Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW YORK Megathread (questions & answers..not chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has stayed here

http://www.portlandsquarehotel.com/

found a decent enough rate for about 500 dollars for 3 people for 3 nights and seems ok. its pretty much dead central aswell

just looking for any insight :)

Thanks
    CK

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Hi Im just wondering has anyone ever stayed in the Skyline Hotel in Manhattan? seen a good rate for there..

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has stayed here

http://www.portlandsquarehotel.com/

found a decent enough rate for about 500 dollars for 3 people for 3 nights and seems ok. its pretty much dead central aswell

just looking for any insight :)

Thanks
    CK

Have a look at www.tripadvisor.com and it will give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I don't know why everyone is saying 10% is acceptable for a tip in NY. That's an insult tbh and I worked over there as a waitress. The Irish have a bad enough reputation for being 'stingy' so please tip AT LEAST double the tax. Remember that most of your waitresses don't get paid and that their only income is the money you give them for serving you so that is what you're paying for too - it's not just tipping for above the expected good service like we have here.

Also try renting an apartment for when you go over. NY hotels are crazy expensive and you'll get an excellent deal if you rent an apartment with a couple of people - try www.nyhabitat.com or just google 'vacation rentals' or 'vacation apartments'.

Don't bother getting a taxi from Newark airport you will be charged a fortune with tolls, crossing state lines etc. Get the train! It's grand and cheap and then when you get out at Penn station, then queue for a taxi. Unless there are loads of you and in that case hire a limo it'll be about 25 dollars each including tip. Google NY limos and you'll find loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Good tip for good service. No issues. But poor service is also rewarded appropriately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I understand that and I feel the same. But a 'bad' tip IS double the tax. Remember you are paying for them to bring you your food, not only to offer you excellent customer service (which we all should get).

Waitresses in NY do not get paid so when you 'tip' them you're actually paying for receiving your meal. If it was bog standard service, just tip double the tax - they will realise that this is someone telling them to up their game.

If it's great service, tip over and above 20% (whatever you feel is deserved).

If you tip 10% (even because of shoddy customer service) it's not seen as a reflection on the waitress, it's seen as a reflection on the customer. Believe me they will take no notice of this and just think that you are a stingy mean person. And never go back - you'll NEVER get better service after a 10% tip, from anyone in that restaurant.

You're better off to write on the receipt slip - most of them have comment cards over there.

Do you see the difference? Here's the code:

10% - customer's a stingy b*stard, I will never serve him again. How dare he expect me to bring his food/drinks, taking his order, etc without paying me?
    17-18% (double the tax) - Oh, very average, I must not have served him/her properly, must work on that
    20%+ - Wow the customer must have been very pleased!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't sit well. I know the culture is different, but seriously if 'employees' are being paid only tips, they really need to find another job. If 'employees' get 17-18% tip for poor service I'm really astonished.

To me it's about the service and the attitude of the person.

There are a number of differing opinions on tipping in NYC, Trip Advisor has a guide here

This could start a debate worthy of it's own thread.

cheerio

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

hshortt wrote: »
    This could start a debate worthy of it's own thread.

MOD : It's one of After Hour's favorite topics and I'd prefer that we called it a day regarding tipping in this thread please. But feel free to discuss it outside of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah I hate the hole tipping nonsense. I tend to just give 10% wherever I am and maybe a bit more if I'm really happy with the service. And I don't give anything if a service charge is already added.

I'd heard horror stories about tipping before I went to NY and tbh it wasn't a big deal when I went.

I also think it's nonsense about the Irish having a reputation of being stingy, in fact I'd say it's quite the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Ponster wrote: »
    MOD : It's one of After Hour's favorite topics and I'd prefer that we called it a day regarding tipping in this thread please. But feel free to discuss it outside of this thread.

Well, up to the mod but im going to be visiting NY next week and the 'tipping' subject is of interest to me anyway - you can't get a serious answer in AH..

• Advertisement

geuro wrote: »
    Well, up to the mod but im going to be visiting NY next week and the 'tipping' subject is of interest to me anyway - you can't get a serious answer in AH..

