Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Would you prefer they wait until they have 100% coverage before launching the product?

I didn't say that. I'm just saying, that the coverage areas they have chosen, they already are covering with dsl, ripwave and breeze products. Those areas are also covered by 3G.

And to take you up on your comment: They are advertising EVERYWHERE. Coming from Claregalway towards Galway, big add at the road. Coming from Kilcolgan towards Galway, big add at the road. In Athlone city center: big add.

But those areas have not even announced for coverage on the website yet. You must admit, that the way they launch it, are pretty much way off. All they do is create confusion with people that don't check the coverage map and don't know better.

/M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Would you prefer they wait until they have 100% coverage before launching the product?

No but their statement on launch date said that they will have "90% coverage" by 2012 . That is quite simply a TOTAL LIE , well beyond the oleaginous tripe one reasonably expects of marketing departments :(

I can state with certainty that Imagine will not supply a 3.5ghz/3.6ghz wimax product in more than 25% of the state by 2012 . That will be the more densely populated 25% of the state where everybody else tries to provide a reasonable quality wireless service...eg Digiweb Metro .

The other 75% of the state will not benefit in any way , same as ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Marlow wrote: »
    I didn't say that. I'm just saying, that the coverage areas they have chosen, they already are covering with dsl, ripwave and breeze products. Those areas are also covered by 3G.

And to take you up on your comment: They are advertising EVERYWHERE. Coming from Claregalway towards Galway, big add at the road. Coming from Kilcolgan towards Galway, big add at the road. In Athlone city center: big add.

But those areas have not even announced for coverage on the website yet. You must admit, that the way they launch it, are pretty much way off. All they do is create confusion with people that don't check the coverage map and don't know better.

/M
    They say if you want coverage, to register your details, if enough people want it in your area they'll get there as soon as they can.

Which makes more business sense, setting up coverage in Ballygobackwards so a few hundred people can get it, or setting up in Dublin so a million can get it?

I challenge you to find any company anywhere that doesn't first target more densely population areas with a new product.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No but their statement on launch date said that they will have "90% coverage" by 2012 . That is quite simply a TOTAL LIE , well beyond the oleaginous tripe one reasonably expects of marketing departments :(

I can state with certainty that Imagine will not supply a 3.5ghz/3.6ghz wimax product in more than 25% of the state by 2012 . That will be the more densely populated 25% of the state where everybody else tries to provide a reasonable quality wireless service...eg Digiweb Metro .

The other 75% of the state will not benefit in any way , same as ever.
    Why don't you express your outrage to your local TD? I honestly don't care.

They say if you want coverage, to register your details, if enough people want it in your area they'll get there as soon as they can.

Which makes more business sense, setting up coverage in Ballygobackwards so a few hundred people can get it, or setting up in Dublin so a million can get it?

I challenge you to find any company anywhere that doesn't first target more densely population areas with a new product.

Us ? !!!

We don't really do much in Galway city. Yet we provide 2000 customers on the irish westcoast.

Also, it has advantages to trial a new product in a rural area, because you can figure out to scale it correctly before you kick the crap out of it.

/M

• Advertisement

They said they would cover 90% by 2012 . An honest company would publish this 90% coverage map seeing as they claim to havea plan and invite interest from the other 10% .

They said they would cover 90% by 2012 . An honest company would publish this 90% coverage map seeing as they claim to havea plan and invite interest from the other 10% .
    Please refer to my last post.

Your last post about local TDs :eek: was like something a surly marketing droid would come up with after the boss banned them from twittering becuase sumbdy sed sumtin on d'internit :D

Do you have any sort of point or insight to share, ideally about the technology not the marketing campaign please .

Your last post about local TDs :eek: was like something a surly marketing droid would come up with after the boss banned them from twittering becuase sumbdy sed sumtin on d'internit :D

Do you have any sort of point or insight to share, ideally about the technology not the marketing campaign please .
    Why would I talk about the technology? I don't know anything about the technology, nor do I care about the technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

still the technologicla claims of the service are at heart of the marketing campaign so it is relevant. I run a business myself and marketing is only propoganda if you cant back it up with specs whether its website design done to certain standards using certain technology/software or if its the infrastructure behind the product being marketed - all information is vital - people should not believe all that an ad has to say unless it has the relevent detail and studies behind it to allow us consumers to make a informed decision. There is the reason why the technology aspect of information provided is vital....so please dont give me that crap that technology is irrelevant here - YOU are in a TECH FORUM AFTER ALL :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Yes I would actually as a matter of interest - at least there would be coverage for all which no one else provides. That would be the best marketing tool in this country i can tell you that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

You have missed the point they have NO coverage. You cant get the product anywhere.

Orignally they claimed that it was available "live" in my area but its not. The should at least have some cells live and available.

There are plenty of people who already have the product.

There are plenty of people who already have the product.

How do you know ?? Oh let me guess :D

Because someone posted on here before saying that they were calling out to replace their ripwave unit.

Because someone posted on here before saying that they were calling out to replace their ripwave unit.

'someone on boards' = "loads of people" then , is it ??

You have a bright future in marketing and pr you do :D

Someone on boards says they get a call from Imagine to upgrade their ripwave to wimax.

I think it's safe to assume they're not the only one.

Someone on boards says they get a call from Imagine to upgrade their ripwave to wimax.

I think it's safe to assume they're not the only one.

That's hear say at best. And have you confirmation that anybody yet has the unit ?

