Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nyc baby

Newark which is where continental flies to is a nicer airport in my opinion than JFK which is where aerlingus fly into....both are reasonably the same distance to Manhattan, Newark has better views of the skyline as you drive into Manhattan which is great if your a first timer...we always taxi it to where we stay but the subway can take you to Penn station not sure exactly which one though, the taxi to Manhattan is a fixed rate to your hotel but does not include tip, hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

I'd still appreciate any help with Hostels?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

nyc baby wrote: »
    Newark which is where continental flies to is a nicer airport in my opinion than JFK which is where aerlingus fly into....both are reasonably the same distance to Manhattan, Newark has better views of the skyline as you drive into Manhattan which is great if your a first timer...we always taxi it to where we stay but the subway can take you to Penn station not sure exactly which one though, the taxi to Manhattan is a fixed rate to your hotel but does not include tip, hope this helps

Newark has an airtrain(monorail) that takes you from the terminal to Newark Liberty train station. From there it's 20-30 minutes on the train into NYC,drops you at Penn station right in the heart of midtown manhattan. It's only $15 each way and is pretty regular. The last 6 times i've flown to NYC i've gone through Newark,cleaner and less congested than JFK and a cheaper and often quicker run into the city from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Matt107av

Direct flights from Dublin seem expensive, any tips anyone? Even someone doing a city break special?
    Can flights be booked from us and paid in $.

Thanks for all the advice

Matt107av wrote: »
    Direct flights from Dublin seem expensive, any tips anyone? Even someone doing a city break special?
    Can flights be booked from us and paid in $.

Thanks for all the advice

Usually they won't let you do that unless you have a US address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

JFK also has an airtrain. If you want to land into NEwark you have to fly continental. Aer LIngus and Delta use JFK, but saying that terminal 4 where Aer Lingus takes off and departs is way nicer and easier than the ****hole that Delta uses.

My preferance would be JFK terminal 4 over Newark.

JFK also has an airtrain. If you want to land into NEwark you have to fly continental. Aer LIngus and Delta use JFK, but saying that terminal 4 where Aer Lingus takes off and departs is way nicer and easier than the ****hole that Delta uses.

My preferance would be JFK terminal 4 over Newark.

Terminal 4 at JFK has a KFC:D

Terminal 3 where Delta fly from is a dump,i'll never use them again just cause of the terminal issue.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Terminal 4 at JFK has a KFC:D

Terminal 3 where Delta fly from is a dump,i'll never use them again just cause of the terminal issue.

It also has a McDonalds, a Sbarro, chinese food, a manicure place, shops, altogether civilised.

Delta never ever ever ever again because of the terminal. Rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭nikki 122

I am looking for a hostel or some sort of accomodation to stay in for a year, it's early days yet because I am not sure if I have my internship yet but I need to know safe places to stay as I am going to brooklyn by myself! Thanks in advance for any adive anyone can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

nikki 122 wrote: »
    I am looking for a hostel or some sort of accomodation to stay in for a year, it's early days yet because I am not sure if I have my internship yet but I need to know safe places to stay as I am going to brooklyn by myself! Thanks in advance for any adive anyone can give.
    A hostel for a year? :confused:
    Why don't you just get an apartment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Well I booked with aer lingus.....going from the 9th-13th december, it was 820 for the 2 of us return.

got a good deal on the hudson hotel, 750 for 4 nights which isn't too bad.

http://www.hudsonhotel.com/#/home/

jay28 wrote: »
    Well I booked with aer lingus.....going from the 9th-13th december, it was 820 for the 2 of us return.
    €760 with Continental so not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I am plannign on going ot new york for paddys day. Probably for five days. Currently getting a price of €700pp for flights and hotel with tour america. Should I book now or wait until the christmas shopping deals are over and see can I get a deal for march?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I just booked flights for Paddys day with Continental into Newark for 4 of us, around €400 each return from Shannon. Must look for a hotel now.
    The €700 you are quoted seems ok but check out the hotel on tripadvisor first in case it's a kip or in an akward area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Slunk wrote: »
    I am plannign on going ot new york for paddys day. Probably for five days. Currently getting a price of €700pp for flights and hotel with tour america. Should I book now or wait until the christmas shopping deals are over and see can I get a deal for march?

Flight prices to NY are traditionally more expensive than the rest of March around Paddy's Day because well it's Paddy's day.

I would doubt those dates would be on sale in the future

If anything, the longer you wait the higher they'll go as Paddy's Day is a big deal in NY and as such, demand for tickets will go up the closer it gets to March.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Posting on behalf of family member who is looking for reasonable hotel accommodation in New York City, mid town Manhattan, in early October. Any recommendations? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Got back from NYC last week, stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn on West 35th in mid-town. I can highly recommend it. The hotel is new (opened in February) and is not a monstrosity with a 5 minute walk to your room like some NY hotels. Great location, subway right outside the door, beside Macy's.

Be careful when you book, there are several Garden Inns.

PS - Make sure to check our Cafe Wha? in Greenwich Village for some of the best live music in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wjc

Just back from New York. If heading to midtown take Airtrain from terminal to Jamaica Station and the take E subway to midtown.Whole journey takes less than 1 hour and costs $7. Save yourself $50 on taxi and put it towards something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

wjc wrote: »
    Just back from New York. If heading to midtown take Airtrain from terminal to Jamaica Station and the take E subway to midtown.Whole journey takes less than 1 hour and costs $7. Save yourself $50 on taxi and put it towards something else!

Unless it's your first time, in which case $50 is easily worth if for the approach from JFK to the cityscape skyline that is NYC.

• Advertisement

Just a word of advice about using the yellow cabs - most probably know this- pay while you are still in the taxi. I know of a couple of tourists [english] who got out of the taxi, gave the driver 100 expecting change, and the driver drove off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just a word of advice about using the yellow cabs - most probably know this- pay while you are still in the taxi. I know of a couple of tourists [english] who got out of the taxi, gave the driver 100 expecting change, and the driver drove off.

In Ireland do you pay when you get out of the taxi ?

Ponster wrote: »
    In Ireland do you pay when you get out of the taxi ?

I never do.

Anybody that pays outside of the taxi watches too many movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭nikki 122

I have found a house to share with two new yorkers so i am quite happy the website i found it om was http://roommate.new-york-apartment.com
    best site ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have booked the New Yorker Hotel in Midtown Manhatten for the end of October. We are going to a club in the Meat Packing District on our first night. Anyone any idea how far this is from Midtown Manhatten? Are we best getting a cab or subway or what?

gimmick wrote: »
    I have booked the New Yorker Hotel in Midtown Manhatten for the end of October. We are going to a club in the Meat Packing District on our first night. Anyone any idea how far this is from Midtown Manhatten? Are we best getting a cab or subway or what?

If you know where exactly you're going you could get the subway down. The 1/2/3 & A/C/E lines will drop you down to 14th street on the west side(nearest the meatpacking district). If in doubt get a taxi,won't take you long to get there.

Subway is really easy to use once you get used to it. Pick up a map in your hotel lobby and it'll have the lines marked out on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Has anyone been at the Patricks Day parade? Just wondering how long does it go on for and what's the weather usually like then? Will the kids get bored with it after a while?

• Advertisement

I haven't been to it but heard it's pretty boring. Lots and lots of marching bands and not much else. Weather can get quite cold in March, i've seen snow during the parade in previous years.
    I was over there in February a couple of days after they had the snow storm and it was COLD! Something like minus 10, coldest I've ever been! But the weather got better as the days went by and it was up around 18 for the last couple of days. Bit crazy really!

Advertisement