Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 risteard85

geuro wrote: »
    Hi all

Im looking at booking some flights to New York, going to head over for a week in August. At the moment the flights are €252 each way, so once you add on taxes etc its about 1200 for me and gf.

I noticed that flights in March/April are much cheaper. Does anyone reckon they will fall in price for August, or do you reckon the expensive fairs are due to a higher seasonal demand? Is it the norm for flights to New York to fall as the date of departure approaches?

Any advice much appreciated - the less i spend on flights the more i can spend on hotels and shows etc..

Gav

Im headin to nyc on sunday and when we started looking at the flights they were near €600 each return. We kept checking them everyday and they kept coming down and got them for €260 return each. If the seats arent selling they will drop the prices but if there is a demand they will put them up. It will be expensive though for august so dont expect them to drop too much. To travel the dates im going now are €800rt each so i got a pretty good deal! keep checking but once they get low enough book them because they will rise dramatically again come closer to the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i have checked the Pennsylvania hotel website.we need twin/double rooms and it says you are guaranteed the rooms if you buy fhrough the website.so just wondering is the subtotal the full price i will pay or is there more charges coz its working out cheaper than the likes pf 1800hotels and them type of sites.it just shows a total + taxes.any other costs before i complete the reservation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

risteard85 wrote: »
    Im headin to nyc on sunday and when we started looking at the flights they were near €600 each return. We kept checking them everyday and they kept coming down and got them for €260 return each. If the seats arent selling they will drop the prices but if there is a demand they will put them up. It will be expensive though for august so dont expect them to drop too much. To travel the dates im going now are €800rt each so i got a pretty good deal! keep checking but once they get low enough book them because they will rise dramatically again come closer to the time!!

Nice on Risteard - i think I'll monitor them for the next month or so and see if they drop at all - but I'll make sure not to leave it too late

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

bluebell1 wrote: »
    Looking for ideas for shows to see on Broadway at the end of march / early april.
    I'm just back and I went to see God of Carnage and The 39 Steps. Two fantastically funny plays and GoC has a real Grade A cast. I'd highly recommend both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 risteard85

epopnomis wrote: »
    Will be in New York for Welsh game, any ideas of a good irish pub to catch it in, it'll be at around 11am local time..... Will be staying in Harlem very close to Central Park...... Any experience of good pubs in New York

Paddy Kavanaghs, its on 33rd st and 3rd ave, nice bar. a lot of the irish living over there will head there, i know thats where ill be anyway!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Ok after humming and hawing and spending weeks researching Edinburgh and Barcelona, tonight i BOOKED New York so that i cannot hum and haw and spend anymore time looking at hotels and flights and his brithday is tomorrow so i had to have something as a present so killing two birds with one stone.

Me 28, His Lordship 32
    Booked flighted with Continental from Shannon to Newark for Friday 24 April. (arrive at 11am approx) and leaving Monday Evening.

Booked The Grand Hyatt Hotel. (anyone been there?)

I've been in New York for a few weeks before as have a brother in queens but he's never been and i wanted him to see it. I've done all the touristy stuff but it was back in 2003 so long time back.

Few Questions.
    Continental: Checked baggage. It says you have to pay thats fine, its showing me prices in dollars though and not from Europe the price. Also i think i read right that its ONE hour before departure check-in. Is this correct cause with Aer Lingus when i flew to NY and Canada i checked in something like two hours before.

Grand Hyatt. I have done a search but havent found anyone here who has stayed there. Just wondering if anyone has and any feedback (i have read all reviews on hotels.com, expedia, etc)

Anything you would recommend pre-booking? What is the Top of the Rock thing?

First holiday together, actually first full weekend together as he self employed and works 7 days a week so won't get away again for another year i bet.

He loves the pub and the craic, can anyone recommend any bars. (when i there i only went to all the bars in woodside).

Places to eat.

How much money would be ok for the weekd. Would 1,000 euro cover me( with visa for backup) (i dont drink, wont be shopping crazy).

