
    No access until Google decides to enable it, and no word on when that will be. The workaround is to root the phone, then install 'MarketEnabler' from the market

Are there many good paid apps? Is that worth doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

... a Nexus online yesterday from Google and opted for the dock. Totalled about 458 euro or there abouts though the exchange rate is at the lowest for a few months at the moment. Just want to say thanks to all who had posted on here previous to me offering guidance and help on the Nexus. Yet again showing what a great resource boards is and that is purely down to all who post

Cheers

PH4T wrote: »
    Are there many good paid apps? Is that worth doing?
    Entirely dependent on what you want to do. I get along fine without them, but my needs from a phone aren't that demanding

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Sky News app coming to Android from early next week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Spoke to a guy in the Vodafone shop today - said they are definitely going to be carrying the Nexus just a matter of when

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Have to say I've spotted my first downside to the nexus; you can't use the paddy power website :(

Flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

No its they force you to the mobile site that uses wml which isn't supported by the nexus browser. Means you just see the source code to the site rather than anything usable. Pity as I was going to place a bet but just couldn't use the site. Wish there was some option of actually using the full site as opposed to being forced to the mobile version. Granted its not all the fault of the nexus but still I'd bet they aren't the only site that force you to a mobile version who've means you can't use everything online.

Anyone know if there's an option of changing the useragent string? That'd be a work around at least.

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's an option of changing the useragent string? That'd be a work around at least.
    Yes, if you download the Dolphin Browser app, it has an option to change the user-agent type to "Desktop"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

I have a gold upgrade with O2 at the moment. Should I wait for them to stock the Nexus One and get it at a (probably slightly) cheaper price, signing up to a 18 month contract (probably) at an expensive per month rate? Or should I buy one from the US or UK at a more expensive price and go for Meteor Billpay Lite and not be tied down to a contract?

To be honest I've found the gold upgrade with O2 woefully crap as at the moment if I wanted to buy get the IPhone 3gs it would be cheaper to cancel my current contract (in my mother's name) and start a new contract in my own name. I would have to sign up for 18 months contract but would get the IPhone 3gs 16gig free instead of with my 'Gold' upgrade where I would have to pay €129 for the exact same phone and contract. There is no reward for existing customers :mad:!

What would you do?

It doesn't look like O2 will be getting the Nexus One, so I would get a phone on the gold upgrade that can be unlocked and then sell it for profit on eBay, using the money from that to buy the Nx1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

It doesn't look like O2 will be getting the Nexus One, so I would get a phone on the gold upgrade that can be unlocked and then sell it for profit on eBay, using the money from that to buy the Nx1.

Unfortunately I have to sign up for an 18 month contract to get the IPhone 3gs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

My sister's friend is going to the US and said she'll get me a nexus one if I ive her the money. Anyone know how much an unlocked one costs in the US?

Also if she cant get it for what ever reason, whats the most I should pay on ebay??

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Just check the Google website for the sim-free price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

... a Nexus online yesterday from Google and opted for the dock. Totalled about 458 euro or there abouts though the exchange rate is at the lowest for a few months at the moment. Just want to say thanks to all who had posted on here previous to me offering guidance and help on the Nexus. Yet again showing what a great resource boards is and that is purely down to all who post

Cheers

how did you order it from google? it just says "not available in your country" when i get check it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

how did you order it from google? it just says "not available in your country" when i get check it

Same here.

Try this: http://www.gamaze.com/blog/2010/01/how-to-order-googles-nexus-one-smart-phone-if-you-live-outside-the-us-uk-hk-or-singapore/

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

exactly the link Lord Lucan has posted. The hotspot shield thing did the trick and then I had it shipped to a friend of mine in Michigan who will forward it to me here in Ireland. The cost all in to her place was about 458 euro I think.

Then she will forward it to me here and away I go I hope!

Nexus One spotted on O'Connell St ten minutes ago. Own up :D

Nexus One spotted on O'Connell St ten minutes ago. Own up :D

Not me,i've been home all day.:D

I actually haven't seen any about the place yet. Had it out in the pub last week and i had strangers coming over and asking was it "the google phone"?. The live wallpaper and the lightsaber app sold it to everyone.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Larry Page give everyone attending TED a free Nexus One.

http://scobleizer.com/2010/02/14/the-elephants-in-the-room-at-ted/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

lord lucan wrote: »
    Not me,i've been home all day.:D

I actually haven't seen any about the place yet. Had it out in the pub last week and i had strangers coming over and asking was it "the google phone"?. The live wallpaper and the lightsaber app sold it to everyone.:)

Saw a girl with one in Cineworld second week in Jan. Ended up shouting "That's the Google phone!!" wasn't my smoothest moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

28064212 wrote: »

Or get your hands on a UK sim and browse and download apps over WiFi

I would thank you but I'm on m.boards.ie! Now to find a free UK SIM card...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Hulkamaniac

yes sir wrote: »
    been watching everyone here talking about the nexus one,ive ordered mine from fonezonline.com so hope to have it n the next few days,didnt know wherther to go for it or the i phone but nexus won the battle,let u know what i think hope to have it for the weekend,if its all google say it is i cant wait

Hi there, did you get it yet? I'm thinking of doing the same thing?

Advertisement