Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Good God, you could get the same results with a cheapo 802.11G router if it were in the same room provided it had the same uplink as Imagine have in the same room!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ImagineThat!

Why I am Here? just because I work for Imagine does that preclude me from being here ? I don`t think so, at least I am honest enough to tell ye all where I work ! not like the Eircom and the likes guys on here and different other sites who like to think they have the right to slag off other companies, when they know they are going to be creamed by this new technology coming on stream to give people a new better alternative than is available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Why I am Here? just because I work for Imagine does that preclude me from being here ? I don`t think so, at least I am honest enough to tell ye all where I work ! not like the Eircom and the likes guys on here and different other sites who like to think they have the right to slag off other companies, when they know they are going to be creamed by this new technology coming on stream to give people a new better alternative than is available

What technology. All i see from imagine is hot air.
    When did you say it was launching again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

If Imagine dont have the skills to put a simple price together, their new network with all the bells and whistles should be very interesting. :D
    I cant wait! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I didn't say you weren't aloud to post here and its not a requirement of boards.ie to declare who you work for.
    I'm wondering why you are here in this thread, the imagine wimax one. If you cant answer a couple of fairly basic questions about a product launched on the 14 October. I guess its just a coincidence.
    At least Eircom and the likes on here know what there selling.

Oh and I would absolutely love for you to cream Eircom, I have been hoping for someone to come along and do just that. Unfortunately if you do cream Eircom I suspect your service would be way too oversubscribed and really would turn to crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

when they know they are going to be creamed by this new technology coming on stream to give people a new better alternative than is available

Erm..What new technology..apart from one set up for a photoshoot ye've shown absolutely no figures nor equipment details...

here's me describing the new technology to a friend..take two empty cans and put a piece of string...:rolleyes:

Seriously,,sheesh. I heard of this new technology and thought wow..now I think Blah!.. Total BS from a company looking for free exposure.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

devnull wrote: »
    Clearwire are trialling Wimax in Malaga right now, with a view to launching in Ireland in the near future.

Yes, but Clearwire has been active in Ireland for years, and as was said above, using pre-WiMAX technology MOTOwi4 for the BB in the box product.

I wonder, will they jump on the WiMAX train, and compete with Imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

We are *entitled* to slag off Imag!ne, the same company that thought 20 hours a month of 1 mbit DSL counted as true broadband. The only company who resold the disastrous product.

The same company which couldn't put up a functioning website for their new product for days, and then couldn't even put any info beyond a difficult to read coverage map??

The same company who have a coverage map but can't tell pricing or product launch dates or even technical details of their product?!

I think the only people in this forum who needs to google WiMax are Imag!ne employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

We are *entitled* to slag off Imag!ne, the same company that thought 20 hours a month of 1 mbit DSL counted as true broadband. The only company who resold the disastrous product.

The same company which couldn't put up a functioning website for their new product for days, and then couldn't even put any info beyond a difficult to read coverage map??

The same company who have a coverage map but can't tell pricing or product launch dates or even technical details of their product?!

I think the only people in this forum who needs to google WiMax are Imag!ne employees.

Their website still isnt functioning.
    It provides zero information about their product. Just lots of marketing BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Geez, will you lot be patient?
    You're like a bunch of kids in the back seat of a car. You don't know how to drive, or where you're going.
    But you'll shout "Are we there yet" every 5 minutes.

The majority of people don't really care what WiMax is, who the equipment vendor is, or how the technology works. They're interested in the best deal for their money.
    By the sounds of it, they really are trying to make the pricing "just right".

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, because I believe in the technology they're using.
    Irish Broadband know how to build a network, and they already have tons of sites. Imagine bought Irish Broadband with this in mind.

I, personally, won't be moving straight to WiMax when they do start selling it. I'm quite happy with my Breeze connection.
    But I am interested in seeing where they go with this, and so is the rest of the telecoms market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hammer of Thor

daffy_duc wrote: »
    Geez, will you lot be patient?
    You're like a bunch of kids in the back seat of a car. You don't know how to drive, or where you're going.
    But you'll shout "Are we there yet" every 5 minutes.

The majority of people don't really care what WiMax is, who the equipment vendor is, or how the technology works. They're interested in the best deal for their money.
    By the sounds of it, they really are trying to make the pricing "just right".

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, because I believe in the technology they're using.
    Irish Broadband know how to build a network, and they already have tons of sites. Imagine bought Irish Broadband with this in mind.

I, personally, won't be moving straight to WiMax when they do start selling it. I'm quite happy with my Breeze connection.
    But I am interested in seeing where they go with this, and so is the rest of the telecoms market.

Good for you! If you're happy you're happy! But leave the rest of us alone, we're sick and tired of ISP's in Ireland, the majority just strive to take the piss out of their customers, and this thread is evidence of just that. And btw the majority of these people you speak of who don't care about how broadband gets to them and who are only interested in value for money ARE GETTING ROBBED! You too probably, I'm not up on what a Breeze connection offers in terms of speeds and d/l limits etc, but I do know who offer the Breeze service and I'm quite sure they couldn't give a damn about how good their service is as long as you're money is in their account at the end of the month.

I'm guessing they're waiting to see how many people register so they can push the price up even higher, the more that want it the more they can charge!

Intel & Motorola = Fantastic!
    Imagine = Oh dear......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Good for you! If you're happy you're happy! But leave the rest of us alone, we're sick and tired of ISP's in Ireland, the majority just strive to take the piss out of their customers, and this thread is evidence of just that. And btw the majority of these people you speak of who don't care about how broadband gets to them and who are only interested in value for money ARE GETTING ROBBED! You too probably, I'm not up on what a Breeze connection offers in terms of speeds and d/l limits etc, but I do know who offer the Breeze service and I'm quite sure they couldn't give a damn about how good their service is as long as you're money is in their account at the end of the month.

I'm guessing they're waiting to see how many people register so they can push the price up even higher, the more that want it the more they can charge!

Imagine = Oh dear......
    What are you talking about?

You tell him he's probably being ripped off with his breeze service and then say you have no idea what a breeze service offers? Seriously?

People are only registering their INTEREST, if you find something too expensive and still get it then you're an idiot.

Imagine = Oh dear......

Imagine/Irish Broadband offer Breeze. I have no complaints. Its the perfect solution for me, because its a symmetrical service. No-one else offers a 6mbit down/6mbit up service, with no usage limit for €100 a month. Sure its expensive for your average joe, but any other ISP that offers that product will charge a whole lot more. (Before you whine about €100 being expensive, I would be paying that for a 1mbit DSL service with a 5GB cap in South Africa)
    Ask anyone else on this forum with Breeze, how their service has been for the last few years, and they'll tell you that their customer support has been incredible.

So either you just don't like being compared to a kid in a car, or you've got something personal against Imagine.
    I still think you should just sit back and wait, before jumping to conclusions.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

daffy_duc wrote: »
    So either you just don't like being compared to a kid in a car, or you've got something personal against Imagine.
    I still think you should just sit back and wait, before jumping to conclusions.

Sit back and wait on what and until when exactly? Imagine have already missed two promised dates for delivery of the details of their service. It's not like people are demanding details before they should be ready, they simply expect them when the company said they would deliver them.

At best it's shoddy amateur work and it wouldn't be unfair to expect no better from their service after such a farce of a launch. if they can't be organised enough to tell people what the service will be, where it will be available and how much it will cost, then they don't know what they are doing. I'm surprised the press hasn't picked up on it after the fanfare of the 'launch' that they reported.

Trying to say people have something personal against imagine because they expect them to deliver what they promised make me think you have some personal involvement and are shilling on their behalf. It doesn't make sense otherwise. From looking at your post history, you appear to spend all your time pushing the same services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

copacetic wrote: »
    Sit back and wait on what and until when exactly? Imagine have already missed two promised dates for delivery of the details of their service. It's not like people are demanding details before they should be ready, they simply expect them when the company said they would deliver them.

At best it's shoddy amateur work and it wouldn't be unfair to expect no better from their service after such a farce of a launch. if they can't be organised enough to tell people what the service will be, where it will be available and how much it will cost, then they don't know what they are doing. I'm surprised the press hasn't picked up on it after the fanfare of the 'launch' that they reported.

Trying to say people have something personal against imagine because they expect them to deliver what they promised make me think you have some personal involvement and are shilling on their behalf. It doesn't make sense otherwise. From looking at your post history, you appear to spend all your time pushing the same services.

I imagine the press are waiting until they announce the prices to cover it and it will get a mention that it took ages to get pricing out there.

Not a great start but people wouldn't be waiting around to hear word if they were happy with their current providers or if decent broadband existed in the country.

I'll admit that the delaying and missing of dates does cause some concern.

I never have any problems with my IBB Breeze connection. I moved to DSL with IBB for a while, and then moved back to IBB Breeze when I moved house.
    I'm just loyal... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

I think what we are saying it quite obivious.

It was announced with, no pricing, no clear dates, no launch areas, a useless website, lots of publicity for what ....... an 8mbs product if it ever works. Its the usual for Ireland all talk and bluster.

I'll report back in 12 months and I bet we wont have got any further .....

Its a big no no when all the media gives this roll out such top coverage even the last word and that is a worry. We will never get anything good unless it is examined objectively and reported on as such. I wonder will Matt call them back in and take them to task, I doubt it.. because..... yes the adverts.

gb--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

"IMAGINE" if the hype was true.:eek:

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I think what we are saying it quite obivious.

It was announced with, no pricing, no clear dates, no launch areas, a useless website, lots of publicity for what ....... an 8mbs product if it ever works. Its the usual for Ireland all talk and bluster.

I'll report back in 12 months and I bet we wont have got any further .....

Its a big no no when all the media gives this roll out such top coverage even the last word and that is a worry. We will never get anything good unless it is examined objectively and reported on as such. I wonder will Matt call them back in and take them to task, I doubt it.. because..... yes the adverts.

gb--

Same thing on last word with 3. Massive coverage of 3's problems until they sponsored the show then all was ignored/forgotten.

It is a problem with private media although RTE just suck government **** so we are fooked no matter what the media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    . This facebook/twitter crap is all rather counterproductive :p

Since I posted that on the 27th their inanely twittering morkeshing people have thankfully STFU . What a ****ing tool of that thing that twitter is :(

• Advertisement

lol all the new social networking sites seem to be setup more for shills than the traditional forum which actually you know works for intended purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

thebman wrote: »
    lol all the new social networking sites seem to be setup more for shills than the traditional forum which actually you know works for intended purpose.

I'm beginning to wonder tbh.

At least with Twitter I can choose my own level of interaction with people, companies and service providers and often get a real response to a real query. Unlike here where there's no getting away from these "anonymous" keyboard warriors and their vile spewing hatred of a service which hasn't even launched yet. God help anyone on here who ever has a bit of a delay getting a brand new product out the door.

And the Imagine twitter account is, by definition, not a shill. It's clearly tied to Imagine, there's no hidden agenda or pretense.

Goodshape wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder tbh.

At least with Twitter I can choose my own level of interaction with people, companies and service providers and often get a real response to a real query. Unlike here where there's no getting away from these "anonymous" keyboard warriors and their vile spewing hatred of a service which hasn't even launched yet. God help anyone on here who ever has a bit of a delay getting a brand new product out the door.

And the Imagine twitter account is, by definition, not a shill. It's clearly tied to Imagine, there's no hidden agenda or pretense.

Jeez, get a grip of yourself. What does "anonymous" in inverted commas mean anyway?

I used to launch products all the time in a previous job, what we did was wait until they were ready and then launch them. Sounds easy, eh?
    Any internal delays before then obviously aren't embarrassing and don't make you look like unprofessional and like you don't know what you are doing. It ain't rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

20 mbit down/ 2 mbit up, fair enough. But that's before contention kicks in. The demo did not involve a bunch of customers on the sector. If that's all there is available on the sector, then I can't see, how it is going to be revolutionary.