Never flew into Newark, JFK last time. How much is a taxi from Newark and how far of a ride is it?

Any anything else ye would like to tell me.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Top of the Rockerfella building, it's a great view from there and the lift up is a freaky too, it's got a glass ceiling with beaming lights and images, it's like a hallucination :) Very cool. The view is super as you get to see the Empire State building and a better view of Central Park than you get from Empire State.

He loves the pub and the craic, can anyone recommend any bars. (when i there i only went to all the bars in woodside).

Places to eat.

Ye'll be so busy taking it all in that it'll be great craic just strolling around. Eat in Carmines (opposite Toy's R Us in Times Square) It's small and mysterious from the outside, but it's a massive Italian family restuarant and it's inexpensive with a great atmosphere.

Ruby Foo's (Times Square) is all things Asian and I findi t excellent, huge portions like Carmines so take your time! :)

Never flew into Newark, JFK last time. How much is a taxi from Newark and how far of a ride is it?

Thank you

Try the New York Airport Shuttle service, it's 27 dollars each RETURN from the airport to Grand Central Station. Excellent service, the taxi's on the other hand are about 55 dollars from JFK, don't know about the cost from Newark.

http://www.nyairportservice.com/
    http://www.supershuttle.com/

Have a great time! And please please please, walk the Brooklyn Bridge. It's completely breathtaking and there is the best pizza place on the far side called Grimaldi's. http://www.grimaldis.com/brooklyn.htm

Cheerio
    Howard

Few Questions.
    Continental: Checked baggage. It says you have to pay thats fine, its showing me prices in dollars though and not from Europe the price. Also i think i read right that its ONE hour before departure check-in. Is this correct cause with Aer Lingus when i flew to NY and Canada i checked in something like two hours before.
    I’m just back from a week long trip.

I went with Continental too. I checked in about 2 hours beforehand, which was grand because we got Exit seats, loads of leg room but the seats don’t recline.

I think because of the time you’re leaving Dublin you’ll have to clear immigration over there. Early morning flights clear in Dublin.

Not sure about having to pay for checked bags as it was included in our price, although I was stung with having to pay for overweight bags on the way back. Silly really when we could’ve just brought the excess baggage through as hand luggage. I’ll know next time.

Booked The Grand Hyatt Hotel. (anyone been there?)
    I was gonna stay there as it was recommended by a friend but it was ridiculously expensive. Over twice the price of the place I stayed in. Seems like a nice hotel though and the location is great.
    Sign up for their Gold Memership on their website, it might get you an upgrade if you flash the membership card when checking in. The location is great though.

No real need to pre-book anything, or at least that’s what I found.
    The only thing that you had to pre-book was to get access to the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty.

If you are doing any touristy things it’s probably best to decide what you want to do beforehand and check the times.

The Rock is just an observation platform at the top of the Rockerfeller Centre. It’s on the 67th Floor and is quite cool actually, great views of the Empire States Building & Central Park. Think it costs either $20 or $30 dollars each.

Places to eat.
    Couple of nice Irish Bars up around 45th Street between 7th and 8th
    Perfect Pint does great food too.

I went to a couple of restaurants and wasn’t that impressed tbh, especially for the price and most places include 15% service charge.

How much money would be ok for the weekd. Would 1,000 euro cover me( with visa for backup) (i dont drink, wont be shopping crazy).
    It depends on how crazy you go but that should be more than enough.

Thank you
    Book a cab on www.dial7.com. Don't pay up front, just reserve a car and pick the cash option for payment. This way, if your flight gets delayed you won't get hit with a huge bill for the car waiting and you can just jump in a local cab and forget about your original booking.
    Journey is about 30-45mins.

Be warned that taxis from Manhattan back to Newark cost an awful lot more as you have to pay for the tolls on the way there and on the way back for the driver. If you get a yellow cab it’ll cost you about $80 or $90
    I got stung so I know this. You can get a bus from the Port Authority fro about $15

I’d recommend going to see a show on Broadway.
    I went to see God of Carnage and it was hilariously funny. Don’t book in advance though, get your tickets on the day of the performance from one of the TKTS outlets.

hshortt wrote: »
    And please please please, walk the Brooklyn Bridge. It's completely breathtaking and there is the best pizza place on the far side called Grimaldi's. http://www.grimaldis.com/brooklyn.htm
    I would recommend this 1 million %.

