Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

174_24.gif

Hallejuhah fellas :D

What does this chart read ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

snow accumulation (white) - thickness is in Cm i guess e.g.6cm snow lying in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

hey Mr Wolfe...

U see anything of significance coming down to us in the mid-west this week??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Anyone know if there is any historical correlation betwen colder than average winters and warmer/sunnier summers or is that just wishfull thinking?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I see someone from the NRA must be lurking about on this forum :D

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0103/weather.html

"An extra 19,000 tonnes of grit are being imported to treat icy roads over the coming weeks, the National Road Authority has confirmed."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Those charts are experimental - and - it is snow at 400m in Dublin where not many people live;)

Amazing that we have to import grit, and don't have the resources here to tap into! What does this grit comprise of?

hey Mr Wolfe...

U see anything of significance coming down to us in the mid-west this week??:confused:
    Depends on where in the mid west you are. Higehr ground in West Limerick, West and North Clare and parts of North Tipp will see definitely snow this week. Limerick City, SE Clare and East Limerick are more likely to see snow later in the week although a dusting tomorrow night is possible.

The potential for snowfall is greater on Thursday than tomorrow night's front. However, I am unwilling to guess how much snow will fall tomorrow or during the week as the latest ensembles have confused matters.

Wait until morn Pete. Take a loot at MT Cranium's morn update, Met Eireann's update and of course the other Metheads here. The early morn runs will paint a more accurate picture than this eve's run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

snow ghost wrote: »
    Amazing that we have to import grit, and don't have the resources here to tap into! What does this grit comprise of?

Rock salt, I believe.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Those charts are experimental - and - it is snow at 400m in Dublin where not many people live;)

No use for the lower levels then !

• Advertisement

What does this grit comprise of?

it is 10mL rock salt that is delivered to Limerick Docks via the estuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Chance of light snow showers or flurries overnight.

Note that Dublin Airport is reporting light snow showers at 2300.
    Light snow falling here and I'm about 3 miles from the airport.
    I have come to the conclusion that the Rain Today radar is pure fiction, complete rubbish! Have to go now and look at that lamp post across the road!

Couple of showers coming in off the Irish Sea according to raintoday.co.uk 23.15 radar image

100774.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

-4.6c here now in Carlow town! :eek: and continuing to drop! My temperature however is continuing to rise, bloody bug! Me no feel so good, ughhhh :( Oh well, best get this out of the way before/if any snow comes! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

My OH's cousin lives in Co Leitrim, out by Manorhamilton. He, his wife and their daughter have been stuck in the house since 19th December. He managed to get out yesterday to come get supplies, said they hit -18 during the week and their oil froze. *shudders*

Is this last couple of weeks as unusual weather-wise as it seems to me? Surely this level of cold prolonged for this much time hasn't happened for an awfully long time?

I have come to the conclusion that the Rain Today radar is pure fiction, complete rubbish! Have to go now and look at that lamp post across the road!

Does not seem to be too far off on the 23.15 radar

100775.jpg

fozzle wrote: »
    My OH's cousin lives in Co Leitrim, out by Manorhamilton. He, his wife and their daughter have been stuck in the house since 19th December. He managed to get out yesterday to come get supplies, said they hit -18 during the week and their oil froze. *shudders*

Is this last couple of weeks as unusual weather-wise as it seems to me? Surely this level of cold prolonged for this much time hasn't happened for an awfully long time?

Their oil froze!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

There is radar covering the Dublin area that it depends on, but in a lot of frames it's return is missing. Therefore, on these frames, it wont show showers where there actually might be. Now, if someone handy with a spanner was to find that radar and fix it RainToday would be working a lot more reliably for Dublin.

Normal. For the '80s

fozzle wrote: »
    they hit -18 during the week and their oil froze.

glad to hear they are ok. Must have been quite traumatic.

I doubt they experienced minus 18 c temps though. That is only one degree off the all time record set in 1881. I am sure it would have at least made the Leitrim Observer last week if it had hit minus 18.

On a seperate note, the ME predictive chart shows that precip will continue until 2am at least. It is predicting 1mm per hour. That could give a Cm or two of a covering in some areas. By the way, the first signs of that Northern front are appearing.

3hr-rain.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not -18c I gather by Air Temps, but ground temps possibly.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    glad to hear they are ok. Must have been quite traumatic.

I doubt they experienced minus 18 c temps though. That is only one degree off the all time record set in 1881. I am sure it would have at least made the Leitrim Observer last week if it had hit minus 18.

Just looking on google there ,

Oil can freeze around -10c

mad DIY wrote: »
    Normal. For the '80s

What temp does heatng oil usually freeze at Mad DIY?

I presume electricity can't freeze! :D

Regarding the rock salt used in grit - I thought it was scientific fact that a slurry of salt and ice stopped the ice melting and slurry water colder than just ice, i.e. Aussie's use this ice and salt slurry to keep their beers cooler in hot weather? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Wow, it's been a while since I've heard that sort of story. I've been told a few times that diesel froze widely during Jan 1982 and additives were added or suchlike, which lowered the freezing point of the fuel.

I have to share WC's and others' concerns over the GFS model this evening. But one swallow doesn't make a summer, so I shouldn't think it should change views on what will happen until 7 or 8 am at least, when UKMO and ECMWF 12z output comes out. That run certainly shifts the precipitation risk to northerly coasts.

Regarding the rock salt used in grit - I thought it was scientific fact that a slurry of salt and ice stopped the ice melting and slurry water colder than just ice, i.e. Aussie's use this ice and salt slurry to keep their beers cooler in hot weather? :confused:

See pistolpetes11's post above:) I remember during the 80s people used to have a problem with it, and diesel, freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Well it actually says kg/m2, which equals to mm precip... 6 mm of precipitation can be anything between 3 to 10 cm of snow, depending on how wet it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    snow accumulation (white) - thickness is in Cm i guess e.g.6cm snow lying in Dublin
    17cm for donegal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

17cm for donegal??

Accumulated in the next 172 hours. Does not mention melting though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Diesel will freeze at -9.5c. It becomes wax at temps below that.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_freezing_point_of_diesel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

What would happen to electricity at absolute zero?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement