Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    This on the facebook site at the moment, if it's true what a waste of time waiting for Imagine!!! Nothing cheap or superfast about this at all!!!!:mad:

"Just off the phone to them..... 1mb €25, 3mb €30 and 7mb €35 all including VAT.No Download limits ! €50 install cost but includes voip phone and hardware. Bundles available €5-€10 on top.
    Now for the down side......
    Blanchardstown only available this week and Carrickmines the week after so it remains to be seen how long it takes to roll out phase 1.
    Should have had the website updated first in my opinion"

Was holding off waiting for this but now am going with either UPC or Smart, better value if you ask me. Don't think after this debacle I would even dream of going with Imagine, their service would have to be free for that to happen!!!!!
    Where are you reading that? I can't see it, although I don't use facebook so maybe I'm missing something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That is a third party post to Facebook, they have not 'released' any prices yet as in updated their website .

Are these Symmetrical products like Breeze or Asymmetric products like DSL can ANYBODY who has allegedly used it tell us yet ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That is a third party post to Facebook, they have not 'released' any prices yet as in updated their website .

Are these Symmetrical products like Breeze or Asymmetric products like DSL can ANYBODY who has allegedly used it tell us yet ??

Can't be symmetric, when the video showed a max of 2 mbit/s upload.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

was just on to them there..

i got a price for 3 meg..30 euro, or 40 euro with a call bundle.

Not impressed, I though this was supposed to be cheaper? I'm currently with NTL, I get 3mb for 20 euro bundled with my tv pack. With out the tv pack i think its 24 euro...why would I bother moving?

My parents are in the market for broadband and phone..they can get this (3meg)from Perlico for 46 euro..with no installation fee...so its much of a muchness ..if they go with perlico they will be getting a traditional landline, they wont have to take a gamble on this new wimax service which may or may not be the job?

They need to be cheaper..I dont see this taking off..especially for people like myself who couldnt care less about having a home phone..my mobile does the job grand.

Big load of hype for nothing..expensive and not exactly mindblowing..max speed of 7meg..

Hmmm, I'm paying €32 for 10mb with UPC.

Did you get a price for 7mb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

At those prices, they can stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Hmmm, I'm paying €32 for 10mb with UPC.

Did you get a price for 7mb?

yeah, 7mb is 35 euro, or 45 euro with unlimited local/national/uk landline calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hammer of Thor

I dunno, if those prices are official they're not that bad, not what they said they would be, but still not bad! Have to see what their "unlimited usage*" is, last time * meant 20 gigs a month for me, hardly unlimited, and the latency had better be low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 inertia99

Guy from Imagine said half price and superfast on TV and radio all those weeks ago, those prices are not exactly half and what is so superfast??? Half would be €28, not €45:confused:

An extra tenner a month with Smart for 7Mb on reliable low contention DSL including line rental and all local and national calls and I get to keep my traditional land line and telephone number, so I don't have to risk the Imagine Wimax network:mad:

Wasted time waiting for this, on the way to Smart....

Company Speed Installation Type Cost

UPC 10mb Free Cable 32
    Imagine 7mb 50 Wimax 35
    Homevision 7.6mb Free DSL 37.60(inc.line)

Just a couple of comparisons above, anyone see anything close to 50% cheaper??? Imagine versus UPC is over 9% deaer, Imagine versus Homevision 7% cheaper. If 35 is up to 50% cheaper anyone know who charges 70 for 7mb???

I am so pissed off that I waited for this, all it is is the same as available anywhere, but on unproven equipment and service. Imagine have now such a bad public imagine, it will be an uphill struggle for them. Pity I really thought this was going to be something good :mad: But its like all the others so much hype over nothing superfast or cheap!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Paddy Boy

I am surprised to learn companies like Imagine can make such blatantly false claims about what we can expect from them price wise and speed wise only to learn neither is true. I am sure there's a law against this somewhere.

Company Speed Installation Type Cost

UPC 10mb Free Cable 32
    Imagine 7mb 50 Wimax 35
    Homevision 7.6mb Free DSL 37.60(inc.line)

Is that 37.60 from Homevision including standard eircom line rental of €25.50?? That means 7Mb DSL for only €12?? Sounds too good to be true?

inertia99 wrote: »
    Is that 37.60 from Homevision including standard eircom line rental of €25.50?? That means 7Mb DSL for only €12?? Sounds too good to be true?

got the price from www.callcosts.ie not sure how up-to-date they are.

http://callcosts.ie/broadband/Broadband_Calculator.175.LE.asp

Have been looking into changing mty broadband for weeks now and talk about a maze. Everytime I decide on one read bad reviews or experience bad customer support with no phone call returned or no emails replied to. Wish I could find one good company that does what it says :mad:

Homevision do €29.99 20mbit BB + Line Rental at I assume = standard €25.50 for a grand total of €55.49 a month but I cannot get past the line test barrier :( . It is available in parts of Dublin .

Prices here, add line rental to get the total .

http://www.homevision.ie/broadband1.aspx#10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

just called them .. 7MB is the top speed.

What a complete and utter waste of time .. muppets.

zod wrote: »
    just called them .. 7MB is the top speed.

Fecks sake Zod, that is "superfast" 7mbits not just any old 7mbits , get with the hype there willya :D

Details on the website now at last!!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

its pretty meh in fairness, also their 'coverage map' which up until now showed pretty good coverage in Dublin, now shows practically no coverage in Dublin?! They have loads of 'exisiting wireless coverage' but none of them are marked as wimax coming soon?

All that delay to launch this pile of crap? what a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I would think the existing coverage should be upgraded to WiMax, if it has not already been done,

If not I can only find 6 Live WiMax sites

http://www.imagine.ie/wimax-splash/view-coverage-locations.html

Can anyone work out where is covered from the map? It's fine showing the masts but how far does coverage extend? Only 6 wimax base stations but no indication of what areas they cover???

• Registered Users Posts: 1 n0t5an3

I have looked at the map on the website and it looks like the "i"'s in orange are Wimax the Blue one's are planed roll-out for Nov.

n0t5an3 wrote: »
    I have looked at the map on the website and it looks like the "i"'s in orange are Wimax the Blue one's are planed roll-out for Nov.

We can see that but not how far the coverage from each base station extends!

got the price from www.callcosts.ie not sure how up-to-date they are[URL="http://"][/URL]

ComReg up to date?? Don't make me laugh:D

Checked on Homevision website and 7Mb is 30.99 not including line rental, so total for 7Mb DSL and line rental is 56.49 without any local and national calls. Smart looks better option at 55 including call pack, 45 without.

I won't hold my breath for the Wimax rollout. If it takes them three weeks just to get the prices up on the website how long will it take them to actually get hardware up and running??? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

prices aren't that bad really. They are offering fixed and mobile solutions.

Biggest problem I see is not being able to control contention. Also as no packages seem to have download restrictions expect speeds to slow down fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hmm, I'm a bit confused, as I said earlier, I have IBB Ripwave, paying 18.95 per month for 1mb and o2 add on for 7.50 per month, a total of lets say E25 a month.

Now their "wimax broadband" seems pretty bad compared to the deal I'm on and I can't see any advantage to it. However, am I right in thinking I can get the "mobile wimax" for just E10 a month for 3mb? As in, that's 3 times faster than what I'm on at the moment, for half the price and I can cancel my o2 data package as well since I can take this with me?

cormie wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm a bit confused, as I said earlier, I have IBB Ripwave, paying 18.95 per month for 1mb and o2 add on for 7.50 per month, a total of lets say E25 a month.

Now their "wimax broadband" seems pretty bad compared to the deal I'm on and I can't see any advantage to it. However, am I right in thinking I can get the "mobile wimax" for just E10 a month for 3mb? As in, that's 3 times faster than what I'm on at the moment, for half the price and I can cancel my o2 data package as well since I can take this with me?

it would seem so, but the coverage would be very poor so the 'mobile' aspect of it might be pretty limited. thats actually not a bad deal for people to try out the service itself to see how it actually works..

Although possibly not if you have to sign up for 12 months as it says.

thebman wrote: »
    prices aren't that bad really. They are offering fixed and mobile solutions.

Biggest problem I see is not being able to control contention. Also as no packages seem to have download restrictions expect speeds to slow down fast.

Check out their terms, talk about taking the piss!
    Use of Network bandwidth is expected to be reasonable and moderate. You must ensure that your activity does not improperly degrade any other user's use of the imagine service, nor represent an unusually large burden on the network. In addition, you must ensure that your activities do not improperly restrict imagine's ability to deliver the service and monitor the service and/or network.

Fair Use Policy – Broadband
    A fair use policy applies to all WiMax Broadband Packages. The WiMax Broadband Service is a shared service and imagine reserves the right to manage the Network to ensure that all users get fair access to the Network. If users make excessive use of their WiMax Broadband Service their service may be restricted or they may be asked to subscribe to an alternative WiMax Broadband Package(s) more suitable to their usage. imagine at it’s sole discretion will define from time to time what constitutes excessive use of the WiMax Service(s) Once Customers exceed this level they will have the option to upgrade their WiMax Broadband Package(s) or their service speed may be restricted by imagine. In the event of the Customer refusing or neglecting to select an alternative WiMax Broadband Package(s), imagine may, upon due notice, terminate the provision of the WiMax Broadband Service to the Customer

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »

It would look to me that you have to subscribe for one of the packages of Wimax and you can only get the mobile broadband as an add on to your subscription.

Advertisement