Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

jellies wrote: »
    Ripwave and Clearwire also are not WiMAX. Totally different technology.
    What technology/ies does Ripwave use and Clearwire use?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah there's loads of choice in Dublin alright... That's why thousands of people have to use 3G modems in Dublin??? It's only "choice" if it's affordable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

flodis79 wrote: »

Clearwire uses MOTOwi4.
    Yeah there's loads of choice in Dublin alright... That's why thousands of people have to use 3G modems in Dublin??? It's only "choice" if it's affordable...

Most people just chose the cheapest, not out of necessity, but simply because it's cheap. I don't believe there are that many people forced to use 3G. If money was that tight, then they probably can't afford Internet access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

jor el wrote: »
    Clearwire uses MOTOwi4.

Most people just chose the cheapest, not out of necessity, but simply because it's cheap. I don't believe there are that many people forced to use 3G. If money was that tight, then they probably can't afford Internet access.

Broadband is massively expensive in this country.

There is a reason we are the bottom of EU tables :(

Most people have the choice of maybe one or two providers in Dublin (bitstream or reselling eircom is basically one provider as eircom provide the line and the price is for the most part fixed).

Outside of that you have mobile for usually half the price of a standard broadband connection and many people renting who don't want to get locked into long term contracts with fixed solutions.

Mobile is just crap and needs to be regulated better or regulated in the first place. ATM my parents get suitable mobile speeds and they can now get eircom as the exchange is enabled but they are locked into contract with O2 until next June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

thebman wrote: »
    Broadband is massively expensive in this country.

There is a reason we are the bottom of EU tables :(

Most people have the choice of maybe one or two providers in Dublin (bitstream or reselling eircom is basically one provider as eircom provide the line and the price is for the most part fixed).

Outside of that you have mobile for usually half the price of a standard broadband connection and many people renting who don't want to get locked into long term contracts with fixed solutions.

Mobile is just crap and needs to be regulated better or regulated in the first place. ATM my parents get suitable mobile speeds and they can now get eircom as the exchange is enabled but they are locked into contract with O2 until next June.

We'll it's more like Dublin, Cork and large urban centres have multiple broadband providers i.e. eircom, cable, unbundled, Digiweb Metro etc

Then everyone else has eircom, or someone else reselling eircom and wireless if you are lucky.

Even within Dublin, Cork etc most eircom switches are not unbundled so it's only a minority of areas can access Smart, Magnet or BT/Vodafone unbundled service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jellies

"Clearwire Ireland Clearwire Ireland is a provider of reliable, wireless, high-speed broadband Internet service to consumers and small businesses. Clearwire is utilizing next-generation non-line-of-sight wireless NextNet technology which facilitates the connection of customers to the Internet using radio spectrum."

Clearwire Ireland uses NextNet technology. I don't knw too much about it, except this company was bought by Motorola and I would say the product line has probably been scrapped. In the states, Clear (www.clear.com) are now deploying WiMAX from various vendors including Motorola.

IBB also deployed an old version of Ripwave, based on a modulation scheme called S-CDMA. This is upgradable (in theory) to WiMAX, but Imagine are now scrapping this in favour of Motorola WiMAX kit. Ripwave can do about 2Mbps max to an indoor device. WiMAX is up at the 15-20Mbps level.

The only thing these have in common with WiMAX is that they are wireless broadband systems...thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jellies

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I would like to know what VoIP number blocks are available and can I get more than one phone number mapped to each of these cpei 775 units by any chance ???

TIA

Its an inbuilt ATA, so should be technically possible to map >1 number to a port. Not sure how many tho.

jor el wrote:
    I disagree. A lot of people (speaking from the college student point of view here), simply need some form of internet access. They often would not be rolling around in money either. To meet both of those conditions, the cheapest/least strings attached option is the "only" option in a sense. Not explaining this well but if I think about it more, I'll explain better!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

A lot of people (speaking from the college student point of view here), simply need some form of internet access.

True. But from a college student point of view, you should also be aware then, that in a lot of places, you don't have to worry about that anymore.

A lot of student accomodations (student villages etc.) come with broadband included in the rent now.

As for going for the cheapest. A lot of people that have basic needs always go for the cheapest, but often still look at value. So a lot of people ask, if 3G is a replacement for their broadband (if they have something else already) and most of'em would not go down the 3G route once the difference is explained to them, even though it's cheaper.

People that have a broadband requirement and knowledge often know, what they are buying and price then doesn't matter. Quality matters in those cases.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I disagree. A lot of people (speaking from the college student point of view here), simply need some form of internet access.

Ah, but students are a different demographic. Students have the added criteria of not usually being at the one address for a minimum contract period, so traditional broadband connections don't suit at all. In that case, the choice of cable/DSL/FWA is not a choice at all. For everyone else (the majority), that is, the home users and business users, minimum contract periods offer little problem, and there are choices.

Home users that chose 3G often do so because they don't know that it's not the same as DSL or cable. They believe the advertising, and only later realise they've been duped. If everyone knew what the differences were, I don't think there'd be nearly as many 3G users as there are. Those left with no actual choice would then have a much better quality of service too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Clearwire are trialling Wimax in Malaga right now, with a view to launching in Ireland in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

devnull wrote: »
    Clearwire are trialling Wimax in Malaga right now, with a view to launching in Ireland in the near future.

They might have an idea of their prices at this stage too....

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

I wouldn't be putting any money down on Cleawire in Europe for the foreseeable future...

Where's that German network eh ????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Well they were saying the trials would happen last year in Spain but a year later and no much progress seems to have been made

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ImagineThat!

devnull wrote: »
    Well they were saying the trials would happen last year in Spain but a year later and no much progress seems to have been made

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/wimax-demo-leo-lundy-imagine-cto/140997177

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Question:

I currently use NTL broadband, a lot of the time, if I need to check the net for something, instead of booting up the pc, I would just connect my iphone to the network via wifi...am I correct in saying that this wont be possible with WiMax?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Similar question (eh, assuming you are actually from Imagine?)..

Is the lap-top dongle all you need to connect, or does the dongle simply connect to the bigger 'home unit'?

If the dongle is optionally all you need, does the home unit then output a standard wi-fi signal (so cojomo2 can connect with his iPhone, etc.)?

(looks really good btw.. looking forward to sometime (we hope) seeing those price plans ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's pretty impressive speeds alright. But is that not just because you have the big white transmitter in the room? Would home users be able to receive such signals miles away from the nearest mast?

Do the home unit and the dongle come together or is one for mobile package and the other for home?

Do I need the dongle connected to use wifi within my home?

If the pricing is on part with that of ripwave and the above questions get positive responses I think you'll have yourself a customer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

cormie wrote: »
    That's pretty impressive speeds alright. But is that not just because you have the big white transmitter in the room? Would home users be able to receive such signals miles away from the nearest mast?

Do the home unit and the dongle come together or is one for mobile package and the other for home?

Do I need the dongle connected to use wifi within my home?

If the pricing is on part with that of ripwave and the above questions get positive responses I think you'll have yourself a customer :)

I think it should be cheaper. We are paying silly money for broadband.
    A quick google shows that in the UK, you can get:

-10Meg Fibre optic broadband
    -Digital TV (over 45 channels)
    -Telephone service with unlimited weekend local calls

All for £14 or (15.64 Euro) per month....If we could get somewhere close to that it would be great. Link Below

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15157&buspart=buyat

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

cormie wrote: »

If you put the old ripwave modem 6 feet from a mast with no one else in the entire country using it...you'd probably get the advertised "2 meg" speed!

of course I never did :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The "cell" is less than 10 feet away from the dongle, of course it bloody works :(

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hammer of Thor

Thanks for the link, very interesting watch! I have 2 questions though -
    1 - The ping can be seen on 2 screens, one at 65ms and the other at 26ms, both very, very impressive given the average ping on 3G(but then as someone already pointed out the signal doesn't have far to go, whats it like over several kilometres?), but the ping is hidden during the live speed test, why?

2 - With blistering speeds for Ireland, 18mb down, 2.5mb up, are you gonna restrict our usage with ridiculous limits like you have done before with services like Ripwave? That 20gb usage thing was a farce, I got to download about 15 gigs of stuff a month, while the uploads pushed me to the limit, therefore restricting my speed to a crappy 100kbps. If you guys are gonna do that again I'll stick with Eircom, regardless of their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Without pricing and availability dates this remains vapour ware.

As I have said before, show me real world tests.

I would like to draw your attention to this little video of 21Mbps on a HSPA Network.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQcKoHX1Pew

No one on here needs to be told how much a network of this type suffers outside the lab.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Similar question (eh, assuming you are actually from Imagine?)..

Is the lap-top dongle all you need to connect, or does the dongle simply connect to the bigger 'home unit'?

If the dongle is optionally all you need, does the home unit then output a standard wi-fi signal (so cojomo2 can connect with his iPhone, etc.)?

(looks really good btw.. looking forward to sometime (we hope) seeing those price plans ;))

Sorry to disappoint ye all, I dont have any answers for you, yes I do work for Imagine, but am not privy to any information yet either..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Yeeee haaaaaaaa

pic_cowboy.jpg

jor el wrote: »
    Ah, but students are a different demographic. Students have the added criteria of not usually being at the one address for a minimum contract period, so traditional broadband connections don't suit at all. In that case, the choice of cable/DSL/FWA is not a choice at all. For everyone else (the majority), that is, the home users and business users, minimum contract periods offer little problem, and there are choices.

Home users that chose 3G often do so because they don't know that it's not the same as DSL or cable. They believe the advertising, and only later realise they've been duped. If everyone knew what the differences were, I don't think there'd be nearly as many 3G users as there are. Those left with no actual choice would then have a much better quality of service too.
    Where are all these people who got 3G by choice instead of DSL/Cable broadband?? Of course students are a different demographic, and it's irrelevant in usage terms as they use the network like anyone else or more so. They're a very substantial part of the market if the advertising campaigns that they all carry out in Fresher's Weeks/information guides/hot press/sponsorship stuff are anything to go by. You can't leave them out for the sake of a good rant!!

Any employed adult I know who has one, got it via work or needs it for work (mobility) reasons.

There's no way you can claim that the majority of 3G internet users are people who "couldn't be bothered" etc to get proper broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Sorry to disappoint ye all, I dont have any answers for you, yes I do work for Imagine, but am not privy to any information yet either..

Why are you here then?

How come the laptop furthest away from the cell had the slowest speed? coincidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Why are you here then?

How come the laptop furthest away from the cell had the slowest speed? coincidence?
    It was using a built in WiMAX receiver, rather than a dongle. Presumably the receiver itself (the new prototype built-in kind) isn't as powerful.

Advertisement