Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question Thread - Got a question? Ask here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Are you asking for info and or horror stories to be well informed, or to get scared off of getting it done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Its a 16g needle passing through a part of your body, its going to hurt and yes its going to swell. The piercer will give you a longer barbell at first to accomadate the swelling, and they should give you a shorter one when you are done healing free of charge.

If you use mouthwash, you should give it a rest while healing, or at the very least make sure its alcohol-free. Any other info you need, your piercer will give you.

And all the shops in North County Dublin are fairly good, where abouts are you? Anywhere near town? Id suggest Connected Ink in Temple Bar, or either of the 2 Wildcat Stuidos. Further North, Stigmata-Tau in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

where is a good place Snakebite in Middle Abbey Street (3rd floor, door beside Twisted Pepper)
    whats it like to get done It's like having a needle put through your tongue...
    is it unpleasant (does the piercer have to hold your tongue???!!) As pleasant as getting a needle through part of your body tends to be! Comfort/pain varies from person to person. And yes of course they have to hold your tongue, but they will use a little clamp style thing to do so.
    any problems afterwards (swelling, teeth issues etc) It'll swell of course. Don't 'play' with the piercing (Clicking it off your teeth etc) and you won't have too many problems with your teeth.
    after care The piercer will explain this to you in great detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 theneurotic

Someone might be more sure about this than I am... I got a new tattoo about 10 days ago (love it :)), but I'm in quite a lot of pain after spending an entire day turning turf on the bog :p yep, true culchie. Question is though, is it a major don't to jump into a sauna to ease my aching muscles? It's a private dry sauna so I doubt there are many lingering germs, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not seeing as my tat's still shiny and new?:confused: help appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

if it was me i personally wouldnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i would let it settle for alot longer then 10/11 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I got an industrial piercing when I was in the States about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks ago. The place I went to was generally considered to be one of the top places in the city to go to. The piercer was very professional and I felt she done a good job. Now the lower part of the piercing seems to have a bit of a lump of cartilage around it and I'm wondering if that's normal? Would it be okay to walk into Snakebite (for example) and ask them for advice on the piercing since I obviously can't go back to the place that pierced me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

How do I upload an image without it uploading as a link or attachment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

If you have it one another site(bebo etc) just copy and paste the image

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Why does raze like sheep?

Answers on a post card to;

bareback farm,
    kilkenny
    ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Will wrote: »
    Why does raze like sheep?

Answers on a post card to;

bareback farm,
    kilkenny
    ireland
    awwww man harsh :(

Why do gingers exist???

Answers to will and emo's pm's please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Because the world needs more sexy redheads and less sheepshaggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Gingers exist to smite you and shizz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Will wrote: »
    Gigers

It's like a ginger and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Hey everyone
    I got my lip pierced about 6 months ago, got it taken out and now want to get it pierced again in the same place. Is it true that getting scar tissue pierced hurts more?
    Also out of curiosity, does anyone else find cartilage piercings much more painful than other places? For instance i found getting my navel and earlobes almost painless but fainted when i got my helix pierced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 capcap

Hi All,

I've got what probably seems like a stupid question...

I just got my third tattoo and I realised that I never saw them take a needle out of any sort of packaging - but as it was on my back and I was facing the other way... maybe I just didn't see it. Do most places here in Ireland use disposable/one use needles? My first tattoo was done in the States 10 years ago, the second in Dublin 4 years ago - both used disposable needles. Is there any sort of regulation put in place by the department of health on tattoos?

Thanks,
    capcap

Nope, it's not a regulated industry. I've never heard of anyone in Ireland not using a disposable one-use needle though, so I'd be pretty sure that you're fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 capcap

Thanks Damo.

I can be a bit of a hypochondriac sometimes!

No problem! In order to avoid worries like that, make sure it's a reputable place you're going to, which you can trust! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

At the moment i'm considering an tongue frenulum piercing (have to keep it small and hidden as i'm in a client facing job at the moment) and just had a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

(1) I've read varying reports, some saying that frenulum length and vein placement can completely prevent you from getting the piercing and others that say it will only affect the piercings placement - which is true ?
    (2) Is it very common for this to affect speech in a person (I'd be looking at a barbell as opposed to ring if this makes a difference), second to that generally how long could it take for speech to return to normal as I'd probably have to return to work within two days max after piercing
    (3) I am correct in my assumption that this piercing is pretty difficult to see ? I'd rather people not wondering whats glinting when I give presentations :D (I'm sure acrylic Vs. metal would help with this anyway)
    (4) I've also read that rejections and migration of this piercing is quite common. Just how common would this be ? (Obviously it will depend on the person but a rough idea would be good ?)

Thanks in advance guys

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

Hey everyone
    I got my lip pierced about 6 months ago, got it taken out and now want to get it pierced again in the same place. Is it true that getting scar tissue pierced hurts more?
    Also out of curiosity, does anyone else find cartilage piercings much more painful than other places? For instance i found getting my navel and earlobes almost painless but fainted when i got my helix pierced!
    I had my nose pierced a few years back and it fell out while i was asleep and never found the stud and it closed up.
    Then this january i got both sides done, i got the side done that hadn't been pierced before done first cause i was scared of the other side hurting too much from the scar tissue :o
    but turns out it only hurt a little bit more than getting it pierced straight off.
    it's only a second pain for what you'll have for a good while hopefully :)

and yesss! getting cartiladge pierced for me, is always the sorest.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

c - 13 wrote: »
    (1) I've read varying reports, some saying that frenulum length and vein placement can completely prevent you from getting the piercing and others that say it will only affect the piercings placement - which is true ?
    I can't imagine the veins having an impact on this unless you had barely any frenulum at all. However, I'd get a couple of studios to look at you and see what they think if you're concerned about this.
    (2) Is it very common for this to affect speech in a person (I'd be looking at a barbell as opposed to ring if this makes a difference), second to that generally how long could it take for speech to return to normal as I'd probably have to return to work within two days max after piercing
    I didn't find it affected my speech at all. It was tender for the next couple of days, but nothing too bad. Foods to avoid would be apples, chewing gum and baguettes. Basically any large type foods that you have to open your mouth really wide to eat. I was back to work the day after I got mine and was grand.
    (3) I am correct in my assumption that this piercing is pretty difficult to see ? I'd rather people not wondering whats glinting when I give presentations :D (I'm sure acrylic Vs. metal would help with this anyway)
    Mine was virtually invisible unless I actually stuck out/up my tongue and showed people. Also if I yawned. But you'd be covering your mouth yawning anyway so it wouldn't be seen.
    (4) I've also read that rejections and migration of this piercing is quite common. Just how common would this be ? (Obviously it will depend on the person but a rough idea would be good ?)
    I've heard rejections/migration are common too, although I didn't experience them. Alas, what finished mine off in the end was when one of the little balls fell off the end of my barbell, and by the time I got a new bar, it had closed up. Planning on getting it re-pierced at the end of august. That's one bit of advice I'd give you, check the little balls every few days just to make sure they're still tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Toots* wrote: »
    I can't imagine the veins having an impact on this unless you had barely any frenulum at all. However, I'd get a couple of studios to look at you and see what they think if you're concerned about this.

I didn't find it affected my speech at all. It was tender for the next couple of days, but nothing too bad. Foods to avoid would be apples, chewing gum and baguettes. Basically any large type foods that you have to open your mouth really wide to eat. I was back to work the day after I got mine and was grand.

Mine was virtually invisible unless I actually stuck out/up my tongue and showed people. Also if I yawned. But you'd be covering your mouth yawning anyway so it wouldn't be seen.

I've heard rejections/migration are common too, although I didn't experience them. Alas, what finished mine off in the end was when one of the little balls fell off the end of my barbell, and by the time I got a new bar, it had closed up. Planning on getting it re-pierced at the end of august. That's one bit of advice I'd give you, check the little balls every few days just to make sure they're still tight.

Thanks Toots*. Spoke to herself last night and she seems to like the idea of that piercing so a little more research and I think ill get it done then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ChuckyODuinn

Who is the best tattoo artist in preferbly Dublin or any where in Ireland to do script and letters in Black.Dose not matter how expensive.

Regards
    Chucky

• Registered Users Posts: 7 horse and cart

Hi there,
    Just enquiring about the prices as regards getting a tattoo done. From Clare and thinking about getting one done in Bullman's in Limerick or Tat Zoo in Cork.

We couldn't give you a price, because prices vary from artist to artist, and will depend on size, complexity and the time it will take to do. Prices range from €80-€150 per hour from what I can tell.

We couldn't give you a price, because prices vary from artist to artist, and will depend on size, complexity and the time it will take to do. Prices range from €80-€150 per hour from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 milklady

ok think thats what their called,you know the surface piercings??ok one got caught and seemed to pull out a bit and is now infected???i need them taken out for an op in two weeks?ok question is how do they come out???also should i wait until it heals???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

surface piercing
    napebig.jpg

skin tag
    skintag-main_Full.jpg

Advertisement