Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

That's it folks no more discussion over British Isles crap.

We are here to discuss the Cold Spell and yes disparities between forecasts but i will not let anything political come into it.

That's fine but please let us refer to Ireland as Ireland only please and let the British do their own thing. Light snow shower in Castleknock, D 15.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The biggest problem is the IMBY (In My Back Yard) forecast questions because forecasting is not exact when you have these type of setups, the Irish sea can create a lot of showers that the BBC don't always seem to account for and certainly over the years I have seen that be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

jenzz wrote: »
    Croppy ...... Ill have a bit of Schfernaker as my 1000th post trophy.

Just send him fully intact in my direction & ill take good care of him lol:D:D:D PROMISE !

I'll see what strings I can pull, I have contacts! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

snowing here in ardcath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I'll see what strings I can pull, I have contacts! :p

lol - he beats our Gerry anyday ...:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Woo looking brilliant for wexford from tuesday onwards from what i can see! Well hopefully... :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

You live in ireland not The UK, met.ie for our forecasts or here

Some people obiously arnt to good at geography the British isles is not the British government it is great Britain and Ireland including the islands in and around it look it up end of

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

owenc wrote: »
    Some people obiously arnt to good at geography the British isles is not the British government it is great Britain and Ireland including the islands in and around it look it up end of

This case was closed a few posts back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

was watching the countryfile (bbc) forcast earlier. my trip to the se england towards the end of this week should be a snowy one! the forecaster also said a big event is in the pipeline for sat onwards for england?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

their predictive sequence really needs an update....massive blue blobs! you would think it was going to rain all day;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

EXTREME COLD TAKING COLD FROM SPAIN TO THE UKRAINE AND NORTH. EURO SNOWCOVER EXPANDS A NEW

SNOW STORM DOWNGRADED.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Tue/Wed seems to be the time for the most widespread snow according to the 9pm weather on RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Living on the West coast I find Met Eireann's forecasts relatively unreliable... quite regularly the opposite of what they forecast happens (particularly in the summer).

I have also notoced the propensity for met eireann's forecasts to contain generalised predictions that cover every possibility. They appear at times to have more in common with 'cold reading' and clarvoyancy than meterology. There was one forecast over christmas that gave every conceivable possibility.

The BBC weather maps predicted very accurately the snow we received here in Mayo on New Year's Eve - Met Eireann wasn't as accurate.

Just out of interest what websites (apart from here of course) do people find the most accurate regarding our weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

inabina wrote: »
    their predictive sequence really needs an update....massive blue blobs! you would think it was going to rain all day;)

And i wish they'd stop using the low-resolution rainfall radar sequence. It's fine when showing Europe, but they use the same sequence for Ireland, just zooming in so it becomes pixelated. :mad:

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

snow ghost wrote: »
    Living on the West coast I find Met Eireann's forecasts relatively unreliable... quite regularly the opposite of what they forecast happens (particularly in the summer).

I have also notoced the propensity for met eireann's forecasts to contain generalised predictions that cover every possibility. They appear at times to have more in common with 'cold reading' and clarvoyancy than meterology. There was one forecast over christmas that gave every conceivable possibility.

The BBC weather maps predicted very accurately the snow we received here in Mayo on New Year's Eve - Met Eireann wasn't as accurate.

Just out of interest what websites (apart from here of course) do people find the most accurate regarding our weather?

Weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Evening all!! well I was giving up hope of snow passing our Snow shield here in North Leitrim, and now getting all excited again for next couple of days!! neck will have repetitive strain injury looking skywards outta the velux :D

White frost here last night, in abundance. Tonight feels more promising, its warmer definitely, cloudier, and it feels fresh without being too windy... feels like snowwwwwww lol, (remaining optimistic in the face of my total ignorance of the topic lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I notice sometimes Met Eireann say things like today, sleet and snow showers will be mainly in coastal areas of the north west, north and east but could occur anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

snow ghost wrote: »

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/index.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0

just type in your town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Dp -5C
    Air temp 2.6C

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Min wrote: »
    I notice sometimes Met Eireann say things like today, sleet and snow showers will be mainly in coastal areas of the north west, north and east but could occur anywhere.

its back to the fact we live on an island and nobody can say for certain right now this time tomorrow exactly where the hail/sleet/snow will be falling. but it will be falling! give the guys a break!:D:D

• Advertisement

Not reliable im afraid,changes like the weather(pardon the pun):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS continues to want to send a pulse of heavy precip towards Midlands, Leinster tomorrw from 3pm, as it hits the cold east and southeast it turns to snow.

Dewpoints rise slightly behind it but should remain at 0c.

The the much colder air follows later in the night/ Tuesday Morning.

21-574.GIF?03-18

24-574.GIF?03-18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Light snow/hail shower here for last 15-20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Min wrote: »

Met Eireann forecasts remind me of D'unbelievables weather forecast D'weather - a kind of a mixed bag :D

I think Gerry murphy was cracked tonight when he said there was a "possibility" that the showers on wenesday would be snow..
    Only a possibility like.

Does he have a default switch installed or something?

Well WC if that precip forecast comes off i'll be very happy.
    promising because that chart fairs out well at the best of times.

The hi res UKMO seems to be singing from the same hymn sheet.

10010418_0312.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

This is for kilkenny:pac:. I knoW, thinkin way ahead:cool:

Friday, Jan 8

06.gif
    increasing clouds. Winds from the NE at 17 km/h.
    Realfeel®: -6 °C
    High: 1 °C

Friday Night, Jan 8

22.gif
    snow. Winds from the NE at 14 km/h.
    Realfeel®: -8 °C
    Low: -6 °C

Saturday, Jan 9

22.gif
    snow. Winds from the NNE at 16 km/h.
    Realfeel®: -6 °C
    High: 1 °C

Saturday Night, Jan 9

22.gif
    periods of snow. Winds from the NNE at 16 km/h.
    Realfeel®: -10 °C
    Low: -5 °C

Sunday, Jan 10

22.gif
    periods of snow. Winds from the NE at 14 km/h.
    Realfeel®: -3 °C
    High: 2 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Woah not a fan of this 18z with regards to Tuesday/Wednesday

Hope its WRONG.

Shunts the high to the NW well further SE, giving less precip to the east

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

inabina wrote: »
    its back to the fact we live on an island and nobody can say for certain right now this time tomorrow exactly where the hail/sleet/snow will be falling. but it will be falling! give the guys a break!:D:D

Is it slightly harder to forcast the weather for Ireland compared to Britain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Woah not a fan of this 18z with regards to Tuesday/Wednesday

Hope its WRONG.

Shunts the high to the NW well further SE, giving less precip to the east

Here we go..... down the slippery slope (of the wrong kind) again :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement