Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I have to say, I don't think I've ever been so wrong about a game. I hated the demo and only picked this up because it was €12 on Zavvi. So far, I'm loving it. The combat is great and the detective parts are fun too.

Between this and AC2 I missed some great games in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

just spent ages trying to get the trophy for using all Batmans move and keep failing, does anyone have and idea how to do it even the most simple fact would help (at some point press square even), an order to do the moves or location, i keep breaking my combo for no reason.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Takes a lot of swearing at TV to get through it though!

Had a young cousin watching as i played the superhero game, i was going insane from not being able to swear or shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Varik wrote: »
    just spent ages trying to get the trophy for using all Batmans move and keep failing, does anyone have and idea how to do it even the most simple fact would help (at some point press square even), an order to do the moves or location, i keep breaking my combo for no reason.

Had a young cousin watching as i played the superhero game, i was going insane from not being able to swear or shout.

I think I ended up getting that trophy in the combat challenge rooms. I think one of the times I got it was in the sewer challenge room, can't remember the name of it. It's hard to remember the moves you're doing like you said. Even when I was keeping track I found I kept missing one or two in the panic. The good thing about doing it in the challenge rooms is that at the end it'll tell you how many different moves you did in your variety bonus. There's 9 in total.

I generally started off with a grapple pulling three guys towards me, then punch until I had the special combo meter thingy full, jump over one guy and throw another clean across the room, I'd jump across the room to the guy I'd thrown by doing a ground takedown, that usually made me jump so far it would take me far enough away from the other goons that I had time for the takedown. As I was getting up I'd let fly with the batarangs and then keep punching some more until I had the combo meter thingy full again and was able to do the instant takedown. I think that's all the moves covered, and it was pretty much the order I stuck to anyway.

EDIT: Forgot about the counter, but that's usually one you get anyway in the course of a battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

The free flow perfection trophy and the shock and awe extreme combat challenge were the 2 most frustrating parts for me but got my plat in the end

Just got the 3 bats on shock and awe on normal only just got it at 30k because i managed to get 20k in the first 2 rounds and just got the other 10k in the last 2. This game is fun predator missions followed by repeating the combat missions over and over again.

edit: Got the free flow perfection, apparently if a batarang is the last move you need to finish the guy as well a hit him with it. I was using batarang last all the time and getting 8 only but this time was close enough to do a ground take-down, and i did it on Rumble in the Jungle normal in round 1.

• Advertisement

I just won shock and awe (extreme) and scored myself 41,370. To NotorietyH and you score that spent it's time taunting me as i spent hours just trying to at least pass this stupid challenge, ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I'm gna get this on ps3 for the trophies, have nearly all achievements for xbox version. I miss it :) awesome game. If uncharted 2 hadn't come out would have won all the GOTY awards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ya think after the success of batman A.A theyll bring out a superman game :)

ya think after the success of batman A.A theyll bring out a superman game :)

No, even if this was not a batman game and was an new ip it would have still done well. Arkham Asylum was a good game not because it had batman that was an additional bonus to a great game already.

This really is a very long game. I'm currently trying to
    track down Killer Croc.
    It has been enjoyable so far but I hope it doesn't overstay its welcome. I though ACII went on a little bit too long, as did Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, two recent games I've beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I would of liked it to go on for longer, not once did I feel the game went on for too long

TheTosh wrote: »
    I would of liked it to go on for longer, not once did I feel the game went on for too long

I'm inclined to agree. The game could've been 50 hours long and I'd still want more.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree. The game could've been 50 hours long and I'd still want more.

As odd as the Joker is no one considers 50 hour a night(as the game unfolds over), maybe the next one in the city will have some street crime that you prevent and will be a few days in length rather than a single night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

This really is a very long game. I'm currently trying to
    track down Killer Croc.
    It has been enjoyable so far but I hope it doesn't overstay its welcome. I though ACII went on a little bit too long, as did Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, two recent games I've beaten.

its about what 12 hours long? thats the minimum I'd expect form a full price game. This game was so well executed and polished I was distraught when I realised I was reaching the end.

Varik wrote: »
    As odd as the Joker is no one considers 50 hour a night(as the game unfolds over), maybe the next one in the city will have some street crime that you prevent and will be a few days in length rather than a single night.

lol yeah hadn't thought of that. Forgot that it basically took place in real-time. I imagine the atmosphere wouldn't have been quite as effective in daylight!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,576 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Started playing this again today (after finally getting a Platinum in Ass creed 2) I threw this on to finish the 20 or so puzzles. Forgot how brilliant this game is and wish there enemies to fight after clearing it. I only put it on to waste sometime but now I'm gonna get all the riddles, clear the challenge rooms (and try get those tricky trophies doing them) and then replay the game on hard and go for my 2nd plat!

This and AC 2 were THEE best games last year (and this year!)

Glad they are gonna keep the riddles in the next game as well.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Started playing this again today (after finally getting a Platinum in Ass creed 2) I threw this on to finish the 20 or so puzzles. Forgot how brilliant this game is and wish there enemies to fight after clearing it. I only put it on to waste sometime but now I'm gonna get all the riddles, clear the challenge rooms (and try get those tricky trophies doing them) and then replay the game on hard and go for my 2nd plat!

This and AC 2 were THEE best games last year (and this year!)

Glad they are gonna keep the riddles in the next game as well.

Hard isn't too hard but you don't get the icon over people head so you don't know when to counter or stun(other than looking carefully), make traps with the gel and upgrade to proximity gel, get the 3 batarangs and the upgrade fighting. if you get hit you'll get hit a lot so the extra health may only be needed near the end, do the riddles again in hard the extra xp is very helpful.

If you do all the challenges first the you'll be in better shape to handle the more alert guards and stronger tugs, as i didn't know most of the special thing batman can do.

Found a class vid!! Secret room in the Wardens Office. Shows a map of Arkham city and some concept art. I'll let the boys explain on the vid. Fairly cool out of the developers! Wonder what other secrets are in this game!!

1493485batman10super.jpg

I like the fact you can see the knives in Arkham city, that was one of the things i didn't like that you couldn't see knives in a group in the challenge maps. orange= gun & knives are yellow for the weapon only.

1493469batman1super.jpg

New Harley costume
    1493471batman4super.jpg

Two face is big in the next game as well.

batman_arkham_city_screens2-620x348.jpg`

4947858559_1ff9e4fba2_mhxo.jpg

I want a trailer. I'm so giddy looking at these.

• Advertisement

I just finished AA today. I enjoyed it a lot. Had I played it last year it would have been one of my favourites of 2009. Probably on Uncharted 2 was better.

I'm at about 80% completion. I think I will try and find the remaining Riddler riddles. But the challenges though, ***k that. I tried most of them and they are so tough. I beat the game on hard but they are so hard. I'd like to Platinum this game but I won't get the challenge trophies.

The hardest trophy so far was the one where you have to use all your combat moves in one flowing move. Took a while but I got it.

Just got the freeflow perfection (all moves in 1 combo) last night. Man that was tough but I'm trying it in every challenge now as it gives you 500 points!

Almost have the silver combat and silver predator trophy. Gold in each is gonna be very hard but i'm gonna keep plugging away. other than those, I onle need Party Poopers and Hard finish trophy. Will have no problem playing through this gem of a game again. I'll wait til I have the challenges done 1st though.

PS. I have never cursed so much at my telly as I have done with these challenges.

Just got the freeflow perfection (all moves in 1 combo) last night. Man that was tough but I'm trying it in every challenge now as it gives you 500 points!

Almost have the silver combat and silver predator trophy. Gold in each is gonna be very hard but i'm gonna keep plugging away. other than those, I onle need Party Poopers and Hard finish trophy. Will have no problem playing through this gem of a game again. I'll wait til I have the challenges done 1st though.

PS. I have never cursed so much at my telly as I have done with these challenges.

What I did to help keep myself sane during the challenges when I was going for the plat (and 100% complete on Xbox) was to listen to podcasts while I was doing 'em. Just so the constant repeating of the same level didn't make me throw my ps3 out the window. Having some sort of distraction really helps me anyway, really cuts down on the frustration factor as playing the game just becomes something to do while I'm listening to my iPod rather than the whole focus of my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

well you'll have plenty more cursing to come perfecting the extreme combat challenges. bad idea to do them late at night also, I seemed to develop sleep tourette's after a night of constant attempts of the same level :eek:
    then after getting a few elbows from the OH to calm me down id get up to go back to the game in the middle of the night

well you'll have plenty more cursing to come perfecting the extreme combat challenges. bad idea to do them late at night also, I seemed to develop sleep tourette's after a night of constant attempts of the same level :eek:
    then after getting a few elbows from the OH to calm me down id get up to go back to the game in the middle of the night

Oh my God man, last few nights have been the exact same, playing till about 12, then heading to bed, can't sleep and getting the elbows to settle me! haha

wow....might leave this off till after the weekend when I have a few days off work. thanks man!

ps. shiitin the extreme combat but I got 2 medals on first attempt of the 1st one. Shock & Awe extreme is just an ass pounder. only level I don't have a medal in.

You guys are driving me over the edge!!! Ima gna have to get this again at the weekend now :(

Foudn a great faq about the combat mechanics. Excellent detail about each move, multipliers, combos and points.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/952338-batman-arkham-asylum/faqs/57661

I'm gonna be trying a lot more ground and pound after reading it.

other than those, I onle need Party Poopers and Hard finish trophy.

I take it you'll be playing again on hard only and not try to do the both in two games(hard and normal), the party pooper i got on normal and it's easy but on hard you don't get the warning of when someone will attack and each hit does a large amount of damage.

Party Poopers on hard.

Spray proximity gel along one side of the hall, it'll go off only when the enemies are now hostile.

use the batline rope thing to move down the other side and you'll kick each thug and knock them down, as this happens the gel will have gone off.

the room is full of thug on the ground, take the out as fast as possible and use instant takedowns as often as possible and use batarangs when the combo is over 2X to knock them out for a while.

Thanks Varik. I'll play through on hard at night time (mostly non frustrating fun) Will break up the challenges a bit anyway. I feel like I could actually take out a room full of thugs blindfolded! I read before the game on hard is easier than playing on normal when you lash into the challenge mode you get so good at the combat system.

• Advertisement

Thanks Varik. I'll play through on hard at night time (mostly non frustrating fun) Will break up the challenges a bit anyway. I feel like I could actually take out a room full of thugs blindfolded! I read before the game on hard is easier than playing on normal when you lash into the challenge mode you get so good at the combat system.

Ye i finished all the challenges first and then did hard, the predator missions help in that you learn of more way to defeat enemies and learn some of maps off better and get vastly better at these sections, the combat challenges help but it's not as big as the help given by the predator ones with the change in the combat system. you'll feel more like batman as you'll be taking out enemies much faster with stealth using cooler ways and then dealing with them in direct combat. If you played normal again i think the game would be vastly easier

Try to get some of the riddles in hard again for the xp it'll help a lot.

I didn't have any trouble with any part of the game on hard, after doing shock and awe on extreme anything will feel easy, but guards are more alert so they'll see you easier.
    In the fight with bane don't bother with the thugs and don't use any ground takedowns, only fight them if there in the way while your running away form them or in the way when you try to get to bane.

Do the challenges on the save game you have all the upgrades not the hard game your doing now, so that'll be the normal save. the party pooper was easy on normal, but i tried again on hard a few time before coming up with that strategy.

Advertisement