Just because people said, they've been contacted about getting the unit replaced doesn't mean it has happened yet.

So explain, why there still are no speeds and prices on the website ? Cat in the sack for people that have the product ?

/M

Well the guy who posted said they called out to his house. So once again, it's safe to assume they have called out to other people to upgrade their service.

No, I can't confirm anything, how could I? But that doesn't mean it's not true.

No, I can't confirm anything, how could I? But that doesn't mean it's not true.

Imagine really are scraping the proverbial barrel with the quality of their shilling in this thread ( one or two noble exceptions noted ) :(

• Advertisement

You keep calling anyone who isn't a member of the circle jerk of bitching, a shill. I'd call that a troll.

I honestly couldn't give a toss if you think I'm a shill. I'm just giving my opinion.

If you must know I'm a satisfied UPC customer:D

Don't drag UPC into this please !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MagicMarker, Spongebob,
    If you have a problem with a user then report the user.

I don't want this thread turning into a a bitching session.

imho Image need to get their act together, there are massive issues with what they've done to date
    - Advertising in areas that they won't be in
    - Missing go-live dates (this makes them look clueless)

I suspect that to some extent they deliberately went off at half cock because poster campaign 'brand' advertising is much cheaper in October than it will be from mid november onwards what with christmas almost upon us and the january sales.

They may have bought and booked this in august ....thinking they would be live ....and had equipment sourcing problems in the interim .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ImagineThat!

They may have bought and booked this in august ....thinking they would be live ....and had equipment sourcing problems in the interim .[/quote]

Ya know ye guys really make me laugh with your petty arguments about the claims and delay in pricing etc, Imagine are no 2 in the Irish market with 1,000s and 1,000s of Business and Residential telephone and bb customers across all our brands,Access,Imagine,Gaelic Telecom,and Irish Broadband, do ye really think we are not going to back up our claims?

With any new product launch in any area, there is going to be teething problems,etc, this is not the case here it`s just a delay in announcing pricing and product information, what you seem to forget here is that there is a €100 million investment and 200 new jobs involved in the rollout of Wimax in Ireland supported by al the major players, if ye took the time to check out the rollout of Wimax in the States,Rest of Europe Asia,Africa etc maybe then you will see that waiting another few days would not be an issue, ( And before you reply about vapour ware etc, I am not here in any offical capacity, just an employee, who`s sick to the teeth of slaggers who really dont know what they are talking about !) there is a fleet of vehicles including a demonstration unit already out there everyday swapping out ripwave devices for Wimax devices ungoing for weeks now in the coverage areas already live with 15 new areas to go live every month from now on, and note I said " AREAS" not base stations, so in finishing get off your high horse and wait just another few days,and then make your comments on actual fact not fiction !!

this is not the case here it`s just a delay in announcing pricing and product information

So what is the big secret there ? Even if there would be a delay in sourcing kit, teething problems etc., there is no sense in holding that sort of information back, is there ?

Unless you're afraid that all the other providers suddenly dump their prices below those while you can't deliver.

/M

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

so in finishing get off your high horse and wait just another few days,and then make your comments on actual fact not fiction !!

how many days is a few? that few days promise has already been made twice by imagine and the 'facts' didn't come.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ImagineThat!

I can state with certainty that Imagine will not supply a 3.5ghz/3.6ghz wimax product in more than 25% of the state by 2012)

So you think it`s a total lie ! and can state with certainy!! can you please explain to those of us who don`t have a crystal ball how you can back up your wild claims?

can you please explain to those of us who don`t have a crystal ball how you can back up your wild claims?

I would have to back up SpongeBob on this, not that I'm so certain about the figures, but 90% in 3.5-3.6 GHz will not be archievable, because the licenses won't be available for that. You'd need to get Eircom's national 3.5 GHz license for that.

There are vast areas, where those licenses have been taken by other providers. In some areas it will also mean, that you have to get rid of other IBB products first and that's not an easy process.

If I recall correctly, there were 5000 wireless customers in IBB at the time when Imagine purchased them. I'd say half of them maybe in 3.5 GHz spectrum, if not more. Those will have to be moved before you can free those licenses up.

But if Imagine archieves 90% coverage, that would be very good. The problem is right now, that Imagine is blasting advertising out for something that they don't tell their customers (and potential customers) about, what it's going to be cost and what they will be getting for the money.

As for your comment on people not having a clue. I'd be very careful with statements like that. Quite a few people in this thread have a very thorough knowledge of the industry and technology, what it's capable of and what regulations and limitations there are.

/M

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    how many days is a few? that few days promise has already been made twice by imagine and the 'facts' didn't come.

http://www.imagine.ie/wimax-splash/view-coverage-locations.html

The coverage map certainly looks 'healthier' than it did in October what with 100% coverage showing in Leixlip Village and also in Celbridge Village as well as all of SE Dublin west of Killiney Hill and south of Ringsend together with all of NE Dublin north of the Royal canal between the M1 and the sea right up to Sutton .

That lot should provide a very interesting test once you can actually get the service off them . For a nomadic technology with no fixed aerials it is rather a brave map , shall we say :D

The website is nicer than it was when we all discussed how confused and crap it was . There is a slight drawback though , clickety click below .

http://www.imagine.ie/

Where the **** has the most widely available Imagine product gone , that's ADSL ???

And where is the breeze product family , or indeed ripwave down the schticks ???

Advertisement