Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Maximus82

Just wondering if hotels in NY are generally more expensive in Sept that during the summer months? Going over in Sept but the hotels are fairly expensive for that month compared to say July and August. Also, if u bid through priceline or hotwire, how long do u have to wait before u find out if u get a hotel or not? Thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You find out immediately after you pay (hotwire) or after your bid has been accepted (if it is accepted) and you've been charged (priceline). No waiting :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Maximus82 wrote: »
    Also, if u bid through priceline or hotwire, how long do u have to wait before u find out if u get a hotel or not? Thanks.

Hotwire show some of their prices in advance. With Priceline you'll wait about 10 seconds :)

Remember that if you don't get a place with Priceline it may be best to wait 24 hours to rebid rather than changing your preferences (e.g. area, stars,...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Looking to book The Lion King, Broadway for July. Is it best/cheapest to do this through the broadway website?

I'd prefer a seat next to an isle, how can i pick exactly what seat i want? The website only seems to tell me a row and seat number but doesn't show where that seat is situated

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Looking to book The Lion King, Broadway for July. Is it best/cheapest to do this through the broadway website?

I'd prefer a seat next to an isle, how can i pick exactly what seat i want? The website only seems to tell me a row and seat number but doesn't show where that seat is situated
    Booking in advance tends to cost more. But there is an option for cheaper tickets and that's through TKTS. There's one located in Times Square and another Downtown.

More details here

Tickets generally go on sale on the day of the show and the discounts are huge, although you're not guaranteed a great. However, when I was there in March I managed to get great tickets for two sell out shows (about 5 rows from the front) for half price. Most people tend to buy their tickets this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I'm almost certain that there were no tickets for the Lion King on the two days I checked, and that was at the seaport where the booths open earlier in the day. It is still very popular and consequently sells out without the need for TKTS. I did get 4 tickets for Wicked directly from the Box Office, so you could try that when you get there, but no guarantees of course. I hate paying the ticketmaster charges!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Ye i think i'll stick with the broadway site and get a garunteed seat.

Now what about seating, i sort of want an aisle seat but the website doesn't really let you pick your exact seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Maximus82 wrote: »
    Just wondering if hotels in NY are generally more expensive in Sept that during the summer months? Going over in Sept but the hotels are fairly expensive for that month compared to say July and August. Also, if u bid through priceline or hotwire, how long do u have to wait before u find out if u get a hotel or not? Thanks.

There's some tennis or golf tournament on in september - demand and supply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Now what about seating, i sort of want an aisle seat but the website doesn't really let you pick your exact seat?
    Find out what theatre the show is in. Then go to the theatre's official website to see if they have a seating plan. Most of them do. If it doesnt then google the theatre name plue 'seat plan'. Some site will have it. That way you will see what seats are on the aisle. Then when you are booking tickets keep rejecting the seats they offer until you get one on an aisle.

Or just ring the box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

Has anyone been to the Revolving Restaurant - The View - I am going to NY in Sept and booked the restaurant via opentables.com in the hope that an early booking would secure a window seat - which would be amazing. However the booking states that they cant guarantee a window seat. Does anyone know any more about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Keenski

was in the view back in 2001 and it was such a great experience with an amazing view. think the best time is in the evening just as the sun is going down. we arrived for a pre-theatre dinner and the restaurant was not very busy. so i presume if you have an early booking you should get a window seat.

have a great trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Im just wondering which airport is the best to fly to? My friend and I are going for a week in December from Dublin to New York.
    Also any recommendations on who to fly with so far we're thinking of going with Delta airlines...

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well you've only got a choice of JFK or Newark really (Delta and Aer Lingus go to JFK, while Continental go to EWR/Newark). Each has good and bad points depending on where in NY you're going, and how you want to get there.

Personally, I prefer JFK but bewarned - the Delta terminal complex there is horrible. It's a excrutiating experience vs Terminal 4, where Aer Lingus operate from. Newark is OK as airports go, but Continental run 757's on the Dublin to Newark route which not everyone is fond of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just a bit of info for anyone heading over later in the year,the crown of the statue of liberty was re-opened july 4th. You can book tickets in advance through http://www.statuecruises.com/ . The crown tickets are sold out up until september but i got one for november no problems.

It's a fair old hike up to the crown and the views aren't spectacular(liberty faces the harbour) but worth doing as a once off imo.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Well you've only got a choice of JFK or Newark really (Delta and Aer Lingus go to JFK, while Continental go to EWR/Newark). Each has good and bad points depending on where in NY you're going, and how you want to get there.

Personally, I prefer JFK but bewarned - the Delta terminal complex there is horrible. It's a excrutiating experience vs Terminal 4, where Aer Lingus operate from. Newark is OK as airports go, but Continental run 757's on the Dublin to Newark route which not everyone is fond of.

Great thanks for the info!

So yesterday i seen Delta flights to New York in December for 285euro... great price.. Today they have gona up a 100euro!! :(
    Cant believe it. what are the chances they'll come down any bit or does it usually keep getting higher?.. i know 390 isnt a bad price but compaired to 285! so dissapointing..
    Thanks

Try Continental

Hi im just wondering what continental airlines are like to fly with? i was planning on flying with Delta because yesterday i seen Delta flights to New York in December for 285 euro... great price.. But today they have gone up a 100euro.. but Continental airlines still seem to have a good enough price...
    Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I flew to Newark with them last year a few times, no problems, good prices, all the seats have TV's. Good service imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Going to NYC for a few days in december.

Planning on getting an apartment as I'd have to get 3 rooms in a hotel to fit the family.

Does anyone have any recomendations of nice penthouses etc in Manhattan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Right, meself and herself are heading to America in September.
    We're going to Boston first but plan on heading to New York around the 9th September. We're then planning to head to Washington for another few days. But we're not sure whether to stay in New York for 4 days and Washington for 4 days or 5 days in New York or 3 days in Washington. Anyone got any opinions on it? Is there much to do in Washington for 4 days to keep us going?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Reganovski wrote: »
    Right, meself and herself are heading to America in September.
    We're going to Boston first but plan on heading to New York around the 9th September. We're then planning to head to Washington for another few days. But we're not sure whether to stay in New York for 4 days and Washington for 4 days or 5 days in New York or 3 days in Washington. Anyone got any opinions on it? Is there much to do in Washington for 4 days to keep us going?

2 days in washington would be enough in my opinion unless you're really into museums. Spent 2 days there last november,was more than enough time to see all there is to see around the mall and about 3 museums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭automaticflare

Hey guys,

i know there is a new york thread that i have plundered for many ideas but i just cant seem to find an answer there for this.....

im looking for a hotel for €100 a night. i know its kinda cheap but my gf lost her job and we already had flights booked so weve had to re adjust some of our options as a result.. ive searched everywhere, even a private room, ensuite, in a hostel would be fine. anything as long as we can still go!!

going november 4th for 7 nights

Anyways, has anyone any recomendations for this???

Mods feel free to move this if you think its not appropriate for its own thread!!
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

Hey guys,

i know there is a new york thread that i have plundered for many ideas but i just cant seem to find an answer there for this.....

im looking for a hotel for €100 a night. i know its kinda cheap but my gf lost her job and we already had flights booked so weve had to re adjust some of our options as a result.. ive searched everywhere, even a private room, ensuite, in a hostel would be fine. anything as long as we can still go!!

going november 4th for 7 nights

Anyways, has anyone any recomendations for this???

Mods feel free to move this if you think its not appropriate for its own thread!!
    thanks!

I stayed in Best Western Seaport Inn last March and it was relatively cheap. The rooms are big and you have a breakfast room where you can get bread, bagesl, tea, coffee, fruit, waffles, yoghurts etc. It is about 5 minute walk to the nearest subway and then 10 minutes or so on the subway into Times Square. Taxis from Time Square cost between $15 and $20, there were 3 of us, so we got them home some nights.
    You are alos near the Pier area for other restaurants. And I just checked out the price for 2 people sharing for 7 nights from 4th of November and it is coming up as $1710.10, which is about €1203.40

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

Hi
    Just been told about the Riverhaed Tanger outlets in Long Island.. would welcome opinions and advise on how these compare with the Garden Plazz in NJ or Woodbury Common :confused:
    Many thanks
    mv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

lord lucan wrote: »
    2 days in washington would be enough in my opinion unless you're really into museums. Spent 2 days there last november,was more than enough time to see all there is to see around the mall and about 3 museums.
    I agree, I did 2 days last June 08.

Can anyone recommend a budget hotel in new york city? We're staying for 5 nights in December, we don't mind if its small or anything just clean! Would like to be close enough to some the sights too dont want to spend most of the day travelling on the subway! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

http://newyorkerhotel.com/index.html

Stayed here twice. Cheap, clean and central. Can't complain.

Milford Plaza

Stayed there in March. Got a really good deal. Think it was €800 for 7 nights.

The location is amazing. Dead central

Reviews on Trip Advisor are mixed but I thought it was brilliant for the money. Could maybe do with updating the decor in the rooms but I didn't go to NY to admire the wallpaper in my hotel room.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Milford Plaza

Stayed there in March. Got a really good deal. Think it was €800 for 7 nights.

The location is amazing. Dead central

Reviews on Trip Advisor are mixed but I thought it was brilliant for the money. Could maybe do with updating the decor in the rooms but I didn't go to NY to admire the wallpaper in my hotel room.

Yeah i was looking at that hotel alrite looks good, it got a few bad reviews like some not very nice bedrooms but apart from that it seemed to be really good and a great location... we're both in our late 20's so dont care what the wallpaper will be like!
    Will def look into it
    Thanks!

Advertisement