Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC Megathread Archive 2

Options
  • 06-03-2008 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

New York, New York, watcha gonna do, watcha gonna do when we come for you...

MEGATHREAD!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Thinking of going to a Red Bulls game when im over in NYC. Is it best to travel to Giants stadium from Manhattan by taxi? Or should I use public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

SofaK wrote: »
    Thinking of going to a Red Bulls game when im over in NYC. Is it best to travel to Giants stadium from Manhattan by taxi? Or should I use public transport?

There are buses that go from the Port Authority Bus Station to Giants Stadium for every event at Giants Stadium. I think it is $12 return or something like that... Easiest way and I've used it every time.

If you take a taxi you are crossing a state line and as far as I know there is an extra charge for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

SofaK wrote: »

Check out the RedBulls forum on www.bigsoccer.com They'll give you all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey,
    I know it's been covered already in this thread (I've made it to page 18 :) ) but Woodbury Commons. Is it worth going out to? Obviously, the multitude of stores available is a draw but what are they like?
    I've heard the electronics stores just have refurbished stuff and some of the clothes shops sell returned/damaged goods at discount. What can we expect? Is it just warehouse upon warehouse of bargain basement, discounted clothes or are the shops actually nice to go into and browse around? We're not planning on bringing back 10 suitcases of clothes, we're just looking for a nice place to find a few nice t-shirts/jumpers/jeans etc and the odd good bargain.

What about shopping in Manhattan itself? What are the best streets? Is it that much more expensive?? On that point, how much cheaper would Woodbury Commons be in general?

Bacchus wrote: »
    What about shopping in Manhattan itself? What are the best streets? Is it that much more expensive?? On that point, how much cheaper would Woodbury Commons be in general?

You'll find people have vastly differing views on Woodbury common.

The shops in Woodbury Common are outlet shops. So they won't have the most up to date styles, and yes some sell slightly damaged stock (eg the Levis store) but everything is clearly marked. Some shops like Lacoste or Polo will sell their classic lines (which never really go out of style) and the proces here are pretty cheap. Last time I went I got two Ralph Lauren polo shirts for $30. One costs about €70-100 here.

The stores themselves are laid out pretty nicely, and certainly aren't anything like warehouses. They look and feel like normal branded stires.

As for shopping in Manhatten, there's no real shopping district as the place is all commercial. 5th avenue and the streets around Rockefella Plaza have the mid to top range. Madison Avenue has the higher end stuff. Macys is obviously a huge attraction for casual shoppers and tbh if you want something, you'll more than likely find it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Hey,
    I know it's been covered already in this thread (I've made it to page 18 :) ) but Woodbury Commons. Is it worth going out to? Obviously, the multitude of stores available is a draw but what are they like?
    I've heard the electronics stores just have refurbished stuff and some of the clothes shops sell returned/damaged goods at discount. What can we expect? Is it just warehouse upon warehouse of bargain basement, discounted clothes or are the shops actually nice to go into and browse around? We're not planning on bringing back 10 suitcases of clothes, we're just looking for a nice place to find a few nice t-shirts/jumpers/jeans etc and the odd good bargain.

Woodbury Common is not warehouse after warehouse at all. The shops are all laid as normal shops, plus there is a nice food hall to you can relax and take a break for a while. Coming from three lads who wouldn't be the biggest shoppers in the world, we found it a good way to spend a couple of hours shopping. Much better than then the hassle of town, or even most shopping centers.

As above there are no real streets in Manhattan for shopping, you will find the shops easy enough just by being around. For discount/outlet stuff in Manhattan go to Century 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi, anyone done the tour from New York-Manhattan to Niagra Falls?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rainman1

Hey,

Having just been in New York over Paddy's weekend, I'm not sure if I would advise anyone to bother going to Woodbury Common, even with the discount book, I found that you could pick up equal or better deals in Manhattan, especially in Macy's as they do an 11% discount on everything if you're "out of town", an Irish driving license produced at customer services will get you the discount card. The bus is around $40 return to get out there, so it's worth factoring this against a $2 subway ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 euromillions

Hi all...Great Thread. really hope someone can help me with this one

Can any one recommend a nice resturaunt to go for dinner for a special occasion

maybe somewhere with a nice view or something..not looking for somwhere tooooo expensive like the ritz

i've read about the mariot i think its called ...the one with the revolving rest....but the reviews werent great

can anyone recommend the River Cafe under Brooklyn brdge or teh Boathouse in centralpark

thanks all...rock on knocklong !

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Try menupages.com.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

How much is the cab from JFK to Manhattan now?.

