Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC Megathread Archive 1 (to 13/03/08)

Options
  • 13-05-2007 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi,

I am going to NY for 6 days at end June-am happy to stay out of town in New Jersey perhaps. Can anyone suggest a good hotel or apartment for a family of 4 adults. Place with pool ideal.

Feachan

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

do a search - this has come up loads of times

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Well, Me and my boyfriend are heading to New york at the start of december this year for 5 nights. He thinks thats its like sending two lambs to the slaughter...
    We really havent a clue!
    I have flights and hotel booked and all that crack.
    I suppose what i really want to know is:
    Transport - is it easier to just get cabs, i.e. from JFk to hotel or would a bus be easier? Is it easy to get around on buses?
    Shopping- ok i know about canal street and woodbury commons so will prob head to them.
    Whats the story with tips..? do we have to tip everyone? how much?
    How cold will it be...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Femmy wrote:
    Well, Me and my boyfriend are heading to New york at the start of december this year for 5 nights. He thinks thats its like sending two lambs to the slaughter...
    We really havent a clue!
    I have flights and hotel booked and all that crack.
    I suppose what i really want to know is:
    Transport - is it easier to just get cabs, i.e. from JFk to hotel or would a bus be easier? Is it easy to get around on buses?
    Shopping- ok i know about canal street and woodbury commons so will prob head to them.
    Whats the story with tips..? do we have to tip everyone? how much?
    How cold will it be...?

When you get there buy yourself a Metro card, should cost $24 i think for a 7 day pass and that will get you on as many subways as you want (i think buses aswell) but the subway is by far the easiest way of getting around. Never figured out the bus while we were there.

If you are going to get cabs everywhere it will add up and cost a fortune in the long run, save your money for shopping. When I went last year i was with two other lads so obviously shopping wasnt high on our list of priorities but we did hit a shop called Century 21 which is right at ground zero so if you venture down that way drop in and have a look around, I spent an absolute fortune in there.

Theres also woodbury common and jersey gardens, the bus company (greyhound i think) runs day trips there and back, leave early and get back in the evening type thing. Didnt get to do this last time but might this year.

Oh and theres a huge virgin megastore at times square that stays open till 2 in the morning and has absolutely everything in it! Think it was 3 floors and just huge..worth a visit.

What hotel did you choose out of interest and did you get a good deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Take the airtrain from the airport. Dont take the buses. Use the subway.

Tipping:

In restaurants: you will notice the subtotal, then the tax, and then the total. Add the tip by DOUBLING the tax. This comes to just over %15 - the standard tipping amount. ALWAYS TIP THE WAITER.

In bars - a dollar or two per round. You can expect a free round for ever 3 or four. If you dont tip forget it.

Hairdressers and beauticians - anywhere between 10 and 20%

Taxi Drivers - I usually go for 12%

• Advertisement

What hotel did you choose out of interest and did you get a good deal?

I booked the regency inn and suites , got it for $965 for 5 nights...
    but i think i will cancel that booking and book somewhere else, the reviews on trip advisor arent that good. I guess we will have to pay alot more for better quality..

ok cancelled this
    for this

they are roughly the same price around €990 for 5 nights in dec, the regency was way more central, but as you can see the reviews are awful...
    the Park South , looks like a good deal..the revies are fairly good...so hopefully i've made the right decision.

Yeah that doesnt look too bad at all, im still trying to find the right hotel.. at the right price.

There is so many hotels to choose from though! Looking hard at the Pod hotel now which works out at 200 euro per night, very small rooms but modern clean and good location are all pluses. Sure last time I went we simply slept and showered at the hotel so room size is not that big a deal.

One place I would like to stay though is here: http://www.hotelonrivington.com/
    It looks amazing and not overly expensive for what it is but its a bit out of the way as well.

One place I would like to stay though is here: http://www.hotelonrivington.com/
    It looks amazing and not overly expensive for what it is but its a bit out of the way as well.

Wow that is amazing looking..
    When are you going over?
    I think the Park South looks like a good deal and its only €1345 for the 5 nights, which isnt bad. it isnt as central as the regency but its not too far out either..

Was originally looking at October but from working out costs mid-September seems to be the time, going for 5 nights also and looking more and more likely that we'll be staying in the pod. It's cheap (for NY) central and the reviews are all good...

Can't wait to go back over, hope the ice rink is still at the rockefeller centre too, couldnt use it last time as my wrist was broken!

• Advertisement

Yeah i cant wait to go iceskating either, it will be a challenge to get my boyfriend out skaking though.
    Any idea of how cold it will be in december...? will it be freezing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So one of my buddies and I are flying to New York in August and were told to go via London with an airline that isn't Aer Lingus as competition between other airlines will yield cheaper results.
    However, the only other airlines I know to hand are Virgin and British Airways.
    Can anybody reccomend some others please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

So one of my buddies and I are flying to New York in August and were told to go via London with an airline that isn't Aer Lingus as competition between other airlines will yield cheaper results.
    However, the only other airlines I know to hand are Virgin and British Airways.
    Can anybody reccomend some others please?

You could also try Contenential from Shannon (maybe Dublin also) to Newark (Just across the river from Manhattan)
    I also think Delta fly from to NY and there is the Fly Globe Span from Knock to NY http://www.globespan.com/IRE/index.asp?lan=IR

The reason BA and Virgin are the only ones from the UK to NY may be something that is due to the existing pre- One Skys setup, the market should open up once Open Skys is fully implemented.

August is a very busy time for flights to tje US

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I'm going from Dublin -New York, New York -Orlando, Orlando-Dublin in September and the cheapest by far was Continental. Only worked out 750 euro each return.
    American Airlnes were cheap too but chose Continental.

i'm going to new york with aerlingus in dec flights were €350 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Femmy wrote:
    i'm going to new york with aerlingus in dec flights were €350 return.
    Aer Lingus flight have traditionally been much dearer in July, August, St. Patrick's Day, and at Christmas time and much cheaper in Nov, early Dec, Jan and Feb

i did get them in the sale in january alright.

At the moment you have Continental and Delta direct or via Shannon from Dublin.

At the moment you have from Heathrow Virgin, BA, American Airlines, Air India and Kuwait Airways (the last two may be cheap, but are a bit of an experience....).

You have Delta and Continental from Gatwick. However going via London seems silly for what is essentially not that long a flight from Dublin seems a terrible waste of time. Aer Lingus isn't too bad on a DUB - NYC route (not great, but not awful in my experience), but you also have Delta and Continental if you are dead set against using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

While fares via London often appear cheaper when you factor in the extra Govt taxes, airport taxes etc it's often only a small difference between the two. You then have to decide whether that's worth an extra three hours each way on your journey time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

My sister was there last November and it wasn't that cold yet. Average about 10 C.

I went in Feb and it was pretty cold. 0 C most days and some days and night dipping below this to -5 C.

Just wrap up well and you'll be fine.

Just for anyone interested here is where I stayed:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d224223-Reviews-Red_Roof_Inn_Manhattan-New_York_City_New_York.html

It's only a 2 star but very clean, very well priced. Got it for €110 a night after booking 6months in advance and great location. 1 minute walk to Macy's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I recommend the Red Roof Inn Manhattan, stayed there for a week last January and a twin room in a very central location cost $120 a night plus tax. So it was $60 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

BuffyBot wrote:
    Aer Lingus isn't too bad on a DUB - NYC route (not great, but not awful in my experience).
    Really? How do you mean an experience?

I mean when I've used them on that route, they haven't been all that bad. They're unlikey to win any awards for facilities or catering, of sometimes even friendlyness - but for a direct flight from DUB - NYC I can live with them

*thread merged into NYC megathread*

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Take the airtrain from the airport. Dont take the buses. Use the subway.

Tipping:

In restaurants: you will notice the subtotal, then the tax, and then the total. Add the tip by DOUBLING the tax. This comes to just over %15 - the standard tipping amount. ALWAYS TIP THE WAITER.
    In bars - a dollar or two per round. You can expect a free round for ever 3 or four. If you dont tip forget it.

Hairdressers and beauticians - anywhere between 10 and 20%

Taxi Drivers - I usually go for 12%

I have heard it is standard to tip there but what if you get really bad service??? I regularly tip in dublin but refuse to if I have a bad experience or bad service.
    What would happen if you dont tip??? even if you get good service or not

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

man1 wrote:
    I have heard it is standard to tip there but what if you get really bad service??? I regularly tip in dublin but refuse to if I have a bad experience or bad service.
    What would happen if you dont tip??? even if you get good service or not
    If you get really bad service then don't tip. 15-20% seems the norm for food. If you don't tip then the results could be:

Worse case scenario - the person will shout out something snotty as you leave.
    Best case scenario - The next time you go back you will definitely get sub-par service.

A couple of points leading on from metrovelvet's quote:

- If you are buying drinks in a bar you should generally give 1$ per drink (not per round) or your barman will consider you a bad tipper.

- If you are foreign in a restaurant be prepared for the "grat". "Gratting" (gratuity) will happen if you are foreign and/or if you are in a group of 4 or more people (depending on the place). This is typically a 15%-20% automatic tip placed on your final bill. Therefore - if you get gratted - you don't need to tip.

This post on craigslist is a funny and very relevant guide from a bartender in America. I know of a good few bartenders that agree with 95% of this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

Ok just an option for ya. We stopped staying in hotels on our last few visits to the States (mainly Chicago). We booked a downtown condo in Chicago on the 54th floor which accomodated 7 of us all for $300 per night during peak season.
    No going back to hotels in the states for me. Most condo's have pool, gym, rooftop terrace, bbq area etc and all free for residents. Handy having a kitchen too!!

We booked on www.vrbo.com and would highly recommend. Chance to stay in somewhere upmarket at half the price of a hotel!!! Great if a gang of you are travelling

http://www.vrbo.com/54014

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Am heading to NYC in July and am going to try take in some shows while there.

Never been to a Broadway show before apart from The Lion King, so am looking for advice on what are the 'must-see' shows...

Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

the blue man group is amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

mick_irl wrote:
    Am heading to NYC in July and am going to try take in some shows while there.

Never been to a Broadway show before apart from The Lion King, so am looking for advice on what are the 'must-see' shows...

Any help appreciated!
    The Producers is a lot better on stage than the 2005 movie of the musical.

Blue Man always do a great show.

Try to get your tickets from TKTS on Times Sq. You may or may not get tickets for the show you most want to see, but if you're planning to see a couple anyway, you should get some of what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I went to see Mama Mia in Broadway last October and I can safely say it was a life-changing experience, truly fantastic!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement