Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Wasn't expecting any snow until tomorrw evening. So snow now would be a nice little taster to what we might get in the coming week. Oh la la!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

mad DIY wrote: »
    Well, by the looks of it on RainToday, Navan is in the firing line for something shortly..

Nothing happening here in Navan as of yet, but I guess it is still early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Cloud cover we had for most of today has lifted and the sky is clearing. Temp is 1.0c DP -1.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Looks like some new showers forming in the Irish Sea looking at the latest satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Here is my thoughts with regard to snow risk.

Tuesday 1500hrs to Wednesday 2100hrs only.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4500/risksnow.gif

risksnow.gif

did you put the line on the wrong side of trim by mistake :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Abit of surprise activity forming in the north irish sea alright.

Some decent shower could head into louth area pushing southeast off the south coast of NI

http://sat24.com/gb

jambofc wrote: »
    did you put the line on the wrong side of trim by mistake :rolleyes:

Obviously the line isn't clean cut! Just my interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

searescue wrote: »
    Very bad in north Kerry here. I skidded the car today and ended up in the ditch on the other side of the road.

Luckily there was no oncoming traffic....and the car was fine! But I can tell you I did get a mighty fright!

SR
    :eek:
    glad your ok,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Obviously the line isn't clean cut! Just my interpretation.

obviously sarcasm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

-1 at the moment.

We still have snow on some fields here also on back roads.
    I was in navan last Tue could not believe the difference in about 50 to 60 miles the whole country was white here at home got to Navan nothing, left Navan at 4pm it was raining got home and the snow was belting it down.

Tomorrow night will be interesting:D

Sorry i live on the Cavan Monaghan boarder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Abit of surprise activity forming in the north irish sea alright.

Some decent shower could head into louth area pushing southeast off the south coast of NI

http://sat24.com/gb

I'd say these are your showers WC - not mine! ;)

I see M2 bouy is back to E wind but IOM has a N wind.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'd say these are your showers WC - not mine! ;)

I see M2 bouy is back to E wind but IOM has a N wind.

Look like going north of here but we will see, surprsing bit of small interest anyway!

Look like going north of here but we will see, surprsing bit of small interest anyway!

There is a line that isn't on the radar that is developing on the satellite, will be interesting to see if this develops into precip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Still a whiteout here in Castleknock, West Dublin. Main roads clear but estates and minor roads and open areas are still full of ice and snow. Practically no thaw. Differant situation in other parts of Dublin closer to the sea i.e. Swords, Malahide, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire etc. West Dublin is still extermely dangerous off the major axes...so go easy...!!!!:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Tuesday night - latest chart shows a more organised band of snow showers in the Irish Sea drifting onland.

fax60s.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

ffarrell wrote: »
    Still a whiteout here in Castleknock, West Dublin. Main roads clear but estates and minor roads and open areas are still full of ice and snow. Practically no thaw. Differant situation in other parts of Dublin closer to the sea i.e. Swords, Malahide, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire etc. West Dublin is still extermely dangerous off the major axes...so go easy...!!!!:o

+1

yep have been in clonsilla, north city centre and malahide road out near clare hall and the difference is noticable

clonsilla is still as bad as a couple of days ago... Wonder why no thaw ?

Interesting developments

There is my line!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

There is a line that isn't on the radar that is developing on the satellite, will be interesting to see if this develops into precip.

Yea appeared:

hiradarzoomv4.pl?map=uk;xtime=19:30;sx=270;sy=289;xw=64;yw=64;places=0;sharp=a;postcode=;pcz=;actime=;prec=y;scale=;sferics=0;metar=;sess=b72396d5f2169e9073da18f22bd58bff

Then died out on next radar image:

hiradarzoomv4.pl?map=uk;xtime=19:35;sx=270;sy=289;xw=64;yw=64;places=0;sharp=a;postcode=;pcz=;actime=;prec=y;scale=;sferics=0;metar=;sess=b72396d5f2169e9073da18f22bd58bff

Villain wrote: »
    Yea appeared:

Then died out on next radar image:

ye different quality radar images.

Its developing thats what i wanted to see

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Had a hail shower here for about 5-10 minutes, stopped now.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

interesting forecast on countryfile just now, similar to the one posted earlier except showing the front coming south over northern Ireland and scotland tomorrow likely bringing snow with it as far south as Dublin at least. It showed the weather coming from there before starting to come from east on Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Afternoon Everyone.

Great to see such interest in the weather on here :)

Brief Overview

Well, a split set of 12Z Model Guidance this afternoon into the medium term.