That's why I suggest you open up a new thread so that it could be of use to future use to other members rather than getting lost in this giant thread that will probably get closed some day (technical thread size limits).

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Looking at buses from Boston to New York....looks like 'greyhound' are the best option. Anyone use these before?

Oh I'm also looking at JetBlue, anyone use this airline before? Do they use those planes you have to push the propeller on? :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No - JetBlue is quite nice, actually. All jets too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Reganovski wrote: »
    Looking at buses from Boston to New York....looks like 'greyhound' are the best option. Anyone use these before?

Oh I'm also looking at JetBlue, anyone use this airline before? Do they use those planes you have to push the propeller on? :D

I'd highly recommend Jetblue,flew NY-Vegas with them a couple of years ago. Comfy leather seats,loads of leg room and live tv in the seatback monitors.

I have heard stories before about New York shopping, where it is possible for tourists to show their passports in certain outlets and receive discounts on the items they wish to buy. Maybe tax exemptions or something? Sorry - a little vague, but can anyone tell me if this is true, or am I completely off the mark?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I have heard stories before about New York shopping, where it is possible for tourists to show their passports in certain outlets and receive discounts on the items they wish to buy. Maybe tax exemptions or something? Sorry - a little vague, but can anyone tell me if this is true, or am I completely off the mark?

Cheers

Macys and Bloomingdales will give you approx 10% discount if you show your international passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Blarggggh

Is New York a island or a penninsula, I know everyone says its a island. But it looks like a penninsula

Need good bar in NY guys?

Blarggggh wrote: »
    Is New York a island or a penninsula, I know everyone says its a island. But it looks like a penninsula

It's an island.

Need good bar in NY guys?

In Manhattan ?

Yelp

• Advertisement

Cheers.I was on a J1 two yearsa ago there but the city is so wild that the popular bars keep changing.Heading there on 16th to 22nd.Place is so unpredictable.Dam NY has too many bars.

Cheers.I was on a J1 two yearsa ago there but the city is so wild that the popular bars keep changing.Heading there on 16th to 22nd.Place is so unpredictable.Dam NY has too many bars.

Same thing always happens to me. I walked my wife from 32nd to 15th street only to fnd that "my" bar was closed. So I walked her up to 44th where my back-up bar had also closed !

I think we just went to Tir Na Nog instead and enjoyed a pleasant evening of no more walking :)

anyone that's been there recently, or lives there?

I'm heading tomorrow and i can't wait!

If my favourite bars in Dublin are Anseo, Dice bar, Sin é, Hogans, The Globe - Well then what part of New York is most suitable for going out when i get there? Any bars in particular that I should visit?

Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Hi guys, looking at surprising the wife witha birthday trip to NY before Novemeber, what price am i looking at it costing me for flights and accomadation. Trying to do it at the best price possible... ballpark figures would do at the moment
    thanks a million

€400 each return for the flights.

Accomadation varies a lot.
    Try priceline

anyone that's been there recently, or lives there?

I'm heading tomorrow and i can't wait!

If my favourite bars in Dublin are Anseo, Dice bar, Sin é, Hogans, The Globe - Well then what part of New York is most suitable for going out when i get there? Any bars in particular that I should visit?

Any takers?

Prob best asked in the Dublin forum?

You really can't avoid Irish bars in Manhattan but a little research on Yelp and Tripadvisor will give you a list of cool American bars.

Heading to New York at the weekend. First time there. Really looking forward to it. While I'm there I want to get some pc gear cheap, especially an external hard drive. Any suggestions on where to go. Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Blarggggh wrote: »

Manhattan's its own island, Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island and the Bronx is the only part on the mainland. So mainly islands yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

€400 each return for the flights.

can someone show me where these return flights for 400euro are?
    ive checked aer lingus and cant see them
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Heading to New York at the weekend. First time there. Really looking forward to it. While I'm there I want to get some pc gear cheap, especially an external hard drive. Any suggestions on where to go. Thanks:)

Best Buy - they're everywhere and very cheap.
    Try PC Richards as well, don't think they'll have as much of a selection though.

Advertisement