One of the best things we did while there. We headed over during the day and had great views and it was dark when we headed back and the view of Manhattan with the lights on was just spectacular.

Couldn't remember the name of the Pizza place though, but I'll be back again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'd recommend getting the subway to just over the Brooklyn side and then walking back into Manhatten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

reviews of the Hyatt can be found here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93450-Reviews-Grand_Hyatt_New_York-New_York_City_New_York.html

i was in New york 2 years ago and got a yellow cab from Newark airport to manhattan (pennsylvania).. it cost $60.

we're getting the train ($9 each way) or shuttle bus this time round though. there's full details on the Newark airport website

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can read robo's trip report and some recommendations here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055519108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

Im looking for feedback on the best commercial (mainstream) and Dance clubs in the Big Apple, heading there in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Im heading to New York for a week in may and am looking for some advice on a few things.im going with my mam who is into her 60's so this affects certain things for us to do.cant be draggin all over the place on subways or havin her walk huge distances.we're stayin at the hilton on 57th st.

firstly, can anyone recommend some good eating places in this part of new york.maybe an irish/american bar with some decent grub? we'll prob end up in some of the chain restaurants for lunch/dinner a good bit, but would be nice to know if theres some gems close to us.or for 1/2 evenings to go to an upmarket restaurant?

one thing i want to do while im there is take in a museum.im leaning towards the natural history museum but is there any others that are worth taking in-the guggenheim, MoMA? Looking into going to see a show, any recommendations, heard the lion king is good?

shopping wise what would people recommend out of macys, saks, bloomingdales or barneys?dont see the need in us going to all of them.also is it quite easy to find stores along 5th ave and madison or would it be recommended to know going as to whereabouts stores are (abercrombie, american eagle, AX, diesel and ralph lauren in particular).

we'll be doing the main tourist things-the bus tour, empire state/top of the rock, statue of liberty, times sq, ground zero.is there anything else that we should really do or any tips on things to do that wouldnt be too well known.the suggestion about the walking across the brooklyn bridge sounds great.would it be a tough hike for my mother? heard also to take the staten island ferry-is this just for the views or is there anything else on staten island?? are any of the other boroughs worth a look?

i know its loads of q's but any feedback is appreciated.trying to make this a trip of a lifetime for my mam.ive been before but only for a weekend while we i was on a J1 and only got the main things done and ate mostly in fast food joints so didnt get much of an insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

risteard85 wrote: »

Didn't get my flights as cheap as you did, but hanging on for a couple of weeks ended up saving me a few hundred quid.. Booked 6 nights in a suite in a 4 star in Manhattan + return direct flights with delta for 1600 euro. Not till August but I'm so excited I feel like I'm going next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

df1985 wrote: »
    one thing i want to do while im there is take in a museum.im leaning towards the natural history museum but is there any others that are worth taking in-the guggenheim, MoMA? Looking into going to see a show, any recommendations, heard the lion king is good?

not much use to you on your other questions but regarding museums i thought the Met was amazing, just the best museum i've ever been to, you could spend a full week in there. there are quite a number of places for a sit down while you're walking around so your mum could take a breather now and again, if you're into art or history it has everything, but plan your trip carefully i spent an hour wandering around the greek and roman area before i realised i'd be knackered before i got to what i really wanted to see the impressionists/19th century art. the audio guide is really good too.

I had thought of going to the lower east side tenament museum but didn't have enough time, given it's a tenement not sure how good it would be for your mum given there's likely to be lots of stairs.

now is it you or your mum who's into abercrombie???? have a great trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

My parents are going to New York in June and I'm probably going to bid for hotels on Priceline. Does anyone have recommendations of what area they should stay in?

