Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Not seeing much difference in the website? Still mostly confused and vague, benefits section doesn't list any benefits etc. Coverage map doesn't match up with areas they say are covered in phase 1 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    For a nomadic technology with no fixed aerials it is rather a brave map , shall we say :D

Or a bit too optimisitic.

Where the **** has the most widely available Imagine product gone , that's ADSL ???

And where is the breeze product family , or indeed ripwave down the schticks ???

That's one of the other problems, I've heard from quite a lot of people. Nobody knows anymore, if Imagine is selling the other products or what the story is or if they are discontinuing those products, since they are taken of the website. The only place you can get pricing for those is on IBB's website. Bit of a bummer. I'd say the direct competition loves it :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

The website is nicer than it was when we all discussed how confused and crap it was . There is a slight drawback though , clickety click below .

http://www.imagine.ie/

Where the **** has the most widely available Imagine product gone , that's ADSL ???

And where is the breeze product family , or indeed ripwave down the schticks ???

Heh.. look, the site seems to have been updated.
    There's a link waaay down in the bottom right for the "Group Website".
    Thats new...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No but their statement on launch date said that they will have "90% coverage" by 2012 . That is quite simply a TOTAL LIE , well beyond the oleaginous tripe one reasonably expects of marketing departments :(

I can state with certainty that Imagine will not supply a 3.5ghz/3.6ghz wimax product in more than 25% of the state by 2012)

So you think it`s a total lie ! and can state with certainy!! can you please explain to those of us who don`t have a crystal ball how you can back up your wild claims?

Good question Imagine That , you know the answers but I will tell everyone else who is interested. :D

One achives c.80% population coverage by covering only 25% of the state , after that the old dimishing marginal returns kick in hard and the accountants freeze the rollout .

On top of that the 3.5 and 3.6ghz bands are dreadful for building penetration , 3g at 2.1ghz is better and 2g (generally at 0.9mhz) is much better again . Your technology is being sold as a zero install mobile/nomadic product but to be frank it would be best to use outdoor aerials in the 3.5 and 3.6ghz bands .

Trying to make a phonecall on it as I zip along the M4 or on the train into Heuston will be most interesting, it should work ( ish) but I do not want to get into really complicated stuff in this particular thread as to why that is unlikely . Imagine have not claimed handover functionality although the wimax 802.16e standard claims to supports it .

I won't hold ye to it ...even if ye do claim it works which ye shouldn't do in my opinion :D

Had you a block of spectrum below 1.5ghz I could change my mind on your rollout 'intentions' , but you don't and I won't until you do .

Ye have very little chance of getting 2.5ghz before end 2012 and only slightly more of getting some 2.6ghz .

eircom still has the 2.3ghz band , they shouldn't but they do . If you want it ( and I strongly suspect you do) why not survey the band in Dublin Kerry Donegal and Galway properly yourselves ...something Comreg should have done earlier this year.... and present your findings to Comreg who may have been somewhat misled ..shall we say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

eircom still has the 2.3ghz band , they shouldn't but they do . If you want it ( and I strongly suspect you do) why not survey the band in Dublin Kerry Donegal and Galway properly yourselves ...something Comreg should have done earlier this year.... and present your findings to Comreg who may have been somewhat misled ..shall we say :D

HAM radio amateurs are secondary on the 2.3 GHz band and they are certainly not going to give up on that right without a fight. There's even international pressure on Comreg to maintain that. So I don't see that becoming available for commercial use any time soon.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Website is funny i must say,

In the bottom right of the main page, there is a section called "how fast is super fast"

I click in and it does a speed test for me - thats great and all but where do i find out how fast superfast is :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Marlow wrote: »
    That's hear say at best. And have you confirmation that anybody yet has the unit ?

Just because people said, they've been contacted about getting the unit replaced doesn't mean it has happened yet.

So explain, why there still are no speeds and prices on the website ? Cat in the sack for people that have the product ?

/M

I was driving through Stillorgan last week and drove by a Landrover Jeep that had "imagine WiMax deployment vehicle " on the side of it , so I presume they are out and about there doing something !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

I was driving through Stillorgan last week and drove by a Landrover Jeep that had "imagine WiMax deployment vehicle " on the side of it , so I presume they are out and about there doing something !

You sure it didnt say "Imaginary Wimax"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

*edit* Wrong thread:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.imagine.ie/

Looks like some marketing boys decided ADESL is not the way they want Imagine to go, I actually can't see anything on the front page to suggest they offer ANYTHING over then WiMax...which isn't even live yet.