10 MHz wide channels using standard fixed wireless allow easily for 12 mbit/s if properly set up and no contention, however most providers use 20 MHz channels, so they have up to around 25 mbit/s symmetric available.

3G is up at 14.4 mbit/2 mbit in some deployments. Again.. that's before contention is applied.

/M

Jeez, get a grip of yourself.
    Sorry, hangover. Need coffee or something.
    What does "anonymous" in inverted commas mean anyway?
    It means not actually anonymous.
    I used to launch products all the time in a previous job, what we did was wait until they were ready and then launch them. Sounds easy, eh?
    Any internal delays before then obviously aren't embarrassing and don't make you look like unprofessional and like you don't know what you are doing. It ain't rocket science.
    No denying they messed up on the launch.

I just think with the state of broadband in this country, and the potential advantages of having a good WiMAX network, my main reaction to this is "oh cool, hope it's good!", but for some reason it took some posters on here no time at all to start bashing the whole thing. I'd love to see some actual information and discussion on this thread without having to wade through all the childish ****e.

The suggestion that this was in some way better than "all the new social networking sites" just tipped me over a bit.

I just think with the state of broadband in this country, and the potential advantages of having a good WiMAX network, my main reaction to this is "oh cool, hope it's good!", but for some reason it took some posters on here no time at all to start bashing the whole thing.

Sorry. But if you look at their roll-out plans (the ones they've published), how do you think it'll improve the state of the broadband in this country. The first target is Dublin. As if broadband in Dublin was a problem.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Sorry. But if you look at their roll-out plans (the ones they've published), how do you think it'll improve the state of the broadband in this country.

No line rental, mobile, 8mb to start with. Internet that's just *there* wherever you are. If it works, that'd be fantastic.
    The first target is Dublin. As if broadband in Dublin was a problem.
    Of course the first target is going to be Dublin. They're a business, not a charity. Regardless, friend of mine just moved into a flat in Dublin city centre which doesn't have a cable for NTL. So it's cough up for phone line activation and monthly line rental before you even start looking at broadband packages or, at the moment, some of the 3G offerings.

I think he went for O2 in the end. After a quick look on the O2 website I can't actually see what speed those connections are supposed to be (heh, Imagine that :P) but he said he's getting about 1.5 - 2mb on it and is happy enough.

If Imagine can offer something good to compete with that then that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I just think with the state of broadband in this country, and the potential advantages of having a good WiMAX network, my main reaction to this is "oh cool, hope it's good!", but for some reason it took some posters on here no time at all to start bashing the whole thing. I'd love to see some actual information and discussion on this thread without having to wade through all the childish ****e.

The suggestion that this was in some way better than "all the new social networking sites" just tipped me over a bit.

Well I'd agree with that alright, I wouldn't even be subbed to this thread if not for the 2 or 3 year build up to WiMax and the involvement of such big name tech companies. I heard great things from people involved in the intel trials over past couple of years.

Thats their problem though, they announced a product that everyone wants, get everyone interested, then let them down. Thats not unlike the entire history of broadband provision in Ireland! Everyone is cynical because these companies have let us down time and time again.
    Regardless, friend of mine just moved into a flat in Dublin city centre which doesn't have a cable for NTL. So it's cough up for phone line activation and monthly line rental before you even start looking at broadband packages or, at the moment, some of the 3G offerings..

Thats the same for a lot of people in Dublin, no option except for phone line based or mobile broadband. I'm in the same boat.

Of course the first target is going to be Dublin. They're a business, not a charity.

They are a business, that is covering the exact same areas as most other businesses. Doesn't do a lot for most people in Ireland. It's certainly not covering the areas, that really are screaming for broadband.

You don't have to be a charity to cover outside the cities.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Marlow wrote: »
    They are a business, that is covering the exact same areas as most other businesses. Doesn't do a lot for most people in Ireland. It's certainly not covering the areas, that really are screaming for broadband.

You don't have to be a charity to cover outside the cities.

/M
    Would you prefer they wait until they have 100% coverage before launching the product?

Advertisement