Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options
  • 14-05-2007 5:52pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well here it is. Seem as we get an inordinate amount of New York threads, all queries about hotels, shopping, transport, pubs, clubs etc should go here.

To keep this thread fresh and manageable, older posts will be trimmed on a regular basis, but can still be found by going to this thread for some of the older posts. For more recent posts (from 13/03/08 - to the post beneath this) read here. You'll also find many, many older New York threads by doing a search. Always try searching first, as your question has probably been covered.

. 2 votes

0% 0 votes
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You'd get a hotel at a cheaper rate than that.

I'm looking in Union Square specifically first and the only hotel I've found on the cheap is the Union Square inn. The trouble is there is 3 of us going, all guys and hotels etc only do 2 x double beds most of the time and not always have a spare couch. We could share a bed but we'd rather a bit of space and it doesn't bother us to pay a little more to have an Apartment over a hotel. €200 a night for 3 people in NYC is still cheap for a week's trip.

So back to the question at hand - anyone ever rent an apartment on Craigslist?
    I should add that the person replied saying we would pay €200 deposit through paypal and meet her at the apartment when we get there. At least with Paypal we can't get screwed over since they can reclaim it back if you get cheated out of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

you may well end up getting your money back but it's not going to be fun wandering around new york looking for a hotel if you do get scammed. all the advice states that it's illegal to sublet many apartments in nyc, if i were you i'd keep an eye on www.1800hotels.com for deals and buy 2 rooms, you never know one of you may get lucky and want the spare room

i got a great deal for the fitzpatrick grand central through that site for €80 a night, you could use www.betterbidding.com for tips on using hotwire and priceline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

I stayed in the New Yorker hotel on 8th Avenue, its wasnt very nice. It was central though, 2 mins walk from Madison Square Gardens. It costs €240 a night for a double room, requested a twin room but they said they had none left. Room was small, old definely not worth €240 a night. That was the cheapest place I could get a month before.

I would recommend new york pass, I got a two day pass, it is well worth it fitted in so much, altough there is so much to do with pass it is hard to fit it all in. Costs about €67 each for a two day ticket. Even got to see Bruce Springteen's Dressing Room and stage beening set up for his concert that night on the Madision Square Gardens tour. See http://www.newyorkpass.com/

Also would recommend a Broadway Musical, Ice skating at the Rockafeller centre, helicopter ride over manhattan.

Loved the M&M store, FAO Swartz, Disney Store, MTV Store.

Love to go back there again at christmas time for the switching on of the lights & Jingle Bells Concert or st patrick's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Is there any museum in NY that has a tyrannosaurus rex skeleton on display?! Or any other big dynosaurs?

dereko1969 wrote: »
    you may well end up getting your money back but it's not going to be fun wandering around new york looking for a hotel if you do get scammed. all the advice states that it's illegal to sublet many apartments in nyc, if i were you i'd keep an eye on www.1800hotels.com for deals and buy 2 rooms, you never know one of you may get lucky and want the spare room

i got a great deal for the fitzpatrick grand central through that site for €80 a night, you could use www.betterbidding.com for tips on using hotwire and priceline

What is hotwire?

• Advertisement

Is there any museum in NY that has a tyrannosaurus rex skeleton on display?! Or any other big dynosaurs?

The American Museum of Natural History has that kind of stuff. It is the museum used in the Ben Stiller Movie " A Night at the Museum". See www.amnh.org

I wasnt in it but heard it was good, was in the one in London which was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah, pretty cool dino section in the Natural History Museum on the upper west side. You could spend days in the place!!!

http://www.amnh.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Museum_of_Natural_History

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

I've heard that Hostels are **** expensivbe in New York. What would be the cheapest they would go for?

Well hotels start at €150 a night per room

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Anybody got any recommendations for Paddy's week in NY ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Girlfirend and I are staying in Comfort Inn Long Island City for €454.98 including taxes and charges. King size non smoking for 6 nights. 15 mins from times square (taxi). Subway close by.

Hope its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

Looking for ideas for shows to see on Broadway at the end of march / early april. Also looking for recommendaitons on restaurants, places i have already been include Gordan Ramseys, Tavern on the Green, Mariott revolving restaurant so somewhere in the price range of the above. Thank you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

ciaramc wrote: »
    What is hotwire?
    it's a site for bidding on hotels and flights
    http://www.hotwire.com/
    if you'd gone into www.betterbidding.com you'd have seen that there are all sorts of recommendations on how to bid for these hotels. basically you blind bid on hotels in certain areas, like you bid on hotels in the madison square gardens area, or lower east side etc but you don't know which hotel you've won until you win it but betterbidding will enable you to accurately guess which hotel it is by whether or not it has wifi, gym etc,
    you can get very good deals on it, for example by going here
    http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?autocom=custom&page=calendar
    you can put in your dates and see what hotels people have won, i put in april 5 and people have won the 4* crowne plaza on times square for $159

dereko1969 wrote: »
    it's a site for bidding on hotels and flights
    http://www.hotwire.com/
    if you'd gone into www.betterbidding.com you'd have seen that there are all sorts of recommendations on how to bid for these hotels. basically you blind bid on hotels in certain areas, like you bid on hotels in the madison square gardens area, or lower east side etc but you don't know which hotel you've won until you win it but betterbidding will enable you to accurately guess which hotel it is by whether or not it has wifi, gym etc,
    you can get very good deals on it, for example by going here
    http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?autocom=custom&page=calendar
    you can put in your dates and see what hotels people have won, i put in april 5 and people have won the 4* crowne plaza on times square for $159

Thanks, will look it to that next time I am going to NY :)

So, are hostels expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i have been looking at different booking sites for hotels.the problem is we need twin bed rooms and most are double bed(6 lads over for a few days).i see we can request twin but most still want you to pay/book .what happens if they aint available?can anyone recommend a good site?or hotel they have used we want it as central as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Glacier wrote: »
    I've heard that Hostels are **** expensivbe in New York. What would be the cheapest they would go for?
    Glacier wrote: »
    So, are hostels expensive?

Have you checked any of the stickies?
    http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/New-York

Yeah, that's what I'm saying they seem reasonable, but in Lonely Planet books they were saying like $400 a night, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

anyone know what the story is whith locking suitcases? are you allowed have little padlocks on your checked in baggage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 risteard85

fifib wrote: »
    anyone know what the story is whith locking suitcases? are you allowed have little padlocks on your checked in baggage?

Yes you can lock them but if they feel the need to open them they will! You are better off buying the special locks that are designed for airports to open and this saves a broken lock and you having to buy another one! They are sold in the airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

risteard85 wrote: »
    Yes you can lock them but if they feel the need to open them they will! You are better off buying the special locks that are designed for airports to open and this saves a broken lock and you having to buy another one! They are sold in the airport

do you happen to know how much theycost and if they can be got in the shops?

fifib wrote: »
    do you happen to know how much theycost and if they can be got in the shops?

I remember buying them in florida for $3 and there were 2 in the pack but here i cant remember what i bought them for think it could have been about €8/9. (lost the first ones!!) That was only last year so they should still be in or around that! Yes you can but them in some shops but definatly in the airport in that little luggage shop between the car park and departures!

oh and their called TSA locks they have a red diamond on them! They are essential now for USA travel

http://www.tmorgan.co.uk/tsahome.htm <---- This is just one type of them

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Will be in New York for Welsh game, any ideas of a good irish pub to catch it in, it'll be at around 11am local time..... Will be staying in Harlem very close to Central Park...... Any experience of good pubs in New York

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

epopnomis wrote: »
    Will be in New York for Welsh game, any ideas of a good irish pub to catch it in, it'll be at around 11am local time..... Will be staying in Harlem very close to Central Park...... Any experience of good pubs in New York
    Same as me...please guys anyone know where we can catch this match on Saturday the 21st...I am packing my rugby shirt to bring when we do the biz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

im also in new york that weekend so any suggestions would be great.times square area

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Folks, I am heading to NY in the morning with Aer Lingus on flight EI-105 departing at 10:30 does anyone know if that flight clears immigration in Dublin or NY??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Dublin, normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Probably will be heading to New York end of May, im looking into staying at New York University accomodation because its cheaper than hostels. Has anyone stayed here and if so what did they think of it? Rubin Hall is the one im looking at.

Also can anyone advise on a place to get a good apartment for a few weeks there, because ill only be in NYU accomodation a few weeks. 1 or 2 bedroom apartment maybe, nothing too fancy or anything? Was looking at ones on craiglist. Only need it for me and maybe one other person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Hi all

Im looking at booking some flights to New York, going to head over for a week in August. At the moment the flights are €252 each way, so once you add on taxes etc its about 1200 for me and gf.

I noticed that flights in March/April are much cheaper. Does anyone reckon they will fall in price for August, or do you reckon the expensive fairs are due to a higher seasonal demand? Is it the norm for flights to New York to fall as the date of departure approaches?

Any advice much appreciated - the less i spend on flights the more i can spend on hotels and shows etc..

Gav

Advertisement