The how fast is superfast is nothing but a poor (and I might add very poor) marketing gimmick....yet another gimmick is the twitter wall which is collecting ANY mention of Wimax....so even if you send "I'm going out on the piss...wimax" it'll show up :rolleyes:

As for coverage map..jesus don't get me started, if a mobile company launched today and only offered mobile coverage in Dublin they'd be laughed at so why is it ok for Imagine to do this?

They should be covering Cork, Dublin, Limerick, Galway at launch at the VERY LEAST, instead they are aiming to alienate customers by advertising in all sorts of places up and down the country so when it goes live the vast majority of people will not be able to get it.

Infact in some places they are advertising people will likely never get the service due to geographic location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

They even have a "wimax google it" advert up on a bill board in Mountrath, Co. Laois! Talk about the back of no where.

Cabaal wrote: »
    ....if a mobile company launched today and only offered mobile coverage in Dublin they'd be laughed at so why is it ok for Imagine to do this?

One did only this year :D. Meteor Mobile was only available in Dublin for a long time ( well perhaps in Cork City too) and only went live in the other main cities in September . Mind you eircom launched the product AND the dongles and pricing on the same day and had it in the shops where you could stroke the modems and listen to them purr and stuff.

The thing that I find funny about Imagine ( apart from the hype) is that their 'wimax' website was late ( and DSL is now a non product) and that in the 4 years since Imagine last notably infested boards.ie with their shills they have learnt nothing as a company ....except that they were changing their website almost by the minute on that occasion and seem not to be able to any more :D

After the last fiasco they should have learnt something about launching a technology product in a technology mileau . Pandering to the dregs of the attention deficit generation with inane serial twittering is a regression not a progression . Bad as eircom are they manage these things a whole lot better .

Here we all are nearly 4 weeks later and not a single boards user has tested this thing yet , crazy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

They even have a "wimax google it" advert up on a bill board in Mountrath, Co. Laois! Talk about the back of no where.
    ha ha its becuase I registered by interest about three weeks ago...I must be the only interested person in Mountrath....:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

One did only this year :D. Meteor Mobile was only available in Dublin for a long time

I meant more along the lines of actual mobile operater for voice calls :)
    Even when Meteor first started off they had iffy coverage in most of the country

Here we all are nearly 4 weeks later and not a single boards user has tested this thing yet , crazy :(

I#'m sure the employee's have ;)

Mountrath wrote: »
    ha ha its becuase I registered by interest about three weeks ago...I must be the only interested person in Mountrath....:D

I'm sure they'll get right on providing services in your area...after all they advertised in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hammer of Thor

daffy_duc wrote: »
    Imagine/Irish Broadband offer Breeze. I have no complaints. Its the perfect solution for me, because its a symmetrical service. No-one else offers a 6mbit down/6mbit up service, with no usage limit for €100 a month. Sure its expensive for your average joe, but any other ISP that offers that product will charge a whole lot more. (Before you whine about €100 being expensive, I would be paying that for a 1mbit DSL service with a 5GB cap in South Africa)
    Ask anyone else on this forum with Breeze, how their service has been for the last few years, and they'll tell you that their customer support has been incredible.

So either you just don't like being compared to a kid in a car, or you've got something personal against Imagine.
    I still think you should just sit back and wait, before jumping to conclusions.

Yeah €100 is expensive monthly, but if what you say about 6down6up and no monthly limits is true then I'd gladly pay it if I had it! At the moment I pay €60 per month for Eircoms 7mbdown 3xxkb up with a limit of 30 gigs I think, but I'm a heavy user and it hasn't been capped yet. I have had dealings before with Irish Broadband, and it left me with a bitter taste in my mouth, I had the Ripwave service and found them to be very uninterested in what their customers thought as long as the money was paid over every month. I'm not going to get into exactly what happened cos it would take pages to detail, but its left me very unwilling to return to them unless this WiMax is out of this world! And yeah I don't like being compared to a kid in a car either! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

daffy_duc wrote: »
    Imagine/Irish Broadband offer Breeze. I have no complaints. Its the perfect solution for me, because its a symmetrical service. No-one else offers a 6mbit down/6mbit up service, with no usage limit for €100 a month.

Can't find that service on imagine. Only mention 4mb at €55.
    I'm looking for a service with fast upload speeds. Not too many around...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hammer of Thor

conolan wrote: »

The 4mb package you saw advertised is 4down 4up. Wouldn't that do ya?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

conolan wrote: »

Its in the business section :

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/product_summaries.php?cid=8

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

Pure speculation but maybe Imagine had to rush the ad campaign, as it is being pushed by Intel and Motorola.

Wimax is a hype word for most of this decade now, hyped mostly by Intel.
    Lately it looked that Wimax was about to be overtaken by a competitive technology called LTE (Long Term Evolution).

Maybe Intel/Motorola/Imagine are trying to get the Wimax word into fashion again, even if in places where it makes no sense to place billboards, as those regions will not be connected for some time?

But the incredible low amount of details surely shoots them in the foot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Scutter

I don't know if it's a coincidence but I have a lot of customers in Greystones and as WiMax is hitting the streets in Dublin the old Greystones ripwave service is shot to bits.

I setup 12 or so people last year and 6 called me today to say they couldn't get online and it's been unreliable for them anything from the last day to two weeks.

I wonder if we're paying the price to maintain a faster service in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wimax hasn't even launched yet. Your problems with Ripwave are that it's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Scutter

jor el wrote: »
    Wimax hasn't even launched yet. Your problems with Ripwave are that it's crap.

You're right. I said Ripwave and I meant breeze. I'd been reading this thread. I wouldn't touch ripwave.

I've had 4MB for ages and it's been rock solid. I run blueface over it and so do a bunch of my clients.

My understanding from talking to some of the team at Imagine was that there are a few places using WiMAX already.
    I figured that they've stuffed our network in the process.
    I ran thier own tests from them earlier and I was getting a ping of 1404ms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unless they've somehow screwed their entire network, any Wimax work shouldn't effect Breeze. They have trialled Wimax, but it hasn't launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Scutter wrote: »
    You're right. I said Ripwave and I meant breeze. I'd been reading this thread. I wouldn't touch ripwave.

I've had 4MB for ages and it's been rock solid. I run blueface over it and so do a bunch of my clients.

My understanding from talking to some of the team at Imagine was that there are a few places using WiMAX already.
    I figured that they've stuffed our network in the process.
    I ran thier own tests from them earlier and I was getting a ping of 1404ms.

From whats been said in the thread so far, I thought they planned to move these services to WiMAX. Am I confused or are they starting to make the change over without alerting customers or are staff working frantically to get WiMAX ready for launch and there is no time to fix problems for existing customers?

They may have stuffed the cell backhaul , what customer equipment do you have ??

Breeze Access gear is licenced and would use the same bands as this new thing . Breezemax should be on different ( higher ) spectrum and would carry on regardless .

They use the same spectrum for Ripwave in big cities and towns as they do for Breeze in smaller towns like Athlone ...so the answer is location dependent .

Thats not to say the lads did not knock something out in the base station while installing new gear or especially antennae .

You could always PM Imagine That and see if he was up your mast with a spanner today and maybe loosened something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

well its working...the "hype"..we are all talking about it!

no good for me..im a gamer...18ms ping or nothin please! Back to eircom after trying everyone else...ya pay for what ya get..i think...

but im rural and dam luckey to get 6down, .3 up...and 18ms pings!! yess

but just up the road, a good few of my friends all all on about wimax..and the thing is..there is nothin to talk about YEt!

looks like a glorified mobile product....we shall see...we shall see...

m.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

super fast me conkers!

up to 3 meg IF your one of the lucky ones.

average around 1meg.

Nothing to get excited about.

ping times around 100ms-500ms, so that gamers out.

Super fast in my mind is at least 20 meg or over.

so the pricing will be the big issue, to subscribe for most "ordinary" users.

m.

mattman wrote: »
    super fast me conkers!

up to 3 meg IF your one of the lucky ones.

average around 1meg.

Nothing to get excited about.

ping times around 100ms-500ms, so that gamers out.

Super fast in my mind is at least 20 meg or over.

so the pricing will be the big issue, to subscribe for most "ordinary" users.

m.

I think you may be a bit off on the up to 3meg from what I have been looking at on www.wimax.com , I have been keeping a eye out for this product for well over a year now , not sure on the ping times , but Im sure we will know soon enough, or so Imagine have said .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I think you may be a bit off on the up to 3meg from what I have been looking at on www.wimax.com , I have been keeping a eye out for this product for well over a year now , not sure on the ping times , but Im sure we will know soon enough, or so Imagine have said .

So in the interest of fairness I'll volunteer to test this service and report on speed and ping times and any other issues that come up.

Advertisement