Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

Best Buy - they're everywhere and very cheap.
    Try PC Richards as well, don't think they'll have as much of a selection though.
    Thanks for your help. Will give them a shot. Googled it and the nearest one to my hotel is: 62nd And Broadway NY (Store 1448)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Went to NYC from the 18th to the 28th July, stayed in the Hampton Inn http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=NYCMTHX
    Great hotel, great room, the only bad thing i could find about the hotel was that the shower head didn't come off the wall so it was harder to wash me wobbly bits ;)

ps and Woodbury Common was great, its much cheaper than NYC and its not too busy a place so its fairly relaxing for shopping around compared to NYC. The only thing i will say when you get to WC, don't go shopping mad straight away cos you'll be carrying around bags all day. We ended up getting a locker($10) and left our shopping in that while we shopped some more.

If you're looking to buy runners china town sports stores are way cheaper than times square sports stores

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

can someone show me where these return flights for 400euro are?
    ive checked aer lingus and cant see them
    thanks

€487 flying out Oct 9th

Only €381 with Us Airlines with a stop in Philly.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

thanks

Try Delta or Continental Airlines, Both fly direct to New York.
    Continental airlines cost me 350euro Shannon to New york direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Thanks for your help. Will give them a shot. Googled it and the nearest one to my hotel is: 62nd And Broadway NY (Store 1448)

B&H is the electrical goods store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Any restaurant tips for the midtown area? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just somewhere to pop in and get decent food before a show. Last time I was there I ate in places I stumbled upon. Which was pretty hit and miss so some good recommendations would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Pigalle on the corner of 48th st and 8th Ave, nice grub, reasonable price, only a block from Times Sq

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Hi guys im just wondering what the weather is usually like in December... im going on the 10th for a week.. and also is there any sports games on around that time of the year or other events that are a must see?!
    Cheers!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Gal44 wrote: »
    Hi guys im just wondering what the weather is usually like in December... im going on the 10th for a week.. and also is there any sports games on around that time of the year or other events that are a must see?!
    Cheers!!:)
    Google "New York Weather December"

...and go to Ticketmaster US and search their sports section for December

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

Hi everyone,

A few questions for those more knowledgable than me about NY:

I know you can buy discounted tickets over there by queuing at the booths, but was hoping to avoid this - has anyone managed to get discounts online?

I'm trying to decide between Phantom of the Opera and West Side Story - any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

thanks

Im just after doing a quick search with aerlingus, and from the 16th october to 3 november you can get return flights for €412/person.

Travel mid week and it will usually be cheaper, if you have flexible travel dates you will also find cheaper flights with in a day or two of when you want to go.

As for accommodation, I was there last november for 7 nights and paid the equivalent of €100 for the whole stay. We did stay in a hostel in a 12 bed dorm, which i gather by your post wouldnt be suitable, but you can get cheap accommodation of you search wisely. Hostels usually have private rooms, which are usually just as good as a hotel if you plan to only us it for sleep and storage of presents etc.

Try look for accomodation outside of manhatten itself, or up at the very top of it, north of central park and you will usually find good quality accomodation for cheap. If you do this try keep near a subway line and travel will only cost you $25 for unlimited travel on MTA services (which is the main bus and subway service in NYC) for a week. Theres a special weekly ticket that you can purchase at the subway station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

SligoL wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

A few questions for those more knowledgable than me about NY:

I know you can buy discounted tickets over there by queuing at the booths, but was hoping to avoid this - has anyone managed to get discounts online?

I'm trying to decide between Phantom of the Opera and West Side Story - any advice?
    http://www.broadwaybox.com/ is quite good. Just click on the show you want and it will display the discount code and let you buy tickets from there. You should get discount Phantom tickets no bother. But West Side Story might be a bit more tricky, I think its selling pretty well right now and might not be discounting any tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

Thanks for your help, broadwaybox is a very helpful website.

I've booked the revolving restaurant "The View" for dinner while we're there. Has anyone been? Would you recommend the restaurant for the dinner menu or the lounge for the dinner buffet menu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

I was thinking of going in early December, what airline would be the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

hey guys,

just booked this place....any one stay here before? seems like a great location and price not too bad either

http://www.heraldsquarehotel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Whats the best thing to do with Subway in New York? We're gonna be there for 5 days. Can you get a 5 day ticket so that you can travel the subway everyday or anything like that?

Reganovski wrote: »
    Whats the best thing to do with Subway in New York? We're gonna be there for 5 days. Can you get a 5 day ticket so that you can travel the subway everyday or anything like that?
    You can get a 7 day Metrocard. Which gets you unlimited access to the subway and buses. It costs $27. You can get it at booths or vending machines at most subway stations. More info at http://www.mta.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

You can get a 7 day Metrocard. Which gets you unlimited access to the subway and buses. It costs $27. You can get it at booths or vending machines at most subway stations. More info at http://www.mta.info/

Are you restricted to where you go with this or can you go everywhere on this map?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Reganovski wrote: »
    Are you restricted to where you go with this or can you go everywhere on this map?

Ticket covers all subways... You can travel whereever you like on the subway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have a decent price off ebookers as we wish to fly into Washington and out of NY, however the flight ex NY is from Newark, NJ. We hope to stay in Manhattan. Is it difficult to get to Newark from NY or is it a simple cab/train/subway?

Thanks

• Advertisement

You can get a train from Penn Station to Newark Airport, About 20 - 25 minutes. Costs around $15.

gimmick wrote: »
    I have a decent price off ebookers as we wish to fly into Washington and out of NY, however the flight ex NY is from Newark, NJ. We hope to stay in Manhattan. Is it difficult to get to Newark from NY or is it a simple cab/train/subway?

Thanks
    Don't get a cab. I was over there in March and a friend that goes all the time told me to get a Cab to and from the Airport.

Coming from Newark you can pre-book from www.dial7.com and it costs about $50 depending on the car you get and I suppose it's not too bad if there's 2 or more people.

But the night before I was going home I asked the doorman at the hotel how much the taxi to Newark would be and he told me about $50.
    Wasn't til I was on my way that the taxi driver told me that the fare was going to be around $90!!! Robbing B*&%^/!
    In hindsight I should just got out but I think I was in shock to do anything.

You can also get the bus from the Port Authority in Central Manhattan for a fraction of the cost of a taxi. Next time I go I won't be getting a taxi for sure!! Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DoraExplora

Hi all, thinking of going to New York for Thanksgiving cause was told the x-mas lights wud b up at this stage, als wanted to see them, is this true, hate the cold so wud luv to go before it gets unbearable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

New York for Thanksgiving is just wonderful. The decorations are up and the skating ring at the Rockefeller Center will be up and running. The Ice rink in Central Park will also be open.

The best bit for shopaholics is the day after Thanksgiving. Black Friday and that whole weekend have the greatest sales you will ever find. Buy the local papers on the Wednesday and get extra discount coupons.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DoraExplora

oh ya i know black Friday..even sounds dangerous!! cant wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mrliffey

Flight to New york. not too bad a the moment for December. €819 return for 2 adults. Some great deals for hotels to be had for that period too.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭netvista

does anyone know of any good outdoor shops in NY

What's an "outdoor shop"?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭netvista

it's a shop that sells clothes and other items for outdoor pursuits such as hiking, skiing or water sports. something similar to the great outdoors shop in dublin

• Advertisement

netvista wrote: »
    it's a shop that sells clothes and other items for outdoor pursuits such as hiking, skiing or water sports. something similar to the great outdoors shop in dublin
    Haha. Sorry, I thought you meant like an outdoor market! :o

Advertisement