Last time I was there it was $45-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mairt wrote: »
    How much is the cab from JFK to Manhattan now?.

Last time I was there it was $45-

Its the same. 45 plus tolls and tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Its the same. 45 plus tolls and tip.

yeah all in about 60 dollars...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 showboat

ellscurr wrote: »

Side note : has anyone done the NBC tour? I'm going this weekend and my friend wants to go but it doesn't look like my cup of tea :rolleyes:

hi,

im just back from NYC and i did the NBC tour. It obviously meant more to the americans on the tour because we got to see the set of Saturday Night Live and they all thought that was great. i did enjoy it though and would still reccomend it. its only $18 but it gets quite booked up so if u are doing it book in ur place early so to be sure of a place. alos while your at NBC u can ask about getting tickets to a recording of a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 showboat

What about shopping in Manhattan itself? What are the best streets? Is it that much more expensive?? QUOTE]

obviouisly macys around 33/34th street is worth checking out and go the the mezzanine level with your passort and you'll get an 11% discount card. you should also check out american eagle store on 8th avenue. i found that to be quite resonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Hey

Me and a few friends are heading to New York in June and we where thinking of all chipping in and getting an appartment together for a week.

Anybody here done this before? Is it worth doing, or would we be better off getting hostel/hotel rooms?

Can anybody recommend locations or a good site to check out?

Cant wait to go!

Thanks alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hey

Me and a few friends are heading to New York in June and we where thinking of all chipping in and getting an appartment together for a week.

Anybody here done this before? Is it worth doing, or would we be better off getting hostel/hotel rooms?

Can anybody recommend locations or a good site to check out?

Cant wait to go!

Thanks alot

Try NYHabitat.com

I used them and found them great.

HOWEVER...
    A lot of your experience will depend on the person who is letting the apartment and what they're like. If NYHabitat get complaints though they'll stop listing that apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 skinnybop

is it better to fly to newark or jfk?

skinnybop wrote: »
    is it better to fly to newark or jfk?
    If you're staying in Manhatten there's no real difference. Both take roughly the same amoutn of time to get in, and roughly same price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I've flown to both and I wouldn't say there's much of a difference, the taxi to/from Newark is a little more expensive, but we saved a bit on our flight with Continental so it balanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 thepool100

Hi All on boards

Just wondering anyone out there stayed in an apt in new york around midtown. heading out there in a few months for a couple of days and looking for somewhere reasonable to stay as we are bringing our 1 year child with us so we are thinkin it would more convenient in self catering rather than a hotel.

appreciate if anyone can give their feedback on a place they stayed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

man1 wrote: »
    So do you mean that you can reclaim the tax when you are back in ireland. Do you do it online?

Can anyone answer this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

AFAIK you will need to declare everything u buy at customs in order to claim back the tax... So you've to pay the VAT here to claim back the tax from there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aideng

thepool100 wrote: »
    Hi All on boards

Just wondering anyone out there stayed in an apt in new york around midtown. heading out there in a few months for a couple of days and looking for somewhere reasonable to stay as we are bringing our 1 year child with us so we are thinkin it would more convenient in self catering rather than a hotel.

appreciate if anyone can give their feedback on a place they stayed .

I'm going to New York next week 4 of us staying in 1 bed suite with kitchen facilaties the hotel is called the eastgate tower and gets good reviews in tripadvisor, if you pm me in 2 weeks time I'll let you what it's actually like but sounds like what you want and it won't break the bank!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Bacchus has left some good NY tips on his trip review here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055276688

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

rovers_runner has also put up a really good review:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055277508

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Just back from a week in NYC,
    Stayed at the Quality Inn in Long Island Cityin Queens, basic accomodation but a brand new hotel (under a year old) so in perfect condition.
    32" LCDs and we even had a jacuzzi in our room for €100 a night for the room.
    Breakfast is basic cereal/bagels etc. but suited us fine.
    http://www.qualityinn.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=NY400&promo=gglocal
    Is less than 5 minutes walk to the Subway (Queens Plaza) that's on the E, R and V lines for Manhattan.
    The E line is also on the Jamaica line for the Airtrain to JFK.

The place is quiet at night though as it's in redevelopment at the moment and is basically an industrial zone, is very safe though.

Other ramblings about the city here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55697387

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Fabio

Quick question lads but is most stuff in New York cheaper than here in Cork or Dublin (or Ireland in general), even with the currency rates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Fabio wrote: »
    Quick question lads but is most stuff in New York cheaper than here in Cork or Dublin (or Ireland in general), even with the currency rates?

What kind of stuff? American clothes, cosmetics, electronics yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement