Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question Thread - Got a question? Ask here

Options
  • 08-03-2009 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of people seem a bit intimidated to ask questions which they feel may be a bit silly or whatever. Well this is the place to ask such questions. We all were new to this once and the only way people learn is by asking questions.

Smart ass questions or replies will be dealt with in the form of a ban.

Anywho go ahead and enjoy :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

How long would you have to wait after getting a tattoo before doing a hard work out in the gym and swim in pools or rivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

To the best of my knowledge you've to wait around 3months before swimming. A hard workout from others I've heard about a few days but im pretty sure this isn't recommended. Also depends where the tattoo is. If it's on your leg it won't cause much hassle unless you're running. If it's on your bicep i would imagine lifting heavy weights etc would be quite uncomfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Will wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge you've to wait around 3months before swimming. A hard workout from others I've heard about a few days but im pretty sure this isn't recommended. Also depends where the tattoo is. If it's on your leg it won't cause much hassle unless you're running. If it's on your bicep i would imagine lifting heavy weights etc would be quite uncomfortable
    Unless your doing squats, leg curls leg press and other leg exercises

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

i was told 3 weeks to avoid chlorine in the pool and to make sure tat was healed nicely by that time, which mine were anyway, as for gym work out i went for workouts within a few days , some of my gym work was a bit uncomfortable but all in all i was ok.

You have to remember everyone is different ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Teferi wrote: »
    How long would you have to wait after getting a tattoo before doing a hard work out in the gym and swim in pools or rivers?

I woudve said 2-3 weeks before swimming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

1. Has anyone had any problems getting jobs because of your tattoo's?

I'm not talking about nurses/gardaí etc. just regular office/retail/service industry employment.

2. If you get a black tattoo how badly will it fade over time?

Will it spread out/blur to surrounding skin or will it just get lighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Can't answer the first question, but I can answer your second.

All tattoos will fade over time. How much depends on a whole range of factors, including your own body, the exposure to sunlight and many other factors. Black ink would probably fade least, or at least remain the most visable ink, but would likely fade to a light charcoal kind of colour. How much it will blur/spread will again depend on your own skin, and where on your body the tattoo was done, as different areas will hold the ink with differing degrees of success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kelly=]

Hey I just wanna know the best places for piercings in Dublin . . I've heard of Snakebite, Celestial Ring, Adonis and Bodyshock. . Any tips on which is best? Thanks. :)

Mine was done by Steve in Snakebite, and others that I recommended him to, once they had been pierced by him, thought he was one of the very best. Couldn't recommend him highly enough.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I find celestial ring (or Wildcat as it's now called) in Stephen's Green to be great. TBH, you're probably gonna get a load of different responses here :)

edit: Anne is the girl who I go to, she's really good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Steve in Snakebite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Thinking of getting a tongue web piercing.

Will there be much swelling involved?

Shouldn't really be much/any swelling with the tongue web AFAIK, there's not enough tissue there to swell!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

any of the older lads in snakebite although they do charge alot for jewellery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rebelbabe

ok i want an ankh cross for my first tattoo, as this is very meaningful to me, but i dont know where to place it

i cant get it done for at least six months due to my swimming coaching and lifegaurd prep work and training, i cant be out of the water for more than one week, also i hope to be a primary school teacher so taking that and the fact i teach very young kids to swim into account i need to be able to cover it if necessary

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

I hope to get a tattoo in the next 6 months, its my first one and am hoping to get a celtic cross on my back, with the top of the cross just at the base of my neck,

I;ve been searching around and found a few i like and might change them abit to make it unique,

I've also seen that celtic tattoo are hard to do so was looking for any reccommendations for celtic tattoo or places that speclise in them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Have a look here:>
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055502557
    and theres a thread with links to artists portfolios near the top of page one.

Not being narky, but take a look around at some older posts, chances are what you need to know has been recently dealt with.
    Good luck with the tattoo. Post a pic when its done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Sasaa

Well.. its now more than three weeks & i know the tattoo is still in the healing process, but.. some of the lines are not as.. clear? as they were right after tattooing. It looks.. pointy at some places & not really properly. Is this still from the healing or is it from the tatooing? :S

That's the kind of thing that only shows up once the tattoo is healing/healed Sasaa.
    It's why tattoo artists generally offer a free touch-up within the first 2 months or so.

That's the kind of thing that only shows up once the tattoo is healing/healed Sasaa.
    It's why tattoo artists generally offer a free touch-up within the first 2 months or so.
    He never told me that :S
    Ah well.. i guess i just call in at the weekend & let him have a look, cause at the 24.March im already leaving.

• Advertisement

Yeah they should touch it up for you without any charge!

You'll have to still come in to talk to us and let us know how your tattoos / future tattoo plans are doing when you're gone Sasaa!

im gonna check it out at Saturday, or at least at the phone :)

Dont worry, i will :)
    & i even think i might appear to one of your meetings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

How long is a good time to wait before changing jewellery in a PA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bam-bam

Hey All,
    Been thinking about getting my first tattoo in a few weeks time, was thinking bout getting it in Raven but have just read a few bad reviews about the place so where would ye suggest???
    I'm looking to get the tattoo on my middle back but am finding it hard to find any pics or galleries on the net with tattoos to suit my middle back, anyone have any links???

Depends on if you mean sizing up or just putting in alternative jewellery of the same size.
    For sizing up I was recommended to wait a year by my piercer.
    It self stretches a little, so after the year a larger piece of jewellery slipped in no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spiderpig101

Quick question, how long should I leave it before scuba diving, after having a tattoo done? I have heard 6 weeks, just trying to plan some work.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Depends on if you mean sizing up or just putting in alternative jewellery of the same size.
    For sizing up I was recommended to wait a year by my piercer.
    It self stretches a little, so after the year a larger piece of jewellery slipped in no problem.
    I was told that aswell. I meant just putting in different jewellery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

bam-bam wrote: »
    Hey All,
    Been thinking about getting my first tattoo in a few weeks time, was thinking bout getting it in Raven but have just read a few bad reviews about the place so where would ye suggest???
    I'm looking to get the tattoo on my middle back but am finding it hard to find any pics or galleries on the net with tattoos to suit my middle back, anyone have any links???

Tattoo Zoo, North Main St.
    Tribal Ink, Kyle St. (I think)
    Smily Dogg, Marlboro St.

They seem to be the best recommended. Go in and check out some Portfolios. Stay away from Raven + Red Dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

bam-bam wrote: »
    Hey All,

I presume you're in Cork from Kersmash' response, being in Dublin I can't fully recommend anywhere that I've experience with, Karen Russell in Holy Cow is good for old school I hear. My core piece of advice is think very long and hard before you put a tattoo in the centre of your back, the reason I advise this is that if you get this 1st tattoo and you really like tattooing and end up wanting more (which a great many people do) you've already restricted yourself on the biggest canvas you have.....so many people have almost great backpieces because of small, old tattoos. Just think hard if your back is the best place to start. Good luck,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Hi,

If I go into a piercing studio to buy a new labret ring and have them put it in for me. Can I ask for a diferent one if the one they put in is too big? This has happened 3 times now where different places have sworn it is the smallest that will fit and much smaller than the one I am already wearing, only for them to put it in and me to discover that it is way to big and sitting at a cumbersome diagonal. Each time I have complained and they have said that I'm just not used to it and it is way smaller. Each time I have taken them out to find that they are exactly the same size as the previous one. Of course I keep losing the new rings before I can go back and show them...eek.

Is there any way I can say, hey, if you can't estimate the size right, keep going til you do? Or if they put something in my lip would they have to throw it away if I didn't want it? It's costing me a fortune!

Advertisement