Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Options
  • 06-08-2009 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭

The demo is up on the PS Store now! I'm downloading it at the minute, it's 1460 mb. Can't wait to try. I'm a massive Batman fan, and from the looks of it, Rocksteady have nailed what makes Batman...well Batman.

2 reviews so far I think. The Official Playstation Magazine gave it 9/10 and Games Master UK gave it 96 saying...
    Simply put, Batman: Arkham Asylum is a masterpiece.

Which is all getting me more and more hyped up for the game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH I can't wait to get home.

Though knowing my net connection, I won't be playing it until tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Downloading it now , looking forward to playing it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Savage wasent sposed to be up till tomorow!

nom nom nom Batman Demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

Downloading it at the moment - hopefully have it down before I gotta head to work.

And, while I'm anticipating the game, I'd be wary of pre-embargo reviews...:

http://kotaku.com/5322813/uk-mags-exclusive-review-fits-alleged-eidos-conditions

(link caught from the X-Box forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

is also on PSN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Niska wrote: »
    Downloading it at the moment - hopefully have it down before I gotta head to work.

And, while I'm anticipating the game, I'd be wary of pre-embargo reviews...:

http://kotaku.com/5322813/uk-mags-exclusive-review-fits-alleged-eidos-conditions

(link caught from the X-Box forum).

Yeah I'm usually wary of exclusive reviews too. Thing is all I want from a Batman game is it to be on average 8/10 game. Wouldn't expect it to be much higher. So if the exclusive reviews bumped up the score by a point or so, you can take that out, but I'd automatically add a point or more for it being a good Batman game, so it all balances out for me!

I even enjoyed the Batman Begins game. They could put the Bat symbol on a big piece of poo and I'd still buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Woo! Downloading when I get home and calling in sick tomorrow.

Related:

20090805.gif

Anyone worried that the game is going to crap should watch IGN's Demo video's the combat is outstanding i mean look at this!!

Just finished the demo there. It's long enough, gives you a good taste of what the game will be like I'd say. I don't think I'll ever get sick of the inverted take downs. It's exactly the kind of Batman game I'd want. I kinda like that the combat starting off is pretty much how 'cool can you look?' and so effortless, because it should be, you're Batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Dling now please :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The demo is out!!!!

*blur of motion as moves to turn on PS3*

*EDIT* aidan_walsh....that comic is EPIC....and so true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Going by the demo, it's looking like it will be a very good game.

Only 22 days left now till I get my Batarang :D

Ya, finished the demo earlier on.. Am i the only person who thinks it's repetitive? Grapple, glide, kick, grapple, glide, kick.

Ya, finished the demo earlier on.. Am i the only person who thinks it's repetitive? Grapple, glide, kick, grapple, glide, kick.

Later on though you have to try and split up groups of guards and stuff by creating distractions, blowing out walls and stuff. Bear in mind that's the first level. For me it was Grapple, inverted take down, Grapple. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Loved the demo, so will definitely be picking this one up. Will have to pre-order it tomorrow. Really looking forward to the final game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

so has anyone else played the demo? whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

played it last night.
    Thought it was very good - graphics are spot on, as are controls. good mix of action and stealth.
    Thought so good about it I pre-ordered it straight away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

RikD wrote: »
    played it last night.
    Thought it was very good - graphics are spot on, as are controls. good mix of action and stealth.
    Thought so good about it I pre-ordered it straight away :)

awesome dude, I've been trying not to read too much about it, or watch videos, I'm hoping to just buy it when it comes out... good to hear people are liking it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

Played it last night also, at first I thought the camera was feckin ****e, but it seemed to only be an issue when in smal rooms, it would get up close as it should, but to close and then you couldnt see anything, but ya. It's looking to be a great game, I got in on that hut pre-order and snagged it for 28euro. I do have one nagging question....wtf cant batman JUMP, grapple sure, glide sure, but why no jump.

C|F

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I'm still a bit on the fence about it. I felt that I was being led by the hand through the whole demo. Performing actions felt just a bit too easy. "Press square to Glide Kick" where's the sense of achievement in that?

There was absolutely no tense moments during the demo. I never felt that, almost 'afraid to turn a corner for fear of getting your ass handed to you' feeling that you'd find in similar games like MGS or Splinter Cell.

I did enjoy it, but if that's all it has to offer then I think I'd get bored real fast.

Voice acting and art direction are top notch though. I especially liked the Joker interview tapes.

• Advertisement

gloobag wrote: »
    There was absolutely no tense moments during the demo. I never felt that, almost 'afraid to turn a corner for fear of getting your ass handed to you' feeling that you'd find in similar games like MGS or Splinter Cell.

That's because you're Batman, that's not how he rolls. He's the one dishing out the fear. It's the thugs who shoudl be afraid of what's coming around the corner! To me it felt exactly like a Batman game, not some generic game with Batman characters painted on.

I imagine it gets tougher and you have to be more imaginative in the ways you take down the generic guards and stuff when they're all in groups. I got spotted at one stage and had a fair chunk of my health taken off from a couple of rounds from a gun, so I imagine it will get more challenging later on.

The developer's have said many times in interviews that they didn't want to make it tough for Batman to deal with a few standard thugs at the start and have you learn combos and stuff, because that's just not Batman. They want him to be able to hold his own from the start, and I'm guessing it's in the boss battles and the quantity of thugs later on where the real challenge comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I would argue that the aim of a game should not be to make the main character feel like a bad-ass, but to make the player controlling that character feel like a bad-ass. I'm sorry, but for me 'press X to watch Batman knock out this bad guy' does not make me feel like I've accomplished anything.

But the combat isn't really the focus of it anyway. It's the stealth type situations and finding the most effective way of subduing a room of bad guys is where the accomplishment comes in. You can do the glide kick every time, but that make noise and alerts the others to where you are, so I imagine that won't be a viable option later on in the game.

I think it's part of the story mechanic too. Batman doesn't think it's too big of a deal at first and thinks he can handle the situation relatively quickly and easily, and you can at the start.

If the entire game was like the demo in terms of difficulty and variety, then yes it would be repetitive and far too easy. I'm guessing what the game is going to be like as you progress, and that's why I like the demo, because it gives a good idea of the potential of the game at least.

Anyway you're talking to a guy with 2 Batman tattoos so even a semi-decent Batman game would get 10/10 from me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVTSBxN58_o This youtube video gives a pretty good indication of what the game will be like as you progress I think. That it won't be quite as straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

Good demo all right.

Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill together again... 'nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I think the demo is awesome, you can really feel the power in the punches and kicks, the gfx are lovely too. Pitty I missed the hut's offer of £23.43 during the week :eek: :(

CC

This is a must buy for me.

Ahhhhhhh i want to play this now!!!!!!!!!

Got to play 2 sec's of it last night before my xbox died....have to download it again on PSN ( thats what I get)

Two newish video's of Batman Arkham Asylum

Great demo, I really enjoyed, I can't wait to see what the full game has to offer.

As your man from the Amstel add say's
    ''This is gonna be great'' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Had very little interest before, but now, it seems bloody good.

Loved the combat and the general epic-ness of everything.

Just need money now for this, Guitar Hero 5, Forza 3 and of course scribblenauts...

• Advertisement

Just need money now for this, Guitar Hero 5, Forza 3 and of course scribblenauts...

Scribblenauts looks good but GH5 and F3? Ugh, and i was beginning to think you had good taste :P

(Only reason i'm hating on F3 is because all the 12 year old 360 fanboys be saying that F3 is gonna be better than GT5... ye...)

Advertisement