It's their first time there, and they're not really experienced travellers. I'm thinking Midtown might be best but I'm not sure.

I've only been once and stayed in Midtown, but when I'm going again (hopefully later this year!) I'll probably stay somewhere Downtown for a different vibe. I'm I'm not sure that would suit my parents. They'll probably want to do some shopping and see the main sights.

Any thoughts?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd say Midtown East/West or the surrounding areas (Central Park South, Empire State, Times Square for them if it is their first time).

If you're into blind bidding, check out Hotwire.com too.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Just to update - I managed to get the Sheraton Manhattan Times Square (3.5 star) for $97 per night. Really happy with that price - definitely recommend priceline.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Im looking for feedback on the best commercial (mainstream) and Dance clubs in the Big Apple, heading there in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Have only been to Pacha and it was brilliant and I'm not mad into the commercial clubbing scene. Erik Morillo was DJing and P Diddy turned up on the night - was Morillo's birthday (and mine). You can have great fun there even if it is just laughing at the posers standing around with their shades on and their muscles flexed looking for attention. And if you sign up on the website you can get 2 free passes for a night of your choosing.

• Advertisement

Good piece in the Irish Times on Saturday about travelling to New York (with kids).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2009/0425/1224245326419.html

This bit would've been handy to do.
    A good starting point is the new NYC Company visitors’ centre, on Seventh Avenue at 52nd Street, where you can use interactive displays to customise your itinerary and print a unique Google Earth map of the city with your choice of attractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 guest_

Does anybody know of a place to watch the Munster V Leinster match in Manhattan?

There's a couple of Irish Bars beside each other on 45th Street.

The Perfect Pint definitely shows the Premiership Matches among other sports so I'm sure they'd show it giving the Irish connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

guest_ wrote: »
    Does anybody know of a place to watch the Munster V Leinster match in Manhattan?

Its on Setanta US, so any bar with that might show it. It'll be on about 12.30pm in New York so you won't be competing with too much sport

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

excellent thread :) going with 3 friends next Dec for 7 days, first time, can't wait so ALL advise appreciated about shopping outlets v ny city. sight seeing etc etc, booked with Air Lingus since last Jan .351 each and staying in hilton times square on 42nd street got a good deal i think with 1800 hotels
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

excellent thread :) going with 3 friends next Dec for 7 days, first time, can't wait so ALL advise appreciated about shopping outlets v ny city. sight seeing etc etc, booked with Air Lingus since last Jan .351 each and staying in hilton times square on 42nd street got a good deal i think with 1800 hotels
    Many thanks

Hey!

You'll never be stuck for things to do in NY, but if you want to fit a load of things into the 7 days you have over there, I recommend that you do some research into what areas everything is in so that you make the most of your days!
    Try http://www.viator.com/New-York-City/d687-ttd?activities=all for ideas on what you would like to do. Remember that streets go east to west (on both the east and west side of the city) with avenues going north south, extremely hard to get lost over there :D!!!

One of the things that i did the last time i was there was to go to the ground zero museum. It was a fantastic thing to do and everything is done on a very sensitive and respectful manner. See http://www.groundzeromuseumworkshop.com/, this will give you a good idea of what its about. Id also recommend that if you do this, to then go to ground zero and see what their doing with the site and to also visit st Paul's chapel which is right across the road from ground zero. Its a very somber experience, but definitely worth it.

Oh one last thing, seeing as your going over there for 7 days, get a metro card for 7 days, its only $24 (that's what it was last november anyways) and gives you unlimited travel on all subway journeys and all MTA busses. Defininitely worth it and saves you money and hassle!

So wish that i could afford to go over there this year again :(

Have lots of fun over there though!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Many thanks

jesus, booked a year in advance, that's some planning ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nails2007

just thinking of going over to new york for the summer on my own, and was wondering where would be the best place to stay for like nightlife and social life, and meet some irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Heading over next week for the 5th time so I am familiar with the likes of the Puck Fair and McSorleys but can anyone suggest some good bars/clubs in Manhattan?

Advertisement