GFS, UKMO & GME redevelop an increasingly strong Easterly flow towards the end of the coming week. Meanwhile, the 12Z ECMWF has a rather slack flow at first, but still very cold, with a slightly more pronounced Easterly flow towards T+144. If we want to see a risk of snowfall continuing into the weekend, then it would be preferable to see the 12Z UKMO General type of evolution being closer to the final verification trend. However, even at T+144 on the 12Z ECMWF evolution, with a deep cold pool moving over the Irish Sea, there would still be rather heavy snow shower generation with significant convective possibilities.

ECMWF is really out on it's own with the majority of other model guidance showing a more pronounced Easterly flow, even beginning (continuing) at T+120. Either way, there is at least 60% confidence tonight in the continuation of these wintry conditions for another 6-7 Days, quite possibly even longer if evolutions such as GFS 12Z Operational are correct. Bitterly cold conditions will persist until next weekend, with a continuing risk of Ice Days, Severe Frosts & Snowfall.

Snowfall Risk

As many other have said on here, never underestimate the ability of the Irish Sea to support the generation of snow showers, rather heavy snow showers, given a deep cold pool being advected southwestwards.

As I was saying earlier this morning, it's going to be very difficult to pin down the exact distribution of precipitation throughout this wintry phase. Even at T+24, the evolution won't be certain & there could well be unexpected developments etc.

At the moment, after review of the UKMO 12Z Precipitation Distribution (UKMO is usually very accurate from T+0 to T+72 with regard to precipitation forecasts), the main risk zone for snowfall is generally, but by no means exclusively, an area from Louth/Dublin southwards, encompassing Eastern districts & the southeast. The western most extent of the risk at the moment appears to be West Waterford. In addition, northern coasts & northwestern areas, along with some northeastern areas are at risk of snowfall.

UKMO 12Z in particular, following it's 00Z output, does seem to suggest the potential for more organised areas of snowfall for Eastern and Southeastern areas between Tuesday and Thursday. In addition, it also suggests the risk of snowfall in Northwestern areas. Later in the week, we may well see a small feature running in from the Atlantic & slipping down the Western Seaboard, coming up against the very cold air in place which has the potential to give snowfall to these areas.

I expect all of the above mentioned areas to see, at the very least, a dusting of snow during this coming week. In this evolution, Eastern & Southeastern areas in particular are prime for snowfall. Significant accumulations are quite possible over high ground.

As stated above, UKMO 12Z looks very promising for snowfall, as does the ECMWF 12Z evolution. In fact, the latest ECMWF Operational run suggests the risk of even more than 24 Hours of rather continuous snow showers in Eastern & Southeastern areas, from later on Tuesday through to Early on Thursday.

This should not be viewed in isolation but does indicate the potential that we are looking at during this coming week:

100103_1200_72.png

Summary

It will remain cold to bitterly cold at times for the coming week. As a cold & unstable northeasterly airflow covers the country, there is an increasing risk of snowfall in the areas mentioned above. In addition, it is likely that several frontal features will run down across the country during the coming week, one such feature into tomorrow, offering the risk of snowfall to other areas also. Towards the end of the week, there is considerable uncertainty as to the potency of the Easterly flow. At present, the balance of favour, considering all NWP Guidance, would suggest the likelihood of at least a light to quite moderate due Easterly, perhaps slightly northeasterly flow developing. Whilst all areas will remain very to bitterly cold, the strength of the flow has significant implications in terms of snowfall potential. For example, if UKMO, GFS & GME 12Z Operationals are correct, then there will be an even higher risk of snowfall in Eastern areas. This risk is greatly reduced on ECMWF 12Z at T+120, but increasing again between T+120 and T+144.

Lots to watch in the coming days & a very interesting spell of wintry weather.

SA :)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Thanks Snowaddict, I look forward to your updates every day - a nice mix of layman and technical terms which really assists me in understanding more about the models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

thomasj wrote: »
    +1

yep have been in clonsilla, north city centre and malahide road out near clare hall and the difference is noticable

clonsilla is still as bad as a couple of days ago... Wonder why no thaw ?

Still quite white here in Glasnevin. Several footpaths and local estate roads are still white and very icy. Even came across some ice on some of the more major roads in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Just having a very light snow shower here in Navan at the moment.

This is what is falling here.

Taken on camera phone.

malman wrote: »
    This is what is falling here.

Taken on camera phone.

Looks like a bad case of dandruff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Excellent update Mark , as always. I know I've been on about this before but considering the amount of convection that may take place over the Irish Sea in the comming days do you think thunder is a possibility on occasions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here too, there was a sprinkling (and I mean just a bare sprinkling) of those snow grains on the car when I went out.

• Advertisement

Here's one I took while exiting the M1 motorway at Ardee on